• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

naggy

Field Marshal
85 Badges
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
  • Cities: Skylines
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Majesty 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Divine Wind
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
Currently, soldiers are the only poor/middle strata that really do not have a cap that will prevent provinces from overfilling.

Farmers and Laborers have the RGO cap
Craftsmen and Clerks are capped by the # of factories in the state.
Bureaucrats and clergy have the promotion capped by % in the state.

Soldiers, on the other hand, don't have a cap, and when something causes massive unemployment in a province, you'll find yourself suddenly swarming in soldiers. I'll dig out a screenshot tonight, but I have a province in 1865 China that is 22% soliders, and can support 130+ brigades.

I can't imagine any place in history where a population was 20% professional soldiers...there should probably be a cap, similar to bureaucrats and clergy.

I proposed a cap of 1% of total population (check the thread named Slowdown). That was about the level of the standing armies just before WW1. I also proposed to include the fleet in the units limit, as "big" warships of the time had a crew of some 800 people. That's 4 ships for a brigade and it would also nerf UK a bit. Let's hope it's noticed ...

Currently, soldiers are the only poor/middle strata that really do not have a cap that will prevent provinces from overfilling.

Farmers and Laborers have the RGO cap
Craftsmen and Clerks are capped by the # of factories in the state.
Bureaucrats and clergy have the promotion capped by % in the state.

Soldiers, on the other hand, don't have a cap, and when something causes massive unemployment in a province, you'll find yourself suddenly swarming in soldiers. I'll dig out a screenshot tonight, but I have a province in 1865 China that is 22% soliders, and can support 130+ brigades.

I can't imagine any place in history where a population was 20% professional soldiers...there should probably be a cap, similar to bureaucrats and clergy.

I agree, it would also have the added effect of stopping armies being implausibly huge near world war levels.

In 1.2, aren't POPs supposed to stop promoting/demoting to soldiers once you hit a certain number of recruited brigades versus total brigades?

I know this does not address the overall problem (you just recruit more brigades, and more POPs promote), but maybe armies should just cost more goods to support to mitigate army sizes as well. Right now, dreadnoughts and cruisers are pretty expensive, but the only army units that get pricey are tanks, and only after you invent the techs in Heavy Armament that increase supply cost by +50% each.

Yes, the promotion is slowed down if you hit the proportion. You can even mod in a total stop of promotion into soldiers if they reach certain % of total population. That would certainly help, but it leaves the growth of existing soldier pops. The increased support costs would certainly limit the player, but does the AI face the same limitations ? I mean, does the AI pay for its troops ? And even if it does with a strong industry even higher costs would be bearable (e.g. the AI UK which gets so huge that it could support thousands of brigades anyway). So I think the cap would be better.

When we (properly) went from directly promoting populations to only managing the environment unfortunately we were not given the proper tools to to do that. you should be able to specify how many openings that there are for bureaucrats, clerics and soldiers. I've never experiences a situation where someone simply announced that they were a priest or social worker or marine and collect a paycheck without first being hired by the related organization.

Unless there is a job opening the unemployed should be, well, unemployed.

In the budget screen you need to know how many pops you need, be able to set exactly how many pops you want to employ, know how many are actually employed, and set their pay. And if possible know how effective they are. You should be able to sand box it and then confirm your settings.

In fact, if they wanted to be spiffy about it there could be result parameters you could set to be met automatically.

Come to think of it, why do bureaucrats (and all other pops) breed more bureaucrats? Shouldn't the spawn of any pop be illiterate and unemployed?

This is why the simulation need "youth" pops that are subsidized out of the pocked of other pops.

Last edited:
Bureaucratic expansion has been nerfed beyond reason in 1.2. You can easily but really easily push down the number of bureaucrats to zero.

Clergymen are capped? Up to what by state? Capping clergymen would prevent from building up on them to increase promotions to certain jobs later in the game.

Capping soldiers to 1 pc of population? Once again, would be nicely done for uncivs.

A cap of at no more than 50% would be nice... Maybe less...