• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jmschaub

General
116 Badges
Dec 10, 2002
www.facebook.com
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
I'm trying a game as Greece. It's about 1919 and I have all but one zone to claim against the Ottomans.

The Albanians managed to free themselves from the Turks, which is a rarity in 1.2. But then I glanced around the world and my happiness diminished. I see the UK with over 50K total points. They own half of china in addition to their starting world. I click on a few chinese provinces and notice that over half their population are british. I see provinces in central asia belonging to Austria & Germany, as if they were colonized there. I see a Central America that has yet to break apart in either of my 2 games playing 1.2. And in my small world I see my Greek provinces with a Greek Minority and Albania with roughly a 20% average population of Albanians.

In my humble opinion I believe that assimilation should happen only if it's your core province or you're colonizing it. If a province could become a state for any nation then assimilation should stop. For example, when a nation conquers Crete it isn't a state yet for them. But if Greece attains it, it is a state.

So I guess my point of this is that the game is playable if you only focus on your little realm. But certain flaws in the game will impact you no matter who you choose to play. England needs to be tamed but I feel that fixing assimilation should solve some of that through rebels. But I do miss the events in Vicky 1 that triggered the independence of some nations.

I'm trying a game as Greece. It's about 1919 and I have all but one zone to claim against the Ottomans.

The Albanians managed to free themselves from the Turks, which is a rarity in 1.2. But then I glanced around the world and my happiness diminished. I see the UK with over 50K total points. They own half of china in addition to their starting world. I click on a few chinese provinces and notice that over half their population are british. I see provinces in central asia belonging to Austria & Germany, as if they were colonized there. I see a Central America that has yet to break apart in either of my 2 games playing 1.2. And in my small world I see my Greek provinces with a Greek Minority and Albania with roughly a 20% average population of Albanians.

In my humble opinion I believe that assimilation should happen only if it's your core province or you're colonizing it. If a province could become a state for any nation then assimilation should stop. For example, when a nation conquers Crete it isn't a state yet for them. But if Greece attains it, it is a state.

So I guess my point of this is that the game is playable if you only focus on your little realm. But certain flaws in the game will impact you no matter who you choose to play. England needs to be tamed but I feel that fixing assimilation should solve some of that through rebels. But I do miss the events in Vicky 1 that triggered the independence of some nations.

I think there's more or less a concensus on this forum that the UK and its assimilation of India/China needs to be toned down.

I think there's more or less a concensus on this forum that the UK and its assimilation of India/China needs to be toned down.

That's quite the understatement there mate :p

That's quite the understatement there mate :p

Well, I don't agree with some posters who seem to think that it's crazy ahistorical that the UK is in a dominant position, but yeah, them industrializing all of their colonies and getting crazy scores, there's a huge concensus about that. Historically, the UK actually destroyed Indian (textile) industry rather than building any up.

It isnt ahistorical that the UK is in a dominant position, in many ways they were the ultimate power. but they really were not the be all and end all that they are in Vicky 2. I love Vicky2 but at present the balancing is just wrong, I realise that paradox have an issue the assimilation thing was due to performance. I am guessing it is the main cause for the ultrapower of the UK, I just dont know what performance would be like if they took it out.

I havent read really that the UK shouldnt be dominant on these forums they were, only after WWI did there power significantly decrease. But they really were nowhere near their position in Vicky 2. Throughout this period they were involved in several wars that caused problems for them, such as the Boer war, Sudan, the Indian mutiny, etc. In Vicky2 though they can fight the whole world at the same time and still probably win, that is what the problem is. I fully agree that all powers in this period should be afraid of messing with the UK, just that there is a limit to how big they UK can get, plus large powers should have internal national problems. The Indian mutiny isnt really possible in Vicky 2 if all the Indians have suddenly become British.

All in all if this is sorted out Vicky2 will be great, but at present UK and assimilation need a heavy nerf, though maybe it is just the assimilation issue.

I disagree. I think millions of Indians become British is entirely fair.
It's also fair that Spain should colonise southern Argentina.

I had a longer response to this that a forum glitch ate, unfortunately. Here are the important points.

It's not just culture, it's a whole range of things involving, wrong culture, propagation of cores, rebellions, colonies vs states, and generation and exploitation of huge soldier pops. If the assimilation issue were removed from the game, you'd still see provinces in India supporting 200 brigades, they'd just be Bengali infantry rather than British guards.

I think that Paradox is going to nerf the UK, but the solution needs to be more creative than just fiddling with assimilation (or any other one thing). The problem now is that 1) huge soldier pops exist in 3rd world countries, 2) it is easy to conquer states containing these pops, especially for UK, who already owns a lot of them in 1836 anyway, 3) these soldier pops can be used to produce huge number of soldiers, 4) the provinces containing these pops become states, 5) the states become cores, 6) the number of recruitable brigades in these provinces quadruples from huge to hyper-huge, 7) cultural assimilation allows them to be guard units, 8) somewhere in there the mobilization pool goes bananas.

Also, what we have now is a game-altering UK that makes the game a huge challenge. Many people are upset about the game-altering UK, but a poor fix to this problem is going to make the UK easier to beat than Spain, and we'll be complaining about some of the other weird mechanics and OP countries that are completely overshadowed by the current hyper-OP UK, and that the game isn't much of a challenge anymore because at least now you have to devote huge effort to countering the UK if you want to compete with them on mil score and industrial score.

The root of the problem is completely money related. Sure Britain starts with millions of Indians they could turn into soldier pops, and they should that was certainly a possibility. The limiting factor here is money, Britain wasn't going to pay and supply that many troops.

This is all fine and dandy except that there is no differentiation for wealth between and Indian pop and a British pop, each can make the same amount of money. This means that the huge populations the British have in India make insane amounts of money that only scales up and up with tech. Those Indians were not using steam engines and mechanized farm machinery.

I have devised a solution to those problems, check my sig.