• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GrenadierSchube

Colonel
66 Badges
Nov 30, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
Greetings all!

This is my first SERIOUS attempt at an AAR,

also here to help me is my good friend Eric292, or was, we both had words so I guess ill be continuing this on my own =/ Thanks for the help and assistance Eric, I appreciate the time you had put aside for the first 9 hours and the effort you put into the Swedish, Hungary, and Finish Wars while i worked the East, also for the assistance with IC and Tech management before World War 2 officially started. Your assistance was greatly appreciated.

We decided to go for it all, on very hard, starting with the Soviet Union in 1936. Our goal? Total World Domination. No cheesy ways of winning, no nukes, no reserves, no spamming massive IC. Just through strength of arms. Nothing above the unit of LArmor will be built. All infantry, motorized, mechanized armies. Only Close air support, Int, Multi Roles will be used. Then of course the most important piece of our nation of all....

The Row Boat Navy.

Stalin does not care how many men die in this war of unification of the world, as long as everyone is brought to follow the communist way. We will try and update maybe every few days but who knows we are both busy! you may get some narrative pieces, some information pieces, and maybe even some arguments between the two "Generals" vying for Stalin's favor. Well hope you all enjoy!

Last edited:
Zhukov: A man of Honor and Questionable Ideas

The Eastern Front

ZhukovHimself.jpg

Zhukov, A man of few words​

Excerpt From Zhukov to Soviet People:

Greetings Comrades from around the globe! My name is Zhukov, and I am the leader of the Entire Eastern Soviet Front! I have a few general things to go over before I can continue on with the general impression of my grand scheme of securing the East for the communist cause....first off our spy network. Usually this type of information is kept secret but since we are all on the same side, why not show you!:rolleyes:

SpyNetworkInAsia.jpg

Indeed we have a very high interest in the Asian Continent, we even have spys inside our very cousins, the Chinese Communists! what will come of this? well you will find out later on if you stay for more reports....anyway on to the next order of business!

The Boss, Stalin, Put together the Cabinet yesterday after the "Election of 1936"
Government1936.jpg

Great Choices I believe as these gentlemen will all help the great communist cause in its efforts of uniting the world under one banner! A Red Banner! Red is my favorite color :p Back to business comrades! First was our production and economy with the outside world! Our production is well....to be frank quite low. Who would of known how little Industrial Capacity Mother Russia has! We thought Stalin was only kidding when he was ranting about how poor of a shape it was, but he wasn't kidding...Poor poor Stukov, A moment of silence please for General Stukov all is made quiet One must be careful to what we say around our great leader! For he is a great man! *gulp*

Productionandtrades.jpg

The only nations willing to trade with us were the Netherlands, Afghanistan, and Sinkiang! Did no one want to be our friends or something? I mean whats with that? all we offer is friendship, i mean, total world domination, but yet only the powerful Dutch respond to our needs :( it was a sad day...But back to business! On a more serious note, after all I am a great General, some important techs were accomplished recently for our armed services and home country! We also researched something called "Radar" what it is to me I don't have a clue, but I do enjoy being able to listen to Radio! maybe they are similar!?

IndustryImproving.jpg

Radar1937.jpg

Then right during a peaceful conference with some of our Chinese Warlord friends we received this disturbing transmission from our spys, First the Japanese Joined the axis before we could convince them to join the communist cause, no worries there....their time will come....but also that they landed a strike force onto the Chinese Mainland! This is unacceptable!
ChineseTheater.jpg

With War already brewing, we decided it was best to begin to advance our armed services and prepare for what all knew by now what was coming.....Tea time in the Baltic sea! uh um I mean, the eventual assault on the Enemies of the world to bring about a great change! A change so great that it might cost the lives of thousands, no Millions to make it happen! It will be one so great that forever they will know of what first steps were taken towards winning this great feat....

Dated: Summer of 1937

Very nice start, I love to play the USSR and it will be interesting to see how you deal with the very hard setting and the limitations you set for yourself. Consider me subscribed.

Dude,i think u are biting off more than u can chew.
Once u hit 39,load up and check the german ai.
Don't tell me i didn't warn u.
Also no medium armour is unrealistic,soviets won mostly because of medium armour hordes in t-34s .so why the limitation.
I have yet to meet anyone in this forum who has won with russia vs german ai in very hard.,so i'm guessing u'll be more busy trying to save ur own ass than going all conquering.
I'm now trying russia in hard and already germans are a beast.
Anyways subscribed and good luck in being the first one to kick back the nazi horde in very hard.:)

Very nice start, I love to play the USSR and it will be interesting to see how you deal with the very hard setting and the limitations you set for yourself. Consider me subscribed.

Thanks for watching! yeah Once i got to 39 i realized how intense it will be we shall see how far I get before the game ends =)

Dude,i think u are biting off more than u can chew.
Once u hit 39,load up and check the german ai.
Don't tell me i didn't warn u.
Also no medium armour is unrealistic,soviets won mostly because of medium armour hordes in t-34s .so why the limitation.
I have yet to meet anyone in this forum who has won with russia vs german ai in very hard.,so i'm guessing u'll be more busy trying to save ur own ass than going all conquering.
I'm now trying russia in hard and already germans are a beast.
Anyways subscribed and good luck in being the first one to kick back the nazi horde in very hard.:)

I am glad I am going to be able to prove you wrong, as i am much ahead of where i will be posting shortly and know what is to come =)
Stalin does not NEED armor! he has the strength of millions to support the communist cause!

Ill try an get another update today

You're a braver soul than me with those choices and limitations. Few bits to bear in mind, at that setting the Germans will have enough leadership to research pretty much everything and engage in lots of influencing, so it might be an idea to keep good reserves on all your borders. Also expect to get hit with lots of armour so keep anything that generates HA up to date and perhaps build quite a lot of AT. If you're going to skip medium armour you may want a few SPAT/TD brigades (good with both inf and mot), but the gun keys off MArm research so you may find you need to do that anyway .... and good luck ...;)

I am glad I am going to be able to prove you wrong, as i am much ahead of where i will be posting shortly and know what is to come =)
Stalin does not NEED armor! he has the strength of millions to support the communist cause!

Heh heh... Will follow this. With that attitude - this can only be good. Best of luck.

Has anyone beat german very hard ai yet with russia?:confused:
Also what is eric's role in this?does playing co op give u any advantage over single player?

Has anyone beat german very hard ai yet with russia?:confused:
Also what is eric's role in this?does playing co op give u any advantage over single player?

well he was in control of the west front for a bit, but then at one point i think he crashed so when the big war came out though, I took over the entire force. Mostly he was just involved with the wars with sweden, finland, and Hungary. Sometime today ill get to the beginning of the war I think with another post then slow the posts up cause the axis = communist war is intense and close to closure

Uhh let it be known that - I didn't crash from the game. Grenadier is a very flakey type of person, don't expect a full AAR here, and ended up leaving the game himself, and then ended all communications with me ... Ignored my attempts to get in-contact with him.

Notice how he said he 'thinks' I crashed.

Then continued to play the game in single player without me.

Thanks for taking nine hours of my life Gren, that won't be happening again.

Yeah I thought you did crash, kept playing it was pretty late so yeah it happens. i played anyway here it comes

First Offenses​
So lets get started here, first things Eric and I accomplished were the following.

1 Most of the infantry on the west front transfered East and organized into 3 or 4 armies.
Made some production and construction orders​

Eric Started the finish war Early in the 1939 range, pretty quick too, As i was busy organizing my new front in the east he overran the needed VPs pretty quick so in the end we decided to annex them entirely when this popped up

EndofFinishWar.jpg

After the neutrality was lowered enough by our spies we proceeded with the following attacks and annexed nations! After the Finish War, Sweden and Hungary were declared on, then I declared on Sinkiang, Tibet, and Afganistan. By late 1940 all of these nations were given acceptance to the communist cause!

AnnexAfghanistan.jpg

solongtibet.jpg

Sinkiangsurrender.jpg

Romania.jpg

Our Industry situation before I continued onto the later years developed quite quickly. From the measly 75 industry we had at the beginning on 1936, right when the major war with the Axis started was at this level,

Difficulty-1.jpg

The cabinet included these fine gentlemen to help augment the army in the coming war, they all seemed proficient in their duties to Stalin, offering a higher organization rate and among other useful things to the cause. Cabinet of December 1940

1940Cabinet.jpg

When all was ready, right about now by the way did I think my partner had crashed and decide to keep going as it was about 4am his time 1am my time. My apologies eric but i did not hear from you so i continued onward.

At this time, around Summer of 1941 June, the army was a pretty decent size of infantry and special forces, though no mechanized and barely any light armor/motorized brigades had been made for breakthroughs. So naturally I decided to order the assault on the axis, with a "Japan First" Policy.

JapaneseFront1941-1.jpg

Within 6 months this was the current situation, The Row boats of Stalin proved their worth by evading enemy ships in groups of 6 landed a total of 4 to 5 corps of Mountain Men and Infantry throughout the islands. The Japanese front against the Chinese collapsed being encircled in Manchuria entirely cut off from any home island supplies...Eventually the Japanese collapsed and surrendered entirely in September 1941, at this time all but 3 corps were ordered east of Zhukov's army of 650,000. They were needed for the other phase of the war.

and thats it for now, ill try and get in the German front later, I think my strategy is working as there have been some huge battles with as many as 2.5k dead on my side, sometimes equal or of more value from the other side. Ill also try and include some of the operations and advances made in the Theaters, a more detailed versions of the events that occurred. Hopefully the thought of quantity over quality will work, as if i want to go to the allies....this is gonna be a close finish

Last edited:
Wtf is going on, how are u attacking stuff like this from 37 onwards?
no neutrality cheat?
Also it would be nice to know what u built or what is ur oob rather than like post a screenshot for the whole war.

sure i can post that, this was like a fast foward post most of the wars listed were done in early after 39 and were relatively short and not to exciting. For the most part I wanted to get to the major axis war, see how fast and if I can end it, then move on to the allies and see if it was possible. no cheats were used, only thing I did was have 10 spies lowering neutrality till the finish war. once you annex Finland your threat and neutrality is pretty low enough for you to go after most of the other neighbors you have. Japan we could of gone at any second but it would of been suicide if another front wasnt large enough to handle Italy Bulgaria and Germany. Like i said just showing the overview. once i finished getting the other screen shots i guess i can show you the OOB that took on the Japanese, and the current one on the German Front. I misspoke when i said the finish war was in 37, meant 39

i fixed some of the misspoken areas, and as i said tomorrow or sunday ill get some of the OOBs and battles that occured in both theaters as currently after the fall of japan am reorganizing the entire west front for another push, currently there is a line forming o_O one that is not to my advantage

Oh ok,that clears the confusion.
Seems a very nice job,can u get a ic and minerals and tech situation too with the western armies strength.

Oh ok,that clears the confusion.
Seems a very nice job,can u get a ic and minerals and tech situation too with the western armies strength.

sure no problem! as i said its my first AAR, but way beyond my first game in the HOI3 universe. so any suggestions on what you guys, the readers, would like to see is greatly appreciated. Ill try an edit those screens so far requested tonight before i dive more into the major war occurring in the west, but I have some papers to write concerning Fire Fighting Tactics and Strategies >.> gotta love career paths

Armed Forces of the Soviet Union​

The date was around May 1941,
Zhukov was ready and waiting outside the conference room with "The Boss". He slowly sat down at his spot around the table along with the other major generals in the army. Zhukov had got the necessary numbers to overtake Japan in a few months, but sadly it left the axis mainland front a little weaker.

Time to take a look at the western front!
CentralPolishFront.jpg

BulgarianFront.jpg

NorthPolishHQ.jpg

Balkanhq.jpg

Baltic front renamed to Balkan Front

These were the four main armies organized on the western front. All of these armies had different amounts of the following corps in various formations. But for the most part these were the formations that were created with the available IC of the Soviet Union
Sometypesofcorps.jpg
Mechanizedcorps-1.jpg
Infantryantitankcorps.jpg

armycomparison.jpg

Finally I was able to relocate the plans of production and most of our resources at the time were. Everything needed to know is recorded here.
Prewarproductiontab.jpg

This was the basics of the Western front with army composition, Ill try and locate a screen of the direct holding areas of each army, but I got some more work to do on other things. I hope this answers some of your questions and if you need some more ill have some up tomorrow..

On the Eastern front were a few different armies with different tasks allocated to each.
FarEasternTheater.jpg

Fareasternarmy223rd.jpg
FarEastTheater.jpg

The last army was designated "Special Forces Army" it contained 2 corps of mountain corps and 3 corps of infantry with artillery. This army was loaded into 3 trips with 6 transports per trip. 2 Landed on their designated locations without any incident while the 3rd transport lost half its squadron to a Japanese carrier fleet. Though 3 infantry divisions made it ashore another 2 divisions and 2 HQ divisions were brought down to the bottom.

Here are some of our techs before the war was officially started.
infdoctrines2.jpg
Industrydocs.jpg
infdoctrines.jpg
Armor.jpg
Supplytech.jpg
LandDoctrines-1.jpg

Basically this is where we focused the majority of our techs before the war. Also we had up to date fighters 1941 Tech, with light bomb researched for CAS. We figured we would not need the spearhead doctrine, along with other techs if we were already using the 4 brigade style divisions. No point of a 5 brigade division when you already outnumber the enemy. Other than that just the focus of organization research and morale divisions to keep the men willing to fight. Though we are considering researching the medium armor to research mechanized, but at the same time we are not using a good amount of mobile corps just yet...so we may wait on this decision...

Ill try and get some playing time this week, other than that this was all that had occurred before the start of WW2.

Hmm no medium tanks,but lots of light tanks and motorized.
Also u have not researched any defensive land doctrines so i suppose u intend to attack the gremans rather than defend when barbarossa commences?
Also when barbarossa starts could u please load as germany and see their strength.
THnks .Informative update.Looking forward.

Hmm no medium tanks,but lots of light tanks and motorized.
Also u have not researched any defensive land doctrines so i suppose u intend to attack the gremans rather than defend when barbarossa commences?
Also when barbarossa starts could u please load as germany and see their strength.
THnks .Informative update.Looking forward.

yeah the light armor and mechanized is around 30 brigades a piece, enough to exploit gaps but not enough to use on the entire front, some of those mechanized corps are ment to be a fast reaction punch for certain areas of the front where I had planned for a strong hard shove. No armor or motorized of any type was used in the Pacific campaign as it was deemed wasteful and inefficient in stalin's eyes'.

The overall objective is to attack relentlessly and use the manpower to its maximum, as I have seen plenty of wars involving the USSR with some battles reaching over 5k lost on both sides, it will do little to me but Germany can not handle such attacks, which is why they can rely on armor more to get more encirclements while we just need to hold the line and grind them down.