• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LordLuck

Corporal
64 Badges
Feb 18, 2008
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Knights of Honor
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
Not sure if this has been raised before but I think that illegitimate children should get a different family name, eg FitzRoy, FitzWilliam etc, thoughts? Can it even be possible within the game mechanics?

Your examples are very british I'd say. In France and Germany bastards if even half way recognised were known by their father's dynasty, just usually preceded by the term bastard (though even that could be a modern practice)...

For instance, "Henry bastard of Luxembourg (name) , lord of Houffalize (title through his wife), standard bearer of Luxembourg (office)" was the son of Henry V of Luxembourg and half-brother of Henry VI of Luxembourg and Walram I of Ligny (not to mention Baldwin bastard of Luxembourg another bastard (half-)brother) (all four dead at Worringen 1288)...

William the Bastard!

Not sure if this has been raised before but I think that illegitimate children should get a different family name, eg FitzRoy, FitzWilliam etc, thoughts? Can it even be possible within the game mechanics?
Even if this is a british point of view the question that comes up in general is:
When does a dynasty "split"? It's not just bastards but other reasons why names
changed or merged with other dynasties' names.
If CK2 could model "Saxe-coburg-gotha"-like Dynasty-names it would be great :D

For the particular case of bastards:
I would let them in the dynasty name as long as they don't do anything special.
The world would remember him as bastard of [...] and not as person himself. When
he gains power, then yes, he should start a new sideline maybe with a new name.

Maybe you could have the coice of renaming any subbranches of your family (bastards or legitimate) at the time you give them a title.

I am about 200 years into a saxon dynasty at the moment and the frequency that the dynasty's surname crops up from old subbranches make it quite confusing. I had someone turn up at court recently who seemed like a close relative at first glance, but was actually the decendant of a royal bastards from 9 generation back!

There will be three choices for how to react to alleged bastards, one of which will result in a new dynasty being created.

There will be three choices for how to react to alleged bastards, one of which will result in a new dynasty being created.
Great!, Great!

Excellent news!

(i don't suppose there will also be the possibility of female bastards? iirc they weren't possible by event, only by delegitimization.)

((And on a slightly related topic: twins?))

From wiki: About January 1066, Harold married Edith (or Ealdgyth), daughter of Ælfgar, Earl of Mercia, and widow of the Welsh prince Gruffydd ap Llywelyn an enemy of the English. Edith had two sons — possibly twins — named Harold and Ulf (born c. November 1066), both of whom survived into adulthood and probably lived out their lives in exile.

Two Great News in 10 posts...this is superbly :D

Doomy said:
There will be three choices for how to react to alleged bastards
The second one will be to acknowledge him.
And the third one will be to ignore him / not acknowledge him as bastard and send to a monastery I guess.
Right?

And more important: How many choices will be in the "commet sighted" event and will they be based on real history comet sightings?
How much research did you do on that? Will we see Halley in 1301 or other famous comets?

Doomy said:
Of course there will be twins
Will we have the possibility to put an iron-mask on one of them and arrest him *evilgrin* :D

Of course there will be twins. :)

Firstborn male twins? Oh tragedy. Who will be the king??? Will it show as some kind of attribute? Twin of? Or is it something that may happen that spawns 2 children and that's it :p

As for bastards generating a new dynasty. Good job. That was the case of many dynasties that popped up. Some of them became very powerful and even reached the throne as is the case of John I of Portugal.

Old dynasty dies out and suddenly 3 contenders, descendants from several king's bastards, start fighting it out... In the meanwhile, the neighbouring country (the player) watches and starts plotting ;) :p

What I would like would be that Dynasties are splitted in 2, Dynasty and House, so you can have the Duke of Burgundy (Ho: Burgundy Dy: Capet) inheriting from King of France (Ho: France/Capet Dy: Capet) without being Game Over