• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That, having won the ACW, the Republicans quickly followed this triumph by losing all political momentum, and every election for the rest of the 19th Century to the Democratic Party...

Things I have learned from Vic2 and AHD:

* The central Sahara is the promised land.

"Ah Pierre, I am so glad we left the rain-drenched slag heaps of Liege and the grinding poverty we knew there! Here, in amongst the dunes, with literally nothing but undulating waves of sand in all directions (not even potable water, any foliage or building materials) we can make a life for our 12 children and the many sheep that we've inexplicably acquired!"

* That no matter what your origin, you can assimilate into the dominant culture of your nation provided you wear the clothes, speak the language and worship the god of that culture.

"Whew, man, I am feeling so North German right now! I could sure wash a plate of Labskaus down with a glass of cool, refreshing beer!"
"I feel you friend! I was just saying the same to my Lutheran pastor earlier when I went to that church that used to be a Buddhist temple. I didn't catch your name, friend...?"
"Oh, my name is Nguyen Tranh Ho, and yours?"
"I'm Sipho Tshabalala. Pleased to meet you!".

* Britain's wooden wall persisted at least until 1936.

"See Atkins, we're looking to reinforce the garrison in Singapore to provide a counter to Japanese aggression in the area. We'll have a couple of squadrons of Hurricanes, an armoured car brigade and a significant naval force."
"What will the naval force consist of, sir?"
"Well, a couple of battleships, a few cruisers, and several hundred sailing ships which have been on active duty since the mid to late 1700's, when they were built. We've just refitted the 'Temaraire' with the latest ASDIC anti-submarine devices and an Oerlikon AA gun. That, with her 98 gun broadside, will make her a formidable weapon of war if the wind is behind her!"
"Are we not fitting her with an engine, sir?"
"What? That would be madness!"

* Railroads provide a boost to productivity levels, so you'll want to build them everywhere.

"Finally, we have finished the rail link to the mouth of the Yenisei River! The workers in Yakutsk will be so much more productive, now that they know they can come to see the permafrost any time they like!"
"Truly, a marvel of the modern age, Sergei."
"I don't mind saying this, Ivan, but seeing this large, modern terminus building out here, surrounded by nothing but windswept grasses and arctic plants and the occasional nomadic tribe with their reindeer, makes me quite emotional... *sniff*"

I know it has been said but:

That World War 1 was really just the 15th French Acquisition of Alsace-Lorraine.

That its better to declare war against France as Spain, when rebels occupy Catalonia and Aragon.

That nobody ever thought of digging a Canal in the Suez.

Denmark is a myth.

That despite controlling every single brigade in the army, rebels are no more likely to rebel than when they control zero brigades.

That colonial populations never ever thought of rebelling even when the colonizing nation has zero presence in the colony.

- Belgium is the most stable country in the world. No-one would even DREAM of a Wallonia and Vlaandern being two different nations.
Much to the contrary!
I have learnt that in about 1870, Belgium disintegrated to no less than:
  • Presidential dictatorship Wallonie
  • Proletarian dictatorship Flanders (excluding the city of Brussels)
  • Bourgeois dictatorship city of Brussels (with by far the highest overall score of all three thanks to its industry)
And good ol' Luxembourg didn't cease to exist, either.
Although this status quo did remain unchanged until game end.

I guess that is a really kind of democratic way to resolve politics. If you want to live in a different kind of dictatorship, just move a hundred or so miles. :D

Maybe they just wanted to subsidize their map factories? Dunno.

Things I have learned from Vic2 and AHD:

* The central Sahara is the promised land.

"Ah Pierre, I am so glad we left the rain-drenched slag heaps of Liege and the grinding poverty we knew there! Here, in amongst the dunes, with literally nothing but undulating waves of sand in all directions (not even potable water, any foliage or building materials) we can make a life for our 12 children and the many sheep that we've inexplicably acquired!"

* That no matter what your origin, you can assimilate into the dominant culture of your nation provided you wear the clothes, speak the language and worship the god of that culture.

"Whew, man, I am feeling so North German right now! I could sure wash a plate of Labskaus down with a glass of cool, refreshing beer!"
"I feel you friend! I was just saying the same to my Lutheran pastor earlier when I went to that church that used to be a Buddhist temple. I didn't catch your name, friend...?"
"Oh, my name is Nguyen Tranh Ho, and yours?"
"I'm Sipho Tshabalala. Pleased to meet you!".

* Britain's wooden wall persisted at least until 1936.

"See Atkins, we're looking to reinforce the garrison in Singapore to provide a counter to Japanese aggression in the area. We'll have a couple of squadrons of Hurricanes, an armoured car brigade and a significant naval force."
"What will the naval force consist of, sir?"
"Well, a couple of battleships, a few cruisers, and several hundred sailing ships which have been on active duty since the mid to late 1700's, when they were built. We've just refitted the 'Temaraire' with the latest ASDIC anti-submarine devices and an Oerlikon AA gun. That, with her 98 gun broadside, will make her a formidable weapon of war if the wind is behind her!"
"Are we not fitting her with an engine, sir?"
"What? That would be madness!"

* Railroads provide a boost to productivity levels, so you'll want to build them everywhere.

"Finally, we have finished the rail link to the mouth of the Yenisei River! The workers in Yakutsk will be so much more productive, now that they know they can come to see the permafrost any time they like!"
"Truly, a marvel of the modern age, Sergei."
"I don't mind saying this, Ivan, but seeing this large, modern terminus building out here, surrounded by nothing but windswept grasses and arctic plants and the occasional nomadic tribe with their reindeer, makes me quite emotional... *sniff*"

If you took the time, your stories could make fine raaaage comics!

*That North Germans loved moving to Northern Mexico(modern day borders) and that the US, after acquiring that bit of land could easily recruit North Germans to the US Army!

What I learnt was that Afro American is a language

Contrary to popular belief, submarines were never used during WW1. Anyway they would have been useless since a single clipper can blockade half of the Baltic sea.

Discovering new philosophical ideas might help you to invent new industrial engine or better guns.

If your nation is too advanced, all your scientist will take a break until 1900.

*Class room in Texas

"Now Jeremy will give his oral report" Mrs.Smith an average and well to do Yankee said

"Al'righty Mam" Jeremy said with enthusiasim.

"How Dare you speak that devils tongue. You know you're not allowed to speak in it" Mrs. Smith yelled at the poor Texan boy.

"What in Tarnation?" Was all Jeremy could ask.

"Out of this class room right now. The Texan language will not be tolerated, its almost as bad as British language, I think its called English or something or other "

*In side British Parliament

"Good Sirs. I stand before you to announce the new industrial plan of the Labour Party. As of recently been voted in we are unable to give the workers any social reform, but what we can do is ensure every one is taxed at a nice and equal 35%"

"Sir" one of the younger labor members said. "isn't that raising the tax rate on the poor?"

"nonsense we're ensuring we have a proper factory system one that has factories just as dangerous as private owned ones, but these we can build ourselves. Ones that the poor approve of." Sir. Petitio Principii said to a cheering parliament

-That by banning slavery, the United States successfully avoided a Civil War. :wacko:

-That the United States never thought of attacking Mexico for Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Mexican Texas and California.

-That Texas was annexed by the United States by 1840 on their first petition and that it was a widely popular move.

-That despite popular belief, tropical diseases played no role in the construction of the Panama Canal.

-That Egypt was not an Ottoman vassal and was actually a very powerful fully autonomous rival.

-That Afghanistan was very easily conquered and subdued by the British Empire.

-That the Himalayas and Gobi Desert were very good places to lauch an invasion of China from.

-That the Ottoman grip on Eastern Europe never faltered.

-The Ottoman Empire was the most stable country in Europe.

*That during the USCW the Confederates couldn't be bothered to defend Richmond... I mean it's only their capital...