• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(127415)

Corporal
3 Badges
Nov 30, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
No matter how low I make my taxes, all three strata of my people are not getting their life needs met.

I have a pretty diverse industrial base, and generally my unemployment is pretty low.

This is causing lots of rebellions which I'm getting a bit sick of. What do I need to do? Thanks.

I would click on some individual POPs and check to see if there is some vital good that is not available on the WM.

Often, in the late game, timber runs short on the WM, and I will have hordes of POPs unable to get all their needs in the budget view. Looking at the POPs individually, I can see that they have money, but the tool tip indicates that they are missing timber, not because of money, but because it is not available.

Often, in the late game, timber runs short on the WM, and I will have hordes of POPs unable to get all their needs in the budget view. Looking at the POPs individually, I can see that they have money, but the tool tip indicates that they are missing timber, not because of money, but because it is not available.

I have had the same thing happen with fruit. For some mysterious reason, in one of my games as Japan (a nation hard-pressed to find fruit nearby), the entire fruit supply dried up, leading to a complete collapse of my society. I conquered parts of Thailand and parts of the Phillippines but it wasn't enough to satisfy my POPs insatiable desire for fruit. In the end, I just had to abandon that game.

Interesting....

You can also check the availability of goods on the world market by hovering over the good and seeing if demand outpaces supply. On that same page you can check the actual volume of your population needs and the amount available on the "common market" which IIRC is the amount available to your pops from domestic and SOI production.

If you're still having trouble you can post a savegame and we can have a look too.

IMO another reason can be if in the game there are too much goods produced which meet on a low demand on both the local and the world market. The result is overproduction that means you get no money from goods which are not sold.

So all e.g. farmers have work but they earn not enough because a) prices for produced and sold goods are too low and b) the overproduction amount is lost as you perhaps know goods not sold on the world market get depolluted.

What you can do is increase the output efficiency of your factories and RGOs, increase the demand by buying goods that are worth stockpiling and I believe try to increase prestige may help, too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. It looks like people can't afford the goods, even though they are employed and have low taxes.

Sounds like their wages are low. Factories and RGOs are just not profitable enough at the moment. There are two quick ways of dealing with this problem. (There might be others, but your specific economic situation will dictate what they are.)

#1: Improve factory and RGO efficiency through techs. Researching better railroads (and putting them in all provinces) will do this, as will certain production techs that substantially increase RGO efficiency. This should make them more profitable overall, and your POPs will get better wages (probably).

#2: Institute better minimum wages and a better pension. Better wages will force capis and aristocrats to pay their workers better wages, resulting in more earning power. Better pensions will distribute some extra money to all middle and lower class POPs, improving their earning power (the game assumes all POPs contain some old people that qualify for a pension).

Depending on your economic outlook, there may be some other options at your disposal, but without spending an hour looking at your save game, I can't tell you what they might be. If your factories are over-producing certain goods, it might benefit you to either shift production to other goods or add countries to your SOI to force them to buy your products.

I have had the same thing happen with fruit. For some mysterious reason, in one of my games as Japan (a nation hard-pressed to find fruit nearby), the entire fruit supply dried up, leading to a complete collapse of my society. I conquered parts of Thailand and parts of the Phillippines but it wasn't enough to satisfy my POPs insatiable desire for fruit. In the end, I just had to abandon that game.

Lack of fruit should not lead to the end of Western Civilization in 1.2. If POPs cannot buy a good due to unavailability, and they are still getting some luxury goods, then you still get the militancy reduction from a POP buying the goods it wants. Lack of fruit will collapse a wine industry, but you just shift to other products.

And yes, I've also had lack of fruit issues, though not as bad as timber lately (I think the UK AI favors paper mills to wineries at the moment).

Lack of fruit should not lead to the end of Western Civilization in 1.2. If POPs cannot buy a good due to unavailability, and they are still getting some luxury goods, then you still get the militancy reduction from a POP buying the goods it wants. Lack of fruit will collapse a wine industry, but you just shift to other products.

And yes, I've also had lack of fruit issues, though not as bad as timber lately (I think the UK AI favors paper mills to wineries at the moment).

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?501286-Questions-playing-as-Tibet&highlight=

I think this was do to lack fruit. It's the only possibility.

I've had this problem also. I just loaded up the UK and shut down all their canned food factories. Until their capitalists start to rebuild, you should get a good 10 or so years.

Tried it.

Didn't work.

And it won't work either, when your techs that improve farming reduce RGO capacity.

Let me preface my comments by saying that I love market scarcity, when it occurs for the right reasons. Market scarcity in Vicky2 makes it possible to have real economies where real choices about production and tax policy have a real impact.

That being said, I'm thinking about modding my game to either reduce overall population growth, reduce the population growth from national healthcare, or to eliminate the RGO capacity reductions from technologies. As the USA right now, I have every RGO completely full, including the lousy ones in low life rating provinces, even though the world is hurting for fruit, timber, cattle, and fish. And lest you think its just my immigration bonus, loading up as European monarchies shows them sitting at 80-90% of capacity in RGOs in 1910, and their POPs have been moving to the USA in droves since the mid 19th century.

Yes, once again the UK and its industrial insanity is to blame, but even taking them out of the equation does not fully help the problem. While technological improvements in agriculture should result in people moving to the cities and becoming craftsmen, the only real reason this happened was because the supply of staple food items like fruit, cattle, grain, and fish kept going up thanks to labor saving devices, making extra farm hands redundant. Right now, we are instead faced with the following oddity:

"Well, Mr. Banker, we sure would like to expand our orchards to produce more fruit, but after we invented the tractor in 1903, we shut down half the farm. So, despite the excess labor AND rising profitability in this product, I'll just keep my farm operating at its current capacity, potential profits and cheap labor be damned. Take that crazy talk about 'resuming our previous production levels' back to your fancy city!"

What's even weirder is that UK industrial insanity results in scarce RGO products like timber and fruit, but at the same time they are over producing the things that they make with timber and fruit, resulting in industries like paper, wine, and furniture becoming ridiculously unprofitable for everyone. So POPs can't buy their timber and fruit needs while the UK (and anyone else in those industries) churn out thousands of wine and paper units a day, most of which do not sell. Talk about market inefficiencies!

Fixing the UK-Assimilation-Colonial Empire Industrialization Issue will probably make this go away. Or, at least, we will have scarcity for items for reasons that actually make sense.

Another possible solution to this problem would be to uncap RGOs, but institute a linear inefficiency penalty to the output once it reaches the capacity it used to be capped at. This would enable production to continue to increase, but with a penalty that represents factors like putting less than idea land into cultivation or harvesting timber from low quality forests. So if you have 200,000 extra workers in an RGO past the cap, wages are probably going to drop a lot, unless the good is in high demand and actually selling. When wages drop past a point, the POPs promote to something else like they always do. POPs would need to be recoded so that they only "see" the standard capacity of an RGO as being a good place to migrate for work/promotion to work, unless an NF is used. This would prevent POPs from seeing "empty" farm RGOs everywhere and picking stupid work.