• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Olix

Second Lieutenant
30 Badges
May 2, 2008
  • Sengoku
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Surviving Mars
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Victoria 2
Hi,

How do I maximize the number of immigrants I receive?

Most pops have an entry in their file that looks something like this:
Code:
country_migration_target =
{
	factor = 1

modifier = {
		factor = 0
		NOT = {
			work_available = {
				worker = farmers
				worker = labourers
			}
		}
	}

modifier = {
		factor = 0.1
		unemployment = 0.1
	}
	modifier = {
		factor = 2.0
		has_pop_culture = THIS
	}
	modifier = {
		factor = 5.0
		government = democracy

}
	modifier = {
		factor = 4.0
		OR = { 
			continent = north_america
			continent = south_america
		}
	}

}

So migrants like to go places where they have work, in America, and countries that are democracies. Surely there must be more to it than this, though? Does the game consider prestige, ranking, or level of social reforms?

I enjoyed playing games as Uruguay in Vicky1 - the amount of immigrants you could get was unrealistic, but fun. Can I set up anything like that in Vicky2?

In real life immigrants were attracted to not only places where there was a need for their skill, but also to locations with a similar climate to their home country-or at the very least a mild climate. Also, being a democracy helped. The more immigrants that arrived the more they attracted.

This was how nations such as Brazil and Argentina attracted so many European immigrants; particularly from Portugal, Italy, Spain, and Germany. Same for the United States with the Irish, Germans, Scandanavians, and Italians. Uruguay did indeed attract a number of European immigrants so that was not unrealistic of Vicky1..unless you were getting some very weird numbers.

As far as I can tell, these factors for immigration are not modeled correctly if at all in Vicky 2. In real life Brazil, Argentina, and the United States all promoted the immigration of European immigrants and enticed them with the promise of jobs on farms and in factories. However the climate of those three countries is what made the decision for immigration feasible as they had similar climates to Europe-Brazil midway down anwyays. Not the more tropical North and Northeast. In fact, those areas of Brazil received little to no European immigration, proving further how much climate played a role.

It would be nice to see all this modeled accurately in Vicky 2. I may be wrong, but it seems as if immigration wasn't given much thought even though it was a HUGE factor of the 19th and early 20th Century for Europe and the 3 main American nations which received those European immigrants.

You get a great deal of immigration in vicky 2 too. I'm guessing it's because of the high population growth, but if you are a american democracy and offers jobs you can get ungodly numbers of migrants.

You get a great deal of immigration in vicky 2 too. I'm guessing it's because of the high population growth, but if you are a american democracy and offers jobs you can get ungodly numbers of migrants.

In one game as Uraguay in Victoria 1 I had around 100 million people living in my tiny country by 1900, and owned most of Africa. If you played the system right it was possible to get vast amounts of immigrants - particularly as Uraguay as all their parties have the Full Citizenship policy.

As that is a little unrealistic, I don't propose Victoria 2 be set up to make this kind of thing possible. However, I'd like to know all the factors that affect immigration. Currently I am having a game as Hawa'ii - I am a democracy, technically on the North American continent, and I have lots of jobs available for craftsmen. However, I only get around 1000 immigrants a month, and those are mostly artisans, clergy and soldiers. Under the same conditions I have had many more immigrants as argentina, and slightly less while playing as Cuba.

As canada around the latter half of the 19th century i was getting more immigrants then my natural growth not sure why though i think immigration also has to do with the conditions of the country theyre coming from as an italy game i had when my consiousness got to high and i couldnt bring it down i was losing more people to emigration then natural growth.