• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ewin Rommel

Corporal
4 Badges
Aug 9, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Hi Paradox, im loving victoria 2 and the 1.2 patch but if you are bringing out a 1.3 could you add some extra start dates (like the ones from victoria 1) so i could play as Germany or Italy straight away, instead of forming them for example or play ww1
that would be great
thanks

Extra start dates add an enormous amount of work, likely too much for a patch.

IIRC Paradox decided to only do 1836 because apparently most people only play the grand campaign in previous games. I doubt they'll add new new dates now, but we might see some mods for this in a while.

Not going to happen.

New scenarios need research and work on techs, pops, militaries, political situation etc of many many countries. Mod projects usually take a year or so until they have all this info gathered. It will probably be something we see in the expansion(s), they already mentioned that the ACW is a very tempting starting point for inclusion in an expansion.

Starting in 1861 would put you right in place to fight for Italian and German unification, too, with the historic governments and parties set in place, so it will likely give you a far closer-to-history experience.

Yes apparently 95% of V1 players only played the 36 scenario...the sheer amount of ACW AARs, threads etc etc seemed to suggest the contrary but hey, what do I know?

Im all for an 1861 scenario-should have come with V2 as standard really.

You can be fairly certain that there will not be any extra Pdox provided start dates.
At least for a patch. I think King said that a single start date is about 6 man-months worth of effort.

At least for a patch. I think King said that a single start date is about 6 man-months worth of effort.

I can imagine that for a scenario we have never seen before. But given that the research is pretty much done for 1861 from V1, I cant see it taking 6 months to create a 1861 scenario for V2. And if anything Id say 1861 is the next most popular scenario on the forum.

I can imagine that for a scenario we have never seen before. But given that the research is pretty much done for 1861 from V1, I cant see it taking 6 months to create a 1861 scenario for V2. And if anything Id say 1861 is the next most popular scenario on the forum.

From the work I've done on my own looking at the 1861 scenario, I can personally say that much of the POP data is FUBAR, and would need a complete rework to get it in proper shape just in terms of raw numbers for a large number of nations, never mind breakdowns into proper culture/religion/workforce categories. Probably something in the neighborhood of 75-100 manhours would be needed to get the POP files sorted in a proper way, never mind other areas of research that would be needed to set up the scenario and fit to changes made between V1 and V2.

And that doesn't even begin to cover beta testing for errors and balance.

King's estimation of six months work to get a scenario for V2 set up and balanced is probably optimistic, IMHO.

One thing I can say is I would like a 1914 scenario, beginning at summer and not already at war, but long wars and allies who doesn't abandon you should be possible. This is the scenarioI would like to have, but maybe also a scenario about German unification (yes, 1861 or 1870), and why not one about the communist revolution, since the game end in 1936?

One thing I can say is I would like a 1914 scenario, beginning at summer and not already at war, but long wars and allies who doesn't abandon you should be possible. This is the scenarioI would like to have, but maybe also a scenario about German unification (yes, 1861 or 1870), and why not one about the communist revolution, since the game end in 1936?

I'd rather start a few years earlier in 1910 or 1912 to bring the First and Second Balkan wars that caused a major reshuffling of power in the area.

As said, it is way too much work for a patch. What I would like to see though, is the possibility of having user-made new start dates. As of now, although we can add new start dates, AFAIK we can't have different POP setups for each start date.

As said, it is way too much work for a patch. What I would like to see though, is the possibility of having user-made new start dates. As of now, although we can add new start dates, AFAIK we can't have different POP setups for each start date.
Im no modder, but I think it is possible. It's just a hell of a lot of work.

The user mod forums would be the place to look/ask for them. :)

Im no modder, but I think it is possible. It's just a hell of a lot of work.

The user mod forums would be the place to look/ask for them. :)

So far no one there has made different pop setups for different start dates.

I believe all you would need to do is create a folder in history/pops with the start date you wish to use (the GC uses a folder called 1836.1.1, so for 1861 create a folder called 1861.1.1) then just make files for the various pops put in that folder.

That's my theory as to how it would likely work.

I believe all you would need to do is create a folder in history/pops with the start date you wish to use (the GC uses a folder called 1836.1.1, so for 1861 create a folder called 1861.1.1) then just make files for the various pops put in that folder.

That's my theory as to how it would likely work.

That's what I had thought too, but I tried it in 1.1 and it didn't work; I haven't tried yet with 1.2 though.

EDIT: Just did a test, and it seems that the game checks for the POP setup in /history/pops/ for the date that is set in the start_date in defines.lua and then applies it to all bookmarks.

Last edited:
Did some more testing... and changing the owner and controller of a province in the history file in a certain year, like this:

Code:
1556.3.1 = { owner = FRA controller = FRA } #annexation by France test

...crashes the game most times, although a few of the times it does not. It always crashes at "Loading Flags...".