• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Anarcho-Liberal

Recruit
8 Badges
Jun 29, 2007
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
With the option to release Scotland from Britain, historically this would mean the end of the United Kingdom. It would make no sense for the British to still use the British flag, part of which is composed of the Saltire. If Scotland is released then could Great Britain be renamed as 'England' and the flag changed to reflect it?

Further, why isn't Wales and the Welsh cores expressed in the game as Scottish ones are? There are a myriad of references (See A History of Wales by John Davies) to Welsh nation movements and consciousness of a Welsh identity separate to that of England throughout the 19th century and before.

Paradox are Swedish, guess they all look the same to them...

Anyway to fix the general issue of having practically zero minority revolters in Western Europe, I made a mod (in my sig) which also includes Wales. Unfortunately it's still being updated to work with 1.2.

The United Kingdom is the union between Britain and Ireland, or nowadays Northern Ireland. If Scotland was independent, then the UK would still exist.

If Ireland got independence, however, then it should become the Kingdom of Great Britain, like it was before 1800. Alternatively, if both S and I got independence, it would be the K of England, since Wales was owned by England before 1707.

Wales should be able to have independence, though.

Err, wasn't the United Kingdom created out of the personal union of England and Scotland under the Scottish King James?

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Union

The British Union was formed twice; there was the
Acts of Union 1707 when Scotland was added, forming the Kingdom of Great Britain and then
Act of Union 1800, forming the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

What it would be without Scotland but still Ireland, I have no idea; that entity did not exist historically.

As for Wales, Welsh independence, while still desired, had not existed for a long time (IE, at any point in the EU3 timeframe). The Scots had been independent relatively recently. But why not throw in cores for all the little nations, like EU3 did? I don't know, maybe it got tedious. If we're talking about Celtic groups it'd be fun to force France to release Brittany, too...

Edit: Scotland was annexed before the acts of union, and the closest equivalent for Wales is Laws in Wales Acts 1535–1542

Last edited:
Well, if you release Ireland, the Union flag still has the St Patricks cross on it, as well as the St Andrews cross when you release Scotland.
Annoying, yes... but i just ignore it.

The important thing to remember is that Great Britain is not the same thing as the United Kingdom.

If Scotland was independent but nothing else was, it would probably be the United Kingdom of England and Ireland. Or possibly the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Ireland, but doubtful due to the the lack of any Welsh autonomy until the 20th century.

Wales had become an integral part of the Kingdom of England in the 16th century IIRC.