• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(5605)

Captain
Sep 1, 2001
Visit site
In 1.2, the behavior of the AI during colonizing improved dramatically (given it actually gets to Africa now), but it still leaves much to be desired. The U.S. falls behind in the colonization of its on frontier to the UK and Russia. The reasons are fairly simple - the AI looks around for provinces with a life rating of 35 or higher, and very few besides Oregon and Washington are available at that time. Hence, the countries with the most national focus points snap them up.

And then, later in the game, there are of course the issues with overseas colonies with massive populations turning into states.

Here are a few humble solutions:

There should be essentially no requirements for colonizing empty land with a contiguous connection to your capital. At least, the life rating should not matter, and national focus points should not be taken into account. This is for two reasons. One, the land was mostly de jure (if not de facto) part of the nations in question already. If other nations colonized the interior of Canada, for example, Britain would view that as a cause for war. Secondly, to a certain extent the settlement of the unclaimed areas, particularly by the U.S. and Russia, was private individuals coming first, followed by the state. Hence it seems silly to make them go through the same game process that is undertaken to seize parts of Africa.

Now, there should be some requirements. It's fine if other countries want to vie for the land during the initial colonization process, although they should be put at some disadvantage due to being "overseas." Also, I'm fine with the secondary power requirement staying in. We don't want to have a situation where the Boer states can take over all of Africa before anyone else even gets a shot.

In terms of game effects, I would expect that the U.S. should always be able to beat out Russia, as Russia can fill in the empty bits of Siberia and central Asia from day one, and will likely focus on that. The UK will probably still grab Washington most of the time, although it may be at a slight disadvantage due to not having a land connection through its capitol. Mexico may vie for Oregon, but this isn't a huge deal, and is more plausible than Russia. If Canada and Australia are released early, both should be able to make it into the rungs of secondary powers and finish off their colonization. I have doubts New Zealand could, but Britain should usually finish colonizing the area fairly quickly due to the 30 life ratings.

Once colonized, the game should distinguish between territories and colonies. Basically, a territory is any land on your home continent. These can become states after the normal requirements are met.

A colony, in contrast, is overseas territory which can never become a state. This means no factories there, ever, no matter how many people assimilate. However, you should be allowed to build railroads there.

Although there are game-related reasons to not allow statehood to overseas colonies, I think a more persuasive reason is few similar things happened in world history during the Victorian era. The "White Dominions" of the UK, for example, were never represented in Westminster. In terms of game mechanics, they went straight from colonies to dominions. The one major exception I can think off offhand is French Algeria, which was an integral part of the French state from 1848 onward. Still, given the rights of Muslims within the region were so limited, and industry in the area was limited, I think a case could be made that colonial status is a more accurate depiction.

Also, it should be said this gives nations like the UK more reason to release dominions. Once a dominion is released, it could fairly quickly turn most or all of its territory into states, and then begin industrializing, giving your market as a great power more goods to go around.

Anyway, any thoughts?

Edit: One other minor point. There are too many states in the Pacific, and they are a bit silly, put together only to ensure that OTL's breakdown of the Pacific colonies could happen (sticking American Samoa, Wake, and Midway into Hawaii, etc). Since these were mostly colonized IRL for prestige, and won't see any industrialization in game (small population, get few immigrants), they might as well be split into one-province states.

Second edit: Rather than eliminate national focus entirely for filling in the frontier, another option is giving an additional two national focus points to any great or secondary power as long as uncolonized land borders a province with a direct land connection to your capitol. IIRC, Russia got such a bonus in EUII - or maybe EUIII, can't remember, been playing Paradox games for a decade. The only major issue I could see here is it could be exploited for gamy purposes - leave part of the outback uncolonized as Australia for a boost for example, and then use the points for other purposes.

Last edited:
I almost wonder if Oregon and Washington states are handled in a similar way as the Congo where pretty much only the UK and US are participants and there are three options: Oregon country goes all to UK (resulting in war), all to US (resulting in war), or maintenance of the 49th parallel.

It would then hand the territories over to the respective parties regardless of who colonizes them. Maybe even drop Oregon's life rating to where no can colonize it early on and have it upped to a normal level by event.

This could also be simulated in the Aroostook War where a random secondary power gets chosen to mediate the dispute, which historically Belgium did. The US rejected their recommendation which actually would have give the Americans larger portions of Quebec and Nova Scotia than we have today.