• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Okay, I'll put it differently - may be a language difficulty.

Will people who decide to run beta patches be able to get achievements, or would it be the same as running a mod? After all, the checksum is liable to be different...

I ask because of cases like EUIII 4.1b, and HOI 2.1c. Off the top of my head I can't recall whether Rome is currently at beta. VickyII I've not yet bought (but intend to) so i can't say about that.

Steve.

Understood.

Without checking with the devs I can almost say a definite no. Beta implies just that, not a final product.

/s

It would be cool if you could check your achievement against other players in-game. So many of the forumites 'know' eachother, so it'd be nice to be able to say "hey, I'm only 200 points away from catching up with Shams/nearly level with RELee/a trillion points ahead of RRW"... little on-forum friendly rivalry. And maybe PI staff's scores could be constantly available, with a league table so we could see which dev is truly the best player

I believe that falls under the "DO NOT" part of the achievement guide-lines because it is a "non-achievement". If you stay L-F the entire game, you aren't the one who got your industry score that high.

Right?

Not true. To get your industry score that high with L-F, you need to manage everything else well. There are plenty of ways to fail with L-F.

Maybe I should amend: get to x industry score from 0 with L-F.

Last edited:
It would be cool if you could check your achievement against other players in-game. So many of the forumites 'know' eachother, so it'd be nice to be able to say "hey, I'm only 200 points away from catching up with Shams/nearly level with RELee/a trillion points ahead of RRW"... little on-forum friendly rivalry. And maybe PI staff's scores could be constantly available, with a league table so we could see which dev is truly the best player

Yes, this is exactly the kind of stuff we'd like to implement down the line. Since the games are tracking metrics anyway we can do additional fun stuff

If you are friends with Orange Yoshi and win a battle the system tells you "Battles won #362, OrangeYoshi record is #365". You'll probably want to win a couple more and rub his nose in it right?

About the Vicky2 achievement. I know way too little V2 to be able to answer that properly.

/s

Not true. To get your industry score that high with L-F, you need to manage everything else well. There are plenty of ways to fail with L-F.

Maybe I should amend: get to x industry score from 0 with L-F.

Ah well. Vicky isn't exactly my game.

Yes, this is exactly the kind of stuff we'd like to implement down the line. Since the games are tracking metrics anyway we can do additional fun stuff

If you are friends with Orange Yoshi and win a battle the system tells you "Battles won #362, OrangeYoshi record is #365". You'll probably want to win a couple more and rub his nose in it right?

About the Vicky2 achievement. I know way too little V2 to be able to answer that properly.

/s

:rofl:

That's a pretty awesome idea, though.

Exactly. Though from what I hear Peter Ebbessen should be excluded for fairness reasons... the devs scores should be available for everyone though. Nice new dimension.

This is a good point, and offers an excellent reason why achievements could be a valuable addition to Paradox's grand strategy games. Despite what the nay-sayers claim. :p Sure, there are lots of ways to complete these games... but I get the impression a lot of people only ever stick to one, which means they miss out on a lot of the gameplay experience.

For example, I think a lot of people start an EUIII grand campaign in 1399, play for 100-150 years or so, then get bored and re-start the game... so they never get to see the late-game National Ideas or troop types or governments. Offering an achievement relating to them might encourage players to try out that aspect of the game instead. ("We the People" - change your government type to Constitutional Republic, for example).

Or since a lot of players seem to approach EUIII as a conquest game, then offer achievements for peaceful successes, such as having an income twice as high as the next-richest nation, or being at least 2 levels ahead in every tech category. (Though of course you should have conquest-related achievements as well, to balance it.)

In short, reward playing the games in different ways, rather than falling into the same old rut every time. Open-ended sandbox games are actually better for this style of achievement, not worse.

What you described is what I normally do. Never played a game past 1680'd. So maybe achievements will help.

However, I think conquest is the only real way you gain income, isn't it? Trading is decent, but conquer a country and your income fattens greatly, eventually to the point where you have few worries.

Understood.

Without checking with the devs I can almost say a definite no. Beta implies just that, not a final product.

/s
You realise your company uses Beta patches as a means of controlling digital rights? Beta is always there until the next expansion comes out. I'd suggest they either let achievements be obtained in beta, or shift their design out of permanent beta mode.

Seriously, check the difference between the current beta for HttT and the vanilla version. Its like the difference between two mods; very different sub-games.

Understood.

/s
You realise your company uses Beta patches as a means of controlling digital rights? Beta is always there until the next expansion comes out. I'd suggest they either let achievements be obtained in beta, or shift their design out of permanent beta mode.

Seriously, check the difference between the current beta for HttT and the vanilla version. Its like the difference between two mods; very different sub-games.
I don't know that I'd go so far as saying that Paradox "uses Beta patches as a means of controlling digital rights", but it's certainly true that HttT and the current beta for Semper Fi are very different - and much, much better :) - than the 'official' release versions.

That's fine, I just wanted clarification. Oh, and while I'm at it, thank you, Shams, for confirming that there would be no additional delay to patches as a result.

Steve.

However, I think conquest is the only real way you gain income, isn't it? Trading is decent, but conquer a country and your income fattens greatly, eventually to the point where you have few worries.

Nope, trade is where the big money's at. Especially combined with colonization (though not a must).

I hope that the achievements won't change the atmosphere in the games. From what I've seen they don't look like a gamebreaker and if they can give us new ideas about how to play then that's fine. I usually run out of ideas for a couple of years after I've completed my goals in a newly started campaign. Maybe the achievments can be of help there.

Nope, trade is where the big money's at. Especially combined with colonization (though not a must).

Trade is were the big money's at...after you've conquered. ;)