Closed Thread
Page 200 of 254 FirstFirst ... 100 125 150 175 190 198 199 200 201 202 210 225 250 ... LastLast
Results 3,981 to 4,000 of 5066

Thread: Let the ruling classes tremble – an Interactive Revolutionary AAR

  1. #3981
    Field Marshal Raph's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    V2 AHD BetaHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Broad Meadow
    Posts
    4,556
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBob View Post
    Please Please Please Lose! I'll lose all faith in this AAR if the VSVR can win a war which it should lose spectacularly. So spectacularly in fact, that the "Imperialist Powers" will allow it to exist in more or less its current form, and demand only a buttload of elections, the freedom of which will be monitored by the League of Nations.
    Well, I guess you're not all that good a V2 player if you don't believe a war like this can be won. I've defeated the British army in India as Panjab, a nation that starts the game uncivilized without the safety of oceans between myself and the huge army of British India. To defeat Russia, Austria or France as a greater Germany should definately be possible...
    Raph: 1 Beuraucrat
    Nationality: Swedish
    Religion: N/A
    Ideology: Communist - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Are you a leftist too? Join the Red Paradoxians!
    Issues: Planned Economy/Full Citizenship
    Current Work: Student
    Cash Reserves: 0£
    Revoltrisk: 50%
    Militancy: 5 (+0.15)
    Counsciousness: 10 (+1.00)

  2. #3982
    Quote Originally Posted by KomodoWaran View Post
    If we are talking about realism: It also not realistic for the BE to be able to raise a 6 million strong army in India.

    I wish Paradox would find some kind of fix for that in next update.
    There is a good mod called "Colonial Development" which largely fixes it. I have even seen AI Russia overtake AI UK for first place! The only unfortunate effect is that you get several events per colonial province at game start, so if you load up the game as the UK you will be bombarded with like 50 events.
    "In the factories and mills, in the shipyards and mines
    We've often been told to keep up with the times
    For our skills are not needed, they've streamlined the job
    And with sliderule and stopwatch our pride they have robbed"

  3. #3983
    The One and Only BBB BigBadBob's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Location, location, location...
    Posts
    1,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Communard View Post
    Your faith in the will of a coalition which includes a Tsarist authoritarian state, a constitutional monarchy which places wealth restrictions on the vote, a feudal authoritarian state and only one of the bourgeois "democracies" you seem to support to establish a "democracy" in the VSVR is pretty interesting, Comrade Bob. The absurdity of Tsarist Russia and the Empire of Austria-Hungary sending election observers when they have no elections of their own boggles the mind.

    Tommy, stop teasing us! I want to know how we did...
    I'm trusting that the severely weakened Russia and Austria-Hungary will suffer the same fate as France did after WWII. Merely given trinket victory marks.
    Sir Robert, OLIR, Sovereign of the Order of the Large and Intimidating Robert
    Knights of the Order: TemplarComander, loki100, Enewald, Chris Taylor, Nathan Madien, Svip, Slan, (Mr.) Capiatlist, LeCare, Redandwhite, ThunderHawk3
    Ever wanted to become President? Now you have the chance in The Presidents: 1836 - 1936 - An Interactive US AAR!
    Current President: Richard A. Jarvis (R)
    Current V-President: William Gallatin (R)

    Joseph Henry Harrison (1903 - 19??), General, US Army, ret.
    My Inkwell

  4. #3984
    The One and Only BBB BigBadBob's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Location, location, location...
    Posts
    1,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Raph View Post
    Well, I guess you're not all that good a V2 player if you don't believe a war like this can be won. I've defeated the British army in India as Panjab, a nation that starts the game uncivilized without the safety of oceans between myself and the huge army of British India. To defeat Russia, Austria or France as a greater Germany should definately be possible...
    I am fully aware of the AI's idiocy, and for that reason find my hope near pointless. Against the AI, there can be no defeat.
    Sir Robert, OLIR, Sovereign of the Order of the Large and Intimidating Robert
    Knights of the Order: TemplarComander, loki100, Enewald, Chris Taylor, Nathan Madien, Svip, Slan, (Mr.) Capiatlist, LeCare, Redandwhite, ThunderHawk3
    Ever wanted to become President? Now you have the chance in The Presidents: 1836 - 1936 - An Interactive US AAR!
    Current President: Richard A. Jarvis (R)
    Current V-President: William Gallatin (R)

    Joseph Henry Harrison (1903 - 19??), General, US Army, ret.
    My Inkwell

  5. #3985
    Share Our Wealth! Seek75's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Netherland, Americalanavanyia
    Posts
    2,799
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBob View Post
    I am fully aware of the AI's idiocy, and for that reason find my hope near pointless. Against the AI, there can be no defeat.
    Ya. I'd personally like the war to fail, but we all know that with the V2 AI, it's impossible to lose.
    A rebel without a cause.

  6. #3986
    Thoroughly Useless Konnigratz's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBob View Post
    Please Please Please Lose! I'll lose all faith in this AAR if the VSVR can win a war which it should lose spectacularly. So spectacularly in fact, that the "Imperialist Powers" will allow it to exist in more or less its current form, and demand only a buttload of elections, the freedom of which will be monitored by the League of Nations.
    I'm still at a loss as to why you think the VSVR should lose spectacularly. In WW1, the Central Powers were outnumbered 2-1. Not as bad as in this, but the Central Powers included the "Sick Man of Europe", and Austria-Hungary, who weren't held in high regard as a fighting force at all (German saw their alliance with them like they were "shackled to a corpse"). France also had a coherent frontline to focus all their troops, whereas here we have a giant Communist insurrection. Russia has also been steamrolled before by the VSVR, and isn't anywhere near as powerful as it was in reality.

  7. #3987
    Quote Originally Posted by Konnigratz View Post
    I'm still at a loss as to why you think the VSVR should lose spectacularly. In WW1, the Central Powers were outnumbered 2-1. Not as bad as in this, but the Central Powers included the "Sick Man of Europe", and Austria-Hungary, who weren't held in high regard as a fighting force at all (German saw their alliance with them like they were "shackled to a corpse"). France also had a coherent frontline to focus all their troops, whereas here we have a giant Communist insurrection. Russia has also been steamrolled before by the VSVR, and isn't anywhere near as powerful as it was in reality.
    With all due respect, no pseudo-history please.
    If you really think that Germany lost WWI because it was "burdened" by the OE and Austria you didn't understand very much. It may be your opinion but dont present it as fact. And russia was steamrolled in RL by Japan
    God will know his angels by the Tone of their voices and the sadness hidden in their hearts
    - Honore de Balzac


    Visit my Guns of January Brazil Multiplayer AAR

  8. #3988
    Share Our Wealth! Seek75's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Netherland, Americalanavanyia
    Posts
    2,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Konnigratz View Post
    I'm still at a loss as to why you think the VSVR should lose spectacularly. In WW1, the Central Powers were outnumbered 2-1. Not as bad as in this, but the Central Powers included the "Sick Man of Europe", and Austria-Hungary, who weren't held in high regard as a fighting force at all (German saw their alliance with them like they were "shackled to a corpse"). France also had a coherent frontline to focus all their troops, whereas here we have a giant Communist insurrection. Russia has also been steamrolled before by the VSVR, and isn't anywhere near as powerful as it was in reality.
    Well, realistically, I honestly doubt the VSVR would've ever grown to be as large as it is now in the first place, had it not been for the fact that this is, after all, a V2 gameplay AAR, thus allowing realistic restraints to be completely bypassed.
    A rebel without a cause.

  9. #3989
    Thoroughly Useless Konnigratz's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by LeCare View Post
    With all due respect, no pseudo-history please.
    If you really think that Germany lost WWI because it was "burdened" by the OE and Austria you didn't understand very much. It may be your opinion but dont present it as fact. And russia was steamrolled in RL by Japan
    I'm well aware of the myriad of factors that led to defeat in WW1. Germany's allies were part of that. I could go into a massive spiel about the others, but that would completely derail the topic. The point of the matter is that the cries of "the VSVR should lose this war for sure!" just seem foolish, because outside of numbers the VSVR has every advantage.
    Also, Russia wasn't steamrolled by Japan. Japan lost more men than Russia did.

  10. #3990
    Quote Originally Posted by Konnigratz View Post
    I'm well aware of the myriad of factors that led to defeat in WW1. Germany's allies were part of that. I could go into a massive spiel about the others, but that would completely derail the topic. The point of the matter is that the cries of "the VSVR should lose this war for sure!" just seem foolish, because outside of numbers the VSVR has every advantage.
    Also, Russia wasn't steamrolled by Japan. Japan lost more men than Russia did.
    I agree that its foolish to think that the VSVR would have lost. But that is simply because VSVR is a game nation and in the game you dont rly lose big unless yure sokoto fighting all great powers at once due to the great AI. Comparing it to real life is absolutely ridicolous in every way because the sole existence of the VSVR in history is practically an impossibility. I just hate when history gets abused with every one presenting some theory as the ultimate ueber fact (its even worse in economics). I do see your point thoughand I agree, in a world where socialism actually produced something better that Josef and the gang, the VSVR does have some odds on its side.
    And Russia was pretty much smashed and their army never quite regained anything comparable to an efficient fighting force for quite some time
    God will know his angels by the Tone of their voices and the sadness hidden in their hearts
    - Honore de Balzac


    Visit my Guns of January Brazil Multiplayer AAR

  11. #3991
    The 45 Tommy4ever's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Free City of Dundee
    Posts
    4,366
    The VSVR 1900-1905 (Part 1) – The Great War



    In January 1900 the new century was ushered in by the deafening sound of over 3,000,000 men and women flying the banner of the revolution striking forth from the VSVR against the Habsburg, Romanov and French Empires. Intoxicated by promises of eternal safety, of an end to war and of an international socialist state the people of the VSVR were caught up in a frenzy. In the People’s Party, whilst the voices of the Old Right warned of untold suffering and Trotsky’s personal ambition, even Sorel, traditionally no friend of the Marxists put the support of the Revolutionary faction behind the war. In the public workers offered to do double shifts to make up for the loss of output caused by millions leaving the factories for France, Russia and Austria whilst the peasantry united behind the conflict – ending a decade of large scale discontent.



    The first two months of the war were coloured by unstoppable Red Army advances into Austria-Hungary and Northern France and defeats of the armies of those nations. In the Habsburg Empire the early victories of the Red Army. It seemed that Trotsky’s promise of the swift annihilation of these two powers could be fulfilled. Even in Africa, despite having the odds stacked firmly against them, the Red Army defeated several attempts by the British to break out of Guinea and into the heartland of Socialist Africa.

    On the Eastern Front everything had gone according to plan for the Red Army. Indeed the Russian Imperial Army was barely able to engage due to internal pressures. For the Tsarist state could barely hold itself together.



    After Russia’s defeat in the recent Finnish War civil war had seemed almost certain. A General Strike that lasted for two months was followed by threats from the Tsar to use the army to end the strike. In the end his Ministers convinced him to try to deal with the protesters and the Soviets (councils of workers and peasants) were legalised. Soon the Soviets, inspired and influenced by the VSVR, united together to form the Grand Council of Soviets in 1899 – more commonly known as the Petrograd Soviet. The Petrograd Soviet was essentially a Parliament of representatives from the urban industrial sprawls and from the peasantry, that said the workers were clearly over represented as they made up around 40% of the Soviet and only 15% of the population. When war broke out in 1900 the Petrograd Soviet demanded that peace be made immediately. Not only did this move anger the Tsarists it was completely fantastical – Trotsky had made it clear that the only way he would make peace with Russia would be if the Tsar’s head was presented to him. Whilst the Petrograd Soviet could not force the Tsar to make peace it could cripple his attempts to make war. Using their contacts in the Russian Army the Soviet had managed to convince large sections of the army to strike.



    On February 29th the cream of the Russian Imperial Army was defeating by a group of Red Army reservists at Pinsk. Although the defeat was hardly catastrophic and was indeed much more credible than Russia’s showings in its previous wars with the Republic it was enough excuse for the Petrograd Soviet to launch a political assault against the Tsar. The Soviet pronounced the battle to be the final chance Tsarism had of redeeming itself and by extension the final failure. They called for the Tsar’s immediate abdication and for all power to be transferred to the Soviet so that peace could be made and solidarity declared with the working class of the First International. On March 4th the Central Committee of the VSVR voted unanimously to recognise the Petrograd Soviet as the true government of Russia. For the Tsarists the Soviet had now gone one step too far. On March 6th troops entered the Soviet whilst it was in session, shut it down and proceeded to arrest many of its members – they hoped that if the leadership of the Soviet could be captured then its supporters would be unable to mount a serious opposition. However the Tsarists were not able to arrest all the Soviet’s members and most escaped from Petrograd. On March 10th a small collection of former Soviet members officially declared that the Tsar had declared war upon the Soviet and called upon every worker and peasant in the Russian Empire to rise up and assist the Red Army in toppling the Tsar. The call for revolution spread remarkably fast and by the end of March somewhere between 500,000 and 1,500,000 men had risen up across the Empire. Surprisingly the ‘industrial crescent’ (one of the most industrialised areas on earth which stretched from Petrograd to Kiev via Moscow) was not the heart of the revolution but instead it was the Ural Mountains. From the city of Ufa just to the East of the mountains the Soviet would base itself as it waged its war against the Tsar.

    The poultry forces of the Russian state were now trapped between 3 armies. From the East the mainstay of the Soviet’s armies (whilst there were rebellions across the country only in the East did they properly organise), from the North the Swedish army and 30,000 Red Army soldiers and from the West the main body of the Red Army. Faced with such a situation Tsar Nicholas II and his government fled to Moscow whilst issuing a call to arms against the communist threat.

    Whilst the month of March changed everything in the East so too did it in the West. Between February 25th and March 4th Northern France was afflicted by a great wave of torrential rainstorms. The advance of the Red Army had to be halted for two precious weeks and during that time the French were able to prepare themselves. Notably the Union Sacree was declared. Essentially the French Left (with the exception of the FWL) agreed to join forces with the government in a patriotic war against the German invaders. Secondly several hundred thousand conscripts were prepared for battle and thirdly national morale was bolstered after the Red Navy suffered a mauling in the Helgoland Bight, not to the Royal navy but to the French Fleet – this restored confidence in France’s ability to survive.



    The end result of this was that Trotsky’s dream of knocking the French out of the war early on was over whilst trench warfare arrived in earnest to Europe. This new system of combat massively favoured the defender as fortified positions defended by machine guns proved extremely difficult for attackers to overcome. The Red Army was the first to really benefit from this as they destroyed a Swiss attempt to recapture Basel (the city had been abandoned whilst the Swiss organised their troops for battle). However at Rouen on the Channel Coast a massively outnumbered French Army – these were troops retreating from defeats in Flanders early in the war – inflicted 5 times as many casualties as it received. Sure the battle was a victory but it symbolised the fact that Red Army was already losing steam and the French, under more promising conditions, could secure victory.



    That opportunity came at Chartes at the start of April. The French Army at Chartes was not a force of professional soldiers but was a collection of farmers and workers from Southern France mobilised just a few months before and with very few men who had ever experienced combat. The Red Army was made up of tiring but veteran professional bolstered by conscripts from Wallonia and Flanders who had already experienced heavy combat since January. 1/3 of the Red Army soldiers who attacked the French lines at Chartes died. It was the single most humiliating defeat the Red Army had experienced in 50 years of existence. The battle changed everything for the French as a sudden will to win swept the nation, more importantly the Red Army was forced to abandon its hopes of capturing Paris in the immediate future as its attempt to surround the city failed.



    After Chartes the two armies around Paris settled down to pound each other into the ground with artillery. However at the same time the Red Army was able to burst into the Rhone Valley as the French struggled to contain them.



    Whilst on the Southern Front (the front with the Habsburg Empire) the slaughter was not as terrible as in France the death toll was still horrendous. Between the outbreak of war in January and the end of May 350,000 Red Army soldiers perished whilst the Habsburgs lost 250,000. The constant assault of the Red Army had forced the Habsburgs to withdraw from Austria, Moravia, the Veneto and Western Galicia although Vienna held on under siege. Now the Austro-Hungarian Empire was relying upon its Hungarian half to fight off the invaders. The fact that the Habsburg Army had inflicted so many more casualties than it had received might insinuate that it was doing rather well. The simple fact was that whilst the Red Army could, to an extent, absorb such casualties the Habsburg Army could not. In Austria the Red Army had lost just over 10% of its strength whilst the Habsburgs had lost over half of their men and almost all of their standing army. Realistically Austria-Hungary was beaten by the onset of Summer, although they would fight on for months to come retreating ever further towards the Carpathian mountains. From August troops would start to leave this front for France.



    In July one of those odd peculiarities in history occurred. At the end of January a group of German, Flemish, Norwegian and Argentine explorers had set off from the Swedish island of Svalbard in hopes of reaching the North Pole. At the time the War had only just broken out and most believed that it would be over by the onset of Spring. The explorers returned to Svalbard triumphant in July and the first thing the Captain did was ask if the Red Flag now flew over Paris, Vienna and Petrograd. Little did he know of the slaughter that had now emerged in the trenches of Northern France.

    As troops began to trickle in from Austria in August the VSVR’s Generals resolved to make an attempt to push on Paris – these new troops would allow them to keep up the momentum and break the French lines. In late July Lyon had fallen to the East as the French attempts to hold back the Red Army advance in Eastern France continued to fail miserably, indeed by the start of August there were Red Army units within sight of Marseilles. All this made the Generals confident that an almighty summer offensive would break the Second Republic once and for all.



    The Summer Offensive proved to be a horrific disaster. Crushed at Blois and Chartes whilst winning only minor victories elsewhere the Red Army lost over ¼ of a million men over the course of some 3 weeks. Paris would remain in French hands.

    In October a British warship operating out of the Falklands sank an Argentine vessel. Argentina was officially neutral at this point and quickly decided to ignore VSVR calls for moderation and declared war. Fearing the Argentine fleet the isolated British warship docked in neutral Uruguay’s capital, Montevideo. The Argentines demanded that the British ship be forced out of the harbour but Uruguay refused to comply. So on October 21st a mixture of Argentine and Red Army divisions crossed the River Uruguay to invade the country of the same name whilst the Argentine fleet bombarded Montevideo harbour.



    Whilst the French Republic was keeping the Red Army at arm’s length the Austro-Hungarian Empire had collapsed. Through the summer and autumn the Habsburg Army had been utterly obliterated as most of the Empire was occupied. Still around 100,000 loyal troops still fought on from Transylvania and East Galicia – it would take a huge effort and many thousands of lives to finally defeat them. However the ancient Emperor Franz Josef offered the Republic a chance to end the conflict. The Kaiser was 70 years old; he had ruled the Habsburg Empire since 1848 – witnessing the entire history of the VSVR. He was a wise and respected figure – respected even by the VSVR’s socialist government. After seeing over a million people die (including civilians) in barely a year of warfare on the soil of his Empire he had decided that continuing to fight on was no longer in the interest of his people. On October 28th he offered to abdicate all his thrones and renounce both his, his heirs and the claims of the Austro-Hungarian nobility to titles and properties within his former Empire. On top of this he unilaterally surrendered to the VSVR on the condition that both he and anyone else who wished to leave be granted safe passage to Britain. With that seven centuries of Habsburg rule in Austria was at an end, Europe’s oldest Empire was no more.



    Austria-Hungary’s former colonial Empire was divided. The Western portion, originally conquered by Kalat from the young Persian People’s Republic, was returned to its former owners whilst the Western portion became the Indian Socialist People’s Republic .

    Following peace with Austria-Hungary hundreds of thousands of Red Army soldiers were freed up to march Westward for France. Therefore in November, under pressure from Trotsky who feared that the protracted and bloody conflict in France was starting to cause a collapse in support for the war, the Red Army prepared to launch an almighty assault on Paris.



    The so called Trotsky-Offensive (due to both the Chairman’s constant pushing for it and his input) began in mid-November. The Red Army employed several new weapons and tactics – most notably poisonous gas and infiltration tactics. The offensive was a great success. Bolstered by troops from the Southern Front the Red Army swept the French from Northern France, defeating them in several engagements – most notably the Battle of Orleans. Paris fell on December 21st and shortly later the FWL engineered another uprising – focussed in Brittany. The French seemed to be collapsing.

    Elsewhere the Red Army invaded Bosnia in December and on January 17th Serbia unconditionally surrendered. Through January 1901, February and March the French Army was pursued deep into Southern France and on March 31st Spain declared war – sending troops into France and attacking Gibraltar.



    With their armies beaten and most of continental France under occupation France officially surrendered on April 28th 1901. Whilst the FWL in coalition with several smaller leftwing groups took charge of the country the French port of Pondicherry in India was ceded to the recently independent state (a neutral in the war with Britain). On May 9th Uruguay joined them and on May 23rd Paraguay was invaded.

    In the East the war never truly seemed to hit the Red Army. Faced with an offensive from the Soviet’s armies on Moscow most of the Tsarist Army marched East to face this threat whilst what little stayed in the West to keep the Red Army in check was easily swept aside. In May Petrograd fell without a fight and by the end of that month Minsk and Kiev too had fallen. Whilst the Tsarists did win a hard fought triumph over the Soviet’s armies around Moscow they were so badly beaten that they could offer no real resistance to the advancing Red Army.



    On May 12th 1901 Moscow fell to the Red Army. The Tsar attempted to flee, but where was he to go? To the East the Soviet ruled and to the West the Red Army and their Swedish allies blocked any path to freedom. On May 23rd he was captured by VSVR forces attempting to pass through occupied territory on his way to the Black Sea. On June 1st he officially surrendered on behalf of all Tsarist forces. On June 3rd the Red Army turned over all authority in the former Russian Empire to the Soviet which was returned to Petrograd. On June 5th Tsar Nicholas II was turned over to the Soviet. 3 days later he was executed for crimes against humanity and on June 24th the Soviet Union was proclaimed. Russia was Red.

    With that the war was essentially over in Europe. In August Bosnia finally surrendered and on September 10th – faced with war weariness and economic pressures at home Trotsky demobilised the reserves although several 100,000 soldiers were left on the field. With the war in Europe over it was now time to look at other fronts.

    However things were clearly very grim South of the Mediterranean. Up until the end of 1900 the vastly outnumbered Red Army had managed to largely contain the British. However after several heavy losses and the beginning of an unstoppable stream of British reinforcements from India Africa was essentially lost. Estimates put British strength on the continent at 3,000,000, approximately the same size as the entire Red Army at full mobilisation. There was no way that the VSVR could save Africa. Yet at the same time the British refused to send any meaningful force to Europe. Indeed Britain’s only attempt to attack Europe came in the form of 6,000 Royal Marines landed near Oslo which were promptly captured within two weeks of landing.

    However the war was still active in South America.

    The Brazilian Empire was South America’s undisputed hegemon. It could field a standing army around the same size as that fielded by the Austro-Hungarian Army at the start of the Great War and the Emperor oversaw a regime as, if not more, oppressive as the Tsar’s in Russia. However the economic backing of France had always kept the people relatively satiated whilst the army made sure no one had any ideas of revolution. However as French influence faded away due to the Great War in 1900 Brazil’s economy entered a deep recession. At the same time the revolutionary fervour that was sweeping the world at the time started to encroach upon the Empire. In late 1900 the Emperor was forced to flee Rio due to a large socialist rebellion by the city’s workers whilst across the country peasants and slaves started to rise up against the Emperor. Even the army experienced mutinies. By the beginning of 1901 it seemed as if the Empire would fall. However thanks to superior generalship and a lack of cohesion amongst the revolutionaries the Emperor had restored a significant degree of order by the summer of 1901. However the country was still fiercely divided and the Emperor decided to hold elections for a state Parliament as a means of calming tensions. In September elections were held and a coalition of socialist groups won over 60% of seats. Days later the Parliament was closed and another election called – this time with the votes of the wealthy heavily weighted. In January 1902 the second Parliament was formed, however the pro-Imperial parties remained in a definite minority. The alliance of liberals and socialists who formed the majority called upon the Emperor to give up his powers and resort to a Constitutional Monarchy. The Emperor tried to close the Parliament a second time but in doing so sparked another widespread revolt. This time the Generals were not willing to save the Emperor and he was drowned after the ship he was trying to escape upon was hit by an artillery shell (in Rio the revolutionaries were joined by the military garrison). Anti-communists fought a second civil war against the socialists, this assisted the more radical groups in seizing control of the revolution and on April 12th the war ended, Brazil was now ruled by a socialist regime.

    Elsewhere in South America Paraguay fell in November 1901 and in July 1902 the communists secured an electoral victory in Ecuador.

    After an extended period of relative inactivity elsewhere around the world Trotsky was forced to admit that he could not secure a worldwide revolution. On August 30th 1902, after 2 and a half years of total warfare, Great Britain and the VSVR signed the Treaty of Amsterdam which declared a ceasefire (although crucially they did not agree to a peace treaty as Britain refused to recognise the new government who now ruled across Europe and South America).

    Whilst estimates of casualties are hard to calculate most put the total military dead at roughly 5,000,000 on all fronts. Civilian casualties are believed to be at least three times that with starvation being a major problem in the Sahel region of Africa. These figures would make the Great War the bloodiest war for a thousand years and the bloodiest ever to occur outside of China.



    The VSVR was now undisputedly the most powerful state on earth whilst the Soviet Union and France were third and fifth most powerful nations in the world.



    More than half the world was now Red. All of mainland Europe aside from Portugal and Gibraltar, half of Asia, half of Africa, the East Indies much of the Caribbean and all of South America aside from Colombia, Venezuela and British Guyana. However standing between the Revolution and Asia was 6,000,000 soldiers in India and 10,000,000 in China. Standing between it and North America was around 4,000,000 men in the remaining capitalist states (including British troops in India).

    Trotsky had succeeded in spreading the revolution to hundreds of millions of people. In Russia the people accepted it willingly, in France they accepted it grudgingly whilst across Latin America the revolutionary armies were largely Latin Americans themselves making the war much more one of liberation. In the Balkans the land was divided. Serbia and Bosnia were restored but their governments were heavily linked to Cologne. In East Galicia the Republic of Ruthenia was created whilst in the Eastern half of the former Habsburg Empire the Republic of Hungary was born. Istria, Dalmatia and the Veneto were all taken over by Italy whilst the remaining lands were placed under the ‘Provisional Government of Austria’. Essentially there were plans for these lands to be absorbed into the VSVR however it was decided that due to the size of the area the region should be placed under the control of a transitional government for the time being.

    Trotsky’s dream of a great revolutionary war to liberate the entire world was regarded as a disaster by some and an unmitigated triumph by others. On one hand it had degenerated into a slaughter and two million Red Army soldiers were now dead whilst the aim of freeing the entire world had failed. However Trotsky’s war had liberated virtually all of Europe, parts of Asia and a large part of South America. Now the newly expanded Comintern was existed in a divided world. Any realistic hope of continued relations with Britain, China and the USA were over. If they were not at war they were completely and utterly opposed. On top of this these enemies could muster many millions of men in areas that could only be reached by sea – and the VSVR lacked a navy strong enough to compete.

    The shape of the Comintern was now very different to how it had been two and a half years before. Then Cologne was the sole power of any note and dominated affairs. Now, although still by far the strongest military and economic force, there were two new poles. Both Paris and Petrograd could realistically muster support around themselves to at least challenge VSVR dominance.

    The Great War was over, now it was time for the peace.

  12. #3992
    The 45 Tommy4ever's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Free City of Dundee
    Posts
    4,366
    Well I'm done.

    My lack of ability as a player made up for some of the AI deficiencies in France. The war didn't go exactly as I described but I'm not sure if you would have liked to here how one stack chased another stack from A-B for months on end.

  13. #3993
    The One and Only BBB BigBadBob's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Location, location, location...
    Posts
    1,882
    I am ashamed of the VSVR. We have turned war into a national sport, a massive colosseum, where the Red Army fights for the sport of the warmongers. - Comrade Bob

    Anyway, I shoulda seen this outcome from a mile away.
    Sir Robert, OLIR, Sovereign of the Order of the Large and Intimidating Robert
    Knights of the Order: TemplarComander, loki100, Enewald, Chris Taylor, Nathan Madien, Svip, Slan, (Mr.) Capiatlist, LeCare, Redandwhite, ThunderHawk3
    Ever wanted to become President? Now you have the chance in The Presidents: 1836 - 1936 - An Interactive US AAR!
    Current President: Richard A. Jarvis (R)
    Current V-President: William Gallatin (R)

    Joseph Henry Harrison (1903 - 19??), General, US Army, ret.
    My Inkwell

  14. #3994
    Human Enewald's Avatar
    52 games registered

    52

    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    War of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hellsinki,Finland
    Posts
    22,855
    Austria the oldest European empire?

    Trotsky must be stopped from starting another world-war!

  15. #3995
    The 45 Tommy4ever's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Free City of Dundee
    Posts
    4,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Enewald View Post
    Austria the oldest European empire?

    Trotsky must be stopped from starting another world-war!
    By 1900. Yes. As an extension of the HRE it is a lot older than Russia.

  16. #3996
    Thoroughly Useless Konnigratz's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    355
    The ultimate triumph of Communism is evident. All the naysayers who doubted Trotsky should be silenced. Two of the most oppressive, degrading regimes on the face of the earth have fallen, while the bourgeois republic in France is gone. Now it is only a matter of time until the people of the capitalist world overthrow their oppressive masters.

    A second world war is imminent, however. Britain, the US, Mexico, China, and the UPCA shall undoubtedly form a coalition to oppose the Comintern. It is a time for peace, but not a time for pacifism.

  17. #3997
    Captain Necazian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIILeviathan: WarshipsMagickaSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy4ever View Post
    The shape of the Comintern was now very different to how it had been two and a half years before. Then Cologne was the sole power of any note and dominated affairs. Now, although still by far the strongest military and economic force, there were two new poles. Both Paris and Petrograd could realistically muster support around themselves to at least challenge VSVR dominance.
    Foreshadowing for something akin to a Sino-Soviet split?

    EDIT: Great update, by the way.

  18. #3998
    Now, with most of the Comintern having sacrificed their armies, the entire civilized world is wide open to an attack of 10 million strong. Also, Russia can not be relied upon as an ally. Its now a situation where we have open boards to massive, brooding state that will only grow exceptionally powerful with its new socialist economic revisions. Their people will surely restore the monarchy and come back for vengeance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Konnigratz View Post
    A second world war is imminent, however. Britain, the US, Mexico, China, and the UPCA shall undoubtedly form a coalition to oppose the Comintern. It is a time for peace, but not a time for pacifism.
    Don't forget Columbia, Haiti, Venezuela, Japan, Egypt, Siam, Portugal, and Arabia.

    I also find it peculiar that Trotsky has completed most of the goals of the True Germans. Having faced the world powers head on, and having reclaimed Switzerland and Austria for the primarily German VSVR.
    Last edited by ZechsMerquise73; 16-01-2011 at 01:40.

  19. #3999
    Great update!

    It will be interesting to have other communist GP's that you cannot sphere. The comintern will most likely be less united in the future.

  20. #4000
    The AAR isnt over right?
    Nationality: USA
    Religion: Atheist
    Ideology: Marxist
    Issues: Planned Economy/Full Citizenship
    Current Work: Student / Disabled
    Cash Reserves: Moderate
    Revolt Risk: OVER 9000!!!
    Consciousness: 10,000

Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts