• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great work with Austria. Encirclements are just so satisfying aren't they - the AI should really be programmed to keep its lines of supply open.

You now face a relatively long period of cooling your heels until you've got low enough infamy to go to war again.

Must read moar, tbh I often negelect micro managing my armies, as I often battle with literally hordes of soldiers or just suckering my victim into one single titanic battle and ensuring I will it, and then mopping up whats left.

Please keep posting this AAR.

I'm at another pause, sip, and think moment. I had forgotten one very important rule: The Victoria 2 AI is militant about retaking cores, and Russia wants Armenia back. Russia of the "I can mobilize 80+ divisions every 5 years until you lose." variety.

So, here's the question:
Do I fight, despite many of my brigades being too ground down to reinforce, or do I let their armies get close (and take some attrition) before yielding and giving Armenia up?

To what extent can you trade space for time? I think the AI doesn't suffer attrition on its own territory, but will do so on occupied territory. Try to hold bottlenecks some way from your borders with whatever you have and let Russia take the border provinces. With any luck you'll tempt them into battles on your own territory and the warscore that you get from winning here will allow you to take a White Peace.

If you think a few months won't be enough to get your army into any shape to resist, then peace out before they get any ideas about adding wargoals.

To what extent can you trade space for time.

The problem with trading space for time is that their mobilized divisions can reinforce pretty much endlessly. Also, most of that space in the east is hills and rivers (so attacking eats defensive bonuses), and in the west, it's a short path to Istanbul.

The problem with trading space for time is that their mobilized divisions can reinforce pretty much endlessly. Also, most of that space in the east is hills and rivers (so attacking eats defensive bonuses), and in the west, it's a short path to Istanbul.

Who controls the Black Sea? If you've got the larger navy their you can keep them off balance and use naval landings to cut supply lines and surround and eliminate Russian armies. If you've got enough transports (>=10) you can quickly reinforce coastal provinces by sailing into the harbour. I'm not sure the AI takes account of that when planning moves, and naval movement is so fast that even if you wait for the battle to start you can be there in 2-3 days.

That said, it's sounding like you're not too optimistic, and as you have the best view of the situation I'd say that that argues for a quick surrender on your part.

I'm at another pause, sip, and think moment. I had forgotten one very important rule: The Victoria 2 AI is militant about retaking cores, and Russia wants Armenia back. Russia of the "I can mobilize 80+ divisions every 5 years until you lose." variety.

So, here's the question:
Do I fight, despite many of my brigades being too ground down to reinforce, or do I let their armies get close (and take some attrition) before yielding and giving Armenia up?

I think you are taking an operational approach to a grand-strategic question.

The question really is - where do you want to go with the OE? What do you want your relation with Russia to be, long-term? If you want the OE to be Europe-focused, and/or engaged in a long-term struggle with Russia, then I would try to hold on to Armenia as long as possible, as it's great defensive terrain - may as well fight them there as anywhere. Maybe you could ally with some other European GP (or even possibly China) and see if you can get them involved on your side.

If, OTOH, this is becoming a diversion from your Greater Plans, an annoyance that is "sucking all the oxygen" out of your options, the Iraq to your US foreign policy, if you will ;), then declare victory and withdraw.

What do you want your relation with Russia to be, long-term?

I'd really prefer not to have to fight a war with all their mobilized peons every 5 years. Is that long term enough? :)

I'd really prefer not to have to fight a war with all their mobilized peons every 5 years. Is that long term enough? :)

Then I'd say run up the white flag and move on. BTW, if you improve your relations with them above 40 border incidents will go away, which is one less thing to worry about.

You can also argue the other way around: historically it's you who should be as militant about DoWing Russia every 5 years, after all they stole the Caucasus and the Crimea from you... The question is, how many wars would you need to neutralize them for good.

Thank you for another 2 chapters, just had the time to read up on them :)

Your Chapter 7 would be too short in words to be counting for the contest,
so this would exclude all chapters after the 5th from the contest.

Do you want them excluded and only your first 5 be judged for the contest? (no problem with that)
Or if you want all your chapters judged then you would need to expand the chapter 7 alittle to make it eligible.

However you choose, i like your updates and wish you luck against the russians,
i hope to see many more updates :)

Double posting, can be deleted -.-

Excellent stuff trumping Austria. I won't even consider giving you advice with regards to your current Russia conundrum, you know far more about this game than I do. Well actually some small advice; adopt Two Sicilies 'have your entire army stand around taking attrition for no reason' strategy, its sure to work!

Your Chapter 7 would be too short in words to be counting for the contest,
so this would exclude all chapters after the 5th from the contest.

I've made an update to the chapter so it falls inside the guideline. Do you need a PM as well? :)

I've made an update to the chapter so it falls inside the guideline. Do you need a PM as well? :)

Thank you for updating it, no PM needed, i update it in my overview table then as well. :)

Nice AAR, really like the war with Russia that you won. Can't wait for more.

Excellent stuff trumping Austria. I won't even consider giving you advice with regards to your current Russia conundrum, you know far more about this game than I do. Well actually some small advice; adopt Two Sicilies 'have your entire army stand around taking attrition for no reason' strategy, its sure to work!

So, what you're saying, just to be clear...I should gather my entire army into one giant stack, and go occupy Siberia? Preferably during December?

Hrm...this sounds like a plan that couldn't possibly fail! ;)

So, what you're saying, just to be clear...I should gather my entire army into one giant stack, and go occupy Siberia? Preferably during December?

Hrm...this sounds like a plan that couldn't possibly fail! ;)

I worked for China!

Until the battle score made them lose two states...