• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"Pasha" is a title, not technically a name. In this context it would be "general".

Correct. The game also uses Bey as a last name for Ottoman generals, so you get a lot of Pashas and Beys.

In a completely unrelated aside, this blog post explains migration, MIL, and CON in perfect terms.

I didn't realize the magnitude of change in Egypt until I compared the last screenshot with that world map. So much green everywhere... And just a handful of Anarcho-liberal rebels who might possibly rise up against you. ;)

Interesting to learn how you're demolishing Russian prestige by hitting its spheremates. Never knew that, and 25 prestige is a sizeable hit. Good to know.

PS: Regarding the completely unrelated explanation of MIL, CON and migration, that was very... instructive. Funny, too. And it makes me very glad we have cats, not dogs. :)

In a completely unrelated aside, this blog post explains migration, MIL, and CON in perfect terms.

thank you ... this did indeed help ... but yep it also makes me glad to be at the mercy of a houseful of cats. So if I got it right, anarcho-liberals are the dogs? They migrate by flopping around all over your domain? The only way to reduce MIL is to squeek at them?

This is going far too well to last. I expect the UK will cancel the alliance the same month the mother of all A-L rebellions erupts :eek: That'd be a double-pants-down moment...

But why the hell would anyone choose to move to Ottoman Empire? :rofl:

Why not? The place where you can be infamous without worrying about the consequences :)

Correct. The game also uses Bey as a last name for Ottoman generals, so you get a lot of Pashas and Beys.

Sorry, gotta clarify that. The Turkish language did not have surnames until Ataturk's reforms after the Republic was founded. Honorifics & titles were used (and still used) after the first name - the only name a person had pre-1930s.

Bey was equivalent to Sir, so Osman Bey = Sir Osman, though it was also a title for a governor of a province. Today Bey is equivalent to Mr. - so Osman Bey today = Mr. Osman.

I'm breathlessly waiting for your rebels to rise up. I will probably try my hand at a GB game when I return from vacation. At least then I'll be able to sphere or conquer all the countries that have the raw materials that my POPs will need!

Very nicely done, but the news with regards to the amount of potential rebels is quite sobering. Hopefully there will be no rebellions for some time yet! Also I now know to book a holiday to Tripoli having read this AAR, all those nations invading it; it must be some place.

If you do not mind my asking, but what is the map-mod/color-mod for the countries? It intrigues me so.

Enewald: To partake of the glory of the empire without having to deal with the horrors of occupation?

Melrick: We'll see how fun it is if/when those A-L rebels rise. :)

Timmie0307: Yes. One Russia (or possibly the US) yanks Persia from my SoI, I will need to take the Russian-Persian border fast.

Stuyvesant: I was surprised that the AI let their sphere go so easily. Realistically, the best thing for Russia would have been to accept the war with Serbia and call on France, as the longer we wait, the bigger I get.

loki100: Yes. With booties.

aldriq: That would be very, very bad.

anweRU: I kinda miss the more appropriate names from EU3.

morningSIDEr: All rebels shall be given free passage through a temporal portal to 1400's Khandesh. PS: The Bey of Tripoli has been alerted to your arrival. :)

KanyeWest: It is Alexspeed's Map Improvement Package mapmod.

I hope to get back to posting in the new year. I was given Civ 5, Bioshock, Mass Effect, and Mount and Blade: Warband for Christmas, so I'm somewhat distracted.

Thank you very much for the link.

Nice! I got Victoria II, Europa Universalis III Complete (Complete rubbish), Empire and Napoleon Total War, Assassins' Creed II, and Black Ops. and that's just the games.

Speaking of A-L rebels, I'm playing a game as Austria, and I've got 1.6 million of them waiting in the wings. lol

I played as the Khanate of Kiva, and I had at least 1.7 million threaten to piss me off. Keep up, Austrians, you barely have enough whiny A-L's to fill Huffington Post. Use your charms to stun them! (And by charms, I mean mooch off of the Prussians and be jealous of the Ottomans).

KanyeWest: Nice!

Melrick: Aren't those huge uprisings fun?

Commandante: There will be more...but it slows.

I'll get back to posting after the 15th, once home 'net is back.

Oh: I tested what would happen if I dropped the alliance with the UK. Instant DoW by France, Russia, and UK. :)

Chapter 22: Colonial Expansion

After phone issues, then work issues, then sick kids and angry dogs (bathing a dog that doesn't want to be bathed may lead to pain and suffering), I'm back!

Let's get things started!

o22dowkokand.jpg

The Russians decline to aid their sphereling. Pathetic, really.

April 9: Rubber is discovered in Suakin. The clothing scene in Soho will never be the same.

April 10: Bukhara is annexed. This helpfully lengthens my border with Russia.

June: A look at the National Comparison in the ledger shows that only 6 nations have over 50 brigades: China, UK, Japan, OE, France, and Korea. France has 120 brigades, 14 of which are standing on the border in Tunisia. On the other side of the planet, Dai Nam has a huge Anarcho-Liberal uprising. My army in conquered Luang Prabang laughs. And in other news, Mexico is also overrun by Anarcho-Liberals.

June 28: France declares war on Egypt. This is seriously annoying - I can't declare war yet to eat the rest of Egypt.

August 24: Mombasa colonized. Bangui is colonized in October, Dahoney in November, and Inner Mauritania in December.

September 28: Since I can't take all of Kokand yet, I settle for over half.

o22kokandpeace.jpg

October 13: I finally get a botanical expedition!

o22botanical.jpg

To celebrate, we declare war on the Pope and annex Hesse-Darnstadt. France declines to help the Pope - I am trying very hard to avoid a two front war between Russia and France, and I want one of them beaten down soon before the UK decides to break the alliance and declare war.

o22dowpope.jpg

December 19: Most of my European troops are bored. We solve that.

o22dowprussia.jpg

December 22: Mechanical Production is researched, and we start Inorganic Chemistry. My economy needs serious help.

December 28: A look at Berlin shows that Prussia is building me 4 factories in Brandenburg. Aren't they so sweet?

December 31, 1880: A look at Africa.

o22africa.jpg

January 27: Kigali is colonized.

March: Tuscany breaks free from Italy, so we declare war and eat it. The Pope cedes us Romagna, giving us a convenient border with Tuscany.

May 10: To avoid having 1600 A-L brigades rise, we enact Kanun-i-Esasi, which reduces MIL by 3 but raises CON by 2. I need CON - hopefully it will increase social reform desire and limit how many A-L rebels I get. I also hope that rising literacy will split the rebels between Jacobins and Anarcho-Liberals.

May 31: Prussia is annexed, and France removes the Netherlands from our Sphere of Influence. We respond by using our 100 influence in the Netherlands to drop France's relation to Cordial, allowing us a free shot at the Dutch.

July 1: We declare war on the Dutch. Unfortunately for the Dutch, I'm able to surround and annihilate their main armies almost immediately. Unfortunately, I don't have the forces in Asia to take Java.

o22dowdutch.jpg

July 15: Tuscany is annexed, giving me a port in the Western Med.

August 20: Spain declares war on Hedjaz. This will lead to another pointless Spanish-Ottoman war. Over in the Pacific...the Dutch decide to take revenge for my occupation of their home by taking...Bali.

o22bali.jpg

September 7: Italy declares war on Austria. Will their string of patheticness end? Will the Ottomans manage to get a 1 on 1 war with France or Russia? Will Britain continue to stand by while the Turks take over the world?

o22italyvaustria.jpg

Last edited: