• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Short of the sort of language that would make Joe Pesci proud (and this is a family-oriented forum, after all), I think 'Whoops' sums it up best. I look forward to seeing what you can salvage from this situation. :)

I love however whenever the UK becomes involved, the collective reaction of players everywhere is awe mixed with fear. :D I don't think the Sublime State is down for the count, however! I believe in them!..

Unfortunately, belief can only take one so far vs the British. :( They're like a steamroller made of titanium and chipperness. Quick! The only solution is to send them Russian army training manuals!

Excellent update, as always. :)

TonyJoe: I suspect that if the UK gets involved, they'll go after Sindh and Johore, and blockade me ruthlessly.

Tanzhang: Exactly!

morningSIDEr: Austria, sadly, is not quite that stupid.

Dewirix: They have 30ish brigades after mobilizing. Baden and Wurtemburg have 3 between them.

loki100: And offend both of them terribly, I think.

aldriq: Beat them like a red-headed stepchild, of course!

Edzako: Thank you! Feel free to ask questions or point out where I've made mistakes. I'm still not fully understanding of everything in V2 - the economy still drives me insane (or rather, the UK's trashing of the global economy).

Stuyvesant: It would be rather funny to have an off-forum Joe Pesci themed Italian AAR.

Housekeeping stuff:
* I've upgraded to v7 of the unofficial fixpack by Chann. It kicks butt.

* After research, I've figured out why there are so many A-L liberals and posted a bug report. Essentially, low literacy POPs and liberals in a nation with Weighted Universal or Universal voting will almost always become A-L rebels. Since the OE has abysmally low literacy, guess what my most common rebel type is?

* Due to some odd reload bug, the promotion factors for bureaucrats were reversed. Thus, having 100% on the admin slider essentially makes the promotion chance 0 unless I use an NF (at which point it's only 6% even with the NF). This has very helpfully wasted a couple of years worth of trying to hire bureaucrats.

Housekeeping stuff:
* I've upgraded to v7 of the unofficial fixpack by Chann. It kicks butt.

Could you give little more detail about that? (link?)
I didnt had the time to check it out myself jet and would like to hear more about it. :)

The unofficial fixpack for 1.2 can be found here.

It fixes some typos in starting pops, promotion bugs, the Jacobin rebel typo bug, prevents overseas provinces from joining the CSA, etc. Lots of little bugfixes.

Ah i see, thank you :)

Chapter 12: Two front war

August 26, 1855: As many of you guessed, the UK declines to join Austria in the war. A giant sigh of relief is heard from the Ottoman court. Baden and Wurtemburg join the war (being Austria's remaining sphere), but they only have 3 brigades after mobilizing. Austria has 31. Russia has 87, we have 49 (with some new regiments being raised). This really won't be all that bad.

o12ukdeclines.jpg

September 8: Russia and Sweden prove that things won't be any better with Austria in the war. Seeing as the Austrian front has forts 3 deep, I have plenty of time to kick Russia like a red-headed stepchild.

o12battles.jpg

September 24: Fleeing Russian armies are caught in Tirgu Jiu, but since Russia keeps trickling in more brigades as reinforcements, I can't surround them. Not that this is helping the Russians...

o12boftirgujiu.jpg

October 7: This will make the war interesting. I have nothing to lose - I have too much infamy to take anything, so we accept. The British then join the war. Annoyingly, though, they take leadership.

o12ukalliance.jpg
o12ukcallally.jpg

October 15: The Russians learn that yes, yes it can get worse. This will nearly kick them out of Wallachia.

o12boftirgoviste.jpg

The Badenese and Wurtemburgers start to show up in the west, and the Austrians are happily occupying NE Croatia.

October 21: The UK foolishly lets Serbia out of the war, giving up free war score. However, the UK adds a war goal - Acquire Russian Alaska. Interesting.

November: Another Russian force is savaged in Bucharest., then chased to Ruse and wiped out, destroying 11 brigades. Russia is down to 74.

January 5, 1856: Italy declares war on Egypt to take Sidi Barrani.

March 9: A farmer falls into his thresher and becomes a cause celebre for pensions. Liberals call for a Russian manservant to be provided to all Ottoman Citizens, to be called a "pension".

o12threshing.jpg

April 1: Another case where the AI's overaggressiveness can be exploited. By moving south into Constanta while the the other army is in Braida, it makes it possible for me to bring two armies (without worrying about attrition) into Constanta into a pincer without crossing a river (since the southern army arrives first). The Swedish army in Wallachia is also now too far away to be of help. Since the AI realizes (correctly) that the second army won't help, it won't bring it in.

o12constanta.jpg

This is the result.

o12bofconstanta.jpg

April 30: The Austrians foolishly attack a decent defensive general in Sisak with a crap offensive general. However, I can't press the advantage, as the second Austrian army shows up.

o12bofsisak.jpg

May 22: This completely wipes out the Russian forces in the Western Front, leaving them with 44 brigades (we have 60). Over in the eastern front, two small Russian armies are occupying Armenia and taking a small bit of attrition, but it's just not worth trying to dislodge them from mountains. For some insane reason, the Russians still won't accept peace.

o12bofbraila.jpg

May 27: Some very European looking Turks are conspiring. The votes given by events generally vanish at the next election, so this doesn't really do us any good - we don't have enough liberals.

o12conspiracy.jpg

June 11: The second Austrian army also loses in Sisak, leading to both armies being chased down and destroyed. The battles are now largely over, although a small Russian army does show up and immediately get surrounded and killed.

o12bofsisak2.jpg

August 1: Russia finally realizes they've lost. They immediately rip Persia out of my SoI (using the influence gained during the war), but I put it back within a month.

o12russianpeace.jpg

December 10: And now Austria also gives up.

o12austrianpeace.jpg

Last edited:
That was a timely bit of backstabbing by the UK! And if you manage to stay allied to them, maybe Russia will think twice about attacking you in 5 years! Then again, the Russian AI hasn't shown much talent for thinking lately...

Nice! Some of the cleverest AI actions I've yet seen (I'm talking about the British Backstab and acquisition of Alaska, not the usual Russian incompetence. Or the Austrian incompetence). The British made optimal use of your Russian-killing prowess to take a nice bit of land for themselves. Did they engage in any combat at all, or did they merely let you build up the war score in their favor?

Of course, if you're still allied to the Brits, that might give you a few years of peace for internal development (or a few choice acquisitions of your own, Infamy permitting).

A nice choice from Britain to join the winning side, but I'd imagine Russia losing Alaska is bad for you in the longrun as she will be able to better concentrate her troops within her own territory now (saying this, she likely only had a few men over in Alaska, so perhaps her simply losing land is better for you). Regardless you have a powerful, if treacherous, new ally and Russia have been drubbed again. It is looking good.

AllmyJames: Yes, it was nice of the UK to turn around. I don't know if Russia will stop declaring war on me, though. They did it when I was allied to France (which also had more military power).

Enewald: With only 4% mobilization, at least 96%! :)

Stuyvesant: They did send a large army to stand in once Italian province, and they took Alaska from Canada. They also blockaded Russia's northern ports.

loki100: If you have no other skill, that is a good one to have.

morningSIDEr: It's bad because letting Britain have anything is bad. But other than that, it's not that big a deal.

Najs: I wish. Russia is now industrializing too fast to get knocked out of the GPs, unless perhaps I decided to screw the infamy limit and try and eat as much as I could per war.

With the UK in control of Alaska we shouldn't see the crazy situation of Russia selling it to the US and then declaring war to get it back.

Were you not tempted to leave Persia out of your SoI and just declare war on them instead? As an unciv, you could have picked up some cheap states.

Those businessmen seem to be the same group that were considering offing Roosevelt, Franklin D. :eek: Except they've traveled from time to time and place to place, somehow ending up in Turkey. Hmn, wonder if it's a coincidence. Anyway, what a crazy update! If the UK releases Canada, will it get Alaska now? That'd be a really nice touch. Seems like you've got a good idea going with this pension system, by the by... :D And glad you agree with me about the British.

With Russian war exhaustion as it is, they're probably nearly riddled with rebels, either anarcho-liberal or reactionary at this point - can you take advantage of that? Or is Russia proving ridiculously rebel repellent?

Were you not tempted to leave Persia out of your SoI and just declare war on them instead? As an unciv, you could have picked up some cheap states.

When I get N&I, I'll let Russia knock them out of my SoI, reduce their relations, and gobble it up. That'll save the work of constantly defending it from Russia.

Communitarian: No rebel problems yet for Russia. Alaska does not have Canadian cores, so no, it would not get Alaska.