• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This AAR is on hold while I play a bit with China. By 1860, I'm bordering the Ottomans, and just about done taking out the buffer states between me and Russia. Britain, sadly, is being obnoxiously powerful.
Lured from the path of righteousness by the attractions of the yellow peril :(

This AAR is on hold while I play a bit with China. By 1860, I'm bordering the Ottomans, and just about done taking out the buffer states between me and Russia. Britain, sadly, is being obnoxiously powerful.

Sad to see it on hold, but nevethless, thank you for your AAR and have fun with your china game, hope you come back to this one again :)

I was hoping to update today, but my playing time last night kept getting interrupted and was cut short by a crash (not V2 related). I'll try again tonight.

My sympathies - my old box works terribly everytime I don't boot it up into SUSE, sigh. Also, I'm dying to ask about your China game for some advice related stuff, but have actually been trying to play without asking for advice so far. Will it continue? Who knows! :rofl: Either way, we'll be here whenever it get's posted, eager to read.

My sympathies - my old box works terribly everytime I don't boot it up into SUSE, sigh. Also, I'm dying to ask about your China game for some advice related stuff, but have actually been trying to play without asking for advice so far. Will it continue? Who knows! :rofl: Either way, we'll be here whenever it get's posted, eager to read.

Well, I'll give a spoiler: Another war with a GP! Dolchstoß!!

As for China advice, the best advice I can give you is to not pass health care reform. :)

Well, I'll give a spoiler: Another war with a GP! Dolchstoß!!

Ah, that will be another interesting one to see. Maybe slightly tougher than the war with Russia, as the AI only has to deal with naggy on one front ;)

Chapter 7: A short peace and annexation

March 28, 1844: Our Naval Base is completed in Karachi. This gives us range to the Far East.

April 27: We declare war on Johore, to gain access to their gold mines, and to set up a Far East staging point to invade Siam and the rest of Indochina.

o7johoredow.jpg

May 9: Prussia declares war on Austria, with a goal to take Moravia. They do not call for allies. Austria does. This will prove to be a very bad idea.

May 30: Johore's army is wiped out in Kuantan, causing less Ottoman casualties than the boat ride.

June 24: We share our splendor with the world. There is much splendor to share! (What is this "writing" thing you are talking about?)

o7placeinthesun.jpg

September 17: Two Sicilies (in our SoI) offers an alliance. We accept.

December: UK declares war on China to take Yunnan.

March 2, 1845: Atheism and Individualism give us 10% more plurality. Egalitarianism follows in 2 months.

June 2: Since Russia can't hurt me, they decide to annex Khiva.

August 4: We learn Army Professionalism to bring us even with most other GPs on tactics. We go for Malthusian Thought for the education efficiency. WTF? "We're going to overpopulate and starve to death. Now go out and learn to read!"

September 25: A Temperance League is formed. Oddly, demand for wine and liquor are not affected. Besides, why would a Muslim nation need one?

o7temperanceleague.jpg

December: With Johore annexed, we now gain 16.5 pounds/day from gold. Mmmm...gold. Tasty, tasty gold.

May 15, 1846: A look at Austria shows that they are down to 21 brigades, and that Prussia is down to 1. Bavaria has taken most of Rheinland, Tuscany is driving into Nordrhein, and Austria is driving in the east. Our ally is in danger! We must help!

o7prussia.jpg

(Yes, that's the Netherlands punking Belgium.)

A short note here: If you are playing in Europe, the last thing you want is Prussia to form the NGF -> Germany, or Austria to form SGF -> Germany, because you will be in serious, serious pain. Too much industry, too many soldiers, and too much tech. However, if you are OE, better for Prussia to form NGF or Germany and be your ally against Austria and/or Russia. Of course...if Prussia gets punked horribly, there won't be an NGF or Germany, yet there may well be a strong SGF that has higher literacy and higher tech on my doorstep.

Not a happy combination.

Last edited:
Chapter 8: The Liberation of Croatia

May 15, 1845: Ottoman armies arrive in their jump-off points on the Ottoman-Austrian border and on the Wallachian-Austrian border. The navy begins to set sail to pick up irregulars from the Tripoli garrison and to blockade Austrian ports. Generals have been assigned.

o8preparations.jpg

War is declared! Our armies move to occupy Dalmatia (where the occupying armies can be protected by a screening army in Bihac) and Sisak. Our war goal: Acquire Croatia (which will cut them off from Dalmatia)

May 16: We did not call our allies, lest some of them decide not to get involved. Moldavia and Wallachia join (calling satellites does not cost diplomatic points), as do Greece (Maybe) and Two Sicilies (Very Likely). France, the Papal States, Sweden, and Sardinia-Piedmont make it clear they will not get involved (Unlikely, France is Very Unlikely), so they are not called. In the east, 3 armies of 2 brigades each begin occupying.

June: A Bavarian army suicidally attacks an army twice its size, dug in, in the hills. Death ensues.

Austria and Bavaria mobilize - now Austria has 30 regiments and Bavaria has 12. They started with 21 and 5 (yes, Bavaria can mobilize almost as much as Austria. Fear them.)

o8austriamobilizes.jpg

June 14: The Austrian 3rd Army shows up - 5 brigades. I immediately begin moving regiments to create an encirclement around Sisak, where the Austrian army has decided that attacking a +3 defensive general in the hills would be a good idea.

o8sisakencirclement.jpg

June 27: The Austrian 3rd Army surrenders after being shredded. If only every battle went that well... Somehow, in destroying 5 brigades, Austria is down to 23 left. Not sure how this math works, unless some Austrian mobilized brigades were killed off offscreen (possible).

o8bofsisak.jpg

July 17: The Bavarian 3rd Army pops out of the fog of war at a very inconvenient moment - my brigade in Karlovac has no general (I didn't have enough to go around, and can't get away fast enough. Nearby armies are directed to their defense, which leads to a mauling of both the lone brigade (which had several days of being torn apary alone) and the Bavarians. My attempt to encircle falls short (twice), and the Bavarians are chased east to Bjelovar and wiped out in August, at a cost of a couple more thousand Ottoman soldiers. Brigade count: Austria 20, Bavaria 4.

o8bofkarlovac.jpg

August: With the Bavarians dispatched, the Ottoman armies split up to move back to friendly territory to reinforce and avoid attrition.

In the east, the Austrian 1st Army pops out of nowhere to savage 1 Ottoman occupation army and the Wallachians in separate battles. Only the late intervention by Kamil Pasha with 4 brigades turns the tide and sends the Austrians running. After a couple of months, the Austrians are wiped out.

o8easterntheatre.jpg

September 9: Baden joins in the fun, deciding bringing 3 brigades down the Dalmatian coast while 6 Austrian brigades decide to see if the second time is the charm in Sisak.

o82ndtry.jpg

September 29: Baden has lost in Senj and opts to retreat south (away from any possible help). The Austrians are in a familiar position: encircled and getting pummelled.

o8sisakencirclement2.jpg

October 18: Musa Bey's army in Sisak forces the Austrians to surrender, but at a terrible price. His men are heard grumbling about "those @#%$ing dice!". Austria is now down to 10 brigades.

o8bofsisak2.jpg

October 22: Prussia shows how hosed they are.

o8rheinland.jpg

October 31: Baden's army (all of it) has finally been run down and killed. Somewhere out of sight, Austria lost 6 brigades, bringing them down to 4. The Ottomans begin to spread out and occupy Croatia and Slavonia, now that Dalmatia is occupied.

November 6: Smelling blood in the water, Serbia decides to go after Slavonia. Russia joins Serbia to help them.

o8croatiadow.jpg

November 13: Russia asks for Military Access. We accept - no reason not to. (Apparently, unlike EU3, Military Access doesn't prevent war, or really do anything if you abuse it.)

Over in Italy, Two Sicilies is using the age-old tactic of "have your entire army stand around taking attrition for no reason".

o8twosicilies.jpg

November 28: Does this look familiar? I think we know how this turns out...although it takes two tries (they win in Karlovac, lose and surrender in Bihac)

o8bavarianattack.jpg

December 6: France breaks their alliance with Prussia. No real apparent reason why, other than the fact that an alliance with someone getting kicked around like a red-headed stepchild with only 1 brigade is kinda pointless.

January 29, 1847: Despite only having 4 brigades left and their allies having lost their armies (except for Tuscany, happily standing around in Western Prussia occupying), Austria refuses peace.

March 4: Prussia and France resign their Alliance. Prussia now has 2 brigades, so they're all better.

March 31: Austria finally admits defeat, and cedes Croatia. Our infamy is too high for any other useful war goal, and it's too expensive to occupy all of Austria just for kicks, so we accept. We gain Croatia, and the glass factory in it.

o8cedecroatia.jpg

June 13: We finish researching Malthuisian Thought, and pick Idealism (+50% RP).

July: Austria builds 9 new brigades, and proceeds to kick Serbia's army around like a rag doll. The Netherlands annexes Belgium, and follows that up by declaring war on defenseless Bavaria for the Rheinland. (The people of the Rheinland should set up shops to sell stuff to occupying armies.)

o8nedvbav.jpg

You SHould Resore youre Stockpile Spending to 100% at the current rate you wont be able to afford goods for your military and this is lowering its efficiency, also your pops will get upset when they find out that there is no more bread. so to avoid a revolution, Increase the Budget, THEY DONT WANT CAKE!

the austrians lost the war but won the awesomeness contest with their Hellpach generals :D

Thanks for the advice! I'll remember not to do that (and avoid population explosion, bwahaha!). What action-packed updates! I'm glad to see Croatia under Ottoman control, it seems very likely that the port and factory provided will help you keep pegs on Austria for any future wars. Are you thinking of trying to buddy up with Russia, or thrust a dagger in their ribs when they aren't looking?

The Temperence League decision seems funny. If it's just a Temperence League, I suppose I can see how it could increase efficiency or prestige, maybe. But if it's supposed to represent abstraction of the Prohibition movements, shouldn't demand for alcohol rocket and efficiency go down, especially admin/crime fighting efficiency? After all, the knee-jerk reactionism of Prohibition was a fertile ground for criminal wealth...

And really, given you're the Ottoman Empire, a Muslim state, it just doesn't make a lot of sense.

But hey! +5 Farming and Mining efficiency! xD Woo woo!

You SHould Resore youre Stockpile Spending to 100% at the current rate you wont be able to afford goods for your military and this is lowering its efficiency, also your pops will get upset when they find out that there is no more bread. so to avoid a revolution, Increase the Budget, THEY DONT WANT CAKE!

As long as the military gets paid, they don't care what the stockpile spending is. Where it becomes a problem is if your country produces more military goods than anyone is buying. Early game, this isn't a big deal - later it is.

Also, 100% stockpile spending will do no good once you max out your loans.

Last edited: