+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Sick Man of Europe - an Ottoman Empire AAR

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneMajesty 2Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae Victis

Its great fun seeing the 'Sick Man of Europe' put the bear back in its place. Hehe. You would think the Ruskies would get over their human wave advances after so many good men have been made into compost in your empire. Nice of the UK to do a nice flip-flop on your foes lol. Hopefully Russia losing war after war on you hasn't let them put in every reform they might ever want. I would hate to see what happens to those mobilisation numbers with some mighty healthcare reform that most of the 21st century world would be envious of lol. Thanks for the good read naggy!
    Emirates United: an Abu Dhabi AAR
    A Victoria 2 AAR
    Best Character Writer of the Week: 21-28th of November 2010
    Better to stand on our feet - A Tripoli AAR
    A Victoria 2 AAR

Argentina Delenda Est Tanzhang (譚張)'s Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Refusing to Play Between Dream and Reality...
    Yay! British Alaska!

March 9: A farmer falls into his thresher and becomes a cause celebre for pensions. Liberals call for a Russian manservant to be provided to all Ottoman Citizens, to be called a "pension".
    I see you've reintroduced slavery. Good show.
    Loyal we Began, Loyal we Remain: A History of the British Empire After the Great War
    A New Canadian Kaiserreich AAR for Darkest Hour [KR 1.5]
    Winner of: AARland Choice Awards Q1 2014

From Eagle to Phoenix: The Rebirth of the Roman Republic
    A New Roman Republic AAR for Europa Universalis IV
    Winner of: WritAAR of the Week: 08/09/2013, Weekly AAR Showcase: 13/10/2013, Best Character Writer of the Week 01/12/2013, AARland Choice Awards: Q3/4 2013

- I was Fan of the Week: 01/01/2012 and 26/05/2013 and WritAAR of the Year: 2013 ~ Proud recipient of two Kenshin Cookies ~
    - ~ More AARs avaliable at my Inkwell! (硯臺) ~ -

HoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    MagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanzhang (譚張) View Post
    I see you've reintroduced slavery. Good show.
    Nah. Although, amusingly, my African Minor POPs are militant because they want Allow Slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by naggy View Post
    Nah. Although, amusingly, my African Minor POPs are militant because they want Allow Slavery.
    extreme reactionaries?

Art - Games - History Alexspeed's Avatar
    92 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur IIThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Great update naggy!
    I am glad you where able to show them where they belong
    Some great tactics shown, the AI looked like a small puppy crushed by ... something big and painfull

Hope to read more of it
    Platypus rutilus, in hoc signo vinces - In honorem Paradox!
    Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign for a diseased mind! – Terry Pratchett
    ----------- -----------
    Alexspeed´s MIP - Map Improvment Package and Untransparent Map Mod for Victoria 2.
    Alexspeed´s Canvas Worldmap, SexiiColours Intense and Clear Map Overlay for Victoria 2.

Mount & Blade Custom Flag Tutorial - Alexspeed´s Victoria 2 Wallpapers and Loadscreens & Wallpapers for EU3

Member of The Iconians Club 50 and the 200k Club - - Proud Owner of the SAS Award for Forum Dedication.
    My finished Victoria 2 AAR Contest - My AwAARds: Fan of the Week: 7-Nov-2010

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight

Blog Entries
    Kaltorak: I haven't really driven their WE up high, and the 2 militancy from losing the war goal seems to fade pretty quickly. I suspect that Russia has few, if any, reforms. However, the AI is pretty stubborn - I'm betting more Russians will be fertilizing Ottoman soil.

Duke of Awesome: Not extreme, but they are some of my more reactionary POPs.

Alexspeed: They belong under my bootheel! And don't worry, another update is around the corner...

Blog Entries

Chapter 13: Relative peace and calm

December 1856: Persia re-allies with us.

January, 1857: The British Army is on an Italian holiday - over 34,000 of them. It takes a few months for the British to take them back home.

April 14: Typhoid Fever is spotted in the Kars region, prompting a strict quarantine. Thousands die, even with the quarantine, leading to widespread anger. Russia is blamed, and a ring of Croatian officers in Karlovac are executed for treason as well. (I love the synchronicity of events...)

April 15: Italy acquires the Sidi Barrani region of Egypt.

July 7: One advantage of Prussia being split in two is that rebels get stuck on one side or the other.

You know there have been some beat downs when the Netherlands has the 6th largest army in the world (and 4th in Europe).

A look at the angriest Ottoman POPs - the two reform desires causing militancy are Landed Voting and Allow Slavery. The majority of them, of course, are Anarcho-Liberal rebels.

Also, we've unlocked a new party...my first with L-F! Unfortunately, I have too many small factories to be able to switch to L-F yet - they'd all be wiped out immediately. I also can't balance my budget under L-F: the max of 50% tax would wipe out my budget and prevent me from keeping taxes on my Rich low so I can get more liberals.

December 28, 1857: We finish researching Positivism and start on Functionalism. More education efficiency = more literacy = faster pop promotion and more RP. I now get 8.19 RP/day, which is probably around 60-70% what other GPs would have at this point.

May 18, 1858: The Confederate States of America secede from the USA. Without anything west of the Mississippi, they're doomed.

July 4, 1857: Some very weird Asian-looking Ethiopians insult our wig-bearing pasty-white ambassadors, giving us a Cut Down to Size CB on Ethiopia (The pictures are extra-hilarious when you play other nations...). Usually, I'd ignore such things, but Ethiopia is close by, and happens to border the two African regions I have the tech to colonize (Werder and Negele).

This, of course, leads to war (why turn down 10 free prestige?)...

January 28, 1859: The concept of Organic Work spreads to a province in our nation, but doesn't spread further.

March 21: The war is expanded to take the Negele region in the south from Ethiopia.

April 20: Ottoman schools, not being discriminatory enough, are made moreso.

May 23: Panjab besieges our diplomatic mission yet again. We eat the 5 prestige and go back to bringing her back into our SoI. Once N&I is researched, she's dead.

August: The war with Ethiopia is finished, with Ethiopia cut down to size and forced to give up the Negele region (leading to us gaining 6 pounds/day in indemnities). Colonization efforts are begun in Negele province.

September: Our Temperance League has resulted in a Viticultural Association springing up in Southern Serbia (lushes!). Rather than allow beer halls and end the Temperance League, we take the +militancy option for local Liberals. They'll get over it.

October 29: The Ethiopians insult us again. Because last time worked so well! However, since they are already paying indemnities, we couldn't use the CB even if there wasn't a truce. Argh!

November 6, 1859: A look at Panjab via our alliance shows that their army is lost somewhere that I can't see it. 7 brigades are probably trapped in Siberia or something. And to make things funnier - the Communists are in charge (but it's still an absolute monarchy).

March 25, 1860: Austria is now #2 in industry with 443 points. This bodes very badly. In Prussia Reactionaries are close to breaking the nation (not a big loss, Prussia has no SoI currently anyway).

June, 1860: Portugal declares war on Egypt to take the Asyut region, right before we can sphere Egypt. However, since we are still allied, we get the call to beat Portugal up.

Last edited by naggy; 24-11-2010 at 21:25.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper FiVictoria 2500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Great update! Seems only fitting that the Turks would head into Ethiopia and work to secure a good supply of coffee
    EU3 AAR -- WC with Malacca in IN 3.1 – Complete Insanity??? Weekly AAR Showcase Award Winner in 2009. Tragically abandoned due to hard drive failure, but not before beating up on Ming a few times...

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Europa Universalis IV

Nice work even if it was kinda quiet. I'm sure Russia will liven things up again soon.

Argentina Delenda Est Tanzhang (譚張)'s Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Refusing to Play Between Dream and Reality...
    naggy, could you post a map showing your new conquests in Africa next update?
    Loyal we Began, Loyal we Remain: A History of the British Empire After the Great War
    A New Canadian Kaiserreich AAR for Darkest Hour [KR 1.5]
    Winner of: AARland Choice Awards Q1 2014

From Eagle to Phoenix: The Rebirth of the Roman Republic
    A New Roman Republic AAR for Europa Universalis IV
    Winner of: WritAAR of the Week: 08/09/2013, Weekly AAR Showcase: 13/10/2013, Best Character Writer of the Week 01/12/2013, AARland Choice Awards: Q3/4 2013

- I was Fan of the Week: 01/01/2012 and 26/05/2013 and WritAAR of the Year: 2013 ~ Proud recipient of two Kenshin Cookies ~
    - ~ More AARs avaliable at my Inkwell! (硯臺) ~ -

54 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaEUIV: Art of War

Young Turks?
    Sounds legit to me.

What an absurdly small Confederacy. It's hard to imagine states like Virginia and Kentucky seceding with such poor conditions for it, "lol ahistoricity" I guess.

What's with the pie charts for Negele? They look all screwed up.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Now you'll need a proper land bridge to your new Ethiopian lands... but first of course, anything to be had from Portugal?
    On-hold: Mamma Mia! The AAR
    Completed: Europe is our dancefloor | The Shortest Road to Damascus | No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    Tintero

The July AARlander is out now, no excuse not to read it: Thread | PDF | iBooks

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Good stuff. I rather think Austria needs to suffer a bit of a beating soon, that industry score is worrying. Something tells me that the American Civil War will not be quite as important in this timeline as it is in our own.
    This AAR Soks
    WritAAR of the Week: 8 January 2012 and Weekly AAR Showcase: 15 April 2012

Are you Deshtined to suffer another kiss?
    Favourite EU Comedy AAR AARland Choice AwAARds 2010 (Q3) and 2011 (Q3)
    Character Writer of the Week: 5 December 2010

My Inkwell - Warning! This content is rated EP: Extremely Poor
    Fan of the Week: 7 September 2010, 27 February 2011 and 26 April 2012

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneMajesty 2Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae Victis

Poor Portugal.. They always seem to stick their head into things and get it chopped off. That been said its usually for white peace. For some reason no one really punishes them. Maybe you will however. I hear them begging to keep west Africa already! An African empire awaits! So what else... the clockwork Russian DOW and maybe a dust up with Austria.. all sounds like fun to me!
    Emirates United: an Abu Dhabi AAR
    A Victoria 2 AAR
    Best Character Writer of the Week: 21-28th of November 2010
    Better to stand on our feet - A Tripoli AAR
    A Victoria 2 AAR

Blog Entries
    Rastar: Unfortunately the Spanish do too...

TonyJoe: It does get interesting quickly...

Tanzhang: Sure!

Enewald: Yeah, they'll be picked in a few years, I think.

Fronzel: Well, most of the South's population is in the East, but yes, seceding with the USA keeping control of the western half of the Mississippi spells a quick doom. The pie charts seem to be caused by a graphics display bug.

aldriq: Nope. Nothing worth taking from Portugal, and a land bridge will take a while.

morningSIDEr: That leads me to a question...

Kaltorak: Nope, going to let them go with WP. Nothing they have in Africa is worth the infamy.

So, here's the question:
    I think it's safe to assume Austria and Russia will DoW me in the next 10 years. If I stay under the infamy limit, they'll just get more industrial score and do it again. However, if I ignore the infamy limit, I can probably permanently secure a more permanent peace (and regain the Ottomans old claims in Eastern Europe and the Caucasus), at the cost of a lengthy British blockade (I have no hope of naval superiority since I can't build ironclads), and the occupation of Ottoman Sindh.

I'm certainly not going for a WC, however, at this point, my current constant warfare with Russia and Austria is frankly annoying and getting somewhat tedious.

So, which should I do? Stay under the infamy limit? Or restore the Ottoman Empire to its former glory?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IIMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    EUIV: Art of War

Blog Entries
    Is there a choice in the matter?

Did Mehmed the Conqueror care for Infamy limits?

FOR GLORY! PLANT THE STANDARD OF OSMAN IN THE HEART OF EUROPE!
    "Man is free; but his freedom does not look like the glorious liberty of the Enlightenment; it is no longer the gift of God. Once again, man stands alone in the universe, responsible for his condition, likely to remain in a lowly state, but free to reach above the stars.."
    -Jean-Paul Sartré

Art - Games - History Alexspeed's Avatar
    92 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur IIThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by naggy View Post
    So, which should I do? Stay under the infamy limit? Or restore the Ottoman Empire to its former glory?
    Now is that really a question?

Break the limit, be bold, be victorious!

Or loose and vanish with a big bang
    Platypus rutilus, in hoc signo vinces - In honorem Paradox!
    Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign for a diseased mind! – Terry Pratchett
    ----------- -----------
    Alexspeed´s MIP - Map Improvment Package and Untransparent Map Mod for Victoria 2.
    Alexspeed´s Canvas Worldmap, SexiiColours Intense and Clear Map Overlay for Victoria 2.

Mount & Blade Custom Flag Tutorial - Alexspeed´s Victoria 2 Wallpapers and Loadscreens & Wallpapers for EU3

Member of The Iconians Club 50 and the 200k Club - - Proud Owner of the SAS Award for Forum Dedication.
    My finished Victoria 2 AAR Contest - My AwAARds: Fan of the Week: 7-Nov-2010

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Core recovery wars do stop eventually, but I think you have to have enough military score to make the AI think twice before attacking you.

You don't need to have more military score than the AI though, as otherwise I would never have stopped fighting China.

That said, I think it would be fun to see the Ottomans go on another European rampage. Let's put the past couple of centuries behind us and play like it's 1529. Onward to Vienna!
    AAR in progress
    Yet this will go onward the same: the Yamato Destiny - Continuation of the last AAR in Victoria 2. Last updated 17th October 2012

Completed AAR
    The Yamato Destiny: A Japan HTTT AAR

Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Actually paying any heed to the infamy limit? Who is this imposter and what has happened to naggy?! War, glory and power, ignore the infamy limit! Restore Ottoman to her former power!

(uhm...and if you do somehow get defeated, I shall vehemently deny suggesting this course of action!)
    This AAR Soks
    WritAAR of the Week: 8 January 2012 and Weekly AAR Showcase: 15 April 2012

Are you Deshtined to suffer another kiss?
    Favourite EU Comedy AAR AARland Choice AwAARds 2010 (Q3) and 2011 (Q3)
    Character Writer of the Week: 5 December 2010

My Inkwell - Warning! This content is rated EP: Extremely Poor
    Fan of the Week: 7 September 2010, 27 February 2011 and 26 April 2012

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast