Darkest Hour - Dev Diary #7 - Missions, Interface and Leader Traits

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Won't Naval Bombers be able to do Naval Scramble?

Shouldn't air and naval scrambling work further than the base and adjacent provinces? It the interceptor is fast enough/bomber slow enough and the radar/visual sighting is early enough the interception could be made further. Plus, by coding adjacent provinces you ignore province size, so for example adjacent provinces in siberia are much further than in western europe.
It would seem best to target areas (like normal air/naval missions) for eligible interception or be able to set range limits.

Scamble should be better to defend against bombing campaign and air superiority should be better to get ai superiority over enemy territory.

Well obviously. But the effectiveness values shouldn't different. Or in fact, it might be appropriate to give scrambling a very slight disadvantage over air superiority because often the fighters on the ground sent to intercept the bomber formation are taken by surprise and the enemy formation is already rather close, so the fighters have less time to climb to a suitable position. This is especially true when the enemy is flying in bad weather/fog, making spotting them much harder.

Won't Naval Bombers be able to do Naval Scramble?

That's an excellent idea. Hopefully it is implemented.

Shouldn't air and naval scrambling work further than the base and adjacent provinces? It the interceptor is fast enough/bomber slow enough and the radar/visual sighting is early enough the interception could be made further. Plus, by coding adjacent provinces you ignore province size, so for example adjacent provinces in siberia are much further than in western europe.
It would seem best to target areas (like normal air/naval missions) for eligible interception or be able to set range limits.

While there are some nice things added here that I will miss in AoD it is the above suggestion that will make the scramble feature really what it should be (in case it doesn't work like that already) and will thus be missed much in AoD! If it will only work for adjecent provinces then it won't be such a big miss.

While there are some nice things added here that I will miss in AoD it is the above suggestion that will make the scramble feature really what it should be (in case it doesn't work like that already) and will thus be missed much in AoD! If it will only work for adjecent provinces then it won't be such a big miss.
Hope it will work for area or maybe region!

Remember, when at old times, it was impossible give province orders for air units. Sometimes I was ready to let my stupid bombers to die, when they missed hot front action and my land units failed make breakthrough as air support was missed. Bombers deside hit backline garrisson... Really important issue and all was so imppossible to fix.

Scrable is clever, important, obvious and something what was needed all the years. Interceptors are designed for this. Interceptors shold start when air defence spot incoming raids (like IT and radars).

Who knows what this game engine will provide us in next years :)

I would be interested in learning about what you guys did to production in the next Dev Diary. Of course I would prefer to hear about the AI, but I'm guessing that you are gonna wait on that one.

In reference to the Leader Traits, in AoD you can quickly sort the leaders in 5 different categories. Now the screenshot you posted is nice, but am I correct in seeing that when you hover over the traits of the leader you get that ugly looking list of modifiers?

Also you state that the "replacement" box helps find the leader you want faster then before, but I see nothing discussing what box checked does what for sorting to find that special leader you want to assign to your troops. Please explain more on what the "replacement" checkboxes mean.

Overall been playing IC and enjoying the tech tree more then any other feature thus showcased in any HoI 2 game or mod. To me the tech tree should be country specific as was the case in real life. No 2 countries produced identical products everything was unique in some way shape or form per the country developing it. Now if DH could make a tech tree like this, I would quit my job to play 24 hours a day!

Very nice work though overall. And some of the new features are very promising, though it still feels like AoD reshaped in some ways. :)