• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Whereof do I see it is colonial?

David I know there is less time to answer all questions a lot of people have, but please make the effort to look at the 10th post in this thread. I posted 2 pictures there. What makes the difference?
I would like to understand this important question.

Thank you very much.

I'm guessing Chilean Patagonia was now colonized, and as a colonial state it made Chile go Dominion instead of Satellite.

You can see if it's colonial in two places, just select the region in the main map, and just at the left of the "Select National focus" thing it may appear a small picture of some kind of building, that means it's a colony. If you can't see the small picture then it's a state.
Also in the population screen, colonies appear in the lower part of the list regardless of their name, with the said small building pic close to its name.

I'm guessing Chilean Patagonia was now colonized, and as a colonial state it made Chile go Dominion instead of Satellite.

This is true regarding Victoria II v1.1.
But since v1.2 there is no longer uncolonized land in the South American Continent.

You can see if it's colonial in two places, just select the region in the main map, and just at the left of the "Select National focus" thing it may appear a small picture of some kind of building, that means it's a colony. If you can't see the small picture then it's a state.
Also in the population screen, colonies appear in the lower part of the list regardless of their name, with the said small building pic close to its name.

Yes, you are right. If there is uncolonized land like the Easter Islands (westward of South America) and you decide to set a NF to colonize it you will get a small picture of some kind of building. This is known to me.

The confusion started as Darkrenown told us here there seems to be a totally "new" way of getting a colony - at least regarding Chile in my game. Please see my 2 pictures I posted here in the 10th post in this thread.

I ask me if Darkrenown doesn't know that since v1.2 there is no uncolonized land in South America???

Last edited:
Hmm, yeah, I see your point, this is probably a stupid question, but are you sure you were playing with 1.2? You most likely are, but then it wouldn't make much sense, it might be a bug.
Regarding the colony icon, maybe I didn't make myself clear, you don't have to colonize a region to have colonial states, the USA starts with a fair number of colonies without even colonize a single province, the building icon appears at the left of the "set National Focus", I was not refering to the NF icon -which btw I think is the same as the one you get once you successfully colonize a region.

Easter Island is uncolonised and part of one of Chile's states. Since Chile has gained a new province between your two screenshots I thought you'd colonised it.

Easter Island is uncolonised and part of one of Chile's states. Since Chile has gained a new province between your two screenshots I thought you'd colonised it.

AAAAAHHHHHH,......now it's clear to me. Luckily I mentioned the colonized Easter Island that belong to Patagonia and Patagonia is part of Chile. This is the key.
Wow, what an impact this small island has! I can free Chile as dominion instead of just a satellite, now.

At this point I would like to go back to some posts in this thread. Some users said there is a bug, because from user's viewpoint there is no difference between dominons and satellites. In 1892 I did free both Chile and Uruguay. Chile as dominion, Uruguay as satellite. In opposite of the manual, p. 80, there is indeed no military control of the dominion's units for the master in case of war. Is the manual right?

Further more I noticed the units of the satellite Uruguay go into the territory of the master and attack rebels, automatically. This is maybe helpfull, but what is to do if the rebells are wanted to form a new kind of regime? Is this WAD?