• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Those population-hurting events aren't nice... expansion will hopefully take care of your population. Does Full Citizenship help with inward immigration into your country?

I've started a Spotify play list to put all your crazy tracks. I found all the ones in the list two updates ago except the unreleased BJ one -not surprising-, the Aerosmith one -their earlier stuff is missing, probably their record company at the time hasn't signed with Spotify- and AC/DC, which to my shock is entirely missing from Spotify... not sure if this is them or their record company being silly/greedy... oh well, there is always youtube.

Enewald: To retrieve someone who hadn’t run the country into the ground? ;)

Jape: The US is having a very difficult game. It does look a little odd out West but with the CSA out of the war, maybe the US will be able to even out some of that mess.

aldriq: I haven’t concerned myself with immigration at this point. Day by day its getting harder to recruit soldiers. For me, immigration is annexation. :cool: If I were in another other part of the world I’d be fine with what I have however with China declaring war on me every so often, I can never have enough. I’m just trying to get my people to stay healthy, stay poor and join the army.

The new slogan is:

Take A Trip to Bukkhara: We’ll Enlist You!

I’m surprised, out of all those, that you were able to find Under the Gun. There must be a million songs with that title out there. As a side note to the 80's thing, I absolutely hate Iron Maiden and can only appreciate three or four Danger Danger songs - one of them is their Christmas song if you can find it ;)

Something I’ve noticed is that a lot of the older bands are hesitant about putting anything on the Internet whether it be myspace, youtube or any of that stuff. Its almost like they don’t get it that people who don't like listening to the same song over and over don't listen to the radio anymore. But a lot of them are finally coming around to the tube which is fine by me 'cause I don't do any of that social networking stuff anymore except in exceptional cases.

To all: Slight update concerning future AARs. I mentioned - and I don’t know if it was in this AAR or not - about the possibility of an American Revolution AAR in the Ageod forums before the end of December/beginning of January. Due to recent - good - news, that isn’t going to happen which means the next new B3 AAR you may see probably won’t be until late next year maybe sometime between September to November. Its still a while away and I’ll have more concrete information as mid-February approaches and a few more things are chiseled into stone.

27 January 1872 I was finally able to finish paying off my loan from my war with Panjab. One day after paying off the loan I was gaining a healthy amount of cash which would permit me to do with it as I liked. One month later I began building a new factory, hoping Regular Clothes would pan out.

ziw2l1.jpg

21 May Austria declared war upon Denmark; that same day, to hedge my bets, I also began building a glass factory. Reflecting, it always seems glass factories make money. I’m still making money, and I would’ve made more - and would’ve had more soldiers - if I would’ve known to have taxed my population into an abyss of hopelessness.

4sgw0j.jpg

Early November I raised relations with Russia again to +184. Ending out the year Spain and Nejd signed a white peace. This infectious white peace fad would continue in the Americas between the US and Mexico. Frankly I was hoping for some kind of transaction to happen over there no matter who it benefited.

At this point I was able to alter the economy again so I was able to raise Military Spending to maximum. Just in time for a militancy event. Even after all these years, I’m still not worried about rebels. At all.

2chs6k2.jpg

29 June my craftsmen were beginning to fill up my completed Glass Factory. We’ll see which one makes more money after they’ve both opened. By the New Year the Glass Factory would be making almost 2.0 a day and it was on the rise.

fxatsk.jpg

4 August the OE went to war against Egypt which was going to put a hamper on my grand Islamic Empire. We’ll adjust.

Another wrench was thrown into my plans after the French, on 4 April 1874, decided to declare war on Kutch for annexation.

Late August another consciousness event hit but it wasn’t as important as the Ottoman and French victories in October, within eight days of one another. So now I have to worry about Russia, China, France and the UK.

fxf1pj.jpg

This seemed like an opportune time to raise relations with the United Kingdom.

5of1qh.jpg

The Moroccan situation heated up when Prussia declared war upon Portugal for the territory. Let the scrambling begin.

As 1874 let out I raised relations with the UK once more to -30. This is going to take a while but it has to be done so maybe it’ll protect me from either the Chinese or the French one day. I’m still not too worried about Russia, but it is Russia.

First off - late but appreciate comment regarding both the tips - and the playlist. :cool: Yeaaaaah! Unfortunately, my ancient box is still slow as molasses. But at least it's sweet like molasses as well! Hm, insofar as my thoughts go for this installment however - it seems to me you've been very cautious, in the best sense of the word. Unfortunately, given the way international diplomacy works, I can totally see the Russian embassador dropping by with a war dec tomorrow, pretty much for the laughs. Panjab is tempting, but I wish there was a way you could politely remove France from the coast, there, first...

Looking forward to more information and updates, and glad to hear that good news came your way!

Enewald: There are really only two things keeping me from DoWing Punjab. One is their mountains. It’ll definitely be rough going through all that terrain, destroying their units and occupying it all. Second are the Chinese. Its been a few years since our last war and I’m not putting them past another DoW. I’m expecting one soon as the expiration date for the truce nears.

Communitarian!: When the AAR completes I’ll likely have a second half list to cover all the titles that weren’t covered in the previous update. The biggest reason why I’ve been holding back is because of the BB. It burns pretty slow and with long wars, such as the one I had with Punjab, it tends to burn even slower. Until I get to a position I’m going to like, I want quick, expansive wars for the most gain while preparing me for another war - without going over the BB line - sometime in the future.

As for the personal good news, I’m hoping it’ll be good. I tend to take a lot of risks and when they pay off, they really do and when they don’t, they really don’t. But we only have one life to live; what’s the point in wasting it? :cool:

The first day of 1875 and the option to join the Geneva Convention came along. I was looking more at the opportunities the organization would bring considering I’ve very recently civilized rather than the military spending. I had been playing the past few years in one sitting and the flood of units that came after my war was still relatively fresh in my mind. The reason why I didn’t give much thought to Maximum Military Spending penalty. In my opinion, no matter who you are, joining the Geneva Convention just isn’t worth it.

2ngvkeo.jpg

That same day I decided to send a bunch of troops down south. It was time to spend a few BB points.

sdpsex.jpg

14 March 1875 I was able to add a number of more troops. Sadly, I believe this would be the last I would see the opportunity to build so many units for a while. I believe this was only my third or fourth game to go beyond 20 years - and only my Belgium game went beyond the 1890's - so I was still testing out units to see what worked.

aujuko.jpg

18 April the Austrians and Danes signed a white peace; almost a month after that I declared war on Sindh. The main reason being that I really wanted a coastline and I didn’t want to spend a ridiculous 8 BB points on the OPM in the south. Notice my lead invasion force housing two Anarcho-Liberal units. Whether they’re eventually wiped or suffer a ton of casualties doesn’t matter. All they need to do is get the job done.

smww8z.jpg

After the initial outbreak of the war I discovered Mechanical Production and decided to help out my factories and troop movement a little with my next tech project: Experimental Railroad.

9 July the first battle of the war erupted in Sukkur. It was a loss but the good news is that I discovered this was their only army. With a flood of troops, they can be pushed around or destroyed.

4fv7f7.jpg

Four days after the defeat, the Farrah decided to gain a little consciousness. Again, I don’t mind this. The militancy goes down too fast for me to bother caring about it and as for the consciousness, I’m looking for a more open society anyway.

2keddt.jpg

The Northrop Power Loom discovery came on the first day in August, another one of those catch-up events for newly civilized countries. It aids a few RGOs and Fabrics which is nothing that I really have.

One day later I besieged Sukkur. For some reason, every now and then, the AI will leave its most defendable province. The allows the player to slide in there without a fight. And because I had a faster unit - 9000 cavalry - I was able to secure a defensive bonus for the next battle which concluded on 14 September.

2eyw3t1.jpg

And because of that victory, I followed them home while another 14,000 re-invaded Sukkur. The world was becoming smaller and smaller for Sindh.

2hg71hs.jpg

5 October Prussia overtook Portugal and stole away their Moroccan Province thus kicking Portugal entirely out of North Africa. Three days after that development, the battle for Karachi ended. However, on 23 November Sindh would lose its entire army as it had no province to retreat into. The rest is meant to be a siege game.

25g82v4.jpg

Their capital was occupied on 20 January 1876, Sukkur on 5 March and their last province on the 28th. The war ended with their annexation.

While waiting for those occupations to fall I again raised relations with the UK and the USA was once again at war, this time with a DoW the CSA’s way for restoration of the Union. Mexico would aid the CSA.

Back in my part of the world, now I finally had a port. And I began building my first ships...

b99b2a.jpg

You govern a beanpole, Sir! And one which is just about to sprout into the sea, it seems! :)

Just glancing for now -- I'll read the whole update in a bit.

Rensslaer

In my opinion, no matter who you are, joining the Geneva Convention just isn’t worth it.

Why not? I've never found having maximum military spending at 90% instead of 100% to make much difference on building up soldier POPs. Whenever I have it that high, too many promote to officers anyways. I'm not just saying this for majors, either, even with minors (both unciv and civ) I've found that military spending above 60% often leads to declining soldier POPs and unnecessary amounts of Officers.

Rensslaer: Your first paragraph, I don’t know if it’s a pick-up line or if you’re commenting on my game. :p

The beanpole thing wasn’t an intention, just a consequence of opportunity. I was hoping for a more ‘sunflower’ look but China has been a pain and not in a good way.

Enewald: Wrong general.

Ivir Baggins: ??? :cool:

Serek000: I’m quite a few miles from becoming a Great Power - the Top 8 - and they’re the only ones that can play the SoI game. The French coming into the region is going to complicate things. I now border them and I have to hope they’ll be as tranquil as the Russians. I’m really hoping the British and French will war soon and the UK will take the area so I’ll be back to just worrying about three countries.

For now the French don't have any troops in the area and if they want war, I'll always be able - should be able - to take that spot and defend against invasions from the sea.

winsingtonIII: If you’ve played that many games then you probably know better than I. I always figured if you wanted more troops then you’d have to raise military spending but the POPs thing is a little... strange sometimes. All I can say is that as Bukkhara it was tough getting the amount of soldiers while Persia - the only other game I played in 1.2 and I only played it for about 25 years - was easier. I say this because while playing as Persia I kept military spending high or at max and rejected the Geneva Convention. The countries are different in population and particularly because as Bukkhara I’ve had to fight a lot, costing plenty of soldiers. I could very well be wrong, and probably am, but as I said before, I’m not a technical player and I don’t dive too deeply into stats. In terms of getting the troops, it seemed much tougher as Bukkhara.

It just seems odd that if what you say is true, and I'm not doubting it, that you'd receive less soldiers if you raised your Military Spending.

I wouldn’t find much peace after the war because 17 days later the Chinese declared war. And because of the cost of the war I had to cancel construction of most of the ships I had planned. Cash can be recovered, preparation cannot.

Since many of my units were in the south the Chinese were able to besiege Tashkent easily but with my troops coming north, I was able to reinforce and begin repelling some of the more haphazard Chinese invasions.

29uatv.jpg

By the middle of July, when this next battle took place, all my units were in their spots. I had those in defensible areas and those behind the lines that could reinforce needy regions. Note I’m purposely leaving Balkh open. If they want to besiege a desert-like province - and one that has virtually zero defensive values - I’m going to let them... until they get around the 70 - 80% occupation range.

rmv6g6.jpg

1 August I won another victory, this time in Kyzylorda, the region just west of Yasi and my northernmost province. The Chinese cannot turn the corner on me unless if they overwhelm a single area which is really what they should’ve done in Balkh. But I know I’m not playing a human so I don’t have to prepare for that kind of risk/ingenuity.

e147e8.jpg

And because I couldn’t set you up with a proper shot of what was going on before the war, I decided to take one of all my movements and units just after the battle above, on 1 August. This will give you an idea of what units I have and where the Chinese are. Note that I decided to position a unit in Balkh as I was thinking about an invasion of Kulob pending on where the Chinese were heading within the next few weeks.

I also noticed I had a free CB on the Kulob region for some reason. I didn’t get a pop up or anything so I’m not sure how it developed. And it was only by chance that I looked. It’d be nice to know you had a core on something. So I decided to add it. I was +7 in the warscore at this time.

2zjesnb.jpg

2nid21i.jpg

Through August and September two small battles took place as I continued my defensive posturing until I decided to shove the Chinese out of Tashkent on 8 October. They’d been lording over that province since the start of the war.

fvjqs8.jpg

Late October the Chinese tried pushing through Qarshi, again finding a dead end. My way of fighting is simple. I’m permitting all troops in non-mountainous regions to be as mobile as they need to be while the mountains are stationary. There are exceptions such as when the enemy isn’t close, which allows me to flood even more units into needy regions. I showcase this primarily in Samarkand.

15fofoi.jpg

Six days after the battle in Samarkand, the Chinese again invaded Tashkent. Tashkent is intentionally left open because it has minimal defensive value but also because it houses a fort which can pin the Chinese in that one spot until I feel comfortable enough to shove them out. They have very little hope of actually taking it. I believe its only bonus is a river crossing.

Nine days into December I decided to enact my first initiative and invade and siege Yasi. But I’d have to give it up 17 days into 1877. Those Chinese get a little angry when you decide to invade one of “their” provinces.

During this time I discovered my Railroad tech and began research on Bronze Muzzle Loaded Artillery. I’m going to need some army aid here in the future since it is my hope to become a main Asian land power, although that would be my tag by default. I don’t intend to have a world class navy either. Technological research in the area is going to be kept at a minimum but many ships are going to be built in order to defend against the countries more adept at sea.

Jumping back into the war, a large battle had been waging for a while, only coming to a conclusion on 17 March. The warscore was nice, as were the 55,000 dead Chinese, but I had about 24,000 dead Bukkharan troops. This battle is going to affect me more than them.

2qmjmo0.jpg

Three days later, on the other side of the world, Mexico and the USA signed a white peace, leaving the USA and CSA to battle it out amongst themselves.

13 April I mopped up a few of the fleeing Chinese units from the battle shown above. Its time to chase, kill and demolish wherever I can.

14vpwsk.jpg

Another small victory followed on 5 May and for the first time, Indian Pan-Nationalists broke out in my country. It was just one unit and I believe it was shoved over from one of my friendly neighbors.

240zuk2.jpg

Since I couldn’t spare any troops to send south and I was reeling from losing those tens of thousands of troops I had to call up China. They didn’t want to cede that state to me so we both settled on a white peace. I’d hope for a long rest and an easy victory in the south.

I discovered something interesting after my war with China. Russia had found an opportune moment to colonize the surrounding regions. I’m not sure when they began this project because I’d been pretty well occupied since my DoW on Sindh. So I decided to raise relations with Russia and it was about time, as it was filling, to expand my glass factory.

s3dd90.jpg

Wow! What an update!

Do you realize you may be singlehandedly keeping the Chinese in their place? The amount of troops they spend on you... Wow.

Very nicely played/fought! You're strong enough now you can push back and gain warscore against them. That's great.

Nice that you made it to the sea, too, but too bad about the ships.

Glass factories (in my experience) get good profits because (in my experience) wine and liquor factories generally get good profits, increasing their utility and increasing demand. I typically have a large number of large glass/liquor/wine factories in any game I play.

Rensslaer

Thought un: I couldn't agree more with your philosophy. Sometimes, the risk itself is the reward, in my mind. Still, pulling for ya.

Thought deux: Geeze, this is the clash of the titans. I'd second a hazy guess that you're singlehandedly - or close to - keeping China occupied. It might not be a thankful task, but on the other hand? It's impressive as heck to watch. Tough luck on Yasi. S'a good province, maybe you can take it later, in the wars to come?

That was another amazing meat grinder with China :eek: I hope you can eventually catch them off-guard when they are at war with Russia or the UK.

If you’ve played that many games then you probably know better than I. I always figured if you wanted more troops then you’d have to raise military spending but the POPs thing is a little... strange sometimes. All I can say is that as Bukkhara it was tough getting the amount of soldiers while Persia - the only other game I played in 1.2 and I only played it for about 25 years - was easier. I say this because while playing as Persia I kept military spending high or at max and rejected the Geneva Convention. The countries are different in population and particularly because as Bukkhara I’ve had to fight a lot, costing plenty of soldiers.

I think Bukhara is an extreme example because your continuous fighting with China. In my game with Ethiopia I only run the military at 100% in the run-up for westernisation, and those 8 years were enough to give me more soldier population than I've needed. The more I play V2 the more I think the balance position of all the sliders is meant to be 50%, push right for the extra boost when you need it, push left when you don't and need the spare cash instead.

I’m surprised, out of all those, that you were able to find Under the Gun. There must be a million songs with that title out there. As a side note to the 80's thing, I absolutely hate Iron Maiden and can only appreciate three or four Danger Danger songs - one of them is their Christmas song if you can find it ;)

You can search by artist too. Spotify is actually quite good to find obscure songs, presumably because record companies are happy to negotiate away stuff that isn't making much money on the traditional channels...

sptfy1.jpg

Enewald: I’m not sure how bad WE is at this point but I never check it because like militancy among POPs, it doesn’t seem to matter. At least not yet, hopefully it’ll have some kind of noticeable impact in the upcoming patch.

Serek000: They’re just being belligerent. I’m not sure why they want to go west when it’d be much easier to go south, and possibly, north against the Russians. When they DoW me, they know they’re going to be smashing their heads against the mountains.

Rennslaer: I’ll be sure to pick up my medal later.

The Chinese DoW’s are keeping us both in check. Even though I come out with white peace deals, I’m getting slammed with casualties. This spurs me on to make other declarations of war either on the coast or in populated areas just so I can recover my losses. The five year span when I’m unable to expand after a war with the Chinese is going to make fending off the east incredibly difficult.

As for the ships, well, at least I have an outlet for possible colonial expansion.

Communitarian!: The only reason I’ve tried taking Yasi was because if I had it, I’d have an extra unit to shove around. Rather than guarding two provinces - one mountain, the other hills - I’d be able to shove one unit into Yasi and free up that extra unit. I believe its only a desert province but the Chinese haven’t expressed much interest in the north for some reason.

aldriq: The alliance with the UK still stands, my only hope is that Russia grows some brains and declares war on China... soon.

And I had to look up Spotify. Seems as though it’s a thing used in only parts of Europe. Good luck on finding the newer chapters. ;) We’ll see how well you do at the end.

To all: Some concrete news on the B3 availability front. I’ll actually be around until late February sometime but after that my return is anyone’s guess. I won’t start a new AAR in that time and I’ll probably drag my feet with DB/The Link now that I know for sure I have this extra time.

Early August 1877 another nation finally began showing some interest in me. France began investing influence. Early in the game I was counting on Russia to throw a ton of influence my way to keep China away but they didn’t do that. Hopefully, in time, France will assume that role. Right now the influence bar is going up .1 - .2 a day. Who knows, I may end up being an influence battle ground - I hope not - between France and Russia.

iztkpl.jpg

A month later I received another tech discovery and was able to finally eliminate those Indians. Late September I decided to begin building railroads when the cash allowed. I was saving up to do this before, but the war with China put the plan on the backburner.

21 October a few officers gained 1.0 militancy - big deal - but on the first of December I ended up with another tech discovery in my lap: Pitts Threshing Machine. I’m still a little ways away from actually catching up to the other civilized countries.

On the European front, the first day of 1878, Italy formed. This was the first time I’ve seen it happen so I had to take a shot.

15i9tnb.jpg

Twelve days into the year, France declared war. It doesn’t make sense. They were putting influence into my country just six months before yet now they declare war? Another reason why they call it the AI.

My plan for this war is pretty simple: Occupy their single province and sit on it. Give the two coastal provinces a unit and have two more units behind those ready to jump in to reinforce a battle.

2hft8no.jpg

6 April

dr71h.jpg

Meanwhile the rich gained 2 militancy which wouldn’t concern me because the rich aren’t exactly the top tier in my country. The capitalists don’t build and I receive the bulk of my cash from the poor. The rich may think they’re first but they’re not in this case.

205fio7.jpg

6 July Italy became a Great Power; nine days later I occupied the single French province. Eight days after that, I discovered Bronze Muzzle Loaded Artillery and began research on Mechanized Mining. I’m still checking out what techs, taxes, etc. does because I haven’t played the game enough. It just runs too slow in these later years.

Through the rest of the year there was no action with the French - which irritates me because I can’t raise the warscore and sue for peace which means BB goes down much slower and that leads to my lack of ability to conquer neighboring states for the population I’m losing in wars vs. China - but the CSA/USA war ended in a white peace and I raised relations with the UK so it stands at a steady 0.

28 January 1879 relations with the UK shot up another 15. Six months later, while still waiting for the war to end, I decided to construct a few railroads.

o0c5yt.jpg

A month later the OE broke its alliance with Persia which was excellent news except I was still at war with France. In October the OE declared war upon Egypt; by November I finally got my white peace offer.

2i7600g.jpg

Through the rest of the year I raised relations with the UK to +30 and France began sending influence my way again. I can't trust them.

2i7a3o9.jpg