• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I belive your cavalery will give you a small edge in that last battle, and they cant roll 9´s all the time.
You should win this battle i say =)

Nice Update, thank you :)

aldriq: I’ve learned the AI is not afraid to roll 9's two or three times in a row. Not to say that happens in this case but I’ve seen it enough for it to be remembered.

badger_ken: Ah, but the war isn’t over yet.

Enewald: Allah is busy in Yasi. A very good general I needed to use in order to properly defend Yasi should attacks come. However, this battle is all up to Murad.

Prussian Saint: Notice I didn’t say every unciv was easy to play. ;) I’d be tempted to take the challenge and try something but this is my last gameplay for the year and business usually picks up early in the new year months for me so another gameplay will probably have to wait until after an expansion or another patch or two. But now that Colonial Wars have been exempted from Victoria II, uncivs are easier to play and civilize than they were in Victoria I.

Alexspeed: China likes 9s.

To all: Chapter links should show up in the first post within the next hour or two. I’ve come up with a way to Brandenburgize them. All the chapter titles are going to come from 80's Arena Rock songs. And if you can guess the artist, you can consider yourself blessed that you know what good music is. :cool:

As the battle continued, the Chinese ended up losing the 9 but the roll of the dice didn’t do me any favors. While I did have another 12,000 on the way, the Chinese had another 10,000. It wasn’t looking good even if I did have the advantage of the mountains.

2wmh0dl.jpg

In the same month, 28 February, Yasi again came under attack but the magnificent Allah put up a stern resistance. I want to immortalize this guy.

33w60wn.jpg

While my armies busied themselves in their battles, the Chinese besieged Khorug with around 13,000 men. A win in Bishkek followed two days later and while it’s a good win, it could’ve been much better if early dice rolls had gone my way. Eight days later, on the 18th, the battle in Yasi was won but I had to immediately retreat due to the small amount of troops left. Another part of this was because the Chinese had also set siege to Kokand.

2pt2dqd.jpg

Another battle broke in Bishkek on the 28th and while I’m still getting bad rolls, that pain is being alleviated by my mountain defense and their lack of generals.

2mnlyjt.jpg

Four days into April my small army that was in Yasi confronted a few Chinese armies that managed to flee in the wrong direction. Their loss is my gain.

nywpb4.jpg

Both of the above battles ended on 16 April.

2vslrub.jpg

On the 24th I thought I’d be able to shove the Chinese out of Kokand. I eventually won that battle. Around the same time around 13,000 Chinese landed in Tashkent via Yasi. My defense is beginning to break down.

2aeus75.jpg

My advances continued as I pressed into Naryn to keep the province from being occupied. At the time of this battle it was at 93% and with only 2k Chinese in the province, I couldn’t let them just take it. But new Chinese troops would arrive on 1 June and I’d be forced to retreat.

123y809.jpg

June continued to be a bad month for me when the Chinese besieged Kyzylorda - the other province they could reach through Yasi - and occupied Naryn. But the Chinese weren’t through advancing despite major losses in Bishkek, for another battle broke in that territory.

23wmir6.jpg

But the end of this battle wouldn’t be seen. After their occupation of Khorug, I decided I’d had enough. There’s no use to keep fighting a losing war nor to lose troops I can’t replace. At this point I didn’t realize just how irreplaceable my units would be. 1.1 had practically given away troops yet in 1.2 every lost unit is incredibly devastating... unless you’re the UK. I gave into China’s demands even though at one time I had a +17 war score. When I gave in I was still in the positives but had lost all defensive advantage.

2q8rrxh.jpg

At the end of the war I ended up having +33 prestige and held on to a 29 military score. Both of these went up through the war which brings me closer to civilizing however, raising new units is going to be tough. I still have my eye on an eventual Afghanistan invasion. Afghanistan is a hotbed for soldiers, this I learned during my brief 1.2 Panjab campaign. If I can annex Afghanistan at some point, I’d be set.

ouch! I take it that China would never go for a White Peace? Seems like you did about the best anyone could.

Could I ask maybe that next time there be a few less battle result grabs, and maybe a map or two? I'm not quite up on where "Kyzylorda" and "Yasi" are :)

Well done in keeping the Chinese from rampaging through and destroying you. Hopefully Russia and the UK will see that performance and take heed. As for manpower - is there a way you could get Russia and Persia in a war against each other? That'd provide massive amounts of manpower if you can pick up some of their populous provinces and would get two of your future rivals embroiled in a messy war.

Last edited:
You've done a good job in a hard battle. It's very hard to stop the Middle Kingdom when you're uncivved. Bukkhara will remember the loss, and repay it ten-fold, I am sure! Maybe it's time to prioritize a intervention in Afghanistan?

badger_ken: I tried getting them to sign peace but they just wouldn’t go for it. As for the maps, they were located in the previous update. But the Kyz province wasn’t included at all because I figured once the Chinese reached that province, the war would be over, which it was.

aldriq: The manpower issue I was comparing was 1.1 Victoria against 1.2 Victoria. Racking up soldiers in 1.1 is so much easier than in 1.2. As for the rest of my neighbors, they’re allying with one another. I couldn’t even take on Afghanistan on alone at this point. I’m going to have to wait for an opportunity.

Serek000: It would be fun if Paradox permitted spy options in Victoria II. They seem strangely missing. I guess they were used extensively in history between 1399 - 1819 and then were suddenly forgotten. ;) But there’s nothing I can do to try and get Russia and Persia into a war outside of risking my own neck to invade Persia and destroy their armies. There’s too much risk in that.

Communitarian!: That ones going to take a while. For now I’m going to go after any country where I can take a province and bring more people into my country so I can build a bigger army.

To all about 1.2 and the future of this AAR:

I was originally going to put some of the words below in a post in the Victoria 2 general forum but there are already posts there talking about a few of these things.

I’ve decided I’m going back to 1.1

I’ve played 1.1 and while there are many annoying things, those things were fixable through mods with the exception of the way the AI handled rebels and the three or four times Prussia and Austria declared war on one another. At least with 1.1 I was able to play any country and take it to the end of the game even if I had to modify the speed in my settings now and again. 1.1 had plenty of flaws but it was still a good game and I was actually able to play it.

Here’s the thing. I don’t mind the strength of the UK, assimilation or any of that stuff. Its all been improved since 1.1 in my view. The thing that bothers me is the speed. I just want to play the game. And with 1.2 I can’t do that. Even wiping off every single UK unit off the map doesn’t work. The speed barely improves meaning the game has gone from playable in 1.1 to unplayable by 1890 in 1.2 And before someone tells me to go in and screw with the assimilation files to speed things up, well, in my view that should not be a prerequisite in order to play the game.

I have messed with the speed settings, which worked great in 1.1 but increasing the speed in 1.2 is unnoticeable. At around 1890 I put the speed up to 10, 15, 20 and finally 25 without a change - it’s default is 1. Let me tell you, a change was definitely noticed in 1.1 If you haven’t yet downloaded the 1.2 patch, I would strongly recommend against it until they fix the speed issue, unless you like playing games halfway through.

The AAR isn’t even going to touch 1900. Again, there are improvements all over 1.2 but if I can’t play it, just as many others can’t, then its pointless. I just hope Paradox doesn’t wait to apply these fixes in an expansion as they had with Napoleon’s Ambition because they won’t get a penny from me just as they hadn’t when they released NA.

So I’m off to look for the rebel fix of 1.1

With all this said, the AAR will continue until I reach the unplayable level, much like my Siam game in Victoria I where VIP 4.0 kept crashing. And yeah, when I get to the date where I had to end it, I will call this AAR complete as its about as far as the game will permit me to go.

As a last note, I’m glad I didn’t attempt a Maintain the Monarchy AAR because I would’ve hated to give it up in the 1890's.

Next update in the AAR will be in a day or two and a reminder that I will take you up until the game became unplayable. We still have a while to go and there's plenty of positive things for me to detail. I just had to get this update out there.

To all about 1.2 and the future of this AAR:
I’ve decided I’m going back to 1.1
...The thing that bothers me is the speed. I just want to play the game. And with 1.2 I can’t do that. Even wiping off every single UK unit off the map doesn’t work. The speed barely improves meaning the game has gone from playable in 1.1 to unplayable by 1890 in 1.2 ....

wow, sorry to hear that! I wonder what the deal is, as in my 1.2 game I'm up to 1932, with an uber-powerful UK, and speed is still good. I wonder if it's a memory issue - how much memory does your PC have?

wow, sorry to hear that! I wonder what the deal is, as in my 1.2 game I'm up to 1932, with an uber-powerful UK, and speed is still good. I wonder if it's a memory issue - how much memory does your PC have?

I really don’t know what the issue is with 1.2 because I can play 1.1 without too much lag at all and I only increase it to 10 or 15 because I like to play fast. All I know is I’m not the only one who has this issue. Basically this post sums up how I feel about the whole thing.

I’m not even going to bother trying to diagnose what the problem is. 1.1 works perfectly fine so I’m just going to run with that until 1.3 comes out. Hopefully it’ll be better. My computer is a little older but it can still handle Vik II and newly released games.

Thank you for the last Update.
To know when to fight and when you have to stop and count in the losses is something thats not easily done by everyone.
Hope you will get revenge at some point on the chinese :)

So will you play this AAR on with 1.1?
Do your savegames work from 1.2 or have i misunderstood you with that?

Enewald: Oh, its been there quite a while. I wasn’t expecting the cuts in military opportunity. Or maybe playing as Punjab prior to this game and begin able to destroy Afghanistan helped hide the problems I’d run into when playing as Bukkhara.

Alexspeed: I tried looking for the 1.1 patch but to no avail. I wouldn’t expect it to be reverse compatible though since there were claims that savegames couldn’t be transferred from 1.1 to 1.2 but I wanted to at least try. In the end I decided to give up the search and ditch the save games. I’m hoping 1.3 comes out soon to fix the speed, or at least Paradox gives us the 1.1 patch. If anywhere, one would think it’d at least be here or in the tech section of the forum.

30wo02d.jpg

To all: In light of my Belgium AAR, I’ve decided to use more common 1980's Rock hits for my chapter titles from now on ;) This is also so you can youtube them if you don’t recognize them. Brandenburg will not lead you wrong but I’m a little busy right now so why don’t you go ahead and follow those lemmings?

Honestly I’m surprised by how long this delay has been. I attribute it to the sudden stoppage of play but this AAR will continue and should pick up again at a steady pace.

After the war I took a shot, showing my new setup. I’m not terribly concerned with Russia and even if I were, there’d be nothing I could do against them. The two provinces they border are no more than hills and against my depleted forces, Russia should swallow me whole if they get the notion.

zjcb5g.jpg

Still wanting to rev up my prestige rank, I began a march toward Makran just after the first days of October. I could probably get my prestige up by other wars but this is easy prestige and I’m steaming from the war with China. After a few months, I was standing outside of Makran’s door, declaring war on 15 December. I don’t want anything more than to humiliate them.

With only a small unit nearing Makran, my nearly full army destroyed their army on 12 January. This quick battle allowed me to again reduce my national stockpile spending and save a little money, although I’m nearly +5000. I’m going to need this cash later on for a few things: More soldiers, to jumpstart factories and... that’s about it because I have no plans to become a naval power. Naval techs are going to be the very last thing I research. If someone wants to come after me, they’re going to have to confront me in the mountains. The day after the battle, you can see my new economy.

10fs40w.jpg

I still haven’t touched the tutorials or haven’t read many AARs, so I’m just guessing at what I’m doing. I think I’m doing alright though because I haven’t been annexed yet.

Thinking I was in a safe position I picked up a book only to have Persia cancel our military access agreement on 2 February. Immediately my mind reeled. Would I have to declare war on Afghanistan and Kalat just go get my units back home? Manpower is a resource I need and I don’t want to just disband them if I can help it, plus, I’ve been thinking about going to war against Afghanistan anyway.

But my plans wouldn’t have to be enacted for on 15 April Persia reinstated my military access. I wish the AI weren’t so fickle. The same thing goes for the alliances it makes. Routinely I see them enter in and leave alliances year in and year out with the same powers. This is fine but there’s no reason for these powers to do those things.

Little more than a week later, on 23 April, Makran accepted my peace and before Persia canceled MA again, I hurried home.

qqqq7n.jpg

Prestige stands at +37 Military +30

In other parts of the world, the United States made expansion an art against Mexico. I’m liking the fact that the US, Britain and Mexico are not buddies in version 1.2. It makes the history here more realistic. Through everything Victoria II offers, I’m not asking for a game that imitates history, rather I want one that will allow me to play probable histories.

fvbwhk.jpg

One day after that peace, 25 April, the Manhattan Commune formed. Nice! You’ll have to ask Alexspeed if this is a part of the mod or if its something Paradox put in there. I thought it was cool, especially since the place is so tiny. Strange thing was, the US wasn’t even having big rebel problems. Most of their troops must’ve been in the west. And Manhattan only has one province.

s4qfwk.jpg

The Year of Wars and Peace continued with the Austrian Russian War ending in a white peace and France taking Wallonie from Russia.

Through these years I was building up a nice income and couldn’t do much with it. I couldn’t build railroads, factories or soldiers so I thought about things that could help me in the long run. Forts. Forts would definitely help me against a China who didn’t mind throwing tons of men into my mountainous regions, and the longer I could keep them in those regions, the better for my future. So I began construction on two; one in Tashkent and the other in Kyzylorda.

I constructed the one in Kyzylorda for a possible trap and the other was built in the friendly Tashkent because that seemed to be China's first target. I imagine it will remain that way.

rsal55.jpg

To help pay for these new improvements I altered my economy slightly. The rich still don’t matter so much in my country and the few soldiers I’m getting per month isn’t enough to satisfy the cost, at least not in comparison when going up against something that can be beneficial to Bukkhara’s future. By 25 January 1856 I was able to reraise my military spending to full and on 1 February, able to return rich taxes to 32%. I always go back to 32% because its embedded in my head from the Victoria I days.

esvozc.jpg

Thank you for your chapter 5, you have now enough for the contest finally!
But please keep updating neverthless!

The "Manhattan Commune" is in the base game, i have had nothing to do with them,
my mods only alter graphics (and i belive i didnt even changed their country colour) :)

Enewald: That’s funny. I haven’t even looked at the V2 avatars.

aldriq: Well, they are sheltered from the rest of the nation anyway...

Alexspeed: What a great time to change it to Bukkhara Violet? ;) It would certainly make it stand out should it ever revolt, even moreso when the CSA comes around. Countries in N. America are so dark... unless that would conflict with other colors of possible released nations.

1856 began with a few declarations of war although all were far away from my region: Egypt v. Ethiopia; Prussia v. Austria. Then towards the middle of March, whether it be by event, relations or something else because it wasn’t through war, Greece annexed the Ionian Islands.

Prussia* v. Austria*, Tuscany, Parma, Lucca and Krakow.

Then, on 12 April I was hit with a pair of events on the same day. The USA, so far in my play, has always been on the other end of that second event.

2it53bo.jpg

5 June I discovered the Rights of Man, following it up immediately with Military Staff System. The cavalry will be nice when I’m able to build it, so far I’ve been running off of start-game cavalry. As far as things go with Westernization, I only need 1 prestige and 28 military points.

121bxg7.jpg

Around August I noticed China was beginning to look unfriendly again but I was able to raise an additional unit of Infantry. I was also wondering just how important Yasi would be and if it would be worth eating up some soldiers in attrition in order to capture the desert province. We’ll only be able to tell when war comes.

2vaiijn.jpg

One month later another research bonus event hit me which I gladly accepted; not long after that the OE dove into Egypt. That’s going to be a messy place. And in October, I raised relations with Russia. The last thing I need is a Russian DoW and since there isn’t a whole lot I can spend my diplomacy on, I might as well increase relations with someone while BB dies down... and my troops are replaced.

2vtza4i.jpg

A few months after the OE declaration against Egypt, Egypt forced Ethiopia to make a small land concession. I was surprised. I thought Ethiopia would hold out but it wasn’t meant to be.

Silence ruled the world for the following months until February 1857 when the US intervened on the side of Egypt. Why the US always has such a huge interest in Africa, I’ll never know. While flipping through the pages of my book I finally decided to knock my National Stockpiles down to 1/4 its funding since China still has another two years before they can DoW me and I’m going to have to burn off some BB for other advancements. This also permitted me more fort construction... this was just in case the Russians decided to attack. And more forts anywhere can’t hurt if you’re a struggling uncivilized nation.

2j0yxbp.jpg

26 July even Portugal showed its boredom and they went to war with Prussia. That’s another nice one.

ercu90.jpg

10 November Persia rejected my alliance which I was hoping to snag for aid in a war in Afghanistan. For now, that avenue is up in the air because I can’t take Afghanistan and their allies on all by myself. But I was able to construct another infantry unit. Hopefully that’ll stave off the upstarts.

Alexspeed: What a great time to change it to Bukkhara Violet? ;) It would certainly make it stand out should it ever revolt, even moreso when the CSA comes around. Countries in N. America are so dark... unless that would conflict with other colors of possible released nations.

Well i shall consider that suggestion, there isnt anything Violet in North America jet, as far as i remember. :)

Thank you for another chapter! Well done :)
A "Portugese Conquest of Ostpreußen" .... I havent seen that before, almost as strange as Russia grabbing provinces in England :D
This chapter feels like the calm before a storm... somehow.