• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Have you thought about allying with any of China's eastern or southern neighbors, just for added deterrence?

Thats not such a bad idea i guess. :)

Alexspeed: I was surprised by the Portuguese DoW as well, but even with Prussia’s troubles with Austria, I sincerely doubt Portugal will win.

loki100: Thanks

aldriq: I think its going to be a Prussia/Austria thing between myself and China.

Enewald: They’re very sneaky

2nvtdmf.jpg

Serek000 & Alexspeed: There’s always that possibility, but if I chose to go that route, I’d also risk war with the UK. Not only would I have trouble rebuilding a military battered by the UK - if they managed to get MA through my neighbors - if I declined to aid my allies in a war, I’d have trouble re-establishing my prestige.

The following few years were fairly quiet. I began construction on new soldiers (5 infantry) after restructuring my economy again and sat through 1858 while Portugal/Prussia signed a white peace; OE/US signed a white peace; Austria/Prussia signed a white peace. Those treaties all came between 13 October and 18 December.

11ujix5.jpg

2 March 1859 you can see my economy after the initial costs of the infantry units subsided.

25qrvaw.jpg

18 March the Netherlands chanced a war with Prussia by declaring war upon Hannover and another weak event hit me. I didn’t really know this then, but I know it now... in 1.2, militancy and consciousness are incredibly weak. Both are always going down on me so these events really don’t mean a whole lot. Maybe they mean a whole lot beyond 1890 but for now this is mostly meaningless.

t7h2t2.jpg

With three months left until my treaty with China would expire, I again reorganized my economy so I’d be ready should a DoW come from that direction. For the moment Military Spending would take a rare dip in expenditures but I have plenty of troops signing up right now that a brief respite in funding isn’t going to kill me, however, under-funding my active troops just might. Around September, I’d raise my Military Spending up to 70%.

r2rlg4.jpg

Ending out the year France went to war with Algeria which was surprising as in 1.1 France often permitted Algeria a peaceful existence after the initial game-start invasion.

8 March 1860 I discovered Military Staff Systems. This means cavalry whenever I can build them. I followed that up with The Command Principal but I forgot to take a pic. Have no worries for pain was alleviated when Persia finally accepted my alliance offer on 26 March. This means I won’t have to worry about China as much should I decided to go a-warring.

2z89lk4.jpg

25 April the US declared war upon Mexico; I shared some of those intentions as I began moving troops into place along my southern border in May.

16 July Spain declared war on Hedjaz and two weeks later, I declared war on Afghanistan over the Farrah region. Bukkhara* v. Afghanistan* & Sindh.

2cwnyus.jpg

Thank you for that update, short but tasty :D

Good luck for your war against Afghanistan.
I am sure Persia would bail out if China or the UK attacks.
Dont rely on them, but i guess you dont so that anyway,
its just another protective layer.

Oh and portugal - prussia -> white peace... how suprising :)

Alexspeed: I’m definitely not relying on Persia but that alliance is about as good of a guarantee I’m going to get from anyone. My lack of belief in Persia belies the fact that I hadn’t called on them for this war, where they’d be incredibly useful.

The UK shouldn’t attack. We don’t yet share a border but they do like Indian expansion.

Enewald: Maybe one of these times they’ll civilize themselves.

aldriq: No, I don’t think the Persians will come to aid if I call them; they’re more as a pre-war deterrent as weak as that is.

Serek000: Considering how rough these wars against China are, I’m willing to take my chances. And while I wouldn’t mind joining a war against the OE on Persia’s side, I’ve never seen the AI go to war against Persia.

Two weeks after my declaration, Persia canceled MA. Of course this caused concern because I don’t trust Persia at all, but this opens up the possibility that Persia may break the alliance, leaving me even more vulnerable against China. I’m still not worried about Russia.

Two days later, on 17 August, I laid my first siege in Bamyan and the CSA broke away from the USA. Remember, the US is still at war with Mexico.

2i8ztli.jpg

A week later I was hit with another aristocrat angered event just before a set of sieges were placed in Kabul, Farrah and Herat.

1738er.jpg

On the other side of the world Prussia/Netherlands agreed to a white peace which was surprising. I assume the Prussians didn’t want any Dutch provinces. Five weeks after that I lost a battle in Kabul after Afghanistan, over some time, poured all their troops into the province. They’d siege Balkh on 24 November which was fine with me. Let attrition kill them. This paves the way for an unhindered advance through the rest of Afghanistan if they choose to remain in my territory.

jg5don.jpg

1 January 1861 Afghanistan had made other plans for Balkh, stationing a small force in the area. And I captured Farrah on the last day of December, freeing up some units so they could begin reinforcing. I’m not too worried about Afghanistan’s 41k there because I could flood Bamyan or Kandahar at will and deliver them a devastating blow.

9uc7j6.jpg

11 February I’d predictably lose Balkh to the Afghans but it was a small price to pay while on the other end of the flank, I’d toss Afghanistan from settling in Kandahar.

21jpw81.jpg

Prestige reached another bump after receiving this common event. Someone in Sweden likes CCR...

34hggmc.jpg

Early March I altered my economy slightly. I wouldn’t find out till much later that to get soldiers, you’d have to make your poor POPs even poorer. Apparently only poor people with no alternative join the military. Who knew? So you’re probably not going to see those adjustments until much later.

Since this was only my second or third game to go beyond 20 years, this was still a learning experience. I should’ve just jacked up the taxes on my middle class, made them poor, then cranked up the taxes on the poor to get some extra soldiers that way. The rich are still expendable in Bukkhara. I don’t care if they revolt, riot or whatever, they’re just not large enough nor important enough. I’ll reduce their taxes in peace time so they’re not all gone, because that 8.9 income does help, but other than taxes, that strata is worthless until I civilize.

166jbrn.jpg

10 March the USA annexed Hawaii, which during the Civil War is an excellent time for the US to annex stuff; two days later I set sieges in Ghazni and Faizabad. A battle erupted in Ghazni a day later.

vxhenm.jpg

1 April I altered the economy again. I decided to hike taxes instead of punishing my military spending. If the people want to revolt, I’ll deal with that when it happens but with 1.2, I’ve found I don’t have to worry about rebels... at all.

1z1bfoo.jpg

Exactly one week later I took Herat. This opens up my war and gives me an opportunity to cut off Afghanistan from recovering their provinces. To my surprise, this war is more about maneuverability than actual battles. I thought it was going to leave us both in a bad way, and while it will, it could’ve been worse up to this point.

eti642.jpg

The war remained quiet and came to a conclusion after I occupied Ghazni and demanded peace, taking what I set out to take. Now I just have to rest... that same day the UK DoW’d Tibet.

a07vi9.jpg

Over the next few months I was able to begin construction on my first self-made cavalry unit, Bolivia fell to Reactionaries and I thought, for the AAR, I’d take a shot of the USA’s war against Mexico and the CSA as it stood on 1 September 1861.

mu105.jpg

Thank you for your Chapter 8!

Well done in that war, very exciting! :)
With the Afghanistan pops you will now have a little easier time in raising armies right?

The Contest has reached its end now, and is closed for further chapters!

Anything posted after this posting will not be taken in account from any judge.
You are also free to continue your AAR in any style and form that you prefer,
and arnt bound by any contest rules any more.

Thank you very much for your participation!

The final Overview Posting is here!

The judging is in progress, watch the contest thread
for the announcment of the scores as soon as i get them. :)

Enewald: I’m not a big fan of water but we’ll see...

Serek000: I can’t recall off the top of my head what our military scores were at the time but I was outmatched. Couple that with Persia’s size and the attrition I would suffer and I just wouldn’t be able to win. If I want Persia I’d have to wait for an opportune moment or until after I civilize.

aldriq: If I haven’t reported it, it hasn’t happened. Not really sure what it is with MA. Alliances seem shaky too. At best I’m able to get a “Very Unlikely” beyond the first year of gameplay. Reminds me a lot of Victoria I in that sense.

But I agree with you about the US, I do like to see the US doing something other than sitting there for 100 years.

Alexspeed: Should be. I’m still learning about armies and how to raise the POPs right. Reading the manual probably would’ve helped but if I do that, then there’s no possibility for a car wreck.

8 September I set the economy back on tract. With China so close, this is exactly how I want it to read. I’d prefer more soldiers but at this point, again, I didn’t realize you had to tax your poor into Oliver Twist to get them.

zx6wc2.jpg

After this I began building another cavalry unit in October and was hit with another Aristocratic Anger event. I don’t know what they’re so upset about.

27 January 1862 I was able to begin work on 3 more cavalry units. The military was exploding after my occupation of parts of Afghanistan. But I knew it wouldn’t last forever because these new POPs would also gain cash and also wouldn’t want to be soldiers.

7 March the UK annexed Tibet; later in the month UK and China allied. What fun.

On the other side of the world, the US, having problems with the CSA, signed a white peace with Mexico in April. Within five days of that treaty, the CSA and Mexico aligned with one another. And I continued raising relations with Russia. I’m hoping they’ll be a non-factor in my future for a while. At least until I deal with China... if I can.

29ghnjo.jpg

19 September 1862, China declared war again.

24v408p.jpg

8 October was the first battle. The rolls continued to not go my way.

nbrjub.jpg

Eleven days later the Chinese kept pouring over the line.

10yl3ie.jpg

They’d both eventually be won but the Chinese don’t really need to win their battles due to the amount of people they have.

By 15 November all my units were in place and were covering every bottleneck mountain province I could. This resulted in another Chinese loss but I started wondering at what cost would this be to my military, BB and economy? My economy stood at 979.9 and was losing 23.7 a day; my military was finally rebounding and all the Chinese wanted was a province with 75,000 people with weak resources. Rather than sticking it out for a year, throwing myself into debt, likely losing a few regiments forever and taking more years to replace those regiments, I decided to give the Chinese what they wanted on 16 November.

2qwexhx.jpg

Right now units are the most important thing to me. Land means nothing, and 75k of foreigners just aren’t going to provide me with what I need. Let the Chinese come while I work on my BB and attempt to open the world to the south or west.

In 1863 I discovered the Command Principal and began work on the Stock Exchange. This was followed up by my construction of 2 more cavalry units, Spain annexing Hedjez and this...

nzlvux.jpg

And the US would sign a white peace with the CSA. This is a bad alternate reality for the United States.

2meqvcg.jpg

1864 was filled with nothing but a litter of events. The OE DoW’d Egypt, I received a few research enhancement events geared toward uncivs and I tried pushing for a more open society. I love elections in these games.

ngej5l.jpg

Last edited:
UK and China allied. What fun.

Indeed... In all the games i played they where enemies, you must have bad luck here :(

Also sorry to read you lost that province to china, i guess its the smaller price you payed tough.

Good luck!

Serek000: The UK have covered most of India within its sphere but Kalat and Makran are both free. They’re not major soldier areas but they could be easily expanded into.

Enewald: No, but they could hamper me enough to cripple me for their next war. Right now I’m heading into a nice run of available troops and that’s going to benefit me more than fighting for a state containing only 75,000 people.

Alexspeed: I’m banking that the Chinese will be satiated for a while. If not, I’ll at least have more troops in the future than I now have.

aldriq: As they say, “Go west young man, haven’t you been told? California’s full of whiskey, women and gold.” By west you did mean California, didn’t you?

Actually, with enough troops I could push into Persia but I don’t want to waste anything yet. I’m in a scary spot right now.

The new year of 1865 began with both Spain and the United States intervening on Egypt’s behalf in their war with the Ottoman Empire. But the US had just finished losing the Civil War. Its something I don’t have to worry too much about though, so I won’t.

Early in February I finally tipped my relations with Russia over +100. This means that Russia won’t DoW me before they decrease relations. If they have designs on me, I’d have a month to get into position but things have been going well between us so far and I don’t fear them at all.

n62poh.jpg

The rest of the year was fairly quiet with me. I was hit with another Western Approaches event and had to deal with a few Europeans Harassed events. Obviously, now that I know how fast militancy drops in 1.2, I would’ve chosen the other option.

y1l36.jpg

3 October the Netherlands banged their heads against Prussia again when they declared war on Hannover. Alliances aren’t often dishonored when not involving the player, the AI should know this.

Again, my world went quiet until 1 June 1866 when Spain and the Ottoman Empire signed a white peace. A month later, on 2 July, I was able to Westernize. Westernizing propelled me to rank #16. You have to manipulate your generals so you can spam them when you reach 60 leadership points, so you can tip yourself up to 50 military points. Generals have a habit of dying when you need them. Except during war.

zbih3.jpg

And events like these come far too often, in my view. While waiting, I wouldn’t be surprised if you gained at least 1/4 of your prestige with these events. You’d receive even more if you chose the other option.

nzolz7.jpg

The Egyptian/OE war ended in early August with a US/OE white peace. Egypt was saved for some reason.

6 October I sacrificed my military briefly to gain an influx in cash so I could jumpstart some factories. Factory construction would help my world rank and would, hopefully, bring more cash into my hands.

9u3csz.jpg

25 December I built my first factory, Fabric, in my capital. That day my National Focus was altered from soldiers to craftsmen. Hopefully I’m taking a step in the right direction but this is a Brandenburg III AAR.

15d6mft.jpg

Technically, losing territory to China isn't that big a deal -- is in fact a wise strategy (feed the doberman to keep it from eating you) -- so long as Brandenburg gains more territory overall in the space between wars with China. Eventually he will grow large enough to be able to defend against China (this is unfair -- Brandenburg, you've BEEN defending against China brilliantly!), and eventually retake the territory.

Great work, Sir!

Rensslaer