• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mengil

Recruit
1 Badges
Jan 17, 2005
  • IPO Investor
Im playing WiF titanium as germany and have just conquered France and now i have partisans spawning in different territories.
One division spawned in nantes where i had an infantry division myself, i sent a 3 division panzer group there that took em out but it took along time.

But the problem is Paris, another partisan spawned there and attacks my hq unit, i sent 9 panzer/mot. inf divisions there now and they just cant defeat the partistan.
Their org goes down slightly and then comes back to same level as before, so i just let the game run for a few months and the fight still continues at same level.

If i retreat with my divions i lose Paris and get 5% dissent but i can't beat them it seems.

Are partisans supposed to be invurnerable or is it a bug? and how should i defeat them?

It's not a bug. The issue is that you're sending tanks to fight in a city without infantry support, and as such, they're making absolutely no progress against the population (how are they supposed to root out partisans fighting house to house without getting out of their tanks, or blowing up the city in general?)

Mechanically, if you mouse over the unit in the battle screen, you will see that they're fighting at 1% efficiency due to all the penalties. Really it should be less than 1%, but the engine rounds up at 1% because it can't handle smaller values. You're lucky in fact that the enemy in question is a partisan unit with extremely low attack values (no hard attack, irrc.) Had you been sending those tanks against regular infantry units, they would have lost a quarter of their strength and the battle by now.

Also, if it's winter, that will be giving additional severe penalties to all your units (unfortunately, the engine can't differentiate between say the Russian or French winter.)

As for how to defeat them, two answers:
1. Send INFANTRY (who are capable of fighting inside cities, after all.)
2. Send a few CAS or TACs to bomb them to death (ground strike, not support), while the endless battle rages on, since they haven't had a chance to dig in yet. Note that this will result in your AA guns in the province firing at your own aircraft, because of a game design flaw, unfortunately, but the losses won't be very heavy.

Really it should be less than 1%
No it shouldn't. Where people get this idiotic notion that a panzer division is made only of tanks ? A German panzer division during the war had (usually) 2 motorized infantry REGIMENTS (~4 to 6 infantry battalions) and from 1 to 4 tank battalions. On average 1~2 battalions of infantry for 1 battalion of tanks in early war and 2~3 infantry battalions vs 1 tank battalion in late war.
Two points:
1. Obviously a full infantry division was better suited for heavy urban combat, mostly because ~9 battalions of infantry is, in such circumstances, better than 4 or 6.
2. For purely gameplay and game balancing reasons making panzer division very bad at urban combat makes sense but don't try to rationalize it too hard.

... all I meant by that passage was that if you add up all the modifiers yourself, the actual value would be something like 0.1%, but the engine rounds it up to 1%. I wasn't commenting on justification for it, or lack thereof.

No it shouldn't. Where people get this idiotic notion that a panzer division is made only of tanks ? A German panzer division during the war had (usually) 2 motorized infantry REGIMENTS (~4 to 6 infantry battalions) and from 1 to 4 tank battalions. On average 1~2 battalions of infantry for 1 battalion of tanks in early war and 2~3 infantry battalions vs 1 tank battalion in late war.
Two points:
1. Obviously a full infantry division was better suited for heavy urban combat, mostly because ~9 battalions of infantry is, in such circumstances, better than 4 or 6.
2. For purely gameplay and game balancing reasons making panzer division very bad at urban combat makes sense but don't try to rationalize it too hard.

I am sorry then :D Technically it should be less than 1% but it is rounded up just as you said. People sometimes try to rationalize GAME mechanics too hard forgetting that its a game not a perfect simulation, i tought you are doing the same, silly me.

A propos: if you have any idea on the subject of my question in the thread i created, i would be very grateful.