• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I agree the brigade amounts are 'bit' off, but as for solution...
Maybe there should be more than 'colony' vs 'state' or even the 'core' comparison, add in 'overseas' to the evaluation for 'required soldiers for a brigade' and india problem would be fixed in no time, though I like the strong UK somewhat, afterall, what other challenge would I have left in this game?

I'm actually thinking I could have been even more aggressive somehow, I even tried another Austria game to see if I could manage this faster but ended up getting beaten down by, I think, UK joining in favor of Status Quo, don't know why that never happened in this game...
I never even thought of those party voting right thingies, I tend to be a monarchist over all and never paid that much attention to voting things...
And yea, I haven't gotten this far with any other nation before growing bored or annoyed over something, so I do like the Austria.
But I have learned quite a bit since I played this game and I feel bit odd about some of the choises I made during this game, especially when I'm writing about them afterwards and think 'what the...'

I have a slight problem with next few chapters, the war is awfully well documented and I'm trying to figure out how I'd get it to be less than 3 chapters, and more than that, not turn boring. Also thinking I'll have to continue playing from a save after the war as I don't understand what I've been doing the few years after that, some awfully halfmeasured industrial changes on which I've wasted 2 years? Can't justify that, will have to find something better to do... :rofl:

Thanks for the last update, i enjoyed it :)

I have the feeling you tend to get alittle too detailed about the battles and loose the bigger picture over that.
But of course thats just my personal opinon, i am sure alot of readers enjoy your detailed battle descriptions :)

Hope to read more updates!

I've never seen the Nobel Prize things before. How do you get (or increase your chances of getting) one?

Alexspeed, yeah, I think the next war after this I'll have a better concept for the wars, but as I'm running on screenshots and don't have that good a picture myself anymore, I'll have to figure out something. As I've been writing HoI3 AAR's before this, well, those are mostly about battles even if in quite different manner, still with the size of these end game wars, I can probably adopt something from there now, once I figure out a way to write it properly...

BigBadBob, wasn't really sure, but since there's a neat single file for them, let's see...
1. Sweden must exist in 1898 and get event for them. (and first ones will only be given out in 1901 anyways, I think)
2. You must be either 'Great power', 'have over 500 prestige' or 'have capital in europe and have over 50 prestige'
3. Have researched something or other depending on the nobel
4. and, I suppose be lucky, though I can't figure out what factor decides who gets it, I think each is only given out once a year (Medicine, Physics, Chemistry, Literature and Peace available)

Alexspeed, yeah, I think the next war after this I'll have a better concept for the wars, but as I'm running on screenshots and don't have that good a picture myself anymore, I'll have to figure out something. As I've been writing HoI3 AAR's before this, well, those are mostly about battles even if in quite different manner, still with the size of these end game wars, I can probably adopt something from there now, once I figure out a way to write it properly...

I am looking forward to see how you will do that, and understand that HoI AAR´s need better explained battles than V2 AAR´s of course :)

Legacy of Metternich - (short) Chapter Seventeen

It's been long enough break now and althought this chapter is bit 'half done' (as in it's half the usual lenght), let's see how this format feels. I've tried to fit a lot of information into single picture, black arrows being Imperial troop movements, roman numerals are Armee numbers, various other color arrows being troop movements of other nations, if available. I have no idea what I'll write in between of these pictures, but let's find out...

Chapter Seventeen

punchcongorubbercartoon.jpg

Our troops moved swiftly across the border and engaged various Dutch and Belgian troops while they were still being mobilized, scoring series of early victories, most notably the complete victory in Leeuwarden. After the initial victory in Arnhem, retreating army of Netherlands joined another in Utrecht, forcing the II. Armee abandon occupation of Arnhem to assist the III..

19021201firstweeks.png

After the followup battles of Amsterdam and Rotterdam had reduced strenght of that Dutch army to few thousand men, Reinhold von Dietrich commanding the combined II. and III. Armees decided to relieve the X. and V. Armees in the long lasting battle of Maastricht instead of chasing after those remnants, and indeed, his intervention was decisive. The Belgians scattered after losing over hundred thousand men and one of those remnants was futher reduced at battle of Liege.

19021212more.png

Meanwhile, Kaiserliche Marine had managed to gather enough tranports to take IX. and VII. Armees all the way to Sumatra. The landing was succesful and took the local dutch commander by surprise. However, he quickly responded, and the amount of troops in West Indies was at least as big a surprise to the Imperial planners. Indeed, the whole VII. Armee was lost and what little of IX. made it back to the ships wasn't in any shape to continue the fight, thus the expedition returned to Egypt in disgrace.

19030120westind.png

The war was not very popular at home, and various rebel movements took advantage of the distraction of the army. Indeed, that strategy was quite succesful, at least, until the new of defeat in West Indies reached Vienna and mobilization was ordered, while some of those mobilized 'soldiers' were members of said rebel factions, military dicipline won over and the revolters were taken care of.

1903rebels.png

The Contest is over and i am happy to present you your final score:

6424540contest-placement-08.jpg

Forgiven - Legacy of Metternich - Austrian AAR

Your AAR ranked number 8, congratulations!
It was a sure thing you will be in the Top 10
from the first judges score till the last one.

I truly enjoyed reading about Austria in your AAR,
and not only because i am from there,
but because its a great and enjoyable read!

We allready talked about your detailed battles,
maybe alittle too detailed, but enjoyable neverthless.
Its a different perspective on the gameplay
than most other AAR´s take.

I think you made also the most updates from all contestors!
And with a very good time span between them,
you also got alot of readers, and thats proof that your AAR is very good! :)

You where allways in the Top 10, the highest you ranked was 4.
For quite a while you where in the top 6 and only lost some ground in the end.
That you only accieved one 99 score might be the reason you dropped to 8.

It was a pleasure to read your great AAR! :)

I thank you for competing, congratulate you to your Top 10 Score, and i wish you all the best!

Forgiven, first I'd like to assure you that I really did like your AAR, but I guess competition was very, very fierce and it's difficult judging all those AARs fairly. Someone has to come out under and to my own surprise you ended up only 16th in my personal list with 16 points. The small font size definately has something to do with it, no matter how stupid a reason that may be to you. You were also one of the few to start his AAR with a big nation, a Great Power already, while most others did great things with small countries. When considering gameplay, that counts as well.
Anyway, I am really happy that despite my low score you ended up on the 8th place overall. Congratulations!

Qorten: It is, rather surprising reason that font size, I never even considered increasing it. It is actually the standart size of the board you see, but now that I look at it, I suppose I can see a difference and that "century gothic" is 'naturally thinner' than this standart font, and as I regularly read my books in smaller font than this, indeed, did not even realize it was small. I kind of agree on the great power thing, alas, I tried Spain (yes, it GP but one of the most likely to fall off in few first years), Japan and Finland before I started this Austria game but since I cocked up them all and felt I was starting to be in a hurry to get the AAR started I picked something I felt I couldn't fail with, at least not easily. It did lead to some problems as I could figure what to leave out of all that abundance of stuff happening withing the empire, in the end I left most of it out, more and more as I got futher in the AAR in fact...
But thanks for the honest critique. Winter should come sooner (has 'it' been delayed futher yet, last I read it was supposed to be finished in october but nothing came out?).

Still no Dance of Dragons released as far as I can glance from his website (I assume that's what you're hinting at).

Qorten: Yep, that's what I was getting at, did check on my own after writing it too, and found this as 'last update'
"11 October 2010 Update:
At the New York Comic-Con, GRRM's American publishers announced that ADWD is five chapters away from completion, with those chapters already existing in draft format. Bantam US have confirmed that they want the book completed by Christmas and to be able to announce a release date in the New Year. George R.R. Martin himself has not commented yet on this news."
...But I wouldn't bet on anything, would hardly be first missed deadline after all...

scholar; ah I suppose it is, thanks. Not that I feel need for much of consolation, I made the top 10 and I'm quite happy with that, the signup was rather opportunistic choise seeing how 10 first would be rewarded and what, 7 or 8 had signed up by that time...