• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Anthropoid

Major Game Slut
59 Badges
Sep 30, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company Collection
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
A couple weeks ago I bought EI Complete ("Designer's Cut"). It took me a while to get into it. At first it seemed kinda awkward and hard to figure out. However, I did eventually get the idea of how the game is modeled and for about the past week, I've been playing this one way more than I really should have been.

This is one of the best games I've ever played.

The strategic level is engrossing and well-balanced, despite being quite simplified. The way the tactical battles, captains, and ship types interact in the operational and strategic level dynamics are absolutely brilliant and one of the best modellings of 17th century colonial relations I've ever seen. This is all the more amazing given that the designers did not just take the "Civ" approach and try to include very single conceivable detail that could have been included. They instead modeled that which was truly salient to the colonial trade wars aspect of this period in history, and left the else as "assume parity and therefore not included in the model." I think my slow development of interest in the game had to do with this design feature; having played so many games where nations are modeled as multiple province/tile elements with complicated cities, complicated social policies, etc., my first insinct I think was hesitation with a game like this where each of the colonial European powers is represented as "one port." The fact is, this was one of the most ingenious game design decisions I've seen in years. All that other "Civ-style" or EU-style detail is irrelevant for the key focus of this game: developing the East Indian trade empire and fighting 17th century naval trade war.

By focusing the design, and articulating the strategic level trading, conquesting, building, diplomatic, and naval elements with the tactical engine, this game creates a feeling of the political processes at the time that I have imagined based on reading and movies. The game recreates that aspect of the period in history amazingly well.

Of course the tactical naval battles are the best part: the best tactical naval engine I have ever seen.

This is the game that I so very much wanted when I finally had played Pirates! way too much and had to stop. Pirates! was a fantastic game, but I think EI Complete is even better.

I have yet to even try the additional expansions that came in the complete package (Pirate Bay, Privateer, Battle of Trafalgar).

Please Nitro and Paradox: MAKE MORE GAMES LIKE THIS ONE!! :D

So what is the chance that this game will get a sequel?

I think the tactical naval battle engine in this game is fantastic, and I'd love to see it extended to later historical periods. Even up to say 1935 or thereabouts.

The issue with the increasing gun ranges could be tricky as the eras progress . . . but if that could be rectified, I think this engine would be an absolute blast to play through the era of the transition from wooden ships to ironclads, then iron steamers and finally cruisers, battleships, destroyers, and dreadnoughts. Subs would be an obvious problem. Perhaps they could be abstracted and not really playable.

"Of course the tactical naval battles are the best part: the best tactical naval engine I have ever seen."

Have a look at Empire: Total War. The naval tac. engine is prettier, has a much bigger variety of available ships and allows you to set formations at the start of battle. I also prefer the sounds (including commands in native languages), and the smoke trails on cannon balls aren't there either. Oh, you can have up to twenty ships a side too. Still not quite enough for Trafalgar, but it's a lot more than 5.

I like it better than EIC. It's not perfect, but I find it a lot more engaging. Just my two cents worth.

I have to agree with the OP. EIC is engaging, challenging and more than a little addictive. I can see it getting repetitive, but so far it's kept my interest. The variety of trading ports and commodities, the freedom to trade as the player sees fit and stand or fall on the player's own merits is, so far, a winning combination. We don't need micro-managing and endless detail; anything not related to commercial endeavours is pared away leaving just that concept - trade and financial concerns. You're running a trading company, not managing a nation, although you will grow to own land in India and elsewhere.

In trading, in the free campaign at least, you're free to ignore India entirely if you wish and concentrate on trading ivory, gold, and diamonds from Africa, along with minor goods to avoid price crashes. You can focus on coffee from Arabia if you prefer, but of course, the real money to be made is in India. You've got to be careful, though - the voyage to India is long, and your company could end up in debt before a convoy of tea and spices has made it home, eating up your profits on upkeep of ships and salaries of crew and officers. Lose a ship and a valuable cargo to pirates and you might not recover for a long time, especially an expensive brig or flute.

Of course, you can turn the tables on the other companies and hit their shipping. Take a few ships and you've profited by a large sum - the cost of those ships, plus whatever cargo they had aboard, not to mention the use of those vessels in the future. In my free campaign I just took three French Flutes in a battle, which I plan to use as another trading squadron for the spice run. Sadly I lost a Frigate doing it - ran aground of all ends! - so my profit is low, but I've denied the French company three valuable ships and I can use them for my own gain in future.

All in all, EIC really does seem to be a great game.

I was wondering if I should bother trying to play EIC the main game. I bought the collection for the Trafalgar battle and absolutely hated it. Is the main game better? What I hated about Trafalgar was the extreme historical inaccuracy despite protestations to the contrary on the steam sale page, particularly the reduced number of ships, the reduction of all the different ship types to just two (one with 90 guns, one with 46), the bad AI and the lack of control over my fleet. The way reinforcements turn up when you lose ships make it feel more like an arcade game than a historical sim too.

I just got Directors Cut a week ago and am really digging it (d/l from Amazon already came with v1.12 nice)

A couple of questions:

1. Can you merge fleets?

2. Can you split fleets?

Thanks, Habs.

I just got Directors Cut a week ago and am really digging it (d/l from Amazon already came with v1.12 nice)

A couple of questions:

1. Can you merge fleets?

2. Can you split fleets?

Thanks, Habs.

Yes to both.

How to merging?

I found the little ship icon to split.

Thanks, Habs

You move ships from one fleet to the other until the first fleet is gone.