• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Do you never change from Feudal Monarchy? A century or so into the game, I'm typically getting at least 2 per year.

And they've already stated that Magistrate mechanics will be tweaked.

-Pat

My Great Britain game nets me 14/year, but I build lots of roads and post offices

I like this for the most part just a couple questions.

First is it possible for Modders to mod in new buildings?

Second is it possible to mod away the restriction on the top end buildings so that its not an either or situation or would that crash something?

Third are there some buildings that do not require a magistrate?

And Fourth can we mod how many magistrates are needed for a building so we could make some need none, some need one, and some need more than one?

But does tweaked mean more, or just tweaked?

I personally don't think it matters in the long run. It's not like you need too many overall. Anyone getting only one magistrate a year is obviously not doing something right. In most games, I'm getting at least 2 a year by around 1600. The "I'm 200 provinces and this will suck" argument is null and void. You shouldn't be 200 provinces and still be worrying about maximum infrastructure. There are only a handful of nations in the game that break 50 provinces historically, and in many cases this was in underdeveloped colonies. The idea that England could conquer the eastern coast of North America and have it fully fortified with churches and workshops to boot in a couple of decades is just unbelievable. It's one of the ridiculous factors of the game that makes expansion unrealistically fast and easy.

Just for example, if you're a respectable 40 provinces, then you would need 960 magistrates to build all the level 1-4 improvements. If you're getting 2 magistrates a year on average through the whole game, then you'll be able to build roughly 4/5's of those improvements over the span of the game. That's very, very reasonable. You usually don't need to go past level 2 forts in most provinces, and only a few buildings are must haves, so you can probably eliminate 200-300 of those buildings in the long run. If you're really OCD about building everything, then I can see where it might bug you, but practically speaking, this is more of a slowdown than anything else.

Glad to see some improvements to the core game at last. I hope this expansion offers value for money for those of us not that interested in the far east.

My Great Britain game nets me 14/year, but I build lots of roads and post offices

Let me guess - you're playing unpatched HTTT? In the beta, magistrate gain from roads and post offices is severely decreased.

Generally, I'm sure there'll be rebalancing as far as magistrate gain goes.

There are only a handful of nations in the game that break 50 provinces historically, and in many cases this was in underdeveloped colonies. The idea that England could conquer the eastern coast of North America and have it fully fortified with churches and workshops to boot in a couple of decades is just unbelievable.

True, and this gives me an idea. There should be some high end buildings that give benefits to the region and/or continent. That way, building a sort of "colonial capital" to govern that area, an administrative and military center, would make sense like it historically did. Otherwise, with the overseas modifiers etc. I don't see anyone developing any of their colonies past the very basics in this system unless their homeland holdings are very small.

True, and this gives me an idea. There should be some high end buildings that give benefits to the region and/or continent. That way, building a sort of "colonial capital" to govern that area, an administrative and military center, would make sense like it historically did. Otherwise, with the overseas modifiers etc. I don't see anyone developing any of their colonies past the very basics in this system unless their homeland holdings are very small.

That would make sense, especially in the likes of the East Indies, in place of the Establish the East India Company, you could place a building in one of the provinces maybe?

My one problem with this is that the colonist buuilt these thing for themselves, churchs didnt all of a sudden magicallyappear in america

My one problem with this is that the colonist buuilt these thing for themselves, churchs didnt all of a sudden magicallyappear in america

Like I said, I think they should be high end buildings. :) Vagn's East India Company example is a good one. As long as there's no Vicky style system of developing areas like Bombay or Calcutta (and there shouldn't, this is EU not Vicky), it makes more sense to give the player incentive to build "colonial capitals" - which certainly were organized by a state and/or a company historically - instead of being able to spam buildings all over the colonies like now, or leaving them completely backwater if DW has no such incentive.

Nor did they pay much in the way of taxes to the central government. EUIII abstracts the whole process; colonists pay taxes to you (representing the State) and you spend that money on improvements in those provinces. If you took that away, so instead of paying money into your treasury they kept it and simply constructed province improvements at random every few years... wouldn't that be a pretty boring game with nothing to do?

Any way Paradox can use those city view buildings on the map? they are very nice and it would be a shame to lose them, especially since the vanilla cities are the most miserable looking things I have nearly ever seen. :)

At least leave them as files I can use.

EU3_2copy.jpg

That looks stunningly pretty

magistrates to build buildings?? lets say your've got 100 provinces, each needs a workshop and a temple, 100x2=200, 200 magistrates is a hell of alot, no matter how many post offices and roads you have.

Post Office and Road Network are now buildings and does not give additional magistrates at the moment.

Well part of the point is that they don't want you to be able to put workshops everywhere in only one year, no matter how much cash you have saved up. Since you can't accumulate more than 5 magistrates that is a way to achieve that.

Correct.

@jdrou: Despite the intent of preventing building spamming, this will make building infrastructure evenly slowly extremely hard. In my HttT games, I usually end up getting around 1 magistrate a year. Now, the game lasts about 430 years. If I build without missing a beat, I still get only 430 buildings. Considering that there are now 30 buildings possible in one province, even in a small ten province country this would take centuries. Make that a 50 province power and you'll never even get close. Note that the developers also mentioned they were culling "no-brainer" decisions like roads and post offices, thus further limiting magistrate intake.

You're assuming that every province should have all buildings. If you can achieve that easily than it becomes a no-brainer. What we're aiming for is strategic choices -- what to build, when to build, and where to build.

First is it possible for Modders to mod in new buildings?

Second is it possible to mod away the restriction on the top end buildings so that its not an either or situation or would that crash something?

Third are there some buildings that do not require a magistrate?

And Fourth can we mod how many magistrates are needed for a building so we could make some need none, some need one, and some need more than one?

1) Yes, even new categories.
2) As far as I know, no.
3) No, but this can be modded.
4) Yes.

I like building scarcity, it makes specialization important. One of the reasons why Civ 4 and 5 are so good is that they emphasize strategic choice for which buildings to build in your cities. It's ineffecient to build every building everywhere, instead you build the money making ones in good money making cities, and the production increasing ones in your big army producing cities. In Divine Wind, it should work the same way. You may only get to the final building of one type in each province now. You'll have a core set of provinces dedicated to pumping out lots of strong land units, while you focus on building trade buildings in provinces with good trade goods, and so on.

Provincial specialization should make you think about how you place buildings, should make the really good buildings more scarce (let's face it, EU3 could use something to give it more challenge, it's piss easy right now), should give smaller countries who can afford to build more buildings per province a leg up against bigger countries, and will make provinces more interesting. Right now every province is the same, pretty much, just with different tax values. Now you'll have industrial provinces, bureaucratic centers, etc. It gives the game more personality.

Just my two cents.

I like building scarcity, it makes specialization important. One of the reasons why Civ 4 and 5 are so good is that they emphasize strategic choice for which buildings to build in your cities. It's ineffecient to build every building everywhere, instead you build the money making ones in good money making cities, and the production increasing ones in your big army producing cities. In Divine Wind, it should work the same way. You may only get to the final building of one type in each province now. You'll have a core set of provinces dedicated to pumping out lots of strong land units, while you focus on building trade buildings in provinces with good trade goods, and so on.

Provincial specialization should make you think about how you place buildings, should make the really good buildings more scarce (let's face it, EU3 could use something to give it more challenge, it's piss easy right now), should give smaller countries who can afford to build more buildings per province a leg up against bigger countries, and will make provinces more interesting. Right now every province is the same, pretty much, just with different tax values. Now you'll have industrial provinces, bureaucratic centers, etc. It gives the game more personality.

Just my two cents.

But the question that remains is still "can the AI handle it?" or will it place the wrong buildings in the wrong provinces, thus making the game even more "piss easy".

I suppose the fear is that, to take a drastic example, "pause, build 200 workshops" becomes 50 x "pause when you have 4 magistrates, build 4 workshops". Endlessly stopping the game to build obvious buildings is worse than doing one bulk order for them, so serious care has to be taken to avoid that.

Hypothetically, you're completely right. In my opinion though, the thought that you will always be able to endlessly spam 200 buildings every year is the wrong way to view the game. Whether you decide to order the construction of a grand fort or war college should be a big decision affecting your realm, not a senseless mechanism you have to do 10 times a month.

Hypothetically, you're completely right. In my opinion though, the thought that you will always be able to endlessly spam 200 buildings every year is the wrong way to view the game. Whether you decide to order the construction of a grand fort or war college should be a big decision affecting your realm, not a senseless mechanism you have to do 10 times a month.

Totally agreed. But that does require that no-brainer buildings really don't exist. If something like a basic workshop is still something that you want to build in every province, you're going to be doing that clicking every four magistrates. Or every time you get a magistrate if you're some power gamer.

I do trust that the devs understand this though, but I also see why some people are worried.