+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Divine Wind - Developer Diary #5

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkestrel View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been answered in the thread already, but will it be possible to destroy buildings? And will doing so require magistrates (hopefully not). I can see annexing a vassal for instance, and then suddenly having a huge negative magistrate income because that vassal of yours had a number of buildings that are suddenly draining your magistrate pool.
    Yes this has been answered, yes this will be possible.
    I don't think buildings reduce your magistrate income (unless I misunderstood), you just need to expend magistrates for building them, as you do now when taking decisions.
    Last edited by Junuxx; 14-10-2010 at 23:49. Reason: typos!

bring the game home!
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by Malurous View Post
    it just doesn't make sense to station them in every unfortified province if the reason is to keep a ridiculously small fleeing stack from taking over the province before your main army arrives on the same day.
    You certainly enjoy hyperbole, don't you? So you won't mind if I take you literally. If a "ridiculously small" stack and "your main army" arrive on the same day, and you don't instantly win due to the 10:1 rule, your main army is ridiculously small.

-Pat
    It always takes a New Yorker to bring some sense into the discussion. -christianx
    I'm not a professional cynic; I do this out of the goodness of my heart
    Spreading Evil: Pat Crowe's Autobiography
    /me gives Pat a gold star. -MrT
    Fan of the Week, 22 Oct 2006

Lt. General
    EU3 Collectors Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Junuxx View Post
    Yes this has been answered, yes this will be possible.
    I don't think buildings reduce your magistratie income (unless I misunderstood), you just need to expand magistrates for building them, as you do now when taking decisions.
    Thank you! I thought it was mentioned that buildings would drain income, but if not than it isn't really an issue. I can still see the need to destroy unique buildings if you didn't want them in that province, but it's not a pressing need like a building that had a magistrate income penalty associated with it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by gigau View Post
    Dear Besuchov, Captain Gars, Birken, or any other from the Divine Team, i got another question : i get it, some decisions (like post offices and census) have been merged and moved to the buildings area. But are there still other province decisions (like local customs or cultural unity) ? or was the feature scrapped all together ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Birken View Post
    Decisions are still there for some things like the HRE. Fear not modders out there.
    I asked it for you.

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    95 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Deus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Hearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Romtos View Post
    I asked it for you.
    My mistake... sorry for missing your post

Thanks a lot
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • Europa Universalis IV •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    • Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp. •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    • Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication •
    • Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club ! •

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    LegioMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Quote Originally Posted by pjcrowe View Post
    You certainly enjoy hyperbole, don't you?
    Hehe, it's not that I enjoy it - like I said I tried (and failed, obviously) to make a point by exaggerating.

So you won't mind if I take you literally. If a "ridiculously small" stack and "your main army" arrive on the same day, and you don't instantly win due to the 10:1 rule, your main army is ridiculously small.

-Pat
    It doesn't matter if the battle is instantly won as occupation happens before the battle - remember all those times when you've chased a rebel or an enemy to a province, arrived on the same day but had the offensive side? You do get the "province is under siege" message in that situation, or lose the province if it has no fort.
    Read my Cuzco MEIOU AAR Children of the Sun! (ongoing)
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

Follow Gentlemen in Germany - a Brunswick AAR! (ongoing)

Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR (ongoing)

WritAAR of the Week 24-5-2011, Fan of the Week 3-12-2009 & 15-1-2012
    Speed - A Castille (mini-?)AAR (finished)
    Took part in the HT Succession Game (finished)

I just want to add my voice that these changes sound fantastic. I think it is going to be fun and interesting to develop one's country now. Maybe it'll even get rid of boredom wars.

Achtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireKing Arthur II
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaNaval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesV2 AHD BetaPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Other than the magistrates being required for certain buildings, the changes sound good.

Minister of Peace for Europe Moderator Grosshaus's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Looks great!

While changing the interface regarding city view and buildings screen, please also consider having the messages/history log to appear outside that interface. There looks to be ample room a bit to the right of centre on lower part of the screen.
    Pity comes for free, but jealousy must be earned - Lauri Tδhkδ

Hearts of Iron II beta AAR Guardian of Democracy

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    LegioMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Grosshaus View Post
    While changing the interface regarding city view and buildings screen, please also consider having the messages/history log to appear outside that interface. There looks to be ample room a bit to the right of centre on lower part of the screen.
    This is a very good point. Same applies to siege and battle screens - playing on a widescreen, half the lower part is free but those screens cover the messages.

Especially a long and pivotal battle has this effect: you want to follow the battle to react if necessary, but all sorts of things happen during that long clash that you miss unless you just pause all the time.
    Read my Cuzco MEIOU AAR Children of the Sun! (ongoing)
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

Follow Gentlemen in Germany - a Brunswick AAR! (ongoing)

Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR (ongoing)

WritAAR of the Week 24-5-2011, Fan of the Week 3-12-2009 & 15-1-2012
    Speed - A Castille (mini-?)AAR (finished)
    Took part in the HT Succession Game (finished)

Quote Originally Posted by Malurous View Post
    This is a very good point. Same applies to siege and battle screens - playing on a widescreen, half the lower part is free but those screens cover the messages.

Especially a long and pivotal battle has this effect: you want to follow the battle to react if necessary, but all sorts of things happen during that long clash that you miss unless you just pause all the time.
    +1
    They shall be my finest warriors, these men who give of themselves to me. Like clay I shall mould them, and in the furnace of war forge them. They will be of iron will and steely muscle. In great armour shall I clad them and with the mightiest guns will they be armed. They will be untouched by plague or disease, no sickness will blight them. They will have tactics, strategies and machines so that no foe can best them in battle. They are my bulwark against the terror. They are the defenders of humanity and they shall know no fear.

Mastermind Paradox Dev Team Birken's Avatar
    March of the EaglesPirates of Black Cove

Quote Originally Posted by lordkestrel View Post
    Thank you! I thought it was mentioned that buildings would drain income, but if not than it isn't really an issue. I can still see the need to destroy unique buildings if you didn't want them in that province, but it's not a pressing need like a building that had a magistrate income penalty associated with it would be.
    Unique, manufactory and high level buildings (the ones that are exclusive) can be destroyed the 'x' buttons in the interface.

Quote Originally Posted by tului View Post
    Other than the magistrates being required for certain buildings, the changes sound good.
    It's scriptable, I'm sure there will be a "Fort level 1 without the cost of a magistrate"-mod pretty soon if people find it to be an actual problem after launch.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderAncient Space

It's scriptable, I'm sure there will be a "Fort level 1 without the cost of a magistrate"-mod pretty soon if people find it to be an actual problem after launch.
    LOL! There's practically a 'rule 34' for such things - if the possibility exists, someone will do it - probably at the beta stage!
    "Nature always obeys her own laws"
    - Leonardo da Vinci

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesRome Gold
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

I don't mean to be condescending or patronising, but I think we already got enough people in this thread alone saying that it will be an actual problem before launch.
    It's obvious people don't mind the AI getting a level 1 fort anywhere it wants, as long as it doesn't prevent us from having them wherever we want.
    And it makes sense really, I have to agree with them. Everybody loves conquering land from other nations, and yet everybody hates re-conquering their land from rebels. Making life easier for rebels is not really the way things should be heading to.

Otherwise we'd play with Ethiopia (which still needs to be properly nerfed btw ).
    ubik: "The biggest part of the Magna Mundi releases is we give the pleasure of waiting free of charge... "
    Gongji: "There is also that amazing easter egg where you must chase armies across the provinces over and over, they call it "ping ponging". It must be an easter egg as there is no way that is in their on [sic] purpose."

Mastermind Paradox Dev Team Birken's Avatar
    March of the EaglesPirates of Black Cove

Quote Originally Posted by The Zealot View Post
    I don't mean to be condescending or patronising, but I think we already got enough people in this thread alone saying that it will be an actual problem before launch.
    It's obvious people don't mind the AI getting a level 1 fort anywhere it wants, as long as it doesn't prevent us from having them wherever we want.
    And it makes sense really, I have to agree with them. Everybody loves conquering land from other nations, and yet everybody hates re-conquering their land from rebels. Making life easier for rebels is not really the way things should be heading to.

Otherwise we'd play with Ethiopia (which still needs to be properly nerfed btw ).
    Enough people for what?
    Why do you think the ai will get them for free?

Augustus of the North DreadLindwyrm's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

We have had quite a few people saying they'd like to be able to build basic defenses (Fort level 1) without magistrates. Personally I'm in favour of this, if only because I've had revolts happen in captured territory that have resulted in chasing rebels for quite a while and through territory that I've not been able to afford/not had the time to build forts in and it really isn't fun. I'd also think of that as being the sort of level the townsmen would try to arrange as soon as they had the cash on hand, even if this consists of wooden walls and a ditch around a village.

As far as I can see from The Zealot's post he isn't saying the AI should get them for free, just that they should also be able to build level 1 forts without magistrates, just as the player(s) should otherwise AI conquests of (for example) the American tribes will probably just collapse, and the early Russian game will involve a lot of provinces changing hands very rapidly as, from memory, quite a bit of Novgorod starts of without forts.
    *This space deliberately left blank*

DONT TREAD ON ME Moderator TheLoneGunman's Avatar
    51 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron Cross
    King Arthur IIThe Kings CrusadeMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations
    Rise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by The Zealot View Post

There've been quite a few of us in this thread that are actually in support of making forts (even level 1 forts) cost a magistrate.

A poll might be in order now!
    "also most of paradox rise as a successful company can be attributed to the motivating powers of "Mr Nibbles", a vicious old platypus specimen Johan keep locked in a drawer. Whenever a programmer isn't working fast enough, or introduces a bug Mr Nibbles is let out of the box to give the perpetrator a nasty bite." - podcat

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderAncient Space

I actually feel fine with having to pay magistrates to get Level 1 Forts, provided there's a mechanism like Vicky's where there's a delay in actually gaining control of a province. There's been no word on this idea yet, though.
    "Nature always obeys her own laws"
    - Leonardo da Vinci

SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by DreadLindwyrm View Post
    As far as I can see from The Zealot's post he isn't saying the AI should get them for free, just that they should also be able to build level 1 forts without magistrates, just as the player(s) should otherwise AI conquests of (for example) the American tribes will probably just collapse, and the early Russian game will involve a lot of provinces changing hands very rapidly as, from memory, quite a bit of Novgorod starts of without forts.
    Exactly my point. I never said that the AI should get free anything, they follow the rules the same way everyone else does. The issue is with the rules limiting Level 1 forts.

Enough people for what?
    Enough people saying that it will be a problem if Magistrates are mandatory to build a level 1 fort, based on current knowledge of the game so far.
    ubik: "The biggest part of the Magna Mundi releases is we give the pleasure of waiting free of charge... "
    Gongji: "There is also that amazing easter egg where you must chase armies across the provinces over and over, they call it "ping ponging". It must be an easter egg as there is no way that is in their on [sic] purpose."

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoneGunman View Post
    There've been quite a few of us in this thread that are actually in support of making forts (even level 1 forts) cost a magistrate.

A poll might be in order now!
    I have no problems with following the dictatorship of the majority.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast