• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's where...
...came in. Put a requirement that you need the equivalent of a full regiment with more than one turn-of-the-month worth of morale, and the problem is solved. If you're chasing ping-pongers, you're fine as long as you don't let them sit around to reorganise. Of course, exact values are debateable - whether it's 1000 men or 500 depends on what effect you want attrition to have on strategy.

Yes, I know. Like I said, I completely agree with your post, I was answering only to the part I quoted. That doesn't really make sense as no-one was claiming in the first place that having an important center unguarded and unfortified was a smart thing to do.

1. Seen one man fleeing
2. events can reduce the size of forts, Rome without fort is possible, but rare
3. Why build regiments when you could build garrisons? Garrisons guard the provinces, regiments can be moved more easily, especially for offensive warfare. Garrisons dig in and defend the place.
4. Asia, Africa, pretty much everywhere outside Europe?

1. Well I hope you know that a fleeing army ( my own over 50k has surrended to one regement of enemy troops) will prpberly be stooped by one or a few regiments.
2. You're right but as you say it's rare.
3. If we are limited by magistrats a regiment solve the non fortification problem or give you the small base defences.
4. Most Asia is fortified or am I wrong? Well the steep is not fortifed that's true but Japan, China, India, Indochina and the Middle east has, hasn't they?
5. Well if you leave North Africa, there is not much nation controlled (i.e. where they can have forts).

But well say a 100 men main defence for cities that stops fleeing armies and stop a regiment for takin' the city for sa 1-2 months.

Last edited:
1. Well I hope you know that a fleeing army ( my own over 50k has surrended to one regement of enemy troops) will prpberly be stooped by one or a few regiments.

This doesn't change the fact that if those men aren't there, that one fleeing man can take over Rome in one day if it happens to be unfortified. Which I've never seen but it is possible in theory via a fort loss event. Or any other city for that matter.

I mean, does this really sound logical and realistic to you? Do you really think that one man is capable of conquering cities of hundreds of thousands of inhabitants? All the while running away?

Perhaps as an alternative to level 1 fort not needing a magistrate, you could actually allow a militia in the colonies, at the very least the people in the colony would have some sort of weapon to combat the likes of wolves and bears, what would stop them turning these 'weapons' on an invading army assuming that it is less than a certain size.

What about very decentralized Empires?
Does the central government have to spend magistrates to reach the far corners of the empire, just to build a lvl 1 fort?

And in China, where the provincial governors would have decided on matters like these, now the Emperor, the player has to do everything with his own divine hands?
No local development, orders must come from above?
State transforms the society, society not the state?

Depends, if you're decentralized enough to have parts of your empire as vassals, they'll build the buildings for you.
But if it's you who decides what and where to buy, you're paying. There are still some events that give buildings as before.

That's great thank you

so we can add for example new categories easily , how the interface will change , we can add for example scroll bar if we want to have more categories than 7.
For example if I want to add one more category for my medicine technology . how the interface react? , I know probably I will have to change a bit, but it will be possible to look nice ? I hope you will understand what I'm talking about :)
Now I thinking about a lot more categories , special for overseas provinces etc.
I hope that will be possible :)
and thank you for reply

It's already a list, script a new category of buildings and a scrollbar will appear.

It's already a list, script a new category of buildings and a scrollbar will appear.

No kidding ? We can have more categories of building ? :eek: Did i say i love you guys ? :cool:

Question : is there also a way to add one or more levels to each category ?

No kidding ? We can have more categories of building ? :eek: Did i say i love you guys ? :cool:

I like to follow your personal Q&A session and look forward what you're gonna mod with it. :D
*be silent spectator again

Seems that everyone is missing the "extreme example" part. No-one's claiming that a sane player would leave Rome unfortified, I'm just saying that it makes no sense that one fleeing man can in theory occupy Rome in less than a day. The same applies to any situation where a fleeing army insta-occupies despite an army giving chase - the example was just to highlight how dumb it is.

Um, if I may ask, why are we formulating a gameplay scenario with what is a nearly impossible situation. The point everyone is making is that a fort represents a local defense. Soldiers also represent a local defense. The most common place (by far) where you'll have this is colonies. Not Rome. If you leave your colonies undefended, then just like in real life, you'll probably lose them. It's probably much more historic to have an small, undefended city fall within a few days than to have 3,000 Protestant zealots besieging a city of 1,200 for 3 months as the villagers defend it from behind their cottage doors. That makes just as little sense as the Rome example, but it actually happens pretty regularly in the game.

No promises, but some modifications to the .gui files should be enough.

and the level at which buildings become exclusive is scriptable also.

Last edited:

Thats Great . Thank you
It is more than I expect so I just can not say more :D

Now I'm waiting for another Dev Diary's about trade , technology, military.
I hope there will be a lot more good news :)
especially for modding community ;)

But some colonies could have native population of 2000 plus 1000 colonists which makes it 3000 can be taken by routed animinst zealots of 1200 native troops from nearby seized native country province and when my army arrived on the second day the province is converted, slaughtered and salted, all because rebel generel have 1 more maneuver skill than my general?

And please, either remove the "fortfication neglected" event or add a third choice of paying ducats to keep the fort standing

Um, if I may ask, why are we formulating a gameplay scenario with what is a nearly impossible situation. The point everyone is making is that a fort represents a local defense. Soldiers also represent a local defense. The most common place (by far) where you'll have this is colonies. Not Rome. If you leave your colonies undefended, then just like in real life, you'll probably lose them. It's probably much more historic to have an small, undefended city fall within a few days than to have 3,000 Protestant zealots besieging a city of 1,200 for 3 months as the villagers defend it from behind their cottage doors. That makes just as little sense as the Rome example, but it actually happens pretty regularly in the game.

The province shouldn't just represent a single city. Supposedly only 1/4th or 1/5th of the province's population live in the city itself. While you're "sieging" your army would actually be moving around quite a bit, taking one fortification after another, one village after another, one city after another... This is particularly clear in some provinces that incorporate multiple large cities, like on the Chinese coastline

Um, if I may ask, why are we formulating a gameplay scenario with what is a nearly impossible situation.
Not Rome.

Oh please... You just quoted the answer to this. That's an "extreme example" to "highlight how dumb (a large province being insta-occupied by a fleeing army that's killed the same day) is."

It's probably much more historic to have an small, undefended city fall within a few days than to have 3,000 Protestant zealots besieging a city of 1,200 for 3 months as the villagers defend it from behind their cottage doors. That makes just as little sense as the Rome example, but it actually happens pretty regularly in the game.

(That never happens in the game, as it shouldn't. You're not mentioning that the city additionally has at least 1000 men garrisoned behind fort walls - a good enough defense to hold 3000 rebels for a while. If it doesn't, it falls, as it should.)

EDIT: Sorry, I assume you mean the people outside the walls from a real life perspective. I missed that originally.

Last edited:
No promises, but some modifications to the .gui files should be enough.

and the level at which buildings become exclusive is scriptable also.

Did i say i love you guys ? :D

Don't they already have that? In fact, one of my favorite spy tactics is waiting for a European competitor to start a new colony and then send over a spy to "Incite Natives." They take out the competitor, gray out the province and I sweep in behind.
That's not what I meant, although it's similar. Incite Natives only works on colonies under 1,000 population where the native population hasn't been massacred. What I'm suggesting in addition to that is that Native Rebels take their place alongside Religious Zealots and Pretender Rebels and Patriot Rebels and all those other kinds, and that instead of force-converting the province or whatever, they reduce it back to its uncolonised state. For realism, they should probably have to occupy the province for a set period, maybe six months or a a year, and provinces with over, say, 5,000 population should be immune. (And yes, any buildings in the province would be destroyed when it goes back to uncolonised.)

For that matter, maybe Religious Zealots should also have to occupy the province for a few months before converting it, rather than doing it instantly. That would answer the complaints about fleeing armies force-converting an unfortified province in a single day.

Though historically speaking, I think people should forget the idea that a "fleeing army" means a group of men jogging along in formation, looking over their shoulders at the enemy army chasing them a few hundred yards behind. A defeated army in this period means that many of the men listed as "killed" in the battle report or as attrition would actually be deserters spreading through the countryside looting and pillaging. If these bandits enter a province that the "victor" has foolishly stripped of its defences and left ungarrisoned, then of course they're going to cause immense disruption and chaos, and take a long time to chase down and suppress.

And if you're planning to conquer an empire of seven unfortified provinces in a single war (and how often does that actually happen, realistically?) then you should also have the foresight to stockpile the maximum number of magistrates before declaring war as well...