• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Look great! You mentioned that certain unique buildings require a particular province feature (grain depot needs grain as trade resource). Could that apply to regular buildings as well, eg a dry dock (as a more advanced naval facility) would need naval supplies in a province?

This diary screams "day 1 purchase" to me. Of course, careful balancing is needed, but now I'm really looking forward to the expansion.

One question Besuchov. (Well multiple questions for one topic! :p)

What happens when you conquer a country's territory that also has a "One Per Country" building?

Do you then end up with 2 of such buildings?

Or is the newly conquered one then destroyed?

Many buildings are marked as destroy_on_conquest and will be destroyed whenever the province changes hands. This also means that you will have to rebuild provinces you conquer somewhat, making quick expansion a bit harder.

Interesting! That's going to require considerable modification to my gameplay - and I like it!
But please tell me you can build a fort without a magistrate... at least a level 1?
No.

'Uniqu buildings', eh?
?

If we need one magistrate per building we build, wont a large colonial empire be left with fewer building (say you have 2-300 provinces). You would need most of the magistrates just for building forts in new provinces...
Yes! Large empires are demanding.

Sounds something like the Civ system, especially with unique buildings standing in for national wonders.

This is going to make the magistrate generation rate of the various government types extremely important. Are we still going to be able to increase the rate that they're generated by provincial decisions, such as road building, or have these too been removed along with post offices, etc?

I'm a little sad to see the end of the city view, but it's hardly the most vital part of the game and this seems like a fair swap.
Road network is a member of the "building family" now.
How many magistrates you gain and how you gain them will be subject to some rebalancing.

Look great! You mentioned that certain unique buildings require a particular province feature (grain depot needs grain as trade resource). Could that apply to regular buildings as well, eg a dry dock (as a more advanced naval facility) would need naval supplies in a province?

I'm not sure we will be doing this for dw, but all buildings have a trigger which needs to be met. (ie this is how we make naval buildings impossible in provinces without ports)
So for modders it'll be possible.

Nice change. Makes these features much more streamlined.
Are decisions gone altogether? It's not possible to utilize them for modding purposes?

Decisions are still there for some things like the HRE. Fear not modders out there.

Many buildings are marked as destroy_on_conquest and will be destroyed whenever the province changes hands. This also means that you will have to rebuild provinces you conquer somewhat, making quick expansion a bit harder.

Excellent!

Thank you Birken! :)

Edit: While you're here, one more question.

Can you have more than one "One Per Country" Building in a single province? (Assuming that province meets the other requirements for such a building.)

Not all province decisions, just many.

On an unrelated note, I don't like having to spend a magistrate to build a fort. Colonial Defence just got a lot more difficult.

Colonial defense should be more difficult though, should it not?

I'm happy with today's Dev Diary! Good Ideas.

What happens to special province decisions such as the staple port in calais? Is this a possible uniqe building for England?

This change looks amazing. I think this will make large empires a lot more interesting to play. In my current Dutch colonial empire game, it seems that I spend far too much time spamming the button for forts, workshops and marketplaces every time I have a bit of cash, and also scrolling down the province decisions list hoping a new decision that isn't Establish March or Yearly Provincial Festivals appears. This change looks like I'll have to put a lot more thought into my buildings and decisions, which I look forward to.

I am really hoping there are less no-brainer decisions and a lot more cost-benefit analysis of one building compared to another. It looks like it's going that way, so I'm pretty excited.

And I never really looked at the city view anyway, so I don't care at all about its removal.