+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Divine Wind - Developer Diary #5

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Look great! You mentioned that certain unique buildings require a particular province feature (grain depot needs grain as trade resource). Could that apply to regular buildings as well, eg a dry dock (as a more advanced naval facility) would need naval supplies in a province?

Nice change. Makes these features much more streamlined.
    Are decisions gone altogether? It's not possible to utilize them for modding purposes?

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    LegioMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

This diary screams "day 1 purchase" to me. Of course, careful balancing is needed, but now I'm really looking forward to the expansion.
    Read my Cuzco MEIOU AAR Children of the Sun! (ongoing)
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

Follow Gentlemen in Germany - a Brunswick AAR! (ongoing)

Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR (ongoing)

WritAAR of the Week 24-5-2011, Fan of the Week 3-12-2009 & 15-1-2012
    Speed - A Castille (mini-?)AAR (finished)
    Took part in the HT Succession Game (finished)

Fangathering Mainstay Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

I'll be getting this day 1, no doubt about it. Haven't played EU3 in forever due to V2 betaing duties, looking forward to getting back into it... gotta be Japan first.

Mastermind Paradox Dev Team Birken's Avatar
    March of the EaglesPirates of Black Cove

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoneGunman View Post
    One question Besuchov. (Well multiple questions for one topic! )

What happens when you conquer a country's territory that also has a "One Per Country" building?

Do you then end up with 2 of such buildings?

Or is the newly conquered one then destroyed?
    Many buildings are marked as destroy_on_conquest and will be destroyed whenever the province changes hands. This also means that you will have to rebuild provinces you conquer somewhat, making quick expansion a bit harder.

Quote Originally Posted by steveh11 View Post
    Interesting! That's going to require considerable modification to my gameplay - and I like it!
    But please tell me you can build a fort without a magistrate... at least a level 1?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRalphWiggum View Post
    'Uniqu buildings', eh?
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by LeifInge View Post
    If we need one magistrate per building we build, wont a large colonial empire be left with fewer building (say you have 2-300 provinces). You would need most of the magistrates just for building forts in new provinces...
    Yes! Large empires are demanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewirix View Post
    Sounds something like the Civ system, especially with unique buildings standing in for national wonders.

This is going to make the magistrate generation rate of the various government types extremely important. Are we still going to be able to increase the rate that they're generated by provincial decisions, such as road building, or have these too been removed along with post offices, etc?

I'm a little sad to see the end of the city view, but it's hardly the most vital part of the game and this seems like a fair swap.
    Road network is a member of the "building family" now.
    How many magistrates you gain and how you gain them will be subject to some rebalancing.

200k clubEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneLegio
    The Kings Crusade500k club

Getting rid of city view is good decision.

I hope we'll hear more about nomadic nations like Mongol Khanate, Oirat Khanate and etc in the next developer diary.

Werewolf Amateur and Diplomacy Beginner .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My AARs at ink well.

Quote Originally Posted by Birken View Post
    ?
    Says 'unique buildings' in the category down the bottom... what is that?

Quote Originally Posted by hambut_bulge View Post
    Look great! You mentioned that certain unique buildings require a particular province feature (grain depot needs grain as trade resource). Could that apply to regular buildings as well, eg a dry dock (as a more advanced naval facility) would need naval supplies in a province?
    I'm not sure we will be doing this for dw, but all buildings have a trigger which needs to be met. (ie this is how we make naval buildings impossible in provinces without ports)
    So for modders it'll be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Romtos View Post
    Nice change. Makes these features much more streamlined.
    Are decisions gone altogether? It's not possible to utilize them for modding purposes?
    Decisions are still there for some things like the HRE. Fear not modders out there.

Project Lead EU4 Paradox Dev Team Besuchov's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacy
    East India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Galactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIILost Empire - ImmortalsMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Naval War: Arctic CirclePenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

Same as 'One Per Country'

Those are the one per country buildings.

DONT TREAD ON ME Moderator TheLoneGunman's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron Cross
    King Arthur IIThe Kings CrusadeMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Many buildings are marked as destroy_on_conquest and will be destroyed whenever the province changes hands. This also means that you will have to rebuild provinces you conquer somewhat, making quick expansion a bit harder.
    Excellent!

Thank you Birken!

Edit: While you're here, one more question.

Can you have more than one "One Per Country" Building in a single province? (Assuming that province meets the other requirements for such a building.)
    "also most of paradox rise as a successful company can be attributed to the motivating powers of "Mr Nibbles", a vicious old platypus specimen Johan keep locked in a drawer. Whenever a programmer isn't working fast enough, or introduces a bug Mr Nibbles is let out of the box to give the perpetrator a nasty bite." - podcat

50 games registered

Not all province decisions, just many.

On an unrelated note, I don't like having to spend a magistrate to build a fort. Colonial Defence just got a lot more difficult.
    AARs:
    Barrett's Privateers - A Nova Scotia Victoria AAR - Dead. Planned for resurrection

Mods:

Second Modernity
    Explore the years 2036 to 2136 with this mod of Victoria II
    In production
    ------
    [QUOTE_32N]

Quote Originally Posted by Besuchov View Post
    Same as 'One Per Country'
    Those are the one per country buildings.
    Cheers

Decisions are still there for some things like the HRE. Fear not modders out there.
    Hehe, good news. While the new 'fused' system is an improvement the decision system had a certain simplicity and versatility to it, that it would be a shame to abandon it altogether.

DONT TREAD ON ME Moderator TheLoneGunman's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron Cross
    King Arthur IIThe Kings CrusadeMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Verenti View Post
    Not all province decisions, just many.

On an unrelated note, I don't like having to spend a magistrate to build a fort. Colonial Defence just got a lot more difficult.
    Colonial defense should be more difficult though, should it not?
    "also most of paradox rise as a successful company can be attributed to the motivating powers of "Mr Nibbles", a vicious old platypus specimen Johan keep locked in a drawer. Whenever a programmer isn't working fast enough, or introduces a bug Mr Nibbles is let out of the box to give the perpetrator a nasty bite." - podcat

I'm happy with today's Dev Diary! Good Ideas.

What happens to special province decisions such as the staple port in calais? Is this a possible uniqe building for England?

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

This is looking very nice indeed

Darkest Hour Team & Lead GFX Inner Circle's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLegioThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Does that mean that those unique Buildings will be also destroyed when you inherit or Diplo-Annex another Nation?

DARKEST HOUR
    1914-1963 Grand Strategy Game

This change looks amazing. I think this will make large empires a lot more interesting to play. In my current Dutch colonial empire game, it seems that I spend far too much time spamming the button for forts, workshops and marketplaces every time I have a bit of cash, and also scrolling down the province decisions list hoping a new decision that isn't Establish March or Yearly Provincial Festivals appears. This change looks like I'll have to put a lot more thought into my buildings and decisions, which I look forward to.

I am really hoping there are less no-brainer decisions and a lot more cost-benefit analysis of one building compared to another. It looks like it's going that way, so I'm pretty excited.

And I never really looked at the city view anyway, so I don't care at all about its removal.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Sounds just awesome.
    1914-1964 - the Ultimate Strategy Game

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast