• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes. I inadvertently let them rot in Liege for a few months until I realised that they were still showing up in the armies list. Oopsie. :D
Good you've found them. Without them the Regents' position would be much more vulnerable. :)

Thus far I have tended to regard the Netherlands as good and faithful allies, the guarantors of Calais-Normandy against French aggression. Hopefully that won't change for a while.
Hope so too. But past some strength limit they tend to aggressively try to go after the entire Low Lands. I understand you're no longer allied to them?

Malta is actually something of a priority since (game-wise) it has a decent fortress and is a royal pain in the a** to siege—unlike Kent, or the non-island Scottish provinces. I definitely do not want to lose it.
Well, islands are very special in this game. Even more so in the mod. A few times I made the most of having them. Actually, in my Danzig aar the whole survival strategy was based on grabbing Oesel asap (even though realistically I can hardly imagine the defensibility of Oesel would really matter, especially early in the timeframe, to save Danzig.)

I did consider negotiating with the rebels initially, but even the "light" terms would have messed with the sliders too much. From the RP perspective the regents would never have negotiated unless they were in a serious bind. The army's far away but mostly intact, so there's not much motivation to give in without a fight.
I understand the RP argument. But I don't think negotiations affect sliders that much. (You know I refer to the pop-up option of either crushing or negotiating with the rebel nobles and not the surrender to them 'religious' decision.) Mild concessions give some trivial long-term penalties and cost a one-step move towards decentralisation, not that harsh imo (in fact, weren't it for AE issues, I'd find centralisation a bit overrated).

I must always stick to the original plan, I'm more than happy to accept and roll with game-driven diversions to a certain extent, but not to the point that they completely overshadow the "1815 Empire" plan.
Not that many steps have been taken so far towards the "1815 Empire" direction...

Ah...the bear. And rebel provinces...wretched hives of scum and villany etc etc
Whatever happens I'm sure it'll be entertaining for me :)...you, perhaps, not so much:unsure:

It'll be entertaining, though the span of the updates (i.e. years covered) will shrink slightly because a lot of things start happening in quick succession. Especially with the Reformation right around the corner, too.

Hope so too. But past some strength limit they tend to aggressively try to go after the entire Low Lands. I understand you're no longer allied to them?

Ugh. That's some welcome news. :unsure: I would love it if the Dutch went after the Emperor-held Low Countries... Calais and Artois, not so much.

I understand the RP argument. But I don't think negotiations affect sliders that much. (You know I refer to the pop-up option of either crushing or negotiating with the rebel nobles and not the surrender to them 'religious' decision.) Mild concessions give some trivial long-term penalties and cost a one-step move towards decentralisation, not that harsh imo (in fact, weren't it for AE issues, I'd find centralisation a bit overrated).

You're correct, it would be a smarter move in terms of gameplay. Unfortunately, I had forgotten that with the Reformation around the corner, some moves toward Decentralisation are actually desirable. But what's done is done. :huh:

Not that many steps have been taken so far towards the "1815 Empire" direction...

Well, preoccupation with the Continent is a Lancastrian fixation (and I have tried to RP that thus far); but there are others who want the kingdom to move in a different direction, and their day approaches. ;)

It'll be entertaining, though the span of the updates (i.e. years covered) will shrink slightly because a lot of things start happening in quick succession. Especially with the Reformation right around the corner, too.
Ah yes a troublesome priest and the doctrine of reformation. Excellent on the entertaining part!!!

Ugh. That's some welcome news. :unsure: I would love it if the Dutch went after the Emperor-held Low Countries... Calais and Artois, not so much.
Ah the Dutch... Always looking for more than the seven provinces.

You're correct, it would be a smarter move in terms of gameplay. Unfortunately, I had forgotten that with the Reformation around the corner, some moves toward Decentralisation are actually desirable. But what's done is done. :huh:
Indeed, I am interested to see how the Reformation plays out in this Europe...if it starts in the periphery of Europe rather than its bratwurst loving center.
Well, preoccupation with the Continent is a Lancastrian fixation (and I have tried to RP that thus far); but there are others who want the kingdom to move in a different direction, and their day approaches. ;)
A different outlook for the soon to be Empire. And as a counterpoint to Gabor, at least you have the Rock and Malta...for now.
tum de tum

Last edited:
I just read the latest chapter again, and i noriced that out of the English forces currently in the Lowcountries the Royal Army is the most numerous despite it being severly bashed. I makes me wonder where the massive casualties in the other armies are comming from. I find it hard to believe that 6000 men could suffers any severe attrition.

I just read the latest chapter again, and i noriced that out of the English forces currently in the Lowcountries the Royal Army is the most numerous despite it being severly bashed. I makes me wonder where the massive casualties in the other armies are comming from. I find it hard to believe that 6000 men could suffers any severe attrition.

I think it boils down to the fact that 1) England's manpower sucks to begin with, 2) the Noble Opposition imposes manpower reductions [-20%], 3) my angry Aristocratic faction imposes a manpower penalty and 4) the Royal Army was left alone for several months and did not manoeuvre or fight, so it is the only army whose numbers increased.

The other armies are not bleeding out due to mortal combat, but the number of guys coming from the manpower pool (5-700 per month) is not enough to reinforce all 6 armies at once. Effectively I can only reinforce one army at a time, and the Royal Army was at the top of the (game-determined) list.

Without getting too spoilery, I can tell you that some of the units took near to a decade to recover from the war.

Last edited:
I am really looking forward to your next expansionary period; especially if it is as cool as the period under Jane; I understand the realism/inevitability of troubles in Magna Mundi, but I find them a bit less fun to read

I just discovered this AAR a short while ago and was afraid that I was too late to comment. I'm glad to see that I'm not because this is without doubt the most entertaining and well written AAR that I've read to date. Thank you for all of the hard work that you've put into this. I especially like the footnotes at the end of the update with the RL history and events. Thanks again!

First of all, this is such a fantastic read. I look forward eagerly to each and every update.

I'd be interested in getting your assorted mods and personal tweaks in one package; your customized MMU sounds like a lot of fun, and I'd like to try it out.

I am really looking forward to your next expansionary period; especially if it is as cool as the period under Jane; I understand the realism/inevitability of troubles in Magna Mundi, but I find them a bit less fun to read

I like expansion too; but regrettably expansion will be tough to do in the near term, if only because the Regency's stats are so miserable. :sad:

I just discovered this AAR a short while ago and was afraid that I was too late to comment. I'm glad to see that I'm not because this is without doubt the most entertaining and well written AAR that I've read to date. Thank you for all of the hard work that you've put into this. I especially like the footnotes at the end of the update with the RL history and events. Thanks again!

Thanks, ar_confederate, your praise is much appreciated! :blush:

First of all, this is such a fantastic read. I look forward eagerly to each and every update. I'd be interested in getting your assorted mods and personal tweaks in one package; your customized MMU sounds like a lot of fun, and I'd like to try it out.

I do actually have a packaged mod for my own use—it is easier to unzip a .zip file into the mod/MMU folder than painstakingly re-create all the 60 million steps I took over the course of a couple years. The only hurdles are 1) the instructions are out of date, since I never expected anyone but me to need them, and 2) it incorporates the work of several modders/mod teams, and I would need to get in touch with them and obtain their permission before redistributing their work.

I will make a deal with you though, I will look into releasing this quasi-mini-mod once the next update has been completed and posted.

Well, I have just discovered this AAR too. Spent the last few days reading it through and what can I say? Extraordinary, amazing, fantastic. Probably one of the best, or even THE best I have read to date. I'm eagerly looking forward to the next update and I hope you keep up the excellent work! Congratulations! And I believe the Lancasters days are not finished yet!

I do actually have a packaged mod for my own use—it is easier to unzip a .zip file into the mod/MMU folder than painstakingly re-create all the 60 million steps I took over the course of a couple years. The only hurdles are 1) the instructions are out of date, since I never expected anyone but me to need them, and 2) it incorporates the work of several modders/mod teams, and I would need to get in touch with them and obtain their permission before redistributing their work.

I will make a deal with you though, I will look into releasing this quasi-mini-mod once the next update has been completed and posted.

Just as long as it does not in any way delay or prevent future updates. I needs my fix.

This one seems dead... Sad... :(

It's not dead, but I am ashamed to admit it is suffering from neglect. The graphics have been done since the end of February, I've just been a little devoid of motivation. I can't promise a posting date, but I can say that it was a whole lot of fun to play (and I have at least been playing through the Reformation, quite recently).

Here is a little preview of the kinds of things that will be in the next update, whenever it finally arrives:

regencypreview1.jpg

regencypreview2.jpg

regencypreview3.jpg

Thanks, Chris, just wanted to hear something from you. I'm really glad, that this awesome read is still "under construction":) Hope that you will find your motivation again :)

Yeah, until Magna Mundi the game, this is pretty much the sole reason I still check these forums 2-3 times a week - for the fantastic story told herein

Really glad this isn´t dead. Im really looking forward to the next update with the massive rebellion and the upcomming reformation it looks to be a rather messy timeperiod.

This is absolutely amazing, I love reading History-styled AARs, and yours blew me out of the water with its incredible depth and thought that you put into this. I can't wait for the next segment, and to see how fair old England does. You've given me a lot of tips for my Magna Mundi games, and I can't wait to try them out (in exactly five minutes after I post this :p). Hope you get your inspiration back soon!