+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Porta Atlanticum, Portus Classis / An England MMU AAR

previous mm member
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

inspiring

It seems that you have inspired at least three otehr AAR's in similar style.... very nice!
    Previous MM tester
    Newly addicted to Veritas et Fortitudo

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I don't check this forum as much as I should, but one thing remains clear; this is the best history book AAR I've ever seen, bar none.

Congrats!
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Ashantai View Post
    I don't check this forum as much as I should,
    No, you don't.

but one thing remains clear; this is the best history book AAR I've ever seen, bar none.
    Yes, it is.
    AAR in progress
    Yet this will go onward the same: the Yamato Destiny - Continuation of the last AAR in Victoria 2. Last updated 17th October 2012

Completed AAR
    The Yamato Destiny: A Japan HTTT AAR

Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

<_< Yeah...I'm working on that part.

Unfortunately various beta patches and such killed my latest save game...so I guess I'd need another rejig anyway.

Regardless, excellent work, Chris!
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

Fantastic read. Not just an amazing AAR, but great writing in general.

previous mm member
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

time

so, how many hours per update does this normally take to do a high quality one like you are doing?
    Previous MM tester

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBob View Post
    Nice progress. Really, really, ridiculously well written sendoff for William there. Thumbs UP.
    Thanks, BigBadBob. I had fun writing that little scene too.

When William started his reign, I thought he would be just your run-of-the-mill mediocre-stat king. Then various major powers got involved in Turkey and forced me to get involved too, lest Greece end up a patchwork of many nations (as in gabor's Single Men Papal State AAR).

I figured William deserved an epic sendoff due to the crusade alone, even though he was nothing special stat-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by thekonkoe View Post
    I have had two monarchs with a 9 stat, and that is after playing a ton of manga mundi, one was a pretender that seized the throne as Mongol Horde and the other was an incredible 8,9,7 as Genoa, so while not technically a monarch he still ruled for life, though sadly a short ten year reign. Really tested my conviction not to reload. I could be wrong but when they do happen they seem to have all good stats not just the nine.
    You are a more fortunate soul than me, then. I've experienced the 3-3-3 low end of the scale, but had all but forgotten that the top end doesn't end at 7 or 8.

Quote Originally Posted by blsteen View Post
    Too bad William didn't see the end of the Crusade. Henry looks like he'll be a good king to end the Crusade with a victory and keep a steady hand on the tiller if he listens to mom. I liked the colonial update as well, too bad about the pirate scum.
    Yeah, it is kind of a shame; he only missed it by a month. C'est la guerre.

Quote Originally Posted by Merrick Chance' View Post
    Frankly I'm surprised that Merrick is a real name
    You mean Merrick Chance' isn't your real name?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweboy View Post
    Again a truly epic update. Love the Kalmar Union references but am slightly worried that seem to have forgotten so much of my homelands history that I cant remember who was in charge after Sten Sture the Older. Svante Nilson doesn't ring a bell but I might know the historic one by his dynastic name rather than his father's. And oh yes. I did vote for you
    I am no expert on Scandinavian history, but what I have read so far suggests that Svante Nilsson (sometimes called Svante Nilsson Sture) did indeed succeed Sten Sture den äldre as Regent of Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Legosim View Post
    Just read this over the last two days. Just have to say fantastic job man, especially the maps and other images. Lookin' forward to the next update!
    Quote Originally Posted by flame7926 View Post
    Another great update. this is an amazing aar, best ive ever seen,
    Quote Originally Posted by thehollowman View Post
    Fantastic read. Not just an amazing AAR, but great writing in general.
    Thank you fellas; much appreciated. And thanks also to everyone who took the time to vote for this AAR in the AARland Choice AwAARds!

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredian View Post
    Once the crusade is over it will be interesting to see whether the new monarch can resist further eastern advantures.
    It will be a challenge, certainly. The growth of Byzantium (geographically and politically) is bound to create tensions within the union, as it threatens to displace Scotland and Ireland as the next-most-senior realm.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Taylor View Post
    There's no money or babes in writing AARs
    This is terrible news!
    It is indeed. Not sure if expanding one's knowledge of history is compensation enough, really.

Quote Originally Posted by JWSIII View Post
    It seems that you have inspired at least three otehr AAR's in similar style.... very nice!
    I'd be lying if I said I wasn't honoured and pleased.

Just last week I was lamenting to CJL78 that MMU was the last gasp of MM modding for EU3, and that I would be sad to see the mod (and the AARs) die out.

Well, I am happy to see there's life in the old girl yet. More MM AARs can only be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashantai View Post
    <_< Yeah...I'm working on that part.

Unfortunately various beta patches and such killed my latest save game...so I guess I'd need another rejig anyway.
    Aw, shoot. Well, whenever you get to it, I am eagerly awaiting the further adventures of Talena in your Eternal Exile AAR.

That goes for you too, Dewirix! I hope the EU3->V2 conversion of The Yamato Destiny is proceeding apace. Though if not, I understand; surely it's a massive amount of effort. If I ever get to 1820 in this game, I may hit you up for hints and caveats about converting EU3 games to V2.

Quote Originally Posted by JWSIII View Post
    so, how many hours per update does this normally take to do a high quality one like you are doing?
    You really want to know?

I don't know about the hour count, but the rough sequence of events "under the hood" goes something like this:
    1. Examine screenshots, see which ones are related, and/or can be composited together. When the tally of anticipated screenshots reaches 19, that's the end of the update. (One image is always the end-of-update coat of arms.)

2. Comb "teh intarwebs" for illustrations to the above screenshots.

3. Compile text list of all in-game events (great and small) in the update's span of years. Group related events together as segment divided by the underline spacer. Cut events that cannot be fit into a larger theme, or ones that expand the post without adding sufficient story/background value.

4. Research actual historical events occuring within update's timeframe. (Alternately, research historical events that bear a resemblance to in-game events, regardless of time period). Find commonalities and work them into the story for plausibility/flavour.

5. Write a segment or two every couple of days.

6. Before commencing work on a new segment, re-read all previous segments and edit or adjust as desired.

7. Re-edit any images/illustrations that need to be adjusted in light of storyline changes.

8. When update is finished, let it sit for a day (or a few hours at minimum), then re-read and edit again prior to posting.

9. Post update. Refresh thread obsessively, hoping for new comments.

10. Profit?
    ex libris Christophori Sartorii, Equitis Ordinis Roberti Magni et Intimidati (OLIR),
    Fan of the week: 27 August 2011 & 27 February 2012

PORTA ATLANTICUM, PORTUS CLASSIS ~ Gate of the Atlantic, Port of the Fleet ~ an England MMU AAR
    WritAAR of the week: 21 Nov 2010 ~ AARland Choice AwAARds (EU History-Book): Q4 2010, Q2, Q3 2011, Q1 2012 (shared) ~ Weekly AAR Showcase: 3 Oct 2011 ~ Lord Strange Cookie of British Awesomeness

previous mm member

lol

"9. Post update. Refresh thread obsessively, hoping for new comments.

10. Profit?"

well, I was actually curious about the total hours 'cuz I was curious as to what the "value" of your post would be, even presuming it was only worth minimum wage... I swear I am not trying to be a jackanapes, but I just don't care about the process you use to make your awesome updates any more than I care about how industrial light and magic makes movies look awesome lol... I just wanted to know if the "price" of an update was low enough that I could buy one
    'Cuz I will totally mail you a check for $50 if you do an extra off-schedule update

In the alternative, if number 9 is an accurate reflection of your desired rewards, I will totally make posts about how awesome a writer you are all the time lol; 'cuz that is true as well
    Previous MM tester

Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III Collection

And this is why its great...
    I was Sir blsteen, Knight of the Eastern West... in :One Last HurRAAh: A Milanese Empire Interactive AAR:

I was FOTW 11/25/09 and 9/12/10

Third time lucky and all that, I hope eventually to continue it.

The work you put into this is monumental. Congrats, sir, as I said before.

Might I ask how far ahead of each update you've played?

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome Gold
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I can relate completely to obsessively reloading a large post to see if anyone has commented.
    Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Ancestor Moth scribe for CK 2: Elder Kings - can you rival Tiber Septim's power?
    Burgundy: A Dream of Lotharingia (a Death & Taxes AAR - in torpor)
    The Three Certainties of Life (a Byzantine D&T AAR - updated 19.02.14)

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Waiting for more awesomness... But I can understand reasons why this one is delayed...thats OK - better later, but better )

this AAR is WIN!
    love it! your writing skills are amazing

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Just wondering something. How can William get the title "Crusader" When your previous queen (Mary or Jane, I forgot.) called an end to English crusades?
    Last edited by Rifal; 31-07-2011 at 04:29.
    WritAAR of the week 08-09-2011

My AAR: The Polestar.

"Safety first, Humans second"-TSE

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by Rifal View Post
    Just wondering something. How can William get the title "Crusader" When you previous queen (Mary or Jane, I forgot.) called an end to English crusades?
    I'd imagine it would be the "My reign, my rules" monarchs usually have (or had). Jane/Mary may have denounced Crusades, but William sure as heck didn't.
    Sir Robert, OLIR, Sovereign of the Order of the Large and Intimidating Robert
    Knights of the Order: TemplarComander, loki100, Enewald, Chris Taylor, Nathan Madien, Svip, Slan, (Mr.) Capiatlist, LeCare, Redandwhite, ThunderHawk3
    Ever wanted to become President? Now you have the chance in The Presidents: 1836 - 1936 - An Interactive US AAR!
    Current President: Richard A. Jarvis (R)
    Current V-President: William Gallatin (R)

Joseph Henry Harrison (1903 - 19??), General, US Army, ret.
    My Inkwell

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by Rifal View Post
    Just wondering something. How can William get the title "Crusader" When you previous queen (Mary or Jane, I forgot.) called an end to English crusades?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBob View Post
    I'd imagine it would be the "My reign, my rules" monarchs usually have (or had). Jane/Mary may have denounced Crusades, but William sure as heck didn't.
    A little bit of that, sure, but also convention and tradition.

No US president since Franklin Roosevelt has sought an official declaration of war from Congress, yet we still refer to the Korean War, Vietnam War, Gulf War, et cetera. The presidents since 1945 have generally followed the pro forma requirement to seek authorisation from Congress, but stayed away from formal declarations. By tradition and custom we refer to these conflicts as de facto wars, even if by de jure nomenclature, they aren't.

But to the boots on the ground, they sure seem like any other "official" war, and we use all the warfare terms we normally would when describing them. The only real difference comes in terms of compensation. In a declared war, or one with Congressional authorisation, the DoD can pay higher rates for hazardous duty in a combat zone. This is something the guys flying missions over Libya today are missing, for example, because that area is not recognised as a combat zone.

In William's case, he did not declare an official crusade owing to Mary's precedent (this is why I also stayed away from selecting the Holy War CB... though mainly it was because the Holy Trade War CB gave me an infamy reduction on taking Corfu). But the nature of the conflict and the end result were, by any measure, a crusade in all but name. Think of it as William's sleight-of-hand for getting funding for a crusade without having to come out and admit that it was one.

This is something I alluded to in the post where it began, too:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Taylor View Post
    Because Queen Mary had declared the end of English crusading in 1479, the official fiction is that the war will protect Byzantine-English commerce, and punish longstanding Ottoman support of Berber piracy. But anyone who can read a map knows that the real goal is to grab Turkish territory in Greece before Castile and Denmark can do so.
    Last edited by Chris Taylor; 31-07-2011 at 02:49. Reason: Added quote.
    ex libris Christophori Sartorii, Equitis Ordinis Roberti Magni et Intimidati (OLIR),
    Fan of the week: 27 August 2011 & 27 February 2012

PORTA ATLANTICUM, PORTUS CLASSIS ~ Gate of the Atlantic, Port of the Fleet ~ an England MMU AAR
    WritAAR of the week: 21 Nov 2010 ~ AARland Choice AwAARds (EU History-Book): Q4 2010, Q2, Q3 2011, Q1 2012 (shared) ~ Weekly AAR Showcase: 3 Oct 2011 ~ Lord Strange Cookie of British Awesomeness

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Fair enough
    WritAAR of the week 08-09-2011

My AAR: The Polestar.

"Safety first, Humans second"-TSE

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEuropa Universalis IV

i'm thinking of doing my own AAR yet i can't think of any way of getting screenshots up. I'm using steam and was wondering if you could give some advice.
    Also whens the next update inbound.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Finally caught up with this amazing AAR. I really cant praise it enough, but all you need to know is that you are among the best writers here.

Also, are you going to abandon you continental holdings, and live in "splendid isolation?" as your original goal was 1815 borders?

Comte de Purchase Merrick Chance''s Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Rise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

My god man, my writing style is

1.Read relevant (IE period) history throughout
    2.Play the game every so often
    3.In one sitting, sit down with either a coffee or a red wine and a cigarette and write the whole darn thing

Props to wayyy more effort, it really shows!
    Enough! You talk of the people's rights. The people only have those rights that I choose to give them, and that is for their own good, believe me--Dr.Doom

"Don't get me wrong, I am a strong fan of historical AARs and I believe that yours is the best I have ever read" --Ar7
    "This is /amazing/"--Scrollreader
    The Lords of Prussia: from feudalism to modernity: a Magna Mundi historybook AAR

"I was a fan of Lords of Prussia and your French sequel is just as good if not even better." --Jape
    Lords of France: Roads to the Enlightenment: A Magna Mundi historybook AAR

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast