• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The coat of arms is certainly splendid. I liked the acquisition of Malta too - you're still working towards your goal of historical 19th-century English possessions.

The Byzantine Empire, less so. :D You now have to be wary of the Ottomans, the French and Castille, which might be too much to handle. Having said that, the fleet and the vassalisation of Scotland leaves you nigh-invulnerable from serious threats at home.

Very good update.
And - frankly - the final map showing Europe in 1470 is a masterpiece: I've spent 2 minutes only on it.

This AAR really has become an absolute history-book masterpiece. The map is a jewel.

Thank you both! I don't mind saying that of all the maps I've worked on so far, that one is also my favourite. Getting the country boundaries and colours right took a day or two of serious work.

A most excellent update! Good job with your war in France and I'm really surprised about you getting into a personal union with Byzantium. I love how you changed the coat of arms to signify that. Your small details such as that (and your map, among other things) is much appreciated!

Thanks. The union was a big surprise to me too—especially since it created a massive storyline and gameplay headache. It is kind of the EU3 equivalent of teen pregnancy; RMs are all fun and games until you end up responsible for some kingdom on the other side of the world that upsets all your geopolitical calculations, is generally messy, doesn't know how to play nice with others, and is always screaming for your attention while you're trying to do something else. :p

I did have a lot of fun putting the arms together, though; conjectural "what if" heraldry can be entertaining.

The coat of arms is certainly splendid. I liked the acquisition of Malta too - you're still working towards your goal of historical 19th-century English possessions.

The Byzantine Empire, less so. :D You now have to be wary of the Ottomans, the French and Castille, which might be too much to handle. Having said that, the fleet and the vassalisation of Scotland leaves you nigh-invulnerable from serious threats at home.

The Byzantine PU presents several problems for me. From a roleplay perspective I believe Jane would want to retain her husband's realm and govern it capably. But from a gameplay perspective there is no way I want to be tied down in the eastern Med. Byzantium is eating AE points that will soon be needed for colonies. And while I don't mind helping the Greeks become militarily self-sufficient against the Ottomans, I would also like the freedom to walk away from the Balkan mess if/when it becomes too big a drain on men, ships and money.

As you have surmised—and as the next update will show—France, Castile and Turkey are indeed a highly dangerous power trio.

A fantastic update. I was hooked from the first paragraph. You do an excellent job of merging the game play into your narrative. This is a skill that I envy, and which keeps me reading. Beautiful graphics, but it is your writing which always keeps me hopeful for an update.

It's back!

And it... is... Awesome. Great update. Nobody cares they take long when they're this good.

Just five months after the beginning of the war, the Court of St. Denis realises that their situation is quickly deteriorating. One-third of the French army has been neutralised due to enemy action; Paris, Rouen and Caen are under siege; (...) Emissaries are sent to the English generals with offers of peace status quo ante, but the offers are quickly dismissed.
Oh, the cheekiness of AI!

With her armies critically weakened, France's opportunistic neighbours can sense her frailty. Aragon and Lorraine declare war in April, citing Louis XI's excommunication as their casus belli.
Oh, the opportunism of AI!

"Ioanna... Agglia."
So it turns out Conatantie was a bigamist! I sort of felt it will come to that. Very shaky a union it seems to be, especially as Jane is past her prime too; how old is she now btw? And two completely different traditions. Catholic parliamentary maritime Empire on the rise versus Orthodox aristocracy-driven despotic ancient Empire that is falling apart. Add to this geographic distance... Gives headache.

Queen Juana I de Trastámara (a rather formidable ADM 9/DIP 9/MIL 9 monarch) is furious.
A worthy opponent.

Unfortunately, the Genoese have much greater success in shutting down lines of communication and commerce between London and Constantinople. The island of Malta stands astride the sea lanes,
How did the Genoese come to possess the island?

Though Constantine has been dead three years, he haunts the palace still—his face peers out from mosaics, icons and diptychs; his signature and seal are on countless documents; even some of his clothing is still carefully folded in the elaborate cassones that adorn the imperial chambers.
Old love dies hard. Loved this passage.

The past decade's wars in the Mediterranean have underlined the importance of Gibraltar as a strategic port and supply depot. Some 62 years after its capture, the constant influx of English soldiers and sailors has gradually given The Rock the character of an English seaport. (Gibraltar becomes a core province.)
Are you thinking of out-racing the Portuguese to Brasil now that Gibraltar has cored? Doable I think as in your early start Portugal begins without Navigador and might simply not get/take an advisor good enough to enact the exploration route decision.

Sadly, that sunny confidence is barely warranted, for English preeminence in western Europe will start to evaporate in less than a decade.
Hard time for Jane, Mary and you -> interesting stories for your readaars. :) Shouldn't the Empress try to vassalise/inherit Lancastrian Cyprus now, btw? ;)

Very shaky a union it seems to be, especially as Jane is past her prime too; how old is she now btw? And two completely different traditions. Catholic parliamentary maritime Empire on the rise versus Orthodox aristocracy-driven despotic ancient Empire that is falling apart. Add to this geographic distance... Gives headache.

Jane is 54 now (born in 1416). I would expect the union to last through her reign, as she would not want to unduly antagonise the Greeks. But a generation later, I wouldn't expect the English monarchs to be nearly so considerate. In my mind there is no question the Greeks are getting the better end of the deal; protection from the Turks on land, protection from Berber piracy at sea, a monarch that isn't bankrupt and can afford to start paying down Byzantium's huge debt, not having to hire a navy of Venetian and Genoese galleys at confiscatory rates, not even having to submit to the Pope for all these benefits, either. And in return England gets... A tiny trickle of money, better scholars, and a fancy new title? Hmmm.

How did the Genoese come to possess the island?

In the early 15th century (1414-1418) a bunch of Italian wars redrew the map of the boot. I don't remember all the details because my screenshots of that time don't focus on the Med. Naples attacked Sicily with Genoa's help; Genoa took Malta, Naples took the eastern half of Sicily. The Papal States got drawn in as a defender, and took most of mainland Naples. I skipped over the details but did mention lots of Italian land changing hands in this post. After the big intra-Italian slap fight everything calmed down and aside from another Papal-Neapolitan war the peninsula has looked that way ever since.

Are you thinking of out-racing the Portuguese to Brasil now that Gibraltar has cored? Doable I think as in your early start Portugal begins without Navigador and might simply not get/take an advisor good enough to enact the exploration route decision.

If I were not trying to hew to the historically-colonised areas it would be tempting. I don't think it is doable in any event though as Portugal is a couple of naval tech levels ahead of everyone else and thus will almost certainly get the decision first.

Shouldn't the Empress try to vassalise/inherit Lancastrian Cyprus now, btw?

I would like Cyprus as the eastern Med naval depot, but so far their monarch diplo ratings have been high enough to render that chance minute.

Last edited:
Cyprus would be a nice base to watch over the Balkans, even if in OTL they didn't pick it up until 1878. And really, I don't think that the situation is as cheery for the Byzantines as you make out. Being out on the end of the stick like they are, the next time that the Brits and French dance the dance, the RN and army will be called home and leave the Byz provinces alone. Then it will be time for the Turks to call...or visa versa even. British forces will be spread thin and then it will be blood in the water time. Let alone what will happen with the succession.

... really, I don't think that the situation is as cheery for the Byzantines as you make out. (...) British forces will be spread thin and then it will be blood in the water time.

Okay, it's not all wine and roses for them, either. :D I have a lot fewer troops than I would like to allocate across several broad fronts; unfortunately I can't really afford to have more than I do (and still have some money to spare for infrastructure). But on the whole, I still think BYZ winds up better off in a PU with a major than if they were trying to deter the Turks all by themselves. The only downside is that some day they might get the "be Catholic or get your teeth kicked in" order from on high. And they'd be getting that anyway, if they kept going to the Pope for crusades/military assistance.

This was well worth the wait. A most excellent update. The PU was quite a surprise. Didn't see that coming.

Can you break it or is it something that was to do with the relationship with the two nations.

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. The PU is breakable but it will take some effort, since they have been granted religious autonomy and that more or less guarantees positive relations. Basically I'll have fewer diplomats at my disposal as a lot of them will have to be spent on insults, counteracting the effect of the autonomy relations bonus.

NOTE: Looking back on the update now, I also realise that I have used incorrect economic values (and I'm not entirely sure where they came from)! I have corrected the GDP and CoT values accordingly, they now reflect the April 1470 numbers. I also added Constantinople's CoT value just for fun (it's "domestic" now, after all).

Last edited:
That was an awesome update, I enjoyed it very much. I haven't commented in a while, but somehow reading this AAR always helps to put my stressed mind at ease, so thanks a lot for your efforts.

Very interesting developments, too. Don't you plan to abolish serfdom to make better use of the Bill of Rights (AE bonus)? Well, maybe that would be too many reforms for one queen.

Okay, it's not all wine and roses for them, either. :D I have a lot fewer troops than I would like to allocate across several broad fronts; unfortunately I can't really afford to have more than I do (and still have some money to spare for infrastructure). But on the whole, I still think BYZ winds up better off in a PU with a major than if they were trying to deter the Turks all by themselves. The only downside is that some day they might get the "be Catholic or get your teeth kicked in" order from on high. And they'd be getting that anyway, if they kept going to the Pope for crusades/military assistance.
Bah, what kind of imperialist conquerer are you...infrastructure, next you'll be talking about stimulus spending, then the deficit.
BYZ short term does end up in a better situation but...long term if they can't get their feet underneath them, the British will eventually pull an "East of Suez" moment, an East of Malta moment if you will, perhaps leaving them high and dry when they'll need the support the most. Or maybe not, who know's what the great forces of history could allow.

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. The PU is breakable but it will take some effort, since they have been granted religious autonomy and that more or less guarantees positive relations. Basically I'll have fewer diplomats at my disposal as a lot of them will have to be spent on insults, counteracting the effect of the autonomy relations bonus.
Insults...after watching Malurous pine away for a inheritance in his Inca AAR, I find this enormously amusing.:D But, I'm like that.;)

A fabulous (and huge) update. I can see why it took you a while. That would have taken about six months at my own frenetic speed.

That was an awesome update, I enjoyed it very much. I haven't commented in a while, but somehow reading this AAR always helps to put my stressed mind at ease, so thanks a lot for your efforts.

Very interesting developments, too. Don't you plan to abolish serfdom to make better use of the Bill of Rights (AE bonus)? Well, maybe that would be too many reforms for one queen.

Thank you Urza. I've been lurking in your Bohemia MMP AAR and enjoy it, too. Watching the strategems and tactics of other MM players is always educational.

I do plan to move the sliders from serfdom to free men at some point. Most recently I was trying to concentrate on reducing the power of the aristocracy in a feeble attempt to lessen the penalties I get nailed with for making them cry. But it appears that I will just have to live with their anger.

Bah, what kind of imperialist conquerer are you...infrastructure, next you'll be talking about stimulus spending, then the deficit.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I draw the line at universal peasant healthcare, though. Not enough barbers in the land.

BYZ short term does end up in a better situation but...long term if they can't get their feet underneath them, the British will eventually pull an "East of Suez" moment, an East of Malta moment if you will, perhaps leaving them high and dry when they'll need the support the most.

I think it's inevitable that this will happen. When I got the PU I was momentarily happy ("Wow! Now I can inherit Constantinople, and sell the rest off to some Balkan minor"). But then I realised I didn't want to spend the rest of the game at war with the Turks.

Insults...after watching Malurous pine away for a inheritance in his Inca AAR, I find this enormously amusing.:D But, I'm like that.;)

The worst PU I ever had was several MM versions ago, as a defender of the Protestant faith who gained a PU with the defender of the Catholic faith. What a nightmare of diplomat-spamming it was to try and hang on to that.

A fabulous (and huge) update. I can see why it took you a while. That would have taken about six months at my own frenetic speed.

Thanks, Alfredian. I learned my lesson; I started working on images and story for the next update as soon as the last one was posted.

I draw the line at universal peasant healthcare, though. Not enough barbers in the land.
:D
But then you can get the barber's guild to get organized and so everyone would have to wait in line and see what was covered under the universal plan and what the peasant would have to sell her goat for...after the "death panel" reviewed her case of course.;)
I think it's inevitable that this will happen. When I got the PU I was momentarily happy ("Wow! Now I can inherit Constantinople, and sell the rest off to some Balkan minor"). But then I realised I didn't want to spend the rest of the game at war with the Turks.
And just why not????You'll spend it at war with the French, then maybe some uppity colonists:) Plus, all of India, the French again, the Spanish, the Dutch, the Danes, pretty much all of Western Europe at one time or another including...France:p, save perhaps some postage stamp sized principality with two cows and a milkmaid.
The worst PU I ever had was several MM versions ago, as a defender of the Protestant faith who gained a PU with the defender of the Catholic faith. What a nightmare of diplomat-spamming it was to try and hang on to that.
:D, that would be an interesting effort.

That map was incredible!

And fantastic updates, all of them. Queen Jane has been an exceptionally long ruled monarch! Now I'm back I will be following this one closely!

Just wanted to say thank you for such a well written AAR, it's beautiful in detail and depth in every possible way.

Regarding Eliza-Jane; "She is only a woman, only mistress of half an island," marvelled Pope Sixtus V, "and yet she makes herself feared by Spain, by France, by the Empire, by all" Seems to fit quite well, perhaps a few changes to reflect Janes position are needed, but the sentiment seems to carry over.

Great!

Hi! I have never logged in and posted a comment; however, this AAR is so spectacular and engaging that I simply had to write to ask if it was being continued. I truly hope it is! Your attention to detail makes this AAR a pleasure to read. Thank you for your efforts.

That map was incredible!

And fantastic updates, all of them. Queen Jane has been an exceptionally long ruled monarch! Now I'm back I will be following this one closely!

Thanks, Ashantai. I'm just thankful Jane survived that dangerous late-teens-to-early-twenties period where hunting accidents are rife, and hung in there for a couple of decades. At least I was able to accomplish some things with her, unlike the previous two or three monarchs.

Just wanted to say thank you for such a well written AAR, it's beautiful in detail and depth in every possible way.

Regarding Eliza-Jane; "She is only a woman, only mistress of half an island," marvelled Pope Sixtus V, "and yet she makes herself feared by Spain, by France, by the Empire, by all" Seems to fit quite well, perhaps a few changes to reflect Janes position are needed, but the sentiment seems to carry over.

I'm glad you've enjoyed it so far, Shadowkano. Elizabeth certainly enjoyed a lot of good PR during and after her reign; I'm not sure what verdict history would have delivered on Jane, especially the latter half of her reign where things are starting to go sour politically and diplomatically.

This is absolutely terrific, really beautifully constructed. I love the way people use the internet to unleash their creativity for no reward other than the joy of it.

Thanks! I enjoy a lot of the AARs here, and user-created mods (both graphical and gameplay). They enrich the gaming experience and provided the spark for me to try and craft my own epic.

Hi! I have never logged in and posted a comment; however, this AAR is so spectacular and engaging that I simply had to write to ask if it was being continued. I truly hope it is! Your attention to detail makes this AAR a pleasure to read. Thank you for your efforts.

Fear not Estenny, it will continue. I had a couple of major wars that are taking more writing than anticipated--and then real life got in the way, as it can occasionally do. But the graphics for the next update are done and the story is definitely being worked on!