• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good news everybody! France has it's back turned and we can start going Continental!

sweet - even the spoilers are a great fix for my addiction :)

although I am so much more interested in the Greek regions for some reason

May God glorify England for she has revenged France. I guess this means you made a peace deal with the Ottomans. What are your plans though for England and her future glory? Avenge Spain through colonial warfare? Make Greece become English?

Awesome AAR Chris. Can't wait for the next update, even though it might never come (that bloody update is too buga to come to us. It should be punished for screwing us up XD)

My guess would be France declared war on Castille, Gascony refused to join and thus broke their alliance leaving the field open for England to re-annex them.

That was my guess as well...but I like Gabor's thought even better:cool:

Something occurred to me related to the Reformation right around the corner. Since RL Anglicanism was a fairly moderate protestant movement (especially at first) how would it be in the context of an England controlling Greece. In particular, the parallels between Imperial Orthodoxy and Anglicanism with respect to secular authority over the Church line right up. Rejection of Papal supremacy is also similar. Both maintain the sacraments (though for Orthodoxy they are different from Catholicism to start with, and for Anglicanism some tweaks were made). The biggest differences as far as I can tell are: 1) that Anglicanism retained a real hierarchy for bishops (much looser in Orthodoxy), 2) Monasteries remained integral in Orthodoxy while disbanding them was among the defining characteristics of Anglicanism (I am not aware of non-monastic church entities owning land in Orthodoxy), 3) A bunch of important but likely reconcilable theological issues (nature of the Trinity, Heaven, Hell, Purgatory and methods of Revelation being among the most difficult). I assume you've already played past this point, but if you haven't already, you may want to incorporate some interaction between the Reformation and Byzantium (or just wrap it in the narrative somehow).

Can you recommend a good nation to play as for a first full length game? I was playing Austria which was incredibly hard, in my opinion, and managed to play about 120 years but then I lost my save file. I am currently playing as the Ottoman Empire, which seems easier, but I have a feeling that when Russia forms, as it frequently seems to in this mod, I will have a hard time. Any suggestions?

Also, what are the triggers of the Overextension event in MM. I got it in the Vanilla and it didn't seem to bad though I understand that it is worse in this mod.

MM doesn't have overextension, it has a complex game system called Administrative Efficiency instead. For full details on how it works you really need to read the manual.

Portugal is, as it says in the manual, good for a first play through to get used to concepts. Beyond that its partly a matter of personal preference. I like Scandinavia since there tends to be an opportunity to get into a variety of different tracks. Also like Portugal its good to grow into since the nations are generally big enough to survive and keep you flexible but not so big that they're a headache to manage. Other nations I think that can fall into he same category are Russia and Novgorod, though they are perhaps a tier up in that they are a bit more difficult to start with and also can grow to be huge. Same can be said for some Indian countries. A personal favorite set of mine are the trade nations. Forming the Hansa, playing as Genoa or Venice, can all be great games that stay exciting to the end. The main problem is that maintaining a trade league takes some micromanagement. If you are somewhat experienced though, these countries can offer real opportunities to keep the game fun and interesting through out.

Let me see here... Castille blockading a French port, English soldiers laying siege to Armagnac territory, the Portuguese and English Royal Navy blockading the pretender Duke of Gascony's ports? Heh, looks like while you were away, the French tried to play with the Castillians.

Good news everybody! France has it's back turned and we can start going Continental!

What I find odd in the teaser pic is that the French are nowhere in sight. Where have they gone? You can't have wiped them out. So...?

My guess would be France declared war on Castille, Gascony refused to join and thus broke their alliance leaving the field open for England to re-annex them.

France and Castile have actually been at war since the spring of 1495; Castile invaded Aragon (again) and France honoured its guarantee to Aragon. Whenever western Europle's Big Two go to war, no territories ever change hands, but they do seem to enjoy getting into decade-long slugfests.

Armagnac wandered away from the herd on its own, and ... well, you'll see in a day or two.

May God glorify England for she has revenged France. I guess this means you made a peace deal with the Ottomans. What are your plans though for England and her future glory? Avenge Spain through colonial warfare? Make Greece become English?

Yes, peace with the Turk is in the offing, finally. As for long-term plans; I had a set of them, but have been forced to re-evaluate. The next two or three updates ought to demonstrate why.

Something occurred to me related to the Reformation right around the corner. Since RL Anglicanism was a fairly moderate protestant movement (especially at first) how would it be in the context of an England controlling Greece. In particular, the parallels between Imperial Orthodoxy and Anglicanism with respect to secular authority over the Church line right up. Rejection of Papal supremacy is also similar. Both maintain the sacraments (though for Orthodoxy they are different from Catholicism to start with, and for Anglicanism some tweaks were made). The biggest differences as far as I can tell are: 1) that Anglicanism retained a real hierarchy for bishops (much looser in Orthodoxy), 2) Monasteries remained integral in Orthodoxy while disbanding them was among the defining characteristics of Anglicanism (I am not aware of non-monastic church entities owning land in Orthodoxy), 3) A bunch of important but likely reconcilable theological issues (nature of the Trinity, Heaven, Hell, Purgatory and methods of Revelation being among the most difficult). I assume you've already played past this point, but if you haven't already, you may want to incorporate some interaction between the Reformation and Byzantium (or just wrap it in the narrative somehow).

thekonkoe, this is a super-awesome comparison/reconciliation of Anglicanism and Orthodoxy. I ... can't really say anything more because it will just veer into spoiler territory. But given that such rumination had not yet begun to enter my head, I am impressed with this first take.

Can you recommend a good nation to play as for a first full length game? I was playing Austria which was incredibly hard, in my opinion, and managed to play about 120 years but then I lost my save file. I am currently playing as the Ottoman Empire, which seems easier, but I have a feeling that when Russia forms, as it frequently seems to in this mod, I will have a hard time. Any suggestions?

I think thekonkoe and Rabid have pretty well covered what I might have said. The only thing I will add is that it takes a couple of attempts (and by couple I mean anywhere from two to a dozen) to unlearn all of the expectations/stratagems built up from playing vanilla EU3, and to retool one's gameplay for Magna Mundi.

So don't be discouraged if your first couple tries end in ignominious failure, and the normal EU3-winning tactics don't seem to be panning out in MM. Just approach it as if you are learning a brand-new game.
_________________________​

Right then. Now, news of the update. I've finally crawled past most of the big blocks of text that were making my head hurt, and expect to have it up by Thursday.

baited breathe

waiting for thursday with great expectation; have read through this thing three times like a story book; the combination of great writing tied into a game I am thouroughly addicted to is very hard to resist

waiting for thursday with great expectation; have read through this thing three times like a story book; the combination of great writing tied into a game I am thouroughly addicted to is very hard to resist

I couldn't let this slide.

It's bated breath. Not baited breathe.

well, I noticed the breathe thing as soon as I did it, but when I hit edit, it didn't give me the title to edit... but the "bated" part is new to me, so learn something new every day :)

This thursday? Awesome lol cant wait (its thursday now for me, but Im guess tomorrow for him)

Indeed lol! Will f5 until midnight, then fall asleep happy or sad. ^^

Sadly, fellas, I'm now looking at the weekend for an update. Not too much time to write, and what spare time I have has been eaten up by LA Noire—which my loving wife bought for our anniversary.