• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ve3609

Lt. General
68 Badges
Aug 23, 2008
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
I'm trying to get the three hurrahs for Germany. Any tips on beating france? They have three times the military score on me and about 5 times the industrial score. Thank you for any tips in advance

I'm trying to get the three hurrahs for Germany. Any tips on beating france? They have three times the military score on me and about 5 times the industrial score. Thank you for any tips in advance

You shouldn't be afraid just because of the military score. It could be that their navy is huge which would be completely irrelevant to you since this would be a land war. I think France is overpowered compared to Prussia militarily, but I still managed to beat them several times now. The secret is to let them invade your territory rather than engaging them in France. The war almost always seems to converge into one giant battle with almost their entire continental army versus mine. Make sure to follow any armies of theres after they lose since they will have low morale to keep wearing them down. Do not bother sieging their territories until their large armies are completely destroyed. Sometimes I even just let my allies do the sieging while I chase the remaining armies throughout France. You must win a very decisive victory.

If you fight them early they will not be able to mobilize as many troops. The only reason France is difficult is because they can mobilize a lot of troops. Their standing army is small and their navy is useless in this war. It seems they often research technologies that increase their mobilization too. If you can play defensively early you can beat them.

My goal has always been to absolute crush France. Take their best provinces. Or all of them. Make them a non-threat, otherwise they seem to always come back.

Then you have to worry about Austria (or did they fix that? Been trying to restore Byzantium since the patch came out.)

I've never had much of a problem with Austria in any of my games except for this annoying new habit they have of taking the German cores in Denmark basically right at the outset of the game. Other than that they are a lot friendly to Prussia in 1.2.

EDIT: Oh, if you try to war them for those cores... everyone declares a containment war on you. It sucks...

Form NGF. Get all the army techs in the first three tiers. Get mobilization techs before them. Get Denmark, Holland, Belgium and Swiss in SoI, ally. Encircle & destroy French armies.

Be current on military techs, have a max size military, and a decent mobilization pool (since you will have researched those techs).

Start the war conservatively. Some people recommend fighting on your territory. You can win on their territory but you have to be careful. I'd recommend putting armies of about 6 brigades each into each of the Alsace-Lorraine provinces and waiting. The French will tend to put all of their troops into one or two of these provinces. Put all of yours there faster. Troops do not take attritition losses while fighting, so you can put 100+ brigades into the important battles.

If you are careful, you can often surround the crucial battle completely, and a retreat result will eliminate the entire French stack instantly. At this point it is not hard to beat France -- you have an army and they don't.

If you fail to kill their entire army in one shot, you can continue this "if you don't attack me you lose this province" tactic.

The military trick in V2 is to kill the army by forcing defensive battles, then spread out and cover their entire nation once you have done this. Compared with Eu3, huge doom stacks are less potent and easier to kill. The AI doesn't understand how big to make its stacks and where to put them. Its stacks are normally too large and it's too aggressive with them -- therefore they are easily surrounded and killed.

really?
i went to war with austria for those cores and nobody declares war on me
only france that do it because i passed my BB limit, i restart and everything's fine because austria basically has smaller army than prussia

I beat them twice recently as NGF and then Germany, they key does indeed seem to be to beat them in one apocalyptic battle, try and let them attack you in a province where you have a decent fort, then if they keep sending more troops in you do the same. If you win the battle, chase them down and destroy them, then once you have occupied a decent portion of the North East they will give you AL.

Second time out I tried a Schlieffen plan type thing and it worked fairly well.

Just don't get too comfortable once you do this. They will be back... I had to take several French states before they learned their lesson! ;) I tried focusing on taking their states that produce Coal and Iron or even Silk. I also like to have a land border with Paris. I know that in Vicky 1 that occupying the capital province provided more warscore than other provinces, but I'm not 100% sure if that's still true or how they value the different provinces.

Attack once they are involved in a war in africa - that usually means that most of their professional army is off fighting.
This gives you a head start on the war, and you can beat up the northern reserve, and the remainder of the army will take a bit of time coming to you.

My Prussia/NGF game is quite a challenge. To form Germany ist very difficult because UK, France and Austria are allied with each other. But i like this. I have to wait for the perfect moment and maybe russia wants to ally with me in the future because they fought several wars against the "triangle" and they could need a gp as an ally.

My Prussia/NGF game is quite a challenge. To form Germany ist very difficult because UK, France and Austria are allied with each other. But i like this. I have to wait for the perfect moment and maybe russia wants to ally with me in the future because they fought several wars against the "triangle" and they could need a gp as an ally.

Yeah, true. I was playing on hard difficulty, and found Russia invaluble as an ally (I essentially did not have to fight Austria thanks to them).

I've made the experience that rotating troops in a constant battle produces very good results. I usually lure the AI into attacking my fairly weak Saarland garrison and start putting more and more troops into the battle. They do the same until their whole army is occupied. I however keep ~half of my army in reserve and rotate a corps into the battle as soon as one which is already fighting is yellow on org. After a short time the huge french army will start to get desorganized and losses will be huge, my small and well organized army however takes only small losses.

The second war is very much the same and I end it in a white peace with about 40 warscore, then using my decision which removes their cores. In my opinion this is realistic and makes sense from a historic perspective.