• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In the meantime, I'll start catching up to my current date by covering 1577-99...

Chapter VIII - Dynastic Succession​

"The best fortress which a prince can possess is the affection of his people."
-Machiavelli

How Lands Change Hands
Two years later, in 1579, Albrecht IV of Bavaria died of pneumonia, and so his brother Philip Moritz Maria became King and Emperor. His short reign is remembered almost exclusively for his inheriting - upon the death of the last Valois King there - the throne of England. Thus the Wittelsbach line came to Britain. Few realize, however, that he also founded what is today the world's largest tobacco corporation. He was succeeded by Albrecht's son, Joseph Ferdinand, in 1586.

flor_bav-engPU.jpg

In 1587, Joseph Ferdinand supported the Catholic lords of Modena when they demanded independence from their Tuscan overlord. Through diplomatic pressure, he arranged for the Duchy to be join the Imperial Demesne, under his own authority. He compensated Ferdinando III by admitting Urbino into the Empire.

flor_modenaindependence.jpg

Some idiot event can't tell the difference between Mantua and Modena, lol

But Ferdinando was more than compensated a year later when the Catholic Queen Maria III of Sicily died without an heir. Her closest living relative, through her mother's cousin's father's grandnephew's carriage driver's mother-in-law, was in fact, the Grand Duke Ferdinando III of Tuscany. The Protestant Medici had never persecuted Catholics outright, and Ferdinando was prudent enough to grant the Sicilian nobles' request for autonomy.

flor_sicilyPU.jpg

Before he died in 1591, he began the building of a rudimentary Tuscan fleet by hiring Dutch and Sicilian shipwrights to train Tuscans in the art of shipbuilding. Under his 8 year old second son, Francesco Stefano, the administration of Tuscany was left to a regency council.

flor_shipwrights.jpg

In 1592, the long War of the Two Henrys (of course, both had died by that time and two Bavarians had come to the throne in England) came to an end. Spain held its New World colonies and annexed Braganca and Algarve from Portugal. However, it lost the Canaries to the English, and more importantly, not only Rousillon but Navarre and northern Aragon to France. The war was a critical turning point in French history: the King centralized and consolidated his (non-English-held) lands and the Imperial duchies of Hainaut and Lorraine threw off their vassalage to the French Crown.

flor_west1592.jpg

The Fools' War
One of the most forgotten wars in history broke out late in 1592, when the Swiss Confederation invaded Milan. A renegade Swiss court, under the influence of a radical Protestant minister, declared the Confederation had a legitimate claim to the lands of the Duchy. Not wanting to let a few crazed Swiss represent all Protestants, Tuscany led a Catholic coalition in defense of Milan.

flor_swisswar.jpg

Military incompetency plagued both sides, most notably when the Tuscan Regent led 16,000 men north against the Count Palatine. Despite numerical superiority, atrocious leadership caused the Tuscans to be slaughtered and they fled the field. Following the disaster at Franken, Tuscany ended the six month war with a truce (though Milan forced the Swiss to revoke their claim).

flor_franken.jpg

A year later, for protecting Milan from Swiss invasion, the Duke of Milan (under pressure from the Emperor) finally recognized Tuscany's de facto rule over Parma.

flor_parmacore.jpg

One Sicily, Two Sicily
Succession crises continued in the 1580s as the Emperor Joseph Ferdinand rose to the throne of Hesse as well. With his death in 1598, his oldest son Albrecht V of Bavaria became King, Emperor, and Duke of Hesse; while his younger son converted to Catholicism to become King Charles III of England. 3 different Wittelsbach Kings now ruled Bavaria, England, and Scotland at this time, and a something of an understanding developed between the British and German Protestants.

But in late December of 1598, the first large conflict over succession was about to break out, as Francesco Stefano I took the throne of Tuscany, and united it with the crown of Sicily. At the same time, through his claim to Kingdom of Sicily, he claimed the rights to the Neapolitan Kingdom as well.

flor_francescoStefano.jpg

Last edited:
RELIGION UPDATE 1599

WEST-SOUTH ASIA POLITICAL 1599
flor1599old.jpg

flor1599new.jpg

A few years after 1599 I figured out the Minority Advisor and Accepted Culture problems as mentioned in the second to last post, and these two combined to allow OE to convert Edirne, Euboea, Athens, Trebizond, and Ionia between 1590-1610 (in addition to Achae earlier in 16th century). My advisor fix below should still stop OE for the most part now.

EUROPE RELIGION 1599
flor1599religion.jpg

Ottos promote religious diversity in Bosnia: Gnostic haven in Bosnia prov, Oriental Orthodox haven in Hum
florbalkanreligon.jpg

INDIA/PERSIA POLITICAL 1599
flor1599indiaP.jpg

Nonetheless I hope Parcae will be somewhat pleased with the religions of India:
Delhi picked HT 1st NI, Muslims seem to have settle on the lower Ganges.
A truly Persian Gulf is a Shiite lake as well.

INDIA/PERSIA RELIGION 1599
flor1599indiaR.jpg

Again, if you are interested in my religion changes to MMU 1.26:

Unpack this rar and place the 2 folders in your MMU folder:

Attachments

• mmu_tolerance_complete.rar
    55,5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I'm really surprised you got not one but two strong Shi'ite powers in the greater Persia region! I haven't seen Persia emerge for dozens and dozens of games...

I can see a few more interesting things. Like Novogrod apparently surviving as a opm and not (yet) gobbled up by Russia. And some unidentified, mimicra-green coloniser settling the province north of the Portuguese Arguin.

Francesco Stefano's stats hurt. I bet the regency was more competent. :D Do/did you have any adm efficiency issues?

I've played one game till around 1590 with your earlier version of tolerance mod, it slowed down the process but only a bit. I hope the new tweaks will do the trick.

You got lucky with Sicily. Now, when you form Italy (this way or other), what will be your goals? I have to say I didn't know about the removal of Sardinia-Piedmonte tag, it makes me feel sad. (I was thinking of giving Savoy another go. :( Now it seems I write aars on dead features (or kill them with my aars ;): the combo power of trade/espionage/prestige(PoA)->mil tradition in Navarre, MMP Hansa as Danzig, Sardinia-Piedmonte :(). But frankly whenever I played in the region (Venice, Savoy), with time it more increasingly transpired to me that forming Italy wasn't worth it; I'd rather stay my initial country (colonial Venice) or Sardinia-Piedmonte (Savoy). And btw, wasn't Firenze the capital for some time in Italian history?

I'm really surprised you got not one but two strong Shi'ite powers in the greater Persia region! I haven't seen Persia emerge for dozens and dozens of games...

Yep there were 3: Persia force converted Khorasan and Haasa; then they vassalized and annexed Haasa. Khorasan conquered half of Persia. Transoxiana is the surprise superpower in central Asia, though, they have more to grow yet.

I can see a few more interesting things. Like Novogrod apparently surviving as a opm and not (yet) gobbled up by Russia. And some unidentified, mimicra-green coloniser settling the province north of the Portuguese Arguin.

For the life of me I cannot imagine why Muscowy/Russia has not annexed Novgorod. They are not guaranteed by anyone, and usually not allied with anyone (currently allied with Lubeck and Hamburg, big woop) Also Russian expansion was slowed in mid 1500s when a series of wars with Sweden, Lith, and OE was immediately followed by Kazan and fellow Asians attacking and retaking large parts of Russia. Russia is now bouncing back though, having conquered a strip splitting Kazan into 3 parts.

The mystery "colonizer" is Tripoli: conquered a French colony there. Stranger still is Aymara Kingdom in Uruguay.

Francesco Stefano's stats hurt. I bet the regency was more competent. :D Do/did you have any adm efficiency issues?

Good call. I had a minor AE problem in next update, but easily took care of it, you will see.

You got lucky with Sicily. Now, when you form Italy (this way or other), what will be your goals?
Totally wasn't expecting the Sicily PU but it was awesome. Once I unite Italy, I will have to see where I stand and go from there. From the looks of things, I may have to save Europe from Ottoman invasion.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update - your India is awesome! Considering that the tolerant nature of the Sultanate of Delhi was Tamurlane's excuse for invading, it gets kind of silly when they organize mass conversion campaigns.

Although I notice that Rajputana has survived - the real test would be a situation in which Delhi blobs, as they often do.

Thanks for the update - your India is awesome! Considering that the tolerant nature of the Sultanate of Delhi was Tamurlane's excuse for invading, it gets kind of silly when they organize mass conversion campaigns.

Although I notice that Rajputana has survived - the real test would be a situation in which Delhi blobs, as they often do.

Raj not only survived but swallowed Gujarat!

*****I added another pic to the religion update showing Otto religious havens of Gnostics and Orientals*****

RELIGION SUBMOD COMPLETE

With the help of jdrou (ok so he pretty much made it) I have completed the aforementioned province event which gives accepted culture provinces the same -5% missionary chance that non-accepted cultures have. Yay! Another minor tweak, I added the -5% to non accepted cultures in republics as well (republics have different non-accepted modifiers)

For those of you following along at home, I now consider my religion submod complete. Barring widespread disaster or crazy choices by the AI, you will not see a green Balkans anymore!

I have packed my completed submod files together. Unpack and place in your MMU folder:

Attachments

• mmu_tolerance_complete.rar
    55,5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I don't mean to nitpick, but is it really a great idea to add that extra -5% chance? I mean, the other changes in your mod are designed to stop tolerant nations from converting their populations, not all nations. Historically, some countries, like Spain, did succeed in converting large areas. The mod already favors tolerance over religious ideas to an ahistorical extent, and this just increases that imbalance.

Perhaps a better solution would be to add a global -4% conversion modifier on top of those that already exist, and add an additional +2% each to Church Attendance Duty and Divine Supremacy to compensate. That way, nations will be able to convert their populations, but they'll have to give up two idea slots and the possibility of LEF to do it, which strikes me as a fair trade.

I don't mean to nitpick, but is it really a great idea to add that extra -5% chance? I mean, the other changes in your mod are designed to stop tolerant nations from converting their populations, not all nations. Historically, some countries, like Spain, did succeed in converting large areas. The mod already favors tolerance over religious ideas to an ahistorical extent, and this just increases that imbalance.

Perhaps a better solution would be to add a global -4% conversion modifier on top of those that already exist, and add an additional +2% each to Church Attendance Duty and Divine Supremacy to compensate. That way, nations will be able to convert their populations, but they'll have to give up two idea slots and the possibility of LEF to do it, which strikes me as a fair trade.

Try it. It does not stop non-tolerant nations. All it does is give the same -5 that non-accepted provinces have, and only if it's not in your culture group. I have started a game from 1453 as Kongo with my complete version that I just left on full speed while I did other things. When I checked at 1500, Venice had already converted all their Greek islands to Catholicism, and lost them to the Ottomans.

It does not affect Castille, as Andalusian is in their culture group. At 1500, their missionaries working in Granada had a 20+% chance. If they were not in the culture group it would still be a 15+%. They will still kick all the Muslims out of Spain, just like they always do, long before they did historically in 1609-1614.

Delhi, however, without picking HT this time, their missionary chance is hovering between about -5% to 5% in their various non-Sunni provinces, depending on other factors. So no doubt they will still convert some but it will probably take awhile, but they might not convert all their provinces even without HT.

If anything, IMHO, more penalties for certain situations could still be added (such as Orthodox vs. Western Christians). But since I have stopped (by missionary at least, some Muslim minority communitites will still grow by the DG events, which is still historical as some Greeks did convert, just not majority) the Islamic conversion of Greece and Catholic conversion of Lithuania, I am satisfied until DW or MMtG come out.

Probably tonight I will post the results of this Kongo observation game and the next AAR update from 1599-1615.

Last edited:
Thanks for this; should make the Reformation and Wars of Religion more interesting and dynamic.

Thanks for all your hard work! I'll definitely try this mod in my next game.

Thanks for this; should make the Reformation and Wars of Religion more interesting and dynamic.

Trying it out as Papacy now ;) Venice is still trying to convert Greek Islands (even at 3% chance), pbly the Rebublis is too rich :)

Thank you all... as a last little bit let me say ubik is incorporating at least some of my changes (I don't know which) in the new MMU version set to be released next Friday!

As a final test of my religion submod, I started a game 1453 as Kongo that I just let run until 1623 both to see the complete submod in action and to see what kind of world the AI would create without any human interference.

So....

OPERATION: WATCH THE WORLD FROM KONGO

KONGO GAME: OTTOS AND LITHUANIA 1500
Otto Sunni comunities larger than Insignficant notified on map
kongo1500_1.jpg

KONGO GAME: INDIA 1500
Delhi did not pick HT this game
kongo1500_2.jpg

KONGO GAME WORLD 1623
kongo1623.jpg

KONGO GAME EUROPE 1623
There are some sizeable Sunni minorities in Trebizond, Edirne, Salonica, and SE Bulgaria
kongo1623_1.jpg

PROTESTANT SPAIN?!?!?!?!

KONGO GAME: INDIA 1623
Again, no HT in Delhi
kongo1623_2.jpg

But we diagress, what about the Duchy of Tuscany?

What? Tuscany? Oh yeah, I was making an AAR, wasn't I? ;)

Don't worry, you will learn how the Medicis become Kings of Italy soon! :D

Last edited:
CJL78, have you also considered nerfing theologians and other advisors in your mod? The effect they can have is huge: Theologians give +1% missionary chance per star. A determined, somewhat lucky player using a few hiring fairs can still get around the limitations you implanted pretty easily this way. Actually, while playing Magna Mundi it often occured to me that it would probably be appropriate balance-wise to cut the bonus on conversion chance all advisors give by half at least. Even more so if 'base' conversion chances are generally lower, like in your mod.

CJL78, have you also considered nerfing theologians and other advisors in your mod? The effect they can have is huge: Theologians give +1% missionary chance per star. A determined, somewhat lucky player using a few hiring fairs can still get around the limitations you implanted pretty easily this way. .

A determined and completely unlucky player could still make an intolerant Ottoman Empire, but that is not my purpose. I merely wish to make tolerant AI states tolerant.

Love your sub-mod, CJL78, fixed that silliness that always bothered me out there :p

thanks

CJL78 said:
A determined and completely unlucky player could still make an intolerant Ottoman Empire, but that is not my purpose. I merely wish to make tolerant AI states tolerant.
That's fine then. If you ever change your mind, to make sure player controlled tolerant countries are tolerant as well, something like that would be neccessary.