• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

gwailo247

Sergeant
80 Badges
Feb 15, 2008
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Iron Cross
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Magicka 2
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Surviving Mars
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome Gold
No offense, but the English is atrocious. Not just small variances in word choice, but entire words are missing, rendering some of the sentences incomprehensible. If you're going to sell a game in the English language, you need to achieve some level of competency, or HIRE someone who does.

I paid 10 bucks for this, not a lot, but this isn't a free mod, it's a product. If I'm paying for something, I expect it to be tested.

Paradox, you guys are putting your name behind this, nobody played this once and thought: "hhmmm WTF does this mean:"

"This mod includes from which the ideological beginning of the Spanish civil war is considered to the aim of World War II."

Come on, that's the first sentence! Again, I understand that English may not be the designer's first language, but if you're charging money for a product, you can hire someone to edit the relatively few lines of text in the game. You could probably get someone to do it for free. Its a very poor first impression of a product.

I totally agree. Even someone who are just fluent on an everyday basis in English could have improved it by leaps and bounds. It is strange that none of the developers can speak/write proper English. (no offense meant)

I must say I don't really mind the errors too much. It was the same in their mod and to me it only really took some slight getting used to. I certainly haven't encountered any truly incomprehensible lines in Iron Cross yet.

It would indeed be welcome to see some improvement on this front, but I think there are certainly more important matters to attent to..

I must say I don't really mind the errors too much. It was the same in their mod and to me it only really took some slight getting used to. I certainly haven't encountered any truly incomprehensible lines in Iron Cross yet.

The difference is, people are paying money for Iron Cross, as opposed to a mod, which is free. When you're actually spending money, you want to be able to understand what you're reading :p

I haven't bought, and probably won't buy Iron Cross, but I know a shoddy translation would put me off playing it. And like uarus_strabo, I'd also be willing to help tidy up the text as well.

Aw aw devs - you said you will fix the text! I suppose Paradox surprised you with a too early of release 'cos I would not understand how so apparent grammatical mistakes would be let into the public!?

Am glad that you will find nice people who will fix all text for free.

Congratz on release though, hope you are all well. ;)

Hello;

We are 4 spanish developpers, and only one, Daboo, speaks and write proper english. 25% of the team is not a bad accuracy. This is not an excuse, it's a fact.
In Spain there isn't too many bilingual people like in other countries. If you have problems with english version, try it in spanish :D

Hello;

We are 4 spanish developpers, and only one, Daboo, speaks and write proper english. 25% of the team is not a bad accuracy. This is not an excuse, it's a fact.
In Spain there isn't too many bilingual people like in other countries. If you have problems with english version, try it in spanish :D

I'm sorry Sir but English has been a de facto World language for a very long time. It's the one and only language that is used for communication in majority of applications that are used by linguisticaly diverse populations and PC gamers BELONG in this sphere.

Having a game that is sold for World users should by all means have proper English, no excuses or "facts" are able to change this. This is basic language higiene and a lack of it shows only disrispect to non Spanish speakers. Being French, Italian, Spaniard or whatever can be a fact but not an excuse for bad use of English. The team should have employed someone who would fix this issue prior to release. If this was not done 'cos of to early of relase that is, well, okey, but if this wasn't planned in the first place then I am appaled!

I'm sorry Sir but English has been a de facto World language for a very long time. It's the one and only language that is used for communication in majority of applications that are used by linguisticaly diverse populations and PC gamers BELONG in this sphere.

Having a game that is sold for World users should by all means have proper English, no excuses or "facts" are able to change this. This is basic language higiene and a lack of it shows only disrispect to non Spanish speakers. Being French, Italian, Spaniard or whatever can be a fact but not an excuse for bad use of English. The team should have employed someone who would fix this issue prior to release. If this was not done 'cos of to early of relase that is, well, okey, but if this wasn't planned in the first place then I am appaled!
I think that you didn't understand the irony :) We are working on it right now because that is something that of course we are concerned and want to solve as soon as possible.
We know that there are many and BIG mistakes but the overall english of the game is not as bad as some posted in this forum.
Anyway it will be fixed very soon :)

Last edited:

Hello;

I work internationally since 20 years, and my basic english has been sufficient. If you make business with South America, you speak obviously in spanish. I'm with you that's is an international language, but not the once.
And when I do my studies, diplomatic language was french ( I'm perfectly bilingual in this language), so I can understand that all people had not the same facilities to learn a language. I think you did not understand this; many of my school friends have no problem with latin languages ( french, italian, romanian...) but with english begins the nightmare. So, for you, all this people is in fault? This is real disrispect.
Be sure we recognize that our english version isn't the best, and we work to resolve it.

This is real disrispect.

This might sound a bit harsh, but imvho the really disrespectful if not downright disgusting thing is to actually try and SELL an expansion (I guess some of you have not gotten around the fact that you no longer make a mod but a real product now) for a game that pretty obviously has most of its customers in the english-speaking world (in this I include countries in regions with english as ubiquitous secondary language like Germany, Benelux and Scandinavia) with such a horrible, horrible english translation. (If you didn't realize english being the primary language before, the language on this forum just might have been a dead giveaway...)

Imho any kind of professionals would have STARTED with the english version and then translated from there rather than doing their own language first and then trying some sloppy translation to the main language. If you do not know anyone who can speak proper english (I will give you that this might not be that uncommon in Spain), you should not have the gall to try and make bucks off your mod. Or at least have the courage to only release it for the hispanic world. Plain and simple.

I am kinda glad that I am paranoid enough to not even have considered buying this product after reading through a few forum posts and then already noticing that none of the devs have a decent grasp of english. How am I supposed to trust in a project when the makers don't command the language I want to enjoy that product in?

And just for the record, being German I am not a native english speaker myself.

This might sound a bit harsh, but imvho the really disrespectful if not downright disgusting thing is to actually try and SELL an expansion (I guess some of you have not gotten around the fact that you no longer make a mod but a real product now) for a game that pretty obviously has most of its customers in the english-speaking world (in this I include countries in regions with english as ubiquitous secondary language like Germany, Benelux and Scandinavia) with such a horrible, horrible english translation. (If you didn't realize english being the primary language before, the language on this forum just might have been a dead giveaway...)

Imho any kind of professionals would have STARTED with the english version and then translated from there rather than doing their own language first and then trying some sloppy translation to the main language. If you do not know anyone who can speak proper english (I will give you that this might not be that uncommon in Spain), you should not have the gall to try and make bucks off your mod. Or at least have the courage to only release it for the hispanic world. Plain and simple.

I am kinda glad that I am paranoid enough to not even have considered buying this product after reading through a few forum posts and then already noticing that none of the devs have a decent grasp of english. How am I supposed to trust in a project when the makers don't command the language I want to enjoy that product in?

Hi :)
As stated before we know that there are many and BIG mistakes but the overall english of Iron Cross is not as bad as some posted in this forum.
Anyway it will be fixed very soon. Thanks :)

I think that you didn't understand the irony :) We are working on it right now because that is something that of course we are concerned and want to solve as soon as possible.
We know that there are many and BIG mistakes but the overall english of the game is not as bad as some posted in this forum.
Anyway it will be fixed very soon :)

That sentance made me very happy :D

Hello;

And as I said, if this was a FREE MOD I wouldn't even post anything about it. Cause its FREE. And frankly I'd probably have an easier time reading it in Spanish than in English. =)

But since I paid you money for this product, then you can spend money to hire someone to translate from Spanish into English. I'm surrounded by millions of people who are bilingual in Spanish and English. In Southern California its a fairly common skill. And the cost is very cheap, since the person who you e-mail the text won't know the difference if you're in Pamplona or Pomona.

So I would suggest compiling a list of the text in original Spanish, finding a cheap translator online, hire them to translate this text for you, and then patch the game with proper translation. I'm sure you could get it done for under $100.

Ouch!