+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where do I buy the English version?

Where do I buy the English version?

No offense, but the English is atrocious. Not just small variances in word choice, but entire words are missing, rendering some of the sentences incomprehensible. If you're going to sell a game in the English language, you need to achieve some level of competency, or HIRE someone who does.

I paid 10 bucks for this, not a lot, but this isn't a free mod, it's a product. If I'm paying for something, I expect it to be tested.

Paradox, you guys are putting your name behind this, nobody played this once and thought: "hhmmm WTF does this mean:"

"This mod includes from which the ideological beginning of the Spanish civil war is considered to the aim of World War II."

Come on, that's the first sentence! Again, I understand that English may not be the designer's first language, but if you're charging money for a product, you can hire someone to edit the relatively few lines of text in the game. You could probably get someone to do it for free. Its a very poor first impression of a product.

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandGettysburgHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron CrossKing Arthur II
    The Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2March of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldStarvoidVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    Hearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of Nations500k club

I totally agree. Even someone who are just fluent on an everyday basis in English could have improved it by leaps and bounds. It is strange that none of the developers can speak/write proper English. (no offense meant)
    Game Developer East vs West - Softcoding Team / Research Apps. / The Map 1
    Arsenal of Democracy Technical Team Mod2
    Hungarian leaders for HoI2 3 / Hungarian Improvement for HoI34

Yeah, a proper translation would be nice, definetly a necessary element for the next patch.
    History of the Modern Red Army - Soviet Union Total War AAR
    Military only style AAR, detailing the battles of the Red Army
    Currently at Update 44 - 13.03.11.

Major
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

I'd be happy to go through the english and tidy it up. The red text on the start up screens is utterly incomprehensible. I read it and thought 'What?'

HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron Cross
    Semper FiSword of the Stars500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I personally like this one Just click the first image and read the text.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-IRCR/iron-cross

This was the first picture I saw of this game and that "Liebstandarte" really hit the spot.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I must say I don't really mind the errors too much. It was the same in their mod and to me it only really took some slight getting used to. I certainly haven't encountered any truly incomprehensible lines in Iron Cross yet.

It would indeed be welcome to see some improvement on this front, but I think there are certainly more important matters to attent to..

High on Political Consensus walrus's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Khalep View Post
    I must say I don't really mind the errors too much. It was the same in their mod and to me it only really took some slight getting used to. I certainly haven't encountered any truly incomprehensible lines in Iron Cross yet.
    The difference is, people are paying money for Iron Cross, as opposed to a mod, which is free. When you're actually spending money, you want to be able to understand what you're reading

I haven't bought, and probably won't buy Iron Cross, but I know a shoddy translation would put me off playing it. And like uarus_strabo, I'd also be willing to help tidy up the text as well.
    Ask me about Anarcho-Stalinism!

HoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIIron Cross
    Victoria: Revolutions

Anyone interested on help with translation, pleasse PM me
    Thanks

A New HOI2 Expansion

Major
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    Anyone interested on help with translation, pleasse PM me
    Thanks
    Maybe those interested in polishing up the game text should somehow form a group and divide up the work?

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    SengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Aw aw devs - you said you will fix the text! I suppose Paradox surprised you with a too early of release 'cos I would not understand how so apparent grammatical mistakes would be let into the public!?

Am glad that you will find nice people who will fix all text for free.

Congratz on release though, hope you are all well.
    Lose your honour on these forums and I'll make you commit seppuku

Go check out my AoD CORE 0.60 AAR!

White Russian, please... canarias's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultDiplomacy
    East India CompanyHearts of Iron IIIIron CrossEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Hello;

We are 4 spanish developpers, and only one, Daboo, speaks and write proper english. 25% of the team is not a bad accuracy. This is not an excuse, it's a fact.
    In Spain there isn't too many bilingual people like in other countries. If you have problems with english version, try it in spanish

A New HOI2 Expansion

Messieurs, on ouvrira le feu tir de pistolet.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    SengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by canarias View Post
    Hello;

We are 4 spanish developpers, and only one, Daboo, speaks and write proper english. 25% of the team is not a bad accuracy. This is not an excuse, it's a fact.
    In Spain there isn't too many bilingual people like in other countries. If you have problems with english version, try it in spanish
    I'm sorry Sir but English has been a de facto World language for a very long time. It's the one and only language that is used for communication in majority of applications that are used by linguisticaly diverse populations and PC gamers BELONG in this sphere.

Having a game that is sold for World users should by all means have proper English, no excuses or "facts" are able to change this. This is basic language higiene and a lack of it shows only disrispect to non Spanish speakers. Being French, Italian, Spaniard or whatever can be a fact but not an excuse for bad use of English. The team should have employed someone who would fix this issue prior to release. If this was not done 'cos of to early of relase that is, well, okey, but if this wasn't planned in the first place then I am appaled!
    Lose your honour on these forums and I'll make you commit seppuku

Go check out my AoD CORE 0.60 AAR!

HoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIIron Cross

Quote Originally Posted by Hister View Post
    I'm sorry Sir but English has been a de facto World language for a very long time. It's the one and only language that is used for communication in majority of applications that are used by linguisticaly diverse populations and PC gamers BELONG in this sphere.

Having a game that is sold for World users should by all means have proper English, no excuses or "facts" are able to change this. This is basic language higiene and a lack of it shows only disrispect to non Spanish speakers. Being French, Italian, Spaniard or whatever can be a fact but not an excuse for bad use of English. The team should have employed someone who would fix this issue prior to release. If this was not done 'cos of to early of relase that is, well, okey, but if this wasn't planned in the first place then I am appaled!
    I think that you didn't understand the irony We are working on it right now because that is something that of course we are concerned and want to solve as soon as possible.
    We know that there are many and BIG mistakes but the overall english of the game is not as bad as some posted in this forum.
    Anyway it will be fixed very soon
    Last edited by Daboo; 09-10-2010 at 20:54.

A New HOI2 Expansion

White Russian, please... canarias's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultDiplomacy
    East India CompanyHearts of Iron IIIIron CrossEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Quote Originally Posted by Hister View Post

Hello;

I work internationally since 20 years, and my basic english has been sufficient. If you make business with South America, you speak obviously in spanish. I'm with you that's is an international language, but not the once.
    And when I do my studies, diplomatic language was french ( I'm perfectly bilingual in this language), so I can understand that all people had not the same facilities to learn a language. I think you did not understand this; many of my school friends have no problem with latin languages ( french, italian, romanian...) but with english begins the nightmare. So, for you, all this people is in fault? This is real disrispect.
    Be sure we recognize that our english version isn't the best, and we work to resolve it.

A New HOI2 Expansion

Messieurs, on ouvrira le feu tir de pistolet.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2

This is real disrispect.
    This might sound a bit harsh, but imvho the really disrespectful if not downright disgusting thing is to actually try and SELL an expansion (I guess some of you have not gotten around the fact that you no longer make a mod but a real product now) for a game that pretty obviously has most of its customers in the english-speaking world (in this I include countries in regions with english as ubiquitous secondary language like Germany, Benelux and Scandinavia) with such a horrible, horrible english translation. (If you didn't realize english being the primary language before, the language on this forum just might have been a dead giveaway...)

Imho any kind of professionals would have STARTED with the english version and then translated from there rather than doing their own language first and then trying some sloppy translation to the main language. If you do not know anyone who can speak proper english (I will give you that this might not be that uncommon in Spain), you should not have the gall to try and make bucks off your mod. Or at least have the courage to only release it for the hispanic world. Plain and simple.

I am kinda glad that I am paranoid enough to not even have considered buying this product after reading through a few forum posts and then already noticing that none of the devs have a decent grasp of english. How am I supposed to trust in a project when the makers don't command the language I want to enjoy that product in?

And just for the record, being German I am not a native english speaker myself.

Quote Originally Posted by krait View Post
    This might sound a bit harsh, but imvho the really disrespectful if not downright disgusting thing is to actually try and SELL an expansion (I guess some of you have not gotten around the fact that you no longer make a mod but a real product now) for a game that pretty obviously has most of its customers in the english-speaking world (in this I include countries in regions with english as ubiquitous secondary language like Germany, Benelux and Scandinavia) with such a horrible, horrible english translation. (If you didn't realize english being the primary language before, the language on this forum just might have been a dead giveaway...)

Imho any kind of professionals would have STARTED with the english version and then translated from there rather than doing their own language first and then trying some sloppy translation to the main language. If you do not know anyone who can speak proper english (I will give you that this might not be that uncommon in Spain), you should not have the gall to try and make bucks off your mod. Or at least have the courage to only release it for the hispanic world. Plain and simple.

I am kinda glad that I am paranoid enough to not even have considered buying this product after reading through a few forum posts and then already noticing that none of the devs have a decent grasp of english. How am I supposed to trust in a project when the makers don't command the language I want to enjoy that product in?

Hi
    As stated before we know that there are many and BIG mistakes but the overall english of Iron Cross is not as bad as some posted in this forum.
    Anyway it will be fixed very soon. Thanks

A New HOI2 Expansion

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

I actually didn't mind the mistakes. Its fun guessing what the quote on the loading screen really means

HoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCommander: Conquest of the AmericasEuropa Universalis 3Galactic Assault
    Lead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldShip Simulator Extremes
    Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    I think that you didn't understand the irony We are working on it right now because that is something that of course we are concerned and want to solve as soon as possible.
    We know that there are many and BIG mistakes but the overall english of the game is not as bad as some posted in this forum.
    Anyway it will be fixed very soon
    That sentance made me very happy
    'Darkest Hour', a 1914-1964 Grand Strategy Game

32? Oh.... whyyy... 69 is much a nicer sounding number...

Hello;

And as I said, if this was a FREE MOD I wouldn't even post anything about it. Cause its FREE. And frankly I'd probably have an easier time reading it in Spanish than in English. =)

But since I paid you money for this product, then you can spend money to hire someone to translate from Spanish into English. I'm surrounded by millions of people who are bilingual in Spanish and English. In Southern California its a fairly common skill. And the cost is very cheap, since the person who you e-mail the text won't know the difference if you're in Pamplona or Pomona.

So I would suggest compiling a list of the text in original Spanish, finding a cheap translator online, hire them to translate this text for you, and then patch the game with proper translation. I'm sure you could get it done for under $100.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHeir to the Throne500k club

Quote Originally Posted by krait View Post

Ouch!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast