• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great Update, great read, sorry i wasnt able to comment on it sooner.
Hope to see an update soon to see this AAR still beeing eligible for the contest :)

I wonder if you will be able to get an industry up in Greece? Do you have any Capitalists at all?

I can see the pictures fine btw.

Yes, I just realized that I have to update by tomorrow to remain eligible, and fully plan to do so :)

I do have capitalists in Greece (encouraged them for a bit) and they had built railroads up to this point only. I will emphasize their work once their growing wealth and literacy levels finally allow them to get actual manufactories going :)

From Mecca to Crimea; Clash of the Titans

The early 1850's had seen waves of revolution clash with the ancient regimes over much of Europe, with increasingly literate and politically-aware populations demanding greater political rights for the masses. Greece had been almost entirely insulated from these movements, in part because of the extraordinary popularity of the new Monarchy, and in part because these "new" ideas still had little popularity eastwards - despite, ironically, the vast democratic heritage of the Hellenic people.

Nonetheless, the consequences of these events were quick to reach Athens, albeit indirectly. As the Greeks licked their war wounds, refilled their coffers, and worked diligently to expand their young industrial base, they remained in a dire strategic situation, in which the alliance with France was pivotal for survival. Were it shattered, Russia could walk in and restore the Ottoman Empire's prominence, this time as a vassal of the Tsar. This gave Athens a particularly weak hand in any dealings with their new western allies.

And in Paris, the Bourbon dynasty had every intent to cling to power and recover it's mantle of worldwide supremacy. The best way to deal with the turbulence at home, some whispered in the French halls of power, was still "Une bonne vieille guerre!" - a victorious war that would force the people's energy into more productive activities than Jacobin rebellions. With France's first foe then being Russia, a strategy to strike indirectly at the heart of it's Ottoman ally was devised. Clever diplomats, the French had no intent of firing the first salvo. They had new allies in Athens who could certainly be persuaded to nudge events in the right direction. A small Greek fleet being built in the Red Sea would be key to their efforts.

ch4%20A.jpg

With the Caliph's prestige shaken, any further threat to it's nominal subjects or Islam's Holy Cities could threaten the existence of the Caliphate itself. It played well into Constantine's ambitions.

Even as they waged war against isolated Hedjaz, the Greeks' kept a close eye on their own borders, aware that the truce with the Ottomans was shaky. Their publicly-stated desire to "Protect" the Islamic cities was an affront to the Caliph, even if they had been de-facto independent for a long time. Paris was well-aware that it was stroking dangerous fires, but promised extensive military guarantees to convince Constantine to push onwards nonetheless.

ch4%20B.JPG

Even as the armies advanced, much had to be done in Greece. Technological improvements for the armies and efforts to control by force the Turkish minorities' disapproval were multiplied.

Unfortunately, the wealth of Mecca and Medina was more legendary than factual, but as the Greek armies advanced, Generals began to see the potential of the protectorate they were 'building'. Well positioned naval bases at the mouth of the Indian Ocean would give the young Kingdom almost limitless potential for future expansion, and for trade with the East.

As for the conquest of the land itself, there was no doubt that it was merely a matter of time. Weak and divided, without a Caliph able to unite them, the Islamic world saw, aghast, their Holy Cities falling to the conquerors of Jerusalem.

ch4%20C.JPG

The Protector would guarantee extensive rights to the inhabitants and visitors to the Holy Cities in order to minimize the risk of Sunni rebellions. The anger of the Caliph would not be diminished.

The short and victorious colonial war had little impact in Greek society beyond a bout of turbulence in it's Sunni provinces. But in the Ottoman Empire, the damage was irreparable.

Unable to launch a war of reprisal without the assent of the Tsar, the Caliph watched as yet another jewel of his increasingly-theoretical crown fell into Greek hands. His armies, partially rebuilt through Russian aid, were now confined to Ottoman territories proper. Long-subservient neighbors no longer paid heed to his decrees, and his fall from grace was made complete when small regional leaders in Arabia claimed the title of Caliph for themselves and started warring over it. The Caliphate, in practice, was finished.

Yet to the frustration of the Ottomans and even that of Paris, two quiet years ensued. Proving the extent of the Tsar's prudence and control over Istanbul, he demanded that the truce signed with Greece be respected scrupulously for five years and not one day less. Constantine used the time to invest into culture, industries, and prepare a future expansion of the Navy. Britain returned the Ionian Islands to Athens with much ceremony. Spices and other exotic goods from Asia began to arrive into the Kingdom through a great port being expanded and built in the southern ruins of the Protectorate of Mecca and Medina. Greece's slow rise to power continued.

But 'Istanbul's patience had limits. Unable to mount military operations against Greece, it's leaders began to increasingly persecute the Greek minorities living within it's borders, in violation of the aging truce. News of brutality against Greeks in Rumelia did not play well at all abroad, and would be a stepping stone for acceptance by other powers of Greece's budding claim to a 'Megali Idea'. In due time, this 'Great Idea' would suggest bringing within the nation all the Greeks, which would entail control over the straights and likely the end of the Ottoman Empire.

But for now, there were more pressing matters than the diplomatic and educational efforts such a concept would require to reach broad acceptance. The bulk of the brutalities were committed in Rumelia, close to the Greek borders, almost certainly on purpose. The Sultan played them down to his Russian allies, saying the Greeks were just as bad by denying building permits to Turkish subjects. Tensions escalated.

ch4%20D.JPG

Constantine refused to sit by idly, but his Generals were terrified of war with Russia. Greece's military had always been victorious, but was but a shadow to the might of the Russian Bear.

The war strategy they envisioned relied almost entirely on timely French assistance. A defensive strategy would be necessary whilst that support arrived. A long period of preparations would have been wiser, but the need to engage Turkish troops in Rumelia was increasingly pressing. A formal declaration of war was issued even before French support was absolutely certain. Sleepless nights ensued, until good news arrived from the West.

ch4%20E.JPG

The spark of fire that the French leaders had been hoping for four years had arrived. Greek diplomats in Paris demanded that they honor their military guarantees on August 27th, 1858.

The revolts and grumbling in French streets quieted down quite a bit under martial law and mass conscription. The French justified their involvement 'to save the straits from Russia'; whilst the Russian nobility was persuaded by exactly the opposite claim. Two vast Empires, after Britain's the strongest in the world, had overnight become embroiled in a clash of titans sparked by the regional conflict of powers they thought well within their influence. What would be known as the Crimean War had begun.

From a Greek point of view, the first phase of the hostilities was slow; after initial forays into Rumelia, defensive positions were shored up. They expected immediate clashes with the Turks, but those were intent on waiting for Russian support. Athens had called on allies under it's influence across the world. Though the French were the most decisive, soldiers from Egypt, Italy, and far-flung Americas would take part in the coming battles.

They would be sorely needed, for when the Russians arrived on the frontlines, Greek formations suffered heavily losses and gave ground. The winter of 58-59 was marked by despair at the front, as foreign regiments arrived too slowly whilst Russian hordes poured into Bulgaria. And yet they held true, somehow, until spring, until the tricolors waved in the harbors.

ch4%20F.JPG

The French arrived in bulk, both on land and sea. Their ships forced the Dardanelles and their troops landed in Greece, Thrace, and even in far-flung Crimea.

ch4%20G.JPG

Their arrival didn't mark spring break for the bloodied Greek armies. Russian troops kept strong pressure on the Albanian front. Side by side with the French Legions, Greeks stood ground.

ch4%20H.JPG

As Sevastopol burned under French cannonades, the Russians fell back into the Balkans up to the borders of Serbia. Ottoman troops had long vanished from the field. France was victorious.

And because this victory was French far before being Greek, there was a price to pay. As Constantine prepared to announce triumphally that Greece was now fighting for control of the Straits, dire news came from Paris. The French, in control of the battlefield and having entirely sank the Russian Black Sea Fleet, had control of diplomacy and offered peace against Rumelia only. Russia, of course, was quick to accept at this point - the Ottomans were never consulted either. Constantine was furious as he had hoped to soon expand the war well beyond this, but had to understand the motive of his ally. Prussia, hoping to profit from the absence of the 'Armées Royales', had crossed the border into Lorraine, hoping for a quick war of it's own. The French were fleeing for their ships, leaving the field of honor to Greece.

Even if the war had been cut short, the victory had it's comforts. Rumelia boasted vast industries, of a size that dwarfed largely those of Greece's. Furthermore, it's ownership had expanded once again the Greek population, brought much prestige to the Crown, and split the Ottoman Empire in two. Never until those fiery days when Constantinople still stood against the hordes of Anatolia had this been true. Now four million Greeks, and close to twelve million souls lived within the confines of the Greek kingdom.

It was then early 1860, and once again the map of Europe had shifted slightly in favor of the Hellens. Largely thanks to the Turkish craftsmen of Bulgaria, Greece's industry was flourishing anew. After decades of investments in education, a literate class was slowing emerging. At it's helm, Aristocrats had to share the glory with a small and determined group of Capitalists, largely educated abroad and returning to their homeland with ideas and industrial designs from London, Brussels and Paris.

The years that followed are remembered as the real kickstart of the Greek industrial revolution - which would soon allow Greece to field armies and navies strong enough to free their leaders from entangling alliances not of their own design.

ch4%20K.JPG

After a couple years of precious peace, the industrial landscape of Greece was finally sound enough for nascent pride to take root in the hearts of it's entrepreneurs.

As for France, her armies arrived late to her own shores. Prussia approached Paris, intent to siege the venerable 'Cité des Lumières'. Help came from an unexpected direction. With crowds of rebels in his wake as he marched from Switzerland, in sights reminiscent of the Hundred Days, Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte raised a peasant army to meet the Prussians. Styling himself 'General of the Republic', he fought with bravery and luck on the banks of the Marne river, giving time to the Royal armies to arrive. Soon after, the Prussians were driven back into Alsace and beyond.

The popularity Louis-Napoleon enjoyed afterward channeled the national dissatisfaction into demands for a Bonapartist return to the Throne, sparking a civil war against the pro-Greek Bourbon regime. First declaring a Republic, and soon after styling himself Emperor as his venerable ancestor had before him, Napoleon III triumphantly gave birth to the Second Empire, just as he freed Alsace from Prussian hands.

ch4%20Nap.jpg

The glory of the battlefield and the immense support his new Monarchy enjoyed was alike Constantine's own coming to power. But Napoleon III had no intent to fight for the Greeks again.

ch4%20I.JPG

It was thus a good thing for Athens that soon after Russia - embittered by her Balkan adventure and the loss of her fleet - let the much-weakened Sultan fall from her loosening grasp.

A new balance of power established itself in Europe; one where Greece would finally take her place wholly amongst the Great Powers without having to resort to foreign aid, foreign industries, or foreign armies. With her position amongst the Powers increasingly solid, and her own net of alliances increasingly wide, there was little doubt that Constantine was still destined to great things.

Elsewhere across the world, the Springtime of Nations had shattered many old chains. America was torn by a bloody civil war and borders fluctuated almost yearly as Empires sought to maintain their heydays. These interesting times would see many other chapters written by the ambitions of the aging leaders of Greece, who still remembered their sacred Oaths in the ruins of the Parthenon.

We conclude this Chapter with the State of the World in Late 1862 [Click Image to Enlarge]

Last edited:
Sadly, it seems I have overshot contest guidelines by about a hundred words and a screenshot or two.

If this poses a meaningful problem, please tell me, and I will cut out the parts about the French. Thank you. I hope you enjoy this update! :)

Sadly, it seems I have overshot contest guidelines by about a hundred words and a screenshot or two.
If this poses a meaningful problem, please tell me, and I will cut out the parts about the French. Thank you. I hope you enjoy this update! :)

Thank you for the update, glad you were able to do it so soon.
It is indeed a bit over the limits, but not so much as to need any changes.
I try to be as easy on the rules as possible, as i where with other competitors before you :)

Besides that its a great update, thank you for the read!

Thank you for the update, glad you were able to do it so soon.
It is indeed a bit over the limits, but not so much as to need any changes.
I try to be as easy on the rules as possible, as i where with other competitors before you :)

Besides that its a great update, thank you for the read!

Thank you, I will strive to stay within guidelines for future updates. Its hard to judge sometimes, and so hard-breaking to delete stuff when you think it's good ;)

My goal is to get to get the AAR to 1936. Despite the post 1905-slowness, Im getting pretty close in-game to the finish line... and thats why Im trying to cover as many years as possible per update, cause I cant see myself writing 20 5-year chapters, I'm trying to be closer to 7-10 year chunks, in order to wrap this up in 15 chapters. But I'll try extra hard to keep it within guidelines!

Well, after the 5th chapter you are free to do your updates in any manner you choose to
if you dont want them to be judged any more, so thats a posibility for you then i guess :)

Well, after the 5th chapter you are free to do your updates in any manner you choose to
if you dont want them to be judged any more, so thats a posibility for you then i guess :)

No, in all honesty, the guidelines of the contest are great. I tend to write too much and it lose some peoples' interest. 2000 words is plenty, and Ill try to stick to that till the end.

On a separate note, I updated chapter 2 with a link to a song that seemed very thematic for Otto's downfall, and lyrics. Hope some people like that :)

Who's in charge of Washington state? Russia?

Who's in charge of Washington state? Russia?

Yes. But they still sold Alaska proper to the US...

Will you soon get cores for the western Anatolia?

I suppose I can afford a little spoiler. It takes an invention tied to Nationalism and Imperialism, a tech with a date of 1870 IIRC. Since I need these cores, my strategy was pretty much to get this invention ASAP. Also give cores on Thrace that are sadly unusable until its the last region of the Ottoman Empire... so Im not nearly done making up excuses to avoid taking Istanbul ;)

No, in all honesty, the guidelines of the contest are great. I tend to write too much and it lose some peoples' interest. 2000 words is plenty, and Ill try to stick to that till the end.

On a separate note, I updated chapter 2 with a link to a song that seemed very thematic for Otto's downfall, and lyrics. Hope some people like that :)

Thank you Alerias, glad you dont find the rules too strict,
i really want this contest to be a fun experiece for anyone involved :)

Okay, with that song i think you raised the bar for all contestors a little :p

Thats a very fitting song when you look at the lyrics, thank you for that,
i really would never have thought i would be reading an AAR about greece and listen
to italo dance style music, and enjoying both, because it really fits :D :rofl:

Chapter the Fifth: The First Conquest of 'Istanbul'

In theory, every territorial gain against the Ottoman Empire should have helped appease the appetites of the Greek Kingdom. As of 1862, most Greeks now lived within the confines of the Kingdom. And yet, as long as Constantinople stood in enemy hands, it seemed that every victory that overlooked the sole prize that truly mattered only deepened the appetites of the Hellenic people for war.

The jingoistic mood that prevailed in the first half of the 1860s despite the formal truce with the Occupiers' Empire was proof of that entirely. Now shorn of Russian support, the future was increasingly clear. A series of battles would be fought, sooner or later, that would result either in the collapse of the ancient Empire or the destruction of young Greece. Those who preached cohabitation and peace in either realm were utterly marginalized, cries of war increasingly louder.

ch5%20A.JPG

For the time being, it was clear, the Ottomans no longer enjoyed Russian protection either way, and it bode ill for their short-term future.

As the Strategos in Athens discussed of the best ways to approach their hopes of expansion in the future, but it turns out that against all expectations, the answer came from the least likely source imaginable.

ch5%20B.JPG

Accepting that an alliance with the Porte Sublime was no longer possible, the Tsar of all Russias changed his strategy; ensure dominance by force of arms!

The mood in Athens was confusion at first. Weren't the Russians and the Turks allied just a few years ago? But when independent confirmations arrived of bloody battles south of the Caucasus mountains, King Constantine took swift action. Like in the very first days, decades ago, it was time to make good use of Russian expansionism. The armies of the Levant and those on the Northern borders moved in without hesitation.

ch5%20C.JPG

Greek armies advanced everywhere. The truce was now over, and Greek ambitions were less predictable than ever before.

With Ottoman troops largely pinned in the east, progress into the Balkans was easy. Every month, news of new victories arrived in Athens. One day, news came as far as far-flung America, where it was told the large-scale Confederate uprising had been crushed.

ch5%20D.JPG

It took well over four years, but in the end, the Union loyalists around Washington prevailed. Few cared in Greece, however...

The following months involved battles in Bulgaria and around Thrace, into which Athens' finest pushed gloriously. Sacrifice against the Turks was, by then, one of the most revered ends a Greek could meet according to the teachings of the Orthodox Church.

ch5%20E.JPG

Ottoman resistance was fierce still, despite a series of defeats, but Greek troops advanced everywhere nonetheless.

There was eventually a point where the collapse of the Ottoman fronts turned into a rout. For the first time in centuries, Greek advance was not stopped by men, or treaties, or foreign nations. The Greek leadership rejoiced, feeling triumph at hand. When the walls of the Holy City crumbled, the roar of triumph is said to have been heard even in Athens.

ch5%20F.JPG

The first fall of Istanbul was celebrated across the Greek world. Many thought that imminently, Constantinople would be truly Greek again!

ch5%20G.JPG

But despite the destruction of the Ottoman fleet and the fall of their capital, nothing was certain. Making peace with Russia, the Turks hoped for a miracle.

The scale of the victories were enormous, but now new pressures came from the West. Mighty Albion herself apparently hoped that the straights would remain Turkish, as hundreds of British warships set sail for the Mediterranean. London 'encouraged' Greece to seek the gains of victories elsewhere, creating a rift that would take a long time to heal. The Strategos were uninamous: war with Britain meant crushing defeat.

ch5%20H.JPG

As Greece was denied it's prize, it's lowly ally, Egypt, got hers. The fall of Ethiopia marked the maximal extent of it's southwards expansion

ch5%20I.JPG

In Geneva, Greece also agreed to a treaty that could limit it's military power but that would undoubtedly improve the moral edge of it's armies.

In light of British pressure, and of a series of suggestions for northward expansion instead, Athens was faced with a difficult choice. Constantinople and war, or the Balkans and peace?

The King hoped to be able to demand Albania, South Serbia and Macedonia in exchange for abandoning Constantinople, but even that was too much, it seemed. Deciding to push forwards with the old strategy of cutting the Ottoman Empire into pieces, he made a strange decision; despite the benefits of territorial continuity, in the name of the forests and the mines of Southern Serbia, Greece accepted for a time strange borders indeed.

ch5%20J.JPG

Greece would triumph once more, although the borders it's diplomats had negotiated were an eyesore. The King said: 'no matter, we will redraw them soon.'

The aftermath would see once against a massive expansion of Greek industry thanks to the newly-integrated Ottoman lands. But more than ever before, the temporary nature of the peace was plain for all to see. 1867 likely marked the first time in history where the Ottoman-Greek wars were no longer a matter of deciding a final border, but a battle for the utter destruction of the other faction, no matter the cost.

Yet, on his throne in Athens, the King smiled. Were these fools truly just understanding that now? The ancient banners of Byzantium were brought to the royal chambers that night, by the order of the King. "Now it is just a matter of time", he told his lovely young wife. The doctors and their calendars insisted lengthily; there is little doubt that it is that night that the heir of King was conceived. As the Greek troops shamefully withdrew from their sacred prize, returning Istanbul to the Ottomans, who could have thought that the first Emperor of the Reborn Dynasty was mere months away from his first breath?

Last edited:
Only one way; destroy them completely.

Thats the only boring part, makes the wars a bit predictable...

Is this really the only way to take Thrace? Paradox should make an event that changes the Ottos to Turkey and moves their capital to Anakara if they los their lands in Europe.

I know - I mean in my German game the Ottoman empire controls the exact same area as modern Turkey but they are still considered an "Empire"?????

Great Update, thank you Alerias! :)

I wouldnt consider it gamey if you modded the Ottoman Capital to Ankara.
(I myself would do that, its strange that Paradox didnt included such a decision i think)

Great Update, thank you Alerias! :)

I wouldnt consider it gamey if you modded the Ottoman Capital to Ankara.
(I myself would do that, its strange that Paradox didnt included such a decision i think)

I considered it, but I ultimately decided to go Vanilla, plus your nice map mods, of course.

It delayed things substantially, but... *shrugs* I suppose what matters is the end result :)