• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(221215)

Corporal
1 Badges
Aug 18, 2010
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
How can i unite italy? Everytime i try to take the countries that Italy has cores in, France and Austria always come and expel my ambassadors. So, i can never put them under my sphere of influence.

yea i'm having similar issues as sardinia piedmont. my strategy is to try to knock austria out of gp status... austria has lost to hegemon wars to prussia, lost moravia to prussia, and now has lost lombardy to me, but is still a long ways from falling out of the top 8. meanwhile i just managed to knock parma out of austria's sphere... so i think you just have to be patient. if austria gets weak, throw in a couple of humiliation wars.

but yea, forming italy is way tougher than forming germany. France keeps two 75k armies on my border... they can basically end my fun whenever they want.... no idea how i will get papal states.

How can i unite italy? Everytime i try to take the countries that Italy has cores in, France and Austria always come and expel my ambassadors. So, i can never put them under my sphere of influence.

It's a known issue. Italy rarely forms, and is very hard to form.

The modders have already begun fixing it, and I'm sure PI isn't far behind (but most likely not in patch 1.2).

yea i'm having similar issues as sardinia piedmont. my strategy is to try to knock austria out of gp status... austria has lost to hegemon wars to prussia, lost moravia to prussia, and now has lost lombardy to me, but is still a long ways from falling out of the top 8. meanwhile i just managed to knock parma out of austria's sphere... so i think you just have to be patient. if austria gets weak, throw in a couple of humiliation wars.

but yea, forming italy is way tougher than forming germany. France keeps two 75k armies on my border... they can basically end my fun whenever they want.... no idea how i will get papal states.

I've already annexed papal states, It's the others I'm having trouble with.

P.S Do i need Venice? It doesn't look like Italy has cores there?

I actually didn't have problems forming Italy as two Sicilys i didn't even end up annexing any other Italian power, all through influence, the trick is having a border with them all, the hardest place i had getting in my SOI was Sardinia and Piedmont, i ended up taking Lombardia from Austria and forcing them to release Venice (Im not sure if you need Venice but they do join you if you do get them)
try pouring only influencing one at a time as Austria and France generally divide their influence between different nations and as an Italian power you need only focus on them,

When i did it, after i was able to get any Italian state removed from someone elses influence the nation (France and Austria) immediately gave up and stopped influencing them at all which allowed me to focus at one at a time

I actually didn't have problems forming Italy as two Sicilys i didn't even end up annexing any other Italian power, all through influence, the trick is having a border with them all, the hardest place i had getting in my SOI was Sardinia and Piedmont, i ended up taking Lombardia from Austria and forcing them to release Venice (Im not sure if you need Venice but they do join you if you do get them)
try pouring only influencing one at a time as Austria and France generally divide their influence between different nations and as an Italian power you need only focus on them,

When i did it, after i was able to get any Italian state removed from someone elses influence the nation (France and Austria) immediately gave up and stopped influencing them at all which allowed me to focus at one at a time

At them moment i am trying to influence them all at the same time. Should i stop and concentrate on one?

What year were you at when you formed Italy?

In my experience, it's easier to just keep them out of the sphere of France and Austria, rather than adding them to your own. Just get your influence op to "Friendly" and push back any attempt by others to sphere the Italian states.

And unprotected, you can just annex them. It takes time too, with all the wars, truces and badboy, but let's be honest, it's a lot more fun to form it by military means rather than through influence.

A couple of things you can do to improve the rate at which you gain influence: have a border with the country, be more awesome, focus on one at a time. Both Austria and France will divide their attention over other parts of Europe, so it should, at some point, be possible to overtake any SoI country. Alternatively, you can demand that they release countries by means of war, but while Austria can be brought down when it's busy with Prussia, France is rather difficult to tackle.

Why bother with the peaceful influencing? The Great Powers game is not meant to be a peaceful pastime. If you can't take the Italian states from Austria's SOI peacefully, do so through war!

Just go to war with Austria, and demand that they release the states from their sphere. They will automatically go into your sphere. Costs only 4 infamy or so per state, and maybe 20 warscore. Easy enough if you overrun Austria.

Cha-Ching! Problem solved??

Why bother with the peaceful influencing? The Great Powers game is not meant to be a peaceful pastime. If you can't take the Italian states from Austria's SOI peacefully, do so through war!

Just go to war with Austria, and demand that they release the states from their sphere. They will automatically go into your sphere. Costs only 4 infamy or so per state, and maybe 20 warscore. Easy enough if you overrun Austria.

Cha-Ching! Problem solved??
You usually have to wait until Austria's is duking it out with Prussia for that though. Otherwise Austria probably just drowns you in manpower.

I'm not a great player but I managed to unify Italy (with exception of Sudtirol and Friuli) at my second game, it is only matter to achieve the pre-requisite for the decision "Cavour Politic" (I think it is the correct name).
I annexed the small states around tuscany, became great power, ceaded Savoy and Nice to France with the Cavour decision and suddendly papal state and two sicilies became part of my possession under the italian flag, no fight, no sphere of influence, no bothering with increase relationship with them, just stay very well friendly with France. Automatically you gain cores on Lombardia, Veneto, Friuli and Sudtirol. Then as the las post suggested I waited Austria being at war with Prussia and annexed Lombardia and Veneto. From 1900 onward I've not been able to keep veneto anymore as Austria is always declaring war and there is now ay for me to face austrian army (stack of 600+ armies, 60+ ships even with military pwoer score lower than mine).

Getting Austria out of GP status is hard, especially since other AI countries seem to have problems reaching the necessary prestige/industry/military scores, while Austria maintains an insane industry score even after losing Bohemia, Moravia and Lombardy.