Darkest Hour - Dev Diary #4 - Implementing Modifications

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think it's you that didn't understand it. How would it be possible to convert a mod with no time if there is a different map with different province ids??? :eek:

Anyway, if you read again the first post (especially the quote about the Kaiserreich Mod), you will see what kind of features are available in DH Core version (which is not Armageddon 1.3, but compatible with it).

Yeah, I stand corrected but I bet I wasn't the only one here on the forums to be mislead (by my own not reading enough material reason).
So yes, I was thinking how the hell can they convert sensibly all those ID's, they must be some kind of magicians or are just pulling our noses. As it turns out it's none of that.

This still sucks though. Anyways, don't bother with me, nothing to see here folks, go along, go along! .. ;)

The above sentence may give you the impressision that I agree with you (which I do, to an extent, there some things I'd love to seen in DH from AOD) but yet I've to disagree because I don't belive that making a "super dev team" to make the "ultimate" hoi2 is the best solution. While I belive AOD philosopy was to bring more deepnes to the game (by national ideas, advanced sliders, etc) by three very fine folks (wyk1ng, balesir & lennartos), Martin, ewphoenix, Gormadoc & Fernando Torres & the others thought more of making the game more moddable (& take advantage of it with the release of DH full that's been in dev for a very long period of time).

I think my point is that we could have got the best of both. There are quite a few things where everybody agrees it is an improvement such as mouse wheel support, variable screen resolution and even smart autosliders. Then there are the more game play related things like the retooling time. Even this you can easily put to zero, if you don't like it so it is also an improvement to have the option. For all these things you could have a joint development effort, where every team contributes its part.

And then there are the true game play decisions, for example events or maybe even different ways to change the AI, where you want different approaches just for the fun to try both.

So no big development team needed, just a little coordination between the teams to get the synergies.

I think my point is that we could have got the best of both. There are quite a few things where everybody agrees it is an improvement such as mouse wheel support, variable screen resolution and even smart autosliders. Then there are the more game play related things like the retooling time which you can easily put to zero, if you don't like it so it is also an improvement to have the option. For all these things you could have a joint development effort, where every team contributes its part.

And then there are the true game play decisions, for example events or maybe even different ways to change the AI, where you want different approaches just for the fun to try both.

So no big development team needed, just a little coordination between the teams to get the synergies.

Definitely +1!

Even though I know how it behaves, I also support AI behaviour. Then I can share my wonderful experiences against Poland.
It's really pretty much all about that.

A strategy game to stand out needs not to have nice gimmicks but an AI that provides a good challenge, IMHO. Not that the gimmicks aren't welcome though :)

It's really pretty much all about that.

A strategy game to stand out needs not to have nice gimmicks but an AI that provides a good challenge, IMHO. Not that the gimmicks aren't welcome though :)

Yeay, but I really felt like I failed in my Germany game. I used my old HoI2/AoD strategy and noticed that it didn't work at all.

I'll just say that the other allied troops (NZ, Canada, South Africa for example) now actually do something and use their allies' ports in their missions.

Yeay, but I really felt like I failed in my Germany game. I used my old HoI2/AoD strategy and noticed that it didn't work at all.

I'll just say that the other allied troops (NZ, Canada, South Africa for example) now actually do something and use their allies' ports in their missions.
That's very good news.

Looking forward to learn something more about the AI!

There are also many new nice automation options for trading. Maybe ewphoenix or whoever writes the next one should tell about that?

AI has gotta be the #1 thing on the list at the moment. Without proper AI this game will just be another weak attempt at making what HoI3 should have been.

As for trade: trade has (in my opinion) always been a bit weak in the HoI games, always been a fan of the Vicky trade system myself... but the amount of fruit and ivory the Soviet Union and USA had didn't win WWII. ;)