+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Darkest Hour - Dev Diary #4 - Implementing Modifications

Thank you, joeenochs, for taking the time to explain. I did google for orthogonal but I couldn't understand it in the context.

Well... As I played lots of AOD as well as been part of DH development for almost a year, I can agree with you that there are changes that differ from eachother, but far less than you might imagine (of course mouse wheel support is in DH).

But first I'd like to know that we're on the same page (not being sarcastic or anything) but you're aware of the differences between DH and DH full (the "mod" that has the new map, etc)?

When it comes to compare regular DH to AOD, I find them pretty similiar. While DH increased performance drastically, AOD introduced more sliders, etc. DH full on the other hand is different story since it makes use of a new map, new scenarios, etc, but since it's optional, I stick to comparing AOD vs DH.

The above sentence may give you the impressision that I agree with you (which I do, to an extent, there some things I'd love to seen in DH from AOD) but yet I've to disagree because I don't belive that making a "super dev team" to make the "ultimate" hoi2 is the best solution. While I belive AOD philosopy was to bring more deepnes to the game (by national ideas, advanced sliders, etc) by three very fine folks (wyk1ng, balesir & lennartos), Martin, ewphoenix, Gormadoc & Fernando Torres & the others thought more of making the game more moddable (& take advantage of it with the release of DH full that's been in dev for a very long period of time).

Two rather different approaches, yet two different approaches I love to play and honestly, I'm more than happy to support the guys with 10, 15 or 20$ because I know how much work it is (I just sat 2 hours trying to create a good tech tree background for 0$ hehe) and I know how much I enjoy playing with it.

With that said, of course I think that now when more than one fan made game are out (AOD, IC, DH & more...), I truly belive that the spirit of the original fans & modders makes the developes look "what's good with that? would it fit our philosopy? could it be further developed?" will make each patch even better because I honestly belive, that neiter MartinBG, Lennartos or quintelosky are in it for the money. They are in it because the are very fond of HOI2 (and been for a long time considering how long they've been here) and each of them & their team have their own vision how to make the game more enjoyable, historical, plausiable, moddable & whatever their aim may be.

Whats the difference between DH full and DH light in relation to Mods?

Does this two version thingy mean that mods are only playable with the light version?

Seeing as there is (supposedly) no fierce competition between the AoD and DH teams, couldn't you guys agree to work together at least on things of which both games could benefit from, if major "philosophical" differences make the total amalgamation of the two projects impossible.

For example, I see that the AoD team has done some brilliant work concerning the AI code and also performance improvements, both of which could be adapted to DH. Likewise, DH's distance calculation system would make AoD even better.

200k clubDarkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIIron Cross
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold

Blog Entries
    I think it was said that there could be cooperation between DH and AoD.
    I guess it depends on how much people want it

Darkest Hour Developer MartinBG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ch_ReI View Post
    Whats the difference between DH full and DH light in relation to Mods?

Does this two version thingy mean that mods are only playable with the light version?
    Both DH Light and DH Full are mods to DH.
    DH Light uses vanilla map and scenarios, but has most of the new DH engine features enabled (advanced mission control, new distance calculations...), while DH Full has the new map, scenarios and so.

Actually, that does touch upon a question... how does mods to mods work? That is, if you want to make a mod based on DH Full, do you have to overwrite the DH Full folder (more likely, make a copy of it, and put in the install instructions of the mod that the player should do the same), or can you instruct the game to look at DH Full first and then your mod-folder, with one's mod taking precedence?

Quote Originally Posted by LordInsane View Post
    Actually, that does touch upon a question... how does mods to mods work? That is, if you want to make a mod based on DH Full, do you have to overwrite the DH Full folder (more likely, make a copy of it, and put in the install instructions of the mod that the player should do the same), or can you instruct the game to look at DH Full first and then your mod-folder, with one's mod taking precedence?
    Two options here:
    1. Make a copy of DH Full and modify it
    2. Copy DH Full to main game folder (making it the default game) and use Moddir for your modification

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBG View Post
    Both DH Light and DH Full are mods to DH.
    DH Light uses vanilla map and scenarios, but has most of the new DH engine features enabled (advanced mission control, new distance calculations...), while DH Full has the new map, scenarios and so.
    Well yes. But what happens if you put a mod ontop of it.
    Does it run as DH light + mod with the vanilla map and stuff or do i get the hole DH with my mod?

I don't get the question. Please clarify.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Warlock: Master of the Arcane500k club

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 110372768987552, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
    So well documented that it makes it easy! THANK YOU!

I CAN HARDLY WAIT!

- Sword the Excited Modder
    Enter the Wastelands - Fallout's Doomsday Mod for Darkest Hour
    Link: Paradox Forum Thread
    Link: FODD on MODDB website

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Warlock: Master of the Arcane500k club

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 110372768987552, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
    I seriously wish that fans of AoD would post their viewpoints in an appropriate thread and not continue that discussion in this thread which is about modding support in DH. Two completely unrelated topics.

Cheers,
    Sword
    Enter the Wastelands - Fallout's Doomsday Mod for Darkest Hour
    Link: Paradox Forum Thread
    Link: FODD on MODDB website

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBG View Post
    I don't get the question. Please clarify.
    Well, their are two versions of DH. Light with some less stuff in it than full.
    So the question is, what happens if you chose to play with a mod. Witch version of DH will the mod use. The light version with vanilla map and all or the full version with the beautiful new map.

Neither of those.
    DH Light and DH Full are mods by themselves. They can be modified and/or used as a foundation for other mods(make a copy of the folder and mod it), but by default the core (files in game's main folder) of the game will be used as a base for mods.

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

How is the core (unmodded) version different from DH Light and DH Full?

Core(None in mods selection) - all new features are either disabled or set to Armageddon 1.3 defaults to maintain max. compatibility with existing 1.3 mods.
    Light - same as core, except that most of the new features are enabled.
    Full - new map and so on.

HoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCommander: Conquest of the AmericasEuropa Universalis 3Galactic Assault
    Lead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldShip Simulator Extremes
    Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    I can't think why anybody would play other ones expect Full Will this screen come up every time you want to play DH and click the icon on desktop ?
    'Darkest Hour', a 1914-1964 Grand Strategy Game

32? Oh.... whyyy... 69 is much a nicer sounding number...

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg32 View Post
    I can't think why anybody would play other ones expect Full Will this screen come up every time you want to play DH and click the icon on desktop ?
    You can run the game directly from the game executable too. Last used mod and settings will be used in this case.

HoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCommander: Conquest of the AmericasEuropa Universalis 3Galactic Assault
    Lead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldShip Simulator Extremes
    Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Great idea, can't wait for the game, IC comes out in 2 days so will get some of the flavour of DH already
    'Darkest Hour', a 1914-1964 Grand Strategy Game

32? Oh.... whyyy... 69 is much a nicer sounding number...

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    SengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Aha, that's why 1.3 Armageddon mods are so quick to convert to DH!!!

Well if DH core is actually Armageddon 1.3 then I would say that DH team made a bit of a unmoral thingy when it was promoting it's product via "all existent mods can be converted to DH in no time" since one would expect converting existent mods to DH would also make those mods have all the new features DH brings together with DH's new map.

Lose your honour on these forums and I'll make you commit seppuku

Go check out my AoD CORE 0.60 AAR!

I think it's you that didn't understand it. How would it be possible to convert a mod with no time if there is a different map with different province ids???

Anyway, if you read again the first post (especially the quote about the Kaiserreich Mod), you will see what kind of features are available in DH Core version (which is not Armageddon 1.3, but compatible with it).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast