• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LodovicoAriosto

Field Marshal
46 Badges
Mar 5, 2008
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • March of the Eagles
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Pillars of Eternity
After playing WiF as Germany, SU, Italy, USA and Japan I must say that the most difficult is a German campaign.

Japan and Italy is easier to play because GER doesn't have those human player penalties so you only need to help them a bit in Barbarossa and crushing the UK.

WiFItaly1.jpg

WiFItaly2.jpg

What was your build up strategy early ? How much in IC ? How much in airforce - have you build navs/tacs/cas or only interceptors ? Navy, have you built anything new ?

Two rounds of IC first. Then focus on building 4 paras + transport planes. Some TPs, TACs, two stacks of INTs. Just enough to secure an invasion to the UK.

I abandonded Africa and moved my 40 infantry divs to Germany-conquered Cherbourg for invasion, had only 9 TPs. Dropped paras to Bristol (only 2 UK divs there) while combined with amphibious attack.

It took me several months during 1940 to defeat the British on their own soil. Then I moved to Iraq and Persia (which joined Allies via event) and helped Germans with the most of my army (roughly 60 divs in that time). I attacked through Caucasus and to the East towards IC-rich provinces like Alma Ata, Novosibirsk etc.

In 1946 I invaded the US with roughly 90 divs.

Basically I defeated the whole Allies, Comintern and China with 90 divs of infantry, roughly 12 bombers and 12 fighters. No manual DoWs to anyone, joined Axis after Albanian war.

Just remember that if you play Japan or Italy, German AI does not have those severe penalties which apply for a human German player. This fact made the game much easier.

EDIT: Important note!

Since I joined the Axis in 39 I could make a landing in Oran (French northern Africa), move paratroopers to its airbase and get Gibraltar (no beach) before Vichy France event and without DoWing Spain. This was crucial for the invasion of the UK in 1940.

One amusing thing - the US dropped 2 atomic bombs - one on Eniwetok in the Pacific (against Japan) and one on Bermuda (where I had some naval bombers before the invasion to America).

Last edited:
Brilliant strategy, a bit gamey though. Also a bit disapointing that invasion of England is so easy even with a mod that is considered by many as one of the most challenging and realistic ones. :/ In reality a succesful Sealion "made in Italy" is completly absurd.

Quick question. Very early in game an event fires that changes the ground conbat efficiency (or whatever it's called) modfier of Italian army to 0,7. It says something about army being obsolete, etc... How do i get rid of it, research, upgrading existing oboslete units or both or something else ?

Last edited:
Brilliant strategy, a bit gamey though. Also a bit disapointing that invasion of England is so easy even with a mod that is considered by many as one of the most challenging and realistic ones. :/ In reality a succesful Sealion "made in Italy" is completly abusrd.

SeaLion was quite hard since I had to combine paras, landing and bombing to get over 2 divs in Bristol quickly. Furthermore, I had only 9 TPs so those first invasion forces nearly got destroyed before I could send reinforcements from France.

I basically followed the historical path without any manual DoWs to Spain etc. Paradropping to Gibraltar from Oran can be seen as gamey but you cannot win with Italy if you play like Italy in real life, that is - getting bogged in Africa forever and watch Soviets crushing Germany.

EDIT: I think that GDE increased in 39 or 40 via event. I doubt it depends on what you do, I think there is just a time-span for GDE-rise event to fire.

This is not my point. Germany probably didn't have real chance in winning with SU but at least they came quite close - if they had attacked a few weeks earlier then maybe (just MAYBE) they could have taken Moscow before winter and then MAYBE it would be enough to collapse Soviets morale. Or maybe not. Maybe there wasn't chance at all in the first place. But at least it is not in the realm of absurdity. A Sealion by Italy (ITALY for God's sake !) is on a completly different level of madness imho !

This is not my point. Germany probably didn't have real chance in winning with SU but at least they came quite close - if they had attacked a few weeks earlier then maybe (just MAYBE) they could have taken Moscow before winter and then MAYBE it would be enough to collapse Soviets morale. Or maybe not. Maybe there wasn't chance at all in the first place. But at least it is not in the realm of absurdity. A Sealion by Italy (ITALY for God's sake !) is on a completly different level of madness imho !

Yes, it is. Italy was absolutely not prepared for war, it failed in Africa, in Greece, in Yugoslavia. The Italian engagement in war was just a whim caused by seemingly German European superiority at the time.

I just tried and succeeded in the challenge of this brilliant mod - win as Italy without any manual DoWs.

Have you used any other gamey tactics - like abandoning your doctrine to take blietzkrieg ?
My favourite one is to ally with Germany in 1936 - they give you all blueprints you need - usually for free and later you can abandon this alliance before the war starts and then re-ally with them in 1940 or whatever. Probably not because you wrote about alliance in 39.

No. I have not used any strategies usually called "gamey". No blitzkrieg doctrine, no early joining etc.

I joined just in time to get into war in September 39.

There is no magic in this - you really need just 60 infantry, several bombers and TPs + some paratroopers to win WiF as Italy. When used effectively, this army is enough. Easy as that.

In WiF it is not easy. The UK has got locked garrisons all over their island so you wouldn't do it without paratroopers. They are very expensive so I think it is quite balanced this way.

I know there are locked garrisons. Why ? Because it is the only way to combat the AI stupidity who can't defend Great Britain (or any other country for that matter) against sea/airborne invasions.
My point: if it is possible to invade succesfully the British Isles as ITALY (even if it is very hard to do) at all then the whole operation is too easy. As Italy it should be completly and absolutely impossible. As Germany it should be extremely difficult.
I'm not saying you didn't do great job because you did. I am sure it was difficult - as i said before - brilliant strategy on your part. However, you shouldn't have been able to pull this off at all and this makes me sad about this game. I hoped that one of the most challenging and realistic mods (supposedly) will prevent this completly.