• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

mjj55409

Sergeant
83 Badges
Oct 28, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
My French AAR is still ongoing, but I have just about played through that game. So I will finish it; it is now just a matter of consistent updates. I didn't plan to start another AAR before that one finished, but I decided to start one for the contest.

After France, I wanted to play something a little smaller, but I didn't really want to jump into the deep end of the uncivilized world. I decided on Sardina-Piedmont for a couple of reasons: (1) a goal of uniting Italy will be interesting and (2) I love Piemonte. I've spent many holidays there and I could spend many more. :D

So, onward. This is with version 1.1 (obviously) with the minimum wage tweak. Plus the Map Improvement Package for the contest. It will be mostly in the style of a game-play AAR, and I'm going to try to write it as I play, so I'll have no foreknowledge of what happens.

Chapter 1: 1836 -- The Beginning
Chapter 2: 1837 - 1840 -- Northern Expansion
Chapter 3: 1840 -- Industrial Awakening
Chapter 4: 1843 -- Africa!

Last edited:
1836 -- The Beginning

The very first step is to provide direction to my researchers. Army Technology is tempting, but the Piemontese have no knowledge of railroads, so that really is the obvious first choice.

101201094309pm.png

Our single National Focus point is set to attract clergy in Turin (for the literacy) and the initial budget is set.

101201094842pm.png

At this point, we need to take stock of our neighbors. Is there some territory we can grab before the alliance are all formed? Directly to our north is Switzerland. Grabbing Eastern Switzerland is an option, but their mountainous terrain makes them less than palatable. Parma is directly to our east, but she is already in the sphere of the Austrians. No thanks. What about Modena? A single province nation, so the infamy cost is big -- 20 right off the bat. But one of those provinces contains iron.

101201095658pm.png

So yes, that's it. War is declared, and February 1836 opens with the two armies squaring off on the plains of Modena.

101201095843pm.png

101201095932pm.png

We "won" that battle by forcing the retreat, even though we suffered a greater loss in casualties. But with no where to retreat to, the army of Modena was dispersed. Now it was just a matter of waiting out the sieges.

1012010100124pm.png

Notice the budget number in the shot above. Piemonte started the war with a positive budget and a decent reserve, but as a small power, war is very expensive.

Once the sieges were over in early June and Modena agreed to annexation, Piemonte had incurred 1207£ in debt.

1012010100436pm.png

But the budget crisis wasn't over yet. Even though the war was over, it took until the end of the year until the budget was positive again. Meanwhile, Piemonte was hemorrhaging citizens.

1012010100717pm.png

Correspondingly, when the Upper House of Parliament was assembled in January, the reactionaries had the largest gains.

1012010101047pm.png

Piemonte had successfully annexed Modena. But at what cost?

Last edited:
I really like the title name, sounds quite ambitious. I will be following.

Thank you for taking part in the contest and good luck!
Linked your thread in the contest list, i will follow of course :)

A nice first chapter, well see how you will escape the french and austrian grip on that region,
and eventually even be able to form italy?

2 Suggestions if i may add,
a chapter link-list in the first posting is allways helpfull,
and maybe you could write alittle more to make it more fancyfull
and a bit longer, but thats up to you :)

Looking forward to read the next chapters =)

Last edited:
Wooo, nice to see your entry here, mjj55409! Looks like Piemonte's gonna crash through the opposition like tissue paper! I've heard it's ultra-beautiful myself... Yet another place to check out one day. Too bad it's impossible to hop trains overseas. xD Looks like Piemonte did great - eating up Modena looks profitable, and I think you did an excellent job of getting through the budget crisis... But we'll be keeping an eye on those reactionaries.

1837 - 1840 -- Northern Expansion

By the end of 1837, the budget was again solidly in the black. This was helped in large part by the discovery of gold in Sassari. The influx immediately accounted for 1/3 of the monies coming into the treasury on a daily basis.

The government immediately commissioned two artillery divisions to be recruited and outfitted, adding the first big guns to the Piemontese army.

In 1838, Sardinia-Piemonte had a good base of artisans, and capitalists had opened a Canned Food factory. With a solid budget now in place, the government also commissioned the building of a cement factory in Turin.

103201040040pm.png

In 1839, war between Prussia and Austria drew in most of the secondary powers on one side or the other. Piedmonte stayed neutral, having just signed a treaty with Paris, placing itself inside the French SOI.

103201040709pm.png

In early February, 1839, a Piemontese citizen was arrested by the Swiss in the commune Saint-Rhémy-en-Bosses on charges of spying.

103201040901pm.png

The more jingoistic members of parliament seized on this incident as a means to declare war on Switzerland and seize the provinces of Eastern Switzerland. The Swiss were not aligned with any of the Great Powers at the time, so a regional dispute between Switzerland and Sardinia-Piemonte would probably not draw a great deal of interest. Debate raged for a couple of weeks with the citizens being inflamed by the daily papers. Then on 19 February 1839 war was declared.

103201042341pm.png

The reserves were mobilized and the Piemontese army took up positions in Annecy and Novara, hoping to draw the Swiss out of the mountains. The ploy worked, and on 5 March 1839 12000 Swiss forces met a Piemontese army of 19000 in the Battle of Novara.

103201042450pm.png

The fighting lasted for 3 weeks, with fresh forces joining the battle on each side, ending in a brutal defeat for the Swiss. The Swiss in this one battle, lost 57% of its effectives.

103201042816pm.png

After its victory in the Battle of Novara, the Piemontese army pushed into Switzerland. In July and again in August, there were pitched battles outside of Geneva. In both case, the Swiss were defeated.

103201043418pm.png

By the end of August the Piemontese were in control of Geneva. Though the Swiss launched one last desperate attempt to free the province in September.

103201043724pm.png

On 30 November 1839, the tattered remnants of the Swiss army surrendered to the Piemontese in Sitten.

103201043943pm.png

But it took until March 1840 for the Swiss government to admit defeat, conceding Eastern Switzerland to Sardinia-Piemonte.

103201044058pm.png

103201044229pm.png

Last edited:
Good to see you suceeding in aquirering new lands. I am not sure i would have taken the swiss lands, they are a rebellious bunch ;)
The Goldmine was truly a lucky stroke for you, that should make balancing alot easier =)

Thank you for the 2nd Chapter! :)

Good start! When I played as S-P I also went for Modena right off the bat, but I never went for East Switzerland. 20 infamy might sound like a lot, but S-P doesn't need to do much more conquering (without a casus belli, as in the Swiss case) for the next one or two decades (surrounded, as it is, by states in the SOI's of France or Austria), so that infamy will be wiped clean. I got that goldmine in Sardinia too, so it must be programmed to appear there. It does help a lot with the finances.

I await your next chapters!

Hopefully the Svizzeri'll assimilate quickly back into the country that spawned their mother tongue! If not, you'll just have to appease their homesickness for the Alps by taking Western Switzerland as well... Although for now, it seems wise to play it safe and enjoy a time of growth and prosperity.

1840 -- Industrial Awakening

In 1840, after the war with the Swiss, the House of Savoy embarked on an ambitious planning of building. Formulated were plans for a centralized rail service, running from Turino to Alexandria, north to Lucerne, with plans to extend the line from the port of Genoa to the coal mines of Annency.

105201075406am.png

With the excitement of the Industrial Revolution building throughout Europe, the intention was to build the Kingdom of Sardinia into an industrial power. This undoubtedly will take a while, but all great journeys start with a first step.

105201080255am.png

The crown also commissioned the building of a two additional factories, a liquor distillery in Sardegna and a glass factory in East Switzerland. In addition, members of the newly burgeoning capitalist class were trying to drum up support for a clothing factory in Turino.

105201080224am.png

The plan was indeed was ambitious and would take some time to take hold. Records from the end of 1846 show that Sardinia-Piemonte was still largely an agrarian economy with the new factories mostly struggling.

105201080316am.png

The period from 1840 - 1845 was also marked by liberal stirrings, and a rather rocky assimilation process for the newly acquired peoples of East Switzerland.

105201073845am.png
105201073723am.png

105201073635am.png
105201073750am.png

All of this led to June 1845 when the absolute monarchy of the House of Savoy was successfully challenged and a limited constitutionalism was implemented.

105201081816am.png

The first elections were called, and in December 1845, the first ruling party was in place in Turino.

105201082907am.png

1843 -- Africa!

The burgeoning industrialization of the Sardinia-Piemonte kingdom highlighted some problems. A rather large one was a scarcity of resources. A lot of the building projects were stalled just because the material goods needed for construction could not be obtained. Clearly Sardinia-Piemonte needed to expand its markets.

This, of course, was one of the primary driving factors for all of the European colonial powers. The Savoies saw this, they saw France, Spain, and the Netherlands dividing North Africa. Camillo Benso, Count of Cavour, one of the leading figures in the Sardinia government, saw this the most clearly. He also understood that there was no way that Sardinia could be expected to compete with France for Mediterranean North Africa.

1052010101845am.png

Conte di Cavour as Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Sardinia

So with French blessing, Cavour looked further east. The Eastern Mediterranean was mostly the domain of the Ottomans. And though the Turks were weakening, Cavour didn't feel that a direct challenge of their power was wise. So Cavour looked to Egypt, particularly the Damyat (Damietta) region, control of which would give the Sardinians not only a port in the Eastern Mediterranean, but also a route to the Gulf of Suez, the Red Sea, and a pathway to Asia.

Though at this point Egypt was also a growing power. They had successfully fought a war with the Ottomans, securing a portion of the Ottoman Empire for Egypt. In August 1843, Sardinia was presented with an opportunity. Egypt declared war on Ethiopia. With the Egyptian army distracted in the South, Sardinia would strike at the North.

1052010102627am.png

On 27 October 1843, war was declared.

1052010102859am.png

The only resistance the Sardinian army faced was from Egyptian rebel forces, as the entirety of the Egyptian army was in Ethiopia.

1052010103035am.png

On 2 April 1844, Egypt extracted peace from Ethiopia. They were now free to face the Sardinian forces.

The Battle of Tanta occurred in early July 1844.

1052010103452am.png

Followed by a battle for Cairo in late July.

1052010103544am.png

The combination of Sardinian cavalry and the new muzzle-loaded rifles of the infantry proved insurmountable. Both battles were major losses for the Egyptians, with the Egyptian army completely surrendering in Cairo.

1052010103647am.png

By December, Sardinian forces were in control of the capital in Cairo, and the Egyptians conceded defeat.

1052010103946am.png

The Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmonte had secured for herself a nice piece of land in Northern Africa.

1052010102529am.png

Egypt will bog you down if you try to annex it. I say, go for Lombardy when the Austrians are fighting Prussia! Just don't call the French (you should be in their SOI by now), since they may have their own designs as war leaders.

Well done, great update, i am sure Egypt wont give you a break as soon as the truce is over to get back their piece of land.
Be on the watch for weakness in Austria and the italian states, you might be able to profit there :)

Thanks for the comments everyone. I really appreciate it.

Well done, great update, i am sure Egypt wont give you a break as soon as the truce is over to get back their piece of land.
Be on the watch for weakness in Austria and the italian states, you might be able to profit there :)

With luck, Egypt will have enough to worry about with Sicily declaring war every 5 years.

And you all were a very big help. I wasn't paying enough attention to conditions in Austria. That changes with the next update. :)