• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'd like to thank all of the judges for their work! I'm sure it's not easy to read through all the AARs, trying to be as fair as possible spreading the points according to Alexspeed's magic point system. :D

I'll include more detailed comments later, but I want to put this out there to salve the feelings of a couple of the authAARs (and I would also to others whose placements didn't do their talents justice).

Judges, of course, have their different tastes and opinions, and things they look for in an AAR. For what it's worth, I was shocked that Brandenburg III (Bukkhara) and Surume (Iceland) didn't rank in the top 10! :) I ranked them 5th and 6th overall, respectively.

Great work, both of you!

I'll include more detailed comments on these AARs and others later, after the results are all known.

Thanks, Alex, for asking me to participate, and for the joy and honour of doing so! It's been great fun, and I've been able to explore some very good AARs!

Rensslaer

Aye you judges must have had a hard time especially because many of the AARs are so different that it is hard to compare them imo.

The difficulty, for me, was not so much related to the differences between chosen nations or anything like it, as of the overall quality of all the AARs.

Even the AARs ranked 16 to 19 were really good. I only ranked 'em last because they didn't complete the requirements...

The nice idea of Alexspeed was to have that many judges, to avoid the bias cause because people often one style or the other...

I'll my ranking tommorrow, and post commentaries in some of the AAR threads ;)

We are beginning the countdown with this AAR, Rank 10:

6183652contest-placement-10.jpg

Poh - A Pope's Tale - A Papal States AARhttp://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?505356-A-Pope-s-Tale-A-Papal-States-AAR

Finally we are at the lucky ones, and i am really happy for you to be among them!
Your AAR ranked number 10, it was very close, but neverthless you made it.

Your AAR is also some kind of Favorite for me,
altough i have nothing about the pope or the Papal State,
its more the humor and the "Popaphant" ;)

You made your AAR very unique and entertaining in a quite short time,
a good achievement, also with a nation that is hard to play.
Its actually hard to belive its your first AAR!

You where most of the time very little under the 10th place,
only with the final score you got enough to jump 2 places
and get the number 10 sunny spot. I was happy that you did :)

You didnt got any 99 Scores, if you had you would have ranked even higher!

Keep up the great writing, I, and many of your readers,
look forward to read more of you! :)

I thank you for competing, congratulate you to your Top 10 Score, and i wish you all the best!

Being in the Top10 without any particularly high score (ie. no 99) means that you were liked by mostly everyone. I guess it can worth more than having one or two extra-high scores and low ones otherwise...

I feel delighted to have been able to participate and even getting to the middle of such a hard field of competitors :) even though I have had a little help as my gf read the chapters and corrected the worst spelling ^^. The Popaphant however is not taking it well ... it is sitting in the corner weeping :p

On the way to number one we are now at the AAR with the Rank 9:

9384097contest-placement-09.jpg

TekcoR - Beer, Chocolate, Waffles and a Road - A History of the Benelux

Your AAR ranked number 9, congratulations!
For you it was also a close thing to get into the Top 10.

Your AAR is unique in alot of aspects.
I truly did enjoy reading about "Brother Jacobs" and his madness.
It was a skillfull balance between humor & character writing i would say.

Sometimes, i think, the pictures & the gameplay come a little short on your AAR,
but that is your style, like you do your updates too. So thats perfectly fine.
The readers of your AAR will surely agree with me :)

You made alot of short updates, it was hard for me to get it included
in the pattern that i wanted the contestor AAR´s to be,
but you found a good way to make chapters, so everything went fine :)

You dropped in and out of the Top 10 several times,
in the end you got enough points to be Rank 9.
Strangely you didnt got any 99 Scores,
i would have expected you to get some.

Dont ever change your style, its great to read your AAR and i am looking forward to read more :)

I thank you for competing, congratulate you to your Top 10 Score, and i wish you all the best!

I would like to thank Alexspeed and Paradox for hosting this Epic event, and also the invite to judge. I personally rated each AAR on several different areas: writing style (ie...story or narrative), image use (screen shots and "historical" images) with extra points being given to eye pleasing pics and placement, AAR content (did the player attempt something grand?), and humor. My top 4 were very close, great job all!

EDIT: and yes it was VERY hard to judge due to the high quality of work by all writers!

Aww, Waffles already? I did expect this to be even higher, but I suppose some might not enjoy the style as much as I did, it somehow reminded me of either Terry Pratchet or Douglas Adams in the way it 'wanders'..

I almost gave it extra points for its name ;)

We are now at the AAR ranked number 8:

6424540contest-placement-08.jpg

Forgiven - Legacy of Metternich - Austrian AAR

Your AAR ranked number 8, congratulations!
It was a sure thing you will be in the Top 10
from the first judges score till the last one.

I truly enjoyed reading about Austria in your AAR,
and not only because i am from there,
but because its a great and enjoyable read!

We allready talked about your detailed battles,
maybe alittle too detailed, but enjoyable neverthless.
Its a different perspective on the gameplay
than most other AAR´s take.

I think you made also the most updates from all contestors!
And with a very good time span between them,
you also got alot of readers, and thats proof that your AAR is very good! :)

You where allways in the Top 10, the highest you ranked was 4.
For quite a while you where in the top 6 and only lost some ground in the end.
That you only accieved one 99 score might be the reason you dropped to 8.

It was a pleasure to read your great AAR! :)

Thank you to all the judges! Im very glad that i got 13 with my first AAR, :D

And Thank you to Alexspeed for hosting the contest! heres to many more!

Keep writing! (I had you higher than 13)

I am not replying alot to all of you because i work my ass off to update as fast as i can,
be sure all your comments are very appreciated & thanks for all the good wishes and the gratulations,
thanks for dropping in, i am updating again :)

9th Place isn't bad I think, I actually expected I would be a lot lower, just because sometimes the character is harder to follow. Thanks Judges.

Number 7 is the next AAR on the way to the top:

8501571contest-placement-07.jpg

Polar Mongoose - ¡Viva ArgentinAAR!

Your AAR ranked number 7, congratulations!
The last one to join the contest, with his first AAR and still in the Top 10.
You must have made something right ;)

Following Argentinias way through your AAR was very inspiring,
so much that i actually played a Argentinia game!
See what you did there :)

I really liked your AAR, i somehow have something for Argentinia,
not sure why, but for me it was somehow special.
You where mostly focused on the gameplay, thats a solid ground to base a AAR on,
and I personally enjoy those normally most (with exceptions).

The fact that you didnt had a 99 points score wasnt
in the way for you to get a great place in this contest!
This shows that your AAR pleased most of the judges.
The most time you where going up and down between rank 10 and 6.

It was great to read your AAR, please dont stop writing, with practise you will only get even better! :)

9th Place isn't bad I think, I actually expected I would be a lot lower, just because sometimes the character is harder to follow. Thanks Judges.

I really liked your style. You could even have had a better not, if it hadn't been for your continuous negative comments on France, calling us frogs in each and every updates... Sorry, i'm french and proud of it :eek:o

And i would have done the same for any writer making any negative comments on any country...

Ah, thank you, in my acceptance speech I'd like to thank all the readers, organizer(s) and judges, even though the fact that I didn't know who they were reduced the bribing opportunities. Then again I was sure I'd be in top 10 when I signed up. The moment contestant number 11 signed up did drop my hopes quite a bit thou, so I'm happy to have gotten this high.

Status
Not open for further replies.