• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Besuchov

Studio Manager, PDS
Paradox Staff
64 Badges
Mar 6, 2001
  • Sengoku
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Impire
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Diplomacy
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
"Of what real value is a title? The power is the only important thing"

This week we have been busy with some of the stuff that gives this expansion its name, namely some country specific mechanics for Japan (we are also working on China but that's for another week).

First, a little on why we are doing this. Europa Universalis in its current state is a game that spans six centuries and the entire globe, and all this with an ambition to make a game that feels historical yet is also fun at the same time. Naturally, we had to focus on certain areas and this means that while you might feel the game gives a good enough feel when playing European countries, the experience suffers when it comes to countries like Japan or China. Now, the time has come to add another layer of game play to these countries.

So, what are we doing with Japan? As many of you know, Japan was a very divided country during this era, and we are trying to bring a little bit of this into the game. We have been playing around with the rules for Japan in a way that brings out the internal dynamics without changing the EU3 game play too much. What we ended up with was a system where you can play one of four Daimyos, struggling for the power of Shogun. Only one of these Daimyos can at any time hold the title of Shogun, and only the Shogun can do diplomacy with the outside world.

Some of the more historically savvy among you will notice that the map at the start of the game doesn't really look like a historical map of Japan at the time. The reason for this is that the areas controlled by different families in the era were often fractured and the families rose and fell in a way that doesn't really work within the constraints of EU3. We hope that we can capture the feel of the period even if we don't get the geography exactly right. If you think I'm wrong... well, everything is moddable as usual. :)
The Shogun has a special value called Authority which represents his standing with the other Daimyos and with the emperor. As this value increases or decreases, the Daimyos get access to more or less diplomatic options that they can use in their internal power struggle (Daimyos can only do diplomacy within Japan though). Should the Shogun's authority fall too low, he will be forced to resign and a bitter struggle ensues, with all Daimyos competing to make the others recognize them as the new Shogun through war or diplomacy. Should Japan be attacked by foreigners though, all the factions will instantly unite to see off the invaders.

There are a lot more fine points to this system of course, but I hope to have given you a taste of what you can expect. Next week I'll mention something about China.

Attachments

• shogunate.png
    0 bytes · Views: 12.532
Sure sounds as a lot of fun to play a Japanese Daimyo. Awesome flags/shields too :cool: I wonder if it will be noticeably different for European nations' dealings with the Far East though.

Modding question: will it be possible to duplicate this shogunate and authority system, for example for France and her vassals?

Finally!

Sounds very HRE like, but much more static and united. :) Very promising, I hoped it would be something similar. I'm curious to the details of "There are a lot more fine points to this system". I guess that will define how much it'll add to gameplay.

This does sound interesting. If I get it I'm sure have to try Japan once but still waiting for more on general gameplay improvements..and culture specific building too!

Ah, who am I fooling. 98% chance of purchase.

Lookin good.

Awesome :)

How long have i waited for this screenshot ! :cool:

There are a lot of new provinces there.. Is that just for internal purposes and the "real" provinces consists of several of these small ones? It seems like there could be problems with the balance compared to other nations if they are treated like ordinary provinces.

I do like the updated map alot but don't like the way the flags are placed. They seemed darker and placed or waving so they more difficult see quickly. Remember thinking that with the Europe shot in DD1. Of course this shot of Japan it is near impossible to tell with a glance.

so japan is a minor HRE and the lesser parts cannot engage in foreign diplomacy? we'll see where that leads ... no alliances with the koreans or chinese to become the new shogun? :D

Cool. Japan unite against foreign power!!

I do like the updated map alot but don't like the way the flags are placed. They seemed darker and placed or waving so they more difficult see quickly.
The problem is you see them from straight above, that is what is making it harder to see them :eek:o

Is the Shogun system really like a "second" HRE system accessible in the same game? And can you mod in even more? If so, you could use it to do a Commonwealth system or even a more generic vassal/overlord relationship by giving the leader of such alliances the leader title and opening up special coalition wide decision. That would be way past cool.

Erm...

Is it me, or the clans selected were indeed major powers in Nippon...
...but ~200 years before game starts?

Seems about right.

The Taira were one of the four important clans that dominated Japanese politics during the Heian period (794-1185) - the others were the Fujiwara, the Tachibana and the Minamoto.

But as explained it's an abstraction.

Some of the more historically savvy among you will notice that the map at the start of the game doesn't really look like a historical map of Japan at the time. The reason for this is that the areas controlled by different families in the era were often fractured and the families rose and fell in a way that doesn't really work within the constraints of EU3. We hope that we can capture the feel of the period even if we don't get the geography exactly right.

Sure sounds as a lot of fun to play a Japanese Daimyo. Awesome flags/shields too :cool: I wonder if it will be noticeably different for European nations' dealings with the Far East though.

Modding question: will it be possible to duplicate this shogunate and authority system, for example for France and her vassals?

that would be awesome :O

Nice Dev :D

Somehow I feel four Daimyo's is a bit low... but I'm not a history buff so I'm not sure how historical that would be.
Increasing the number might provide for a more interesting internal struggle, I think...

Sounds good otherwise, though.