• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm still reading - it's very interesting to someone who plays Pagans and Tribals :rofl:

Overall I suspect you possibly need a little more narrative in some posts so that it's easier for people to follow what's going on. There was one post in particular early on that was a bit WTF.

I've liked the last batch of updates - good mix of explanation and detail.

Feelin' the love yet? :cool:

Thanks, everyone, especially PrawnStar - I love constructive criticism.

The Ming attack catches me off balance, but, fortunately, the nomadic military advantage is so great that it obviates the need for things like “strategy” and “tactics.”

Do I really need to show the rest of the war? They attack, I destroy them, I spend the rest of the war sieging some provinces and sending a reconnaissance division to whack new units as they spawn.

And here's the peace treaty (1504). My infamy was actually low enough to take some provinces, but WE was a problem, plus I wasn't actually getting any benefit from these provinces in the short run and still had severe AE problems.

1511 brings a new ruler, Senge, who still doesn't have the stats to form Qing. You all know the drill by now:

In 1514 I get another slider move. Slider moves are tied to your government type's administrative efficiency relative to the number of provinces you have, so the Oirats don't get a whole lot.

I was moving towards Market Economy at this point because that was where I was closest to modernizing again.

In 1515, Korea (with their Ming allies) decides to get feisty:

The war is easy enough on the military front, but one disadvantage of not being able to build a navy is that I'm constantly getting events like this:

I take one province in the peace settlement:

I think I've already explained my province strategy – take the provinces needed to cause the next event in the Qing formation series.

And finally, in 1519:

Not before time, either.

I once had AI form Qing and I went like :confused::eek:

Admittedly, Ming had very serious rebel problems and a handful of splinter states emerged; Qing with time devouring some of them and dominating the North.

It's interesting to see this feat planned and executioned rather than being a sheer fluke.
I believe with 9MIL ruler the moment is nigh.

I'll just pause here to note that it is possible to form the Mughal Empire as the Oirats, although not as the Qing. It should therefore be theoretically possible to unite the Mongol hordes, conquer a northern Indian province, form the Mughal Empire and then immediately form Qing, thus gaining all the cores of both empires. I believe that such a feat would be quite practicable, given the Oirat's enormous military advantage at game start, but I wanted to devote this game to catching up in tech rather than to military conquest. I therefore leave the possibility of an Indo-Chinese Empire as an exercise for the interested reader.

Back to the matter at hand, my strategy for the past six and a half decades has been directed towards ensuring that I can form Qing as soon as my leader permits. And so, I first Unite the Mongol Hordes:

And then Form the Qing Empire:

The effects are immediate:

One side-effect of changing religions is that all of my home provinces are now even more worthless, since they are, of course, my former religion. I move my National Focus to the new capital for this reason. Later National Focus moves would generally be designed to accommodate new structures, such as post offices and canal projects.

(I never did convert my home provinces, which led to intermittent revolt problems down the road).

If you'll remember my earlier post on the subject, the Qing formation process doles out cores in six stages:

1. On two bordering provinces when the hordes are united;
2. On the Ming capital and surrounding provinces when the Qing Empire forms;
3. On most of the rest of northern China when the cores in #2 are conquered;
4. On the rest of northern China when the cores in #3 are conquered;
5. On southern China when the cores in #4 are conquered;
6. On any minor breakaway warlords when the cores in #5 are conquered.

I've already completed the prerequisites for #3, so here it is:

(We're actually only a Major Power at this point).

I'm confused by that event description - you appear to convert to two different Government types. What happens?

1521 brings my fifth national idea. I pick Bureaucracy - it's always a good idea to get that one as soon as possible.

We've come a long way.

In 1523, Ming showcases the fact that the EU3 AI leaves much to be desired by declaring war on me.

The mighty Qing horde is no less fearsome than its Oirat precursor.

One of these days I hope to play a country with a navy.

Korea WPs out in 1524, while Tibet dogpiles Ming, taking two provinces I'll need to get cores on the south. In the interim, I take my cores from Ming:

1527 brings another slider move towards Market Economy. It costs me a stability point, which isn't so bad, since I'm at +3. Ht3 certainly made it easier to keep stability high as a warmonger. Later the same year, I take advantage of my new Good Government modifier to expand the bureaucracy.

In 1528, my nobles decide to recompense me for their fat new estates on Chinese land:

Nicely done. I guess Tibet wanted to get your attention. They prolly won't be too happy with what you do to them now that you've noticed them.

Last edited: