• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(63605)

Recruit
Dec 16, 2006
I haven't played CK in about a year, and was thinking of firing it up again, but then remembered why I stopped playing:

I liked all the changes in Deus Vult, except one: The lack of "breeding." I know most people hated the idea of creating superhuman heirs and such, but honestly, I never really get that far into each game for it to become unrealistic.

I hate it that the children are now essentially random genetically. I just bugs me on gut level. Anyway:

I am thinking about playing again, and am wondering, is there anyway of enjoying Deus Vult while using the original CK method of genetics? Like a mod or something? Or is it hardcoded in?

I would have searched for this topic, but for the life of me, I can't find a search option on these forums.

I haven't played CK in about a year, and was thinking of firing it up again, but then remembered why I stopped playing:

I liked all the changes in Deus Vult, except one: The lack of "breeding." I know most people hated the idea of creating superhuman heirs and such, but honestly, I never really get that far into each game for it to become unrealistic.

I hate it that the children are now essentially random genetically. I just bugs me on gut level. Anyway:

I am thinking about playing again, and am wondering, is there anyway of enjoying Deus Vult while using the original CK method of genetics? Like a mod or something? Or is it hardcoded in?

I would have searched for this topic, but for the life of me, I can't find a search option on these forums.

It is hardcoded but don't worry on average most characters will have higher stats then they had in CK. You will not notice that in the first generation but later in the game it becomes clearer.

Wait a second, isn't breeding in DV as well (or was it just toned down..)? I mean, I am pretty sure I see little superkids coming from two superhumans in an unmodded DV game. :confused:

No, there is no 'breeding' in DV, characters just have much higher stats in general. In fact the stats are to high for enjoying a good game, that is why there are mods that have events that lower the stats of characters.

Wait a second, isn't breeding in DV as well (or was it just toned down..)? I mean, I am pretty sure I see little superkids coming from two superhumans in an unmodded DV game. :confused:

I'm fairly certain that I read somewhere that parental traits had no "genetic" effect on the outcome of children traits in DV. They intended this to be "replaced" by the rearing events, I believe. In essence, every child's base traits are just random regardless of parent.

Can anyone clarify?

I'm fairly certain that I read somewhere that parental traits had no "genetic" effect on the outcome of children traits in DV. They intended this to be "replaced" by the rearing events, I believe. In essence, every child's base traits are just random regardless of parent.

Can anyone clarify?

He is talking about stats and you are talking about traits, which is not entirely the same. Parents' traits have an effect on the traits that their children will have, so it likelier that if a parent has a certain trait then the child might also get it.

Why was breeding removed anyway? I never played Crusader Kings until yesterday, but I read some AARs and breeding seemed fun.

Breeding was removed because it unbalanced the game, you could breed characters with such high stats that the most events didn't have the desired effects anymore.

In DV characters will get to high stats also, but not because of breeding.