+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Breeding in Deus Vult

  1. #1

    Breeding in Deus Vult

    I haven't played CK in about a year, and was thinking of firing it up again, but then remembered why I stopped playing:

    I liked all the changes in Deus Vult, except one: The lack of "breeding." I know most people hated the idea of creating superhuman heirs and such, but honestly, I never really get that far into each game for it to become unrealistic.

    I hate it that the children are now essentially random genetically. I just bugs me on gut level. Anyway:

    I am thinking about playing again, and am wondering, is there anyway of enjoying Deus Vult while using the original CK method of genetics? Like a mod or something? Or is it hardcoded in?

    I would have searched for this topic, but for the life of me, I can't find a search option on these forums.

  2. #2
    The Closer Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

    77

    200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    29,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Alceste View Post
    I haven't played CK in about a year, and was thinking of firing it up again, but then remembered why I stopped playing:

    I liked all the changes in Deus Vult, except one: The lack of "breeding." I know most people hated the idea of creating superhuman heirs and such, but honestly, I never really get that far into each game for it to become unrealistic.

    I hate it that the children are now essentially random genetically. I just bugs me on gut level. Anyway:

    I am thinking about playing again, and am wondering, is there anyway of enjoying Deus Vult while using the original CK method of genetics? Like a mod or something? Or is it hardcoded in?

    I would have searched for this topic, but for the life of me, I can't find a search option on these forums.
    It is hardcoded but don't worry on average most characters will have higher stats then they had in CK. You will not notice that in the first generation but later in the game it becomes clearer.

  3. #3
    Wait a second, isn't breeding in DV as well (or was it just toned down..)? I mean, I am pretty sure I see little superkids coming from two superhumans in an unmodded DV game.

  4. #4
    The Closer Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

    77

    200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    29,297
    Quote Originally Posted by eidahl View Post
    Wait a second, isn't breeding in DV as well (or was it just toned down..)? I mean, I am pretty sure I see little superkids coming from two superhumans in an unmodded DV game.
    No, there is no 'breeding' in DV, characters just have much higher stats in general. In fact the stats are to high for enjoying a good game, that is why there are mods that have events that lower the stats of characters.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by eidahl View Post
    Wait a second, isn't breeding in DV as well (or was it just toned down..)? I mean, I am pretty sure I see little superkids coming from two superhumans in an unmodded DV game.
    I'm fairly certain that I read somewhere that parental traits had no "genetic" effect on the outcome of children traits in DV. They intended this to be "replaced" by the rearing events, I believe. In essence, every child's base traits are just random regardless of parent.

    Can anyone clarify?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Veldmaarschalk View Post
    No, there is no 'breeding' in DV, characters just have much higher stats in general. In fact the stats are to high for enjoying a good game, that is why there are mods that have events that lower the stats of characters.
    So, no mods to revert it back to CK style breeding? Drat.

  7. #7
    The Closer Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

    77

    200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    29,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Alceste View Post
    I'm fairly certain that I read somewhere that parental traits had no "genetic" effect on the outcome of children traits in DV. They intended this to be "replaced" by the rearing events, I believe. In essence, every child's base traits are just random regardless of parent.

    Can anyone clarify?
    He is talking about stats and you are talking about traits, which is not entirely the same. Parents' traits have an effect on the traits that their children will have, so it likelier that if a parent has a certain trait then the child might also get it.

  8. #8
    General tului's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireKing Arthur II
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaNaval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesV2 AHD BetaPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Baja California
    Posts
    1,711
    The sticky "On Education Revisited" http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=409567
    has an ENORMOUS amount of information put into it. Within the contraints of the game, if you want to breed people, you need to read that.

  9. #9
    Why was breeding removed anyway? I never played Crusader Kings until yesterday, but I read some AARs and breeding seemed fun.

  10. #10
    The Closer Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

    77

    200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    29,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlstadt Boy View Post
    Why was breeding removed anyway? I never played Crusader Kings until yesterday, but I read some AARs and breeding seemed fun.
    Breeding was removed because it unbalanced the game, you could breed characters with such high stats that the most events didn't have the desired effects anymore.

    In DV characters will get to high stats also, but not because of breeding.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts