Why are Darkest Hour, AoD and Iron Cross not part of the same development?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mr_B0narpte

Field Marshal
12 Badges
Mar 15, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Darkest Hour
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Pride of Nations
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
I'm just curious as I find it bizarre that three (IMO) very similar games/ developments are working separately rather then making one awesome game! I also don't understand why they don't just improve AoD. Are there so many developers just wanting to compete with each other? Please shed some light. :)

i'm just curious as i find it bizarre that three (imo) very similar games/ developments are working separately rather then making one awesome game! I also don't understand why they don't just improve aod. Are there so many developers just wanting to compete with each other? Please shed some light. :)
+1

The 3 teams were unaware of each other, I'm sure. The realities of business prevent some opportunities. That having been said, all 3 are well thought out. I own AoD now and will buy both IC and DH. I would even pay for a 4th product that integrates all three.

The 3 teams were unaware of each other, I'm sure. The realities of business prevent some opportunities. That having been said, all 3 are well thought out. I own AoD now and will buy both IC and DH. I would even pay for a 4th product that integrates all three.

I would only pay for the 4th product

Please, don't talk more about this ;)

All products are differents, with special caracteristics, and differents compatibilities

More variety for the player (will have more options to choice)

But, please, don't continue with this thread :)

Thanks

All products are differents, with special caracteristics, and differents compatibilities

More variety for the player (will have more options to choice)

Thanks
One game with loads of mods and scenarios would be much better then 3 games with only slight differences. All those "different compatibilities" should be utilised in one game. And with more developers on one game, updates should come quickly and the game would be *perfect* in no time. :D Many people working on one game is better then 3 groups of people constantly competing against each other.

Mr_B0narpte, you just can't give it up can you? :D I feel kind'a sorry for those por devs ;)

+1 from me to obviously. :cool:

Let's just wait for diaries and continue our ramble then. :rolleyes:

Then a forth group will be tormenting them until they give permission for their work and then unite the best features of all 3 products into one final product, LOL :rofl:

Then a forth group will be tormenting them until they give permission for their work and then unite the best features of all 3 products into one final product, LOL :rofl:
:p I will be part of that group! :D

Me too, especially if the map they used combined the 4000 new provinces in Iron Cross, and intergrated them into the E3-based map of Darkest Hour.

Just out of curiosity, since you talk about integrating the games, what do you think would happen with the collision of...

Darkest Hour: Pretty much the same amount of provs, and a bit more events as in AoD.

Iron Cross: +4000 new provs and +6000 new events.

Not that I've made statistics or anything, but I would say the ratio of users would go 50-50, either preferring 'AoD - amount of provs and events in DH' compared to the new '4k+6k vision of Iron Cross'.

Who thinks 4000 provs are a bit too complicated? Who thinks 6000 events might be a bit too many popups during the game. But who wouldn't want to try out the sweet map they have made. And sure we're eager to see what the new events are about.

So that's one big reason why the projects are seperate; Their approaches to modelling the game are totally different. So how would that 4th Uber Combo Game work? You could pick in the game menu, hey I wanna play with 4k provinces this time. And let's set the events between 3k-4k, since 6k is a bit too much. Not gonna work. Kinda ironic, if you combine the two games, the player community would split to those who favour mega events and mega provs, and those who want less. So they'll always be something separated. :D

The devs are perfectly aware how most users have reacted to 3 seperate HoI branches. So let's just be nice and silent, and give them a chance to tell what they're all about, in the dev diaries, k? :)

also remember with darkest hour the game is starting in 1914 so you have 22 years of event to go thru if you playing a grand campaign type of game

I feel that this licensing scheme is going to be a disappointment if these two games aren't the final WWII HOI2 spinoff. I had hoped that making the engine available to teams would open up to WWI-centered games, Cold War-centered games, even alternate history scenarios similar to Kaiserreich. All this makes me glad that I never bought AoD. Whether Paradox is willing to admit it or not, they are giving their fans the choice between either buying all of these games, or choosing between AoD, IC, and DH. Or two out of three.

Because honestly, how many times can you wage the same damn war with the same engine?

Darkest Hour: Pretty much the same amount of provs, and a bit more events as in AoD.
Sorry, wrong.

Please stop speculating about DH and IC.
It makes absolutely no sense as one will be able to make them work together.
DH and AOD are two separate games. IC is an expansion. Period. You will make your opinion when they are released. In the meantime there are development diaries. Move on, people.

Because honestly, how many times can you wage the same damn war with the same engine?
I don't know about you but upwards of 50% of my gaming time is spent with HOI2 and AOD, so I would say a lot. The fact that the games run on the same engine is irrelevant, what is important is the magnitude of the changes. I wish people would stop belittling the differences, it is offensive to the work these developers and modders are doing. Honestly, if you have a problem with these games -- don't buy them. That will tell Paradox more than incessant complaining... Sorry if I come off harsh, it just seems weird that people complain about more content especially since it wasn't originally planned (unlike what other publishers seem to think DLC is all about).

also remember with darkest hour the game is starting in 1914 so you have 22 years of event to go thru if you playing a grand campaign type of game
They have already stated in the first Development Diary that there won't be a single Grand Campaign from 1914 to 1964, but several different campaign. So I guess that if you start in 1914 you will be able to play only for some years and stop before 1936.

I don't know about you but upwards of 50% of my gaming time is spent with HOI2 and AOD, so I would say a lot.

Ah, but you don't have to pay the price of a new game every time you fire off a new campaign in either game, now, do you?

AoD was supposed to be HOI: perfect edition. Now we have more games built off the same engine, about the same time period, competing with it. It's really watering down the brand. If I want to get a definitive, complete, WWII game based on the HOI2 engine, which one am I supposed to buy?

I wish people would stop belittling the differences, it is offensive to the work these developers and modders are doing.

Well I'm sorry, but if I want to get a better experience out of an engine, I can download mods and keep them or delete them. I don't want to have to buy a whole new game every single time I want a new experience with the engine. And please forgive me if I don't think you can exactly create RUSE or Commandos out of the HOI engine. I doubt you'll get a fundamentally different gameplay experience out of DH vs. IC vs. AoD. Instead, consumers will be left deciding between different kinds of improved AI, different kinds of more events, more provinces vs. more nations.

What is this, Madden?

Honestly, if you have a problem with these games -- don't buy them. That will tell Paradox more than incessant complaining... Sorry if I come off harsh, it just seems weird that people complain about more content especially since it wasn't originally planned (unlike what other publishers seem to think DLC is all about).

Don't worry, I won't be buying these games.

I had hoped that making the engine available to teams would open up to WWI-centered games, Cold War-centered games, even alternate history scenarios similar to Kaiserreich.
Agreed. It's quite disappointing that we have three HoI2 source code projects that only seem to be improvements to the base game. Meanwhile, Vicky and CK never had any such projects, and For the Glory seems to be dead. I really wish people would stop making and buying games about the WWII era.